By Man by Dolce & Gabbana

By Man is a popular perfume by Dolce & Gabbana for men and was released in 1998. The scent is spicy-woody. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesHedione, Nutmeg leaf, Pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesArtemisia, Lavender
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Ambrox, Gaiac wood, Leather, Sandalwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 02.12.2019.

8.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

The Legend of the D&G Zebra
...could also be the title of a film or a myth, a story full of thrilling moments.

No, this is the rare black and white striped D&G Zebra "By Man".
A very shy, expensive and rare species of a discontinued fragrance that is no longer visible in the wild
You can't get him in front of your binoculars on a scented safari. You can stalk yourself as quietly as you want. Unless you pay an expensive ticket to catch it, even smell it.

Some visitors of the safari have already seen it on parfumo, smelled it, admired its special beauty. The D&G Zebra.

Yes, the zebra is surrounded by a special aura. I can confirm that.
So I booked myself a ticket to experience the experience once. I ordered it "blind" and wasn't disappointed.

It marks its territory with a special, finely tuned fragrance. A unique assortment that no longer exists in this fineness and quality.

Male spicy Barbershop style meets a creamy soft sweetness with minimal floral notes (Hedion/Lavender). The notes blend perfectly and emanate from the zebra. Not too cute, just right. Wonderfully fragrant.

Now the entrance fees for the experience are justified? Recently a 100ml bottle was sold for 270,- here. 300-400 Euro are often common prices. No, the zebra is not worth that much in my eyes
But who has the possibility to include the shy animal in his collection at an acceptable price, should strike and give him a good home. Forever.
His species is highly endangered.
10.0 7.0 7.0 10.0/10

An animal paradox!
This rare zebra is really an animal paradox...

Black but white.
Originally not expensive but now priceless.
Not to get but by its clone quite easy to get.
Clearly for men but completely against the current and unconventional.
Mainstream but especially.
Fougère but not Fougère.

I tested BY MAN first with 10ml, and knew immediately: Wow, who can what.

It builds olfactory on the basis of a Fougère / Barbershop fragrance, but is creamy and softly painted over, to exactly the point where it no longer looks old, - but somehow modern to timeless, and infinitely sexy!

It's got a slight freshness and sweetness, imagine it a little like Prada L'Homme. Only a softer and more natural sweetness, better embedded, and thus more relaxed and natural. You could also think that "The One" from the same house is an idealistic successor, so- he smells different, but the concept of this sweet, smooth kind has been retained a bit. However, The One is much more mainstream and pleasing, simply for me has never had as much class and uniqueness as By. (:
By Man reminds me a little of bitter sun cream, but far more noble and focused. Also he has for me a slight reminiscence of Le Male, quasi this creamy sweetness WITHOUT the maritime part.

And as you can read between the lines, I think it's too good not to buy. Where we were at the point of availability..
As spoiled in my line-up beginning, there is a perfect clone of this fragrance tested by me.
"Intrigo Devastante Intense" by Parfums Vintage. I can tell you that I am very critical and mostly recognize when a fragrance deviates even slightly from the original. And this clone deviates only to the extent that the Creator indicates:
"Intrigo Devastante is based on D&G 'By' Man. Discontinued due to the soar in price of Mysore Sandalwood. He's also done an intense version of this with (sic) 'boosted naturals in the mid and overall concentration 1% more'."

But even with the Intense version (I haven't tried the normal one) the DNA is SO authentic that I don't think I would recognize it in the blind test... And the cool thing about it is, you can diesel in for the price and add that it is a pleasure. For this work I would like to thank Parfums Vintage, because it is for me as if they had helped to protect a world heritage :D

Anyway, for lovers of the genre and enthusiasts, I would like to recommend my new darling (No matter if the original or the clone).

For me, it has simply become a very fast fragrance, which I often use when I don't want to impress anyone at the moment, but simply want to smell excellent for me. He's always leaving, it makes me feel special! :))

Scent: 11/10 points. So get right into my personal fragrance charts (see my collection, the further up, the better) and get to position 2. (I'll embalm myself with a vintage bottle of La Nuit)

By by... uh Bye bye. ;P
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Fantastic masculine
I happened to stumble randomly across this fragrance in my local department store. While it has indeed been discontinued, this particular store is still selling it.

This fragrance, that I luckily had the opportunity to test, is quite amazing and unique. Perhaps it is its unique nature that caused this fragrance a lack of sales.

By for Men is a combination of herbaceousness, pepper and nuts. The scent itself is rather bold, a big commander of presence.

I found this perfume to be both sexy and soothing, particularly with the lavender note. In all honesty, I wore this fragrance on two occasions, and I concluded that this fragrance could be unisex.

The tobacco and sandalwood in the drydown, ends By for Men with a deliciously rich smokiness which I really enjoyed. Every time I think of this fragrance's beauty it makes me quite angry to think that in the near future, this fragrance will be a distant memory.

The longevity was very good and the sillage quite strong. The bottle design was also a hit with me. It's such a shame that Dolce & Gabbana didn't think this fragrance was worthy of remaining in their collection for the long-term. By for Men is refreshingly modern, and I feel that it deserves more praise than more recent releases like The One for Men and the Anthology series.

In freier Wildbahn in der Savanne gesichtet. Das scheue Zebra | Dolce & Gabbana - By Man (1998)
Dolce & Gabbana - By Man (1998) | the rare Zebra
by Morpheus1
Dolce & Gabbana - By Man (1998)
by Schücha
by Vawallpa
by Miki68
by Miki68

Popular Dolce & Gabbana

The One for Men (Eau de Parfum) by Dolce & Gabbana The One for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue (Eau de Toilette) by Dolce & Gabbana The One (Eau de Parfum) by Dolce & Gabbana 3 L'Impératrice by Dolce & Gabbana Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme (1994) (Eau de Toilette) by Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Dolce & Gabbana Dolce & Gabbana pour Femme (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue pour Homme Eau Intense by Dolce & Gabbana Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme (2012) (Eau de Toilette) by Dolce & Gabbana Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme Intenso (Eau de Parfum) by Dolce & Gabbana Dolce (Eau de Parfum) by Dolce & Gabbana Rose The One by Dolce & Gabbana The One Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Dolce & Gabbana The Only One (Eau de Parfum) by Dolce & Gabbana Sicily (2003) by Dolce & Gabbana Dolce & Gabbana (1992) by Dolce & Gabbana The One Desire by Dolce & Gabbana Velvet Desert Oud by Dolce & Gabbana K (Eau de Toilette) by Dolce & Gabbana