Philosykos (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque

Itchynose
14.09.2020 - 05:49 PM
Helpful Review

The Rite of Spring

There is a fig tree in my back garden that keeps me busy all year round. Branches grow and extend all over the place and regardless of how many I manage to chop one year twice as many will take their place the following season.

During spring the garden is taken over by bees and bugs and in late summer, once the figs start dropping from the branches like hand grenades the insects multiply. Any attempt at gardening will leave me bitten, stung and with plenty of decomposing fig pulp stuck to my soles.

In autumn the massive fig leaves have turned brown and started to fall, waiting for the rain that will turn them into a wet and musty blanket all over the floor. Before winter arrives the last gardening tasks of the year are completed in preparation for the cycle to start again only a few months later.

Philosykos brings me back to this garden every time I spray it: I can smell the wet leaves, the wood and branches as they go through the seasons: very green and fresh during the spring-like opening, more woody as the scent evaporates with the summer heat and almost earthy during the autumn-like drydown. It smells clean, transparent and natural but also at times milky with an almost rubbery feeling, bringing to mind sticky sap. Since the fragrance recreates the entire tree and not just the fruit it remains a perfectly unisex fragrance throughout, light and easy to wear by anyone almost all year round.

One day I wlil move to another place and no longer have a fig tree to keep me busy throughout the year but I will always keep a decant or two of Philosykos to bring those memories back.

Latest Reviews

ItchynoseItchynose 1 year ago
Apple Brandy New York - Kilian

Apple Brandy New York Partying with Mr. Bond
Sidonie Lancesseur, the perfumer behind Kilian's Apple Brandy is also the nose responsible for many other wonderfully boozy scents such as Straight to Heaven, Single Malt or Frapin's 1270. To say she has mastered the alcoholic genre would...

ItchynoseItchynose 2 years ago
Eau Duelle (Eau de Parfum) - Diptyque

Eau Duelle (Eau de Parfum) Good things come to those who wait
Oftentimes the initial stage of a fragrance is the most exciting part and it's rare –at least for me– for the fading drydown to beat an opening full of fireworks. Eau Duelle is one of such exceptions: a scent that requires...