Tam Dao 2012Eau de Parfum

Tam Dao (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque
Bottle Design Servaire&Co
Tam Dao (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Diptyque for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is woody-spicy. It is being marketed by Manzanita Capital. Pronunciation

Daniel Molière

Mysore sandalwood, Cedar, Cypress, Coriander

Submitted by TheDrake, last update on 20.09.2020.

Tam Đảo ("Three Islands") is a summer resort in Vietnam.

Why, oh why...
When I got my first sample of Tam Dao EDT I was amazed with the scent itself, it was such a natural calming and relaxing experience for me I never ever had before. I immediately knew that I found the scent for my "meditative" hours. The only thing I did not like was the performance. Not that much the longevity, but the really poor projection. Then I saw that they made a stronger, the EDP version and after reading some reviews I was hoping that this will be a more sparkling and even deeper reflection of the original. Finally I got a sample a few days ago from this. What a disappointment. The scent totally changed. Changed? No, it did not, as for my nose this is a totally different fragrance, not even similar with the EDT version.

I really do not know what have the creator(s) done, but for me this is one of the most synthetic rubber smelling fragrance ever. The EDP is such a calming scent, just makes me happy and smiling while I am wearing it, but hell this one is out of this world. I can feel more cedar than Sandal.

I feel really happy that I could grab a sample and test this, I almost purchased a full bottle without testing it. I know that this was not the best review or the one someone would like to read, but I had to honest, at the end of the day it is all about our reputation...

Scent: 5/10
Scent for the price tag: 4/10
Sillage: 4.5/10
Longevity: 5/10
Occasion: Night/Special
Gender: Unisex leaning a bit on the masculine side
Age: 25+
Hopeful start
Tam Dao starts off pleasantly spicy fresh and green, I smell a note similar to mint here and can imagine that cypress smells like this in perfume. Very natural and mediterranean, I think to myself, this works great as a light evening scent in summer holidays or if you want to remember an evening from your last holiday. Unfortunately Tam Dao gets woody very fast in the drydown. Unfortunately, because I perceive a bitterly stabbing sweetness (sweet from the sandalwood, but what makes the note so pungent, I don't know), the fresh green disappears from the beginning. Now what blows over from my wrist only looks flat, is also very weak in charisma, even compared to other Diptyque EdPs. The rest smells like a higher quality men's shower gel and also has the corresponding durability and sillage.

The fact is, I don't know the name of any fragrances that have this Mediterranean-fresh spicy aura that Tam Dao wears at the beginning and I really like it. It is the only kind of scent that I find pleasant when it is worn by a person every day and is already flowing off their skin. This is fine, even if all the person's belongings (and anything in their possession even temporarily) are impregnated with it. But unfortunately Tam Dao takes another turn and breaks my illusion of having finally identified such a fragrance. Too bad!
Inner peace
At first you can notice a fresh - ethereal note, which brings a nice light citric - woody, earthy touch and is due to the myrtle.

At the same time a very soft balsamic, discreetly bitter - earthy fragrant note melts with the myrtle, which has something "liberating" with it and comes from the cypress.

These two notes are enveloped by a clear, discreetly soapy - pure note, which exudes a fine, bright, slightly transparent floral hint and I guess the Taif rose here.

This constellation is perceptible on my skin for 20 minutes before the heart note unfolds.

Now a strong dark and distinctive spicy note can be perceived, which has a very discreet creamy touch and comes from the sandalwood.

The sandalwood is accompanied by an intense, engaging woody note of cedar wood, which also has something soft about it and creates inner peace.

The heart note is perceptible on my skin for 3 hours before the base asserts itself.

The base becomes very densely woody thanks to the rosewood wood and receives from the white musk a beautiful clear, discreetly sweet aspect.

The spices and the amber I could unfortunately not perceive, but I can imagine very well that these two notes were used for completion.

Tam Dao is a pleasant companion in the spring, autumn and winter months for the gentleman aged 30 and over who is looking for a spicy, creamy and woody fragrance that will calm you down.

In total, the fragrance lasts 6 hours on my skin.

In the first 30 minutes, the Sillage is designed so that one is clearly perceived at one arm's length and then swings for 2 hours to a very perceptible half arm's length, before it is reduced in quiet steps to the end of the fragrance.

Pretty disappointingly ok.
Review based on a 2015 EDP version.

Nothing bad per se, but nothing new or creative either. Nothing wow about this at all. And, on my skin, absolutely no sandalwood. Nothing even remotely creamy. This is all about super dry cedar (definitely high on iso e super), incense, black pepper and a very powdery-amber. Traces of cypress and something resembling hay (very dry,dusty and grassy).

To me, this feels like a rather futile attempt to recreate the magic of Gucci Pour Homme I. The overall vibe is quite similar to me (I haven't tried Gucci Rush). In fact, just to be sure I just sprayed GpHI on my other hand for a side-by-side. Very similar accords. Just that Tam Dao doesn't go anywhere new with the concept. CdG did it with 2Man. DSquared2 has Potion which is quite an interesting take on the same concept. Tam Dao seems like it tried but gave up halfway. It smells decent, esp. if you haven't tried GPH1 or 2Man or Potion. But at this price one would expect something much more than this. And to add to these woes, this EDP is awfully short lived. I barely got 2 hours this morning - I re-sprayed again when I tried the GpH1, just to get the notes again. 2 Hours is pretty sad. Even Hermes colognes stay much longer than that.

But then again I don't know how much of this has to do with reformulation of the juice. I'm glad I only got the 10ml mini. I'll keep trying this to see if I'm missing something.

6/10

MaszmazsMaszmazs 141 days ago
A real meditative scent, already with mystical notes, warm and cool at the same time, dry and creamy ....
BarbalixBarbalix 159 days ago
For my personal taste it is too synthetic, nowhere close to its older brother, which is a more natural scent even if it has a shorter life.
ItchynoseItchynose 20 months ago
A woody cornucopia for hardcore wood lovers: Cypress, sandalwood, cedar, rosewood and some pencil shavings for the dry down.
KingPinKingPin 20 months ago
5.5
A bit overhyped imo, it’s a bit like Gucci by Gucci. Not bad, but nothing very special either. Cedar and some spice.

by Janag
by Merlina
by Couchlock
by Couchlock

Popular Diptyque

Eau Duelle (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Philosykos (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Eau Duelle (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Philosykos (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Volutes (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Fleur de Peau by Diptyque Tempo by Diptyque Tam Dao (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Volutes (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Oud Palao by Diptyque L'Eau du Trente-Quatre by Diptyque Benjoin Bohème by Diptyque Eau Capitale (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Vetyverio (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau Rose (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau des Sens (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque L'Ombre dans L'Eau (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque L'Eau de Tarocco by Diptyque