Tempo 2018

Tempo by Diptyque
Bottle Design Illustration: Safia Ouares
Tempo is a popular perfume by Diptyque for women and men and was released in 2018. The scent is earthy-spicy. It is being marketed by Manzanita Capital.

BergamotBergamot
Pink pepperPink pepper
Violet leafViolet leaf
Clary sageClary sage
Indonesian patchouliIndonesian patchouli
Maté absoluteMaté absolute

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 30.06.2021.

And it became light
First comment, well then;)

Hamburg, November 2020

So boredom had brought me here. Since I strolled just still with the shopping mien through Hamburg, bills in the eyes, everything had smiled at me in pre-Christmas mood, there I stopped in front of a shop. A perfumery - there should be such a thing. Douglas? No. But surely there's nothing like the blue (almost) fragrant shops? There is. When I risked a look, my eyes were opened. Greeted by a nice lady, this little shop in Große Bleichen didn't let me go for almost an hour. I was olfactorily deflowered that evening. It was perfect. The learning curve was very steep, so many new brands: Xerjoff, Montale, Frederic Malle and Diptyque, just to name a few that I got to test. One of the fragrances of the house of Diptyque is also the subject of today's article. Just the fragrance that reminded me of just that evening in downtown Hamburg: Tempo by Diptyque.

to the fragrance:

Patchouli can, but does not have to smell musty and like a stable. Skillfully combined and properly used it can even become a true gentleman note - Tempo creates that for me. Apart from the awful name, where the only conclusion is that the entire budget must have gone into the fragrance itself, Tempo is a seriously cozy patch scent for the colder days, the patchouli playfully embraced by the violet, making the whole thing feel very informal. Olivier Pescheux has pretty much delivered with this uncomplicated and beautiful realization. Filled in a noble bottle, the price is also right, definitely test it!

Introverted Patch
I have come to recognise the house of Diptyque has its own style and level of quality, and their patchouli pillar fits in just perfectly. Thank you for watching as always and I hope you enjoy the review.

Retroesk Soft Patchouli Violet
A very mild, almost vanilla start. Slightly sweetened soil, moist warmth. Something green.
Quiet. Warm skin and open hair.
Retro soft. Like an old light suede jacket, worn with pleasure. If you reach into your pocket, you'll find a handkerchief with violets

Baby Patchouli
Tempo is foremost a patchouli fragrance on my skin, albeit an exceptionally gentle one at that. Upon spraying, the spicy, medicinal and woody aspects of patchouli are there, but they feel so soft and tender that I start to imagine a baby patchouli if there ever was one. The creamy and gently powdered cacao nuance also makes an appearance, which further stretches the innocent feeling of this patchouli.

Although I love patchouli in general, I very often gravitate towards those more earthy, darker, bitter chocolate type of interpretations of this fantastically complex note. And when the patchouli is stripped clean and appears bright in mood, I tend to find them too sweet for my taste. Thanks to the overall gentleness of Tempo, I didn't find its sweetness unbearable to me, but not far though.

Thankfully, the sage and maté soon come to rescue, subduing the fruity sweetness of pink pepper with their herbal and slightly bitter aroma. Tempo then remains this occasionally medicinal and woody-cacao, but mostly herbal patchouli skin scent until the end. Although the fragrance is not dense, it projects moderately. The longevity is around 8 hours on me.

I personally don't care much about Tempo because of my own preferences regarding patchouli in perfumery. However, being one of the most mild patchouli fragrances that I smelt, Tempo might be a quite friendly start point to further explore patchouli, or an unobtrusive patchouli for daily routine thanks to it retaining the quiet elegance of modern Diptyque fragrances.

Nostalgia79Nostalgia79 10 months ago
It’s all about the dry-down!
VanAllanVanAllan 1 year ago
One of the few (dozen:)) scents I loved on the first sniff. It's a niche version of LIDGE for me, but made by another nose, a lost soul...
ItchynoseItchynose 2 years ago
A lot of patchouli and a hint of mate and violet leaf. Very earthy, a bit spicy and sweet. Usual Diptyque smoothness all round.
LillibetLillibet 3 years ago
A rougher-around-the-edges version of Coromandel EdP. Less 'polished' but with some lovely tea notes. If I didn't already have Coromandel...

by Rotkehlchen
by CharlAmbre
by Gürteltier
by Gürteltier

Popular Diptyque

Philosykos (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Eau Duelle (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Philosykos (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau Duelle (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Fleur de Peau by Diptyque Volutes (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Eau Capitale (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque L'Eau du Trente-Quatre by Diptyque Tam Dao (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Oud Palao by Diptyque Tam Dao (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque Benjoin Bohème by Diptyque Volutes (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau Rose (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Eau des Sens (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Vetyverio (Eau de Toilette) by Diptyque Vetyverio (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque L'Ombre dans L'Eau (Eau de Parfum) by Diptyque