Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme (1994) Eau de Toilette

Version from 1994
Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme (1994) (Eau de Toilette) by Dolce & Gabbana
Bottle Design: Catherine Krunas, Atelier Dinand
Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme (1994) (Eau de Toilette) (Dolce & Gabbana)

Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme (1994) (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Dolce & Gabbana for men and was released in 1994. The scent is spicy-woody. The production was apparently discontinued.

Max Gavarry

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Mandarin, Orange
Heart Notes Heart NotesTarragon, Cardamom, Lavender, Pepper, Sage
Base Notes Base NotesIris, Sandalwood, Tobacco, Tonka bean, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 12.12.2018

Solid!
I don’t know how Pour Homme smells today, but I recently acquired an early Euroitalia bottle of this (mostly for nostalgia, as I wore this fragrance in the Nineties, without even loving it that much back then) and all I can say is that it smells, well, really good. Not exciting, not particularly fascinating... but just totally, really good. Almost astonishingly good. All I get is lavender, tobacco, a drop of creamy, slightly orange-infused citrus and a mellow, agreeably sweet base of musk, vetiver and tonka, initially briefly refreshed by a sort of Mediterranean herbal-tea accord in which I think I get mostly sage and something like thyme paired with, well, “something” that reminds me of juicy bittersweet black tea (that may be due to tobacco, though; fresh grounded tobacco has often a tea-like aroma).

The notes may sound a bit generic, while the result is inexplicably complex, totally unique and recognizable, way more than it may seem by reading the composition. In fact I can’t really think of anything similar to this, maybe some facets of vintage Dreamer by Versace for the same tobacco-musk-lavender “clean and warm” base, or some other tobacco designer scents, but that’s a long shot in any case since there’s quite something more – and mostly better – going on in Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme. I guess this uniqueness is due to the way musk, tobacco, tonka and citrus interact, they create “something” really comforting, clean (musk and lavender), slightly sweet and warm (tonka and tobacco, plus that “tea” accord I mentioned above) but with a really classy touch of tart, herbal citrus freshness, which altogether create an uplifting sense of confidence, affability and informality with a sultry shade of class, a perfect balance I rarely found in other fragrances. Guess this is an example of how a skillful, eclectic and mature composition smells like. Maybe uncreative, but not anything has to (try to...) be creative. Truly a soothing classy sillage with just the right hint of clean, smoothly modern and understated “genericness” which makes this fragrance a really enjoyable and solid everyday option, with a particular “youthful” vibe. Quite linear, but if something smells this nice, that’s just a plus.

Given the number of negative reviews I read about Pour Homme I assume that today it smells probably a bit more synthetic and harsh than it used to, and I can really believe that since the quality of Euroitalia works of the Eighties/Nineties was quite much higher if compared to today’s standards among designers – not to mention Dolce & Gabbana usual standards, which make Pour Homme even more a unique standout. The early Made in Italy version surely has some soapy-synthetic feel especially on the musky-lavender notes, but overall it has an undisputable solid quality and a remarkably rich, fulfilling and breezy texture that makes it really worthy a sniff – if not a blind purchase in case of good deals (way more than the nice albeit totally overrated By Man in my opinion, to mention the only other masculine Dolce & Gabbana scent worth some care).

7,5-8/10
~ Smooth D&G Casanova ~
~ Based purely on a generous sample gift of the vintage original formulation. This homme invokes in me the scent of a smooth operating Casanova. With it's long lasting lemon/lavender opening it surely had lured in many a wearer and wooed admiring noses in it's true smooth sandalwood sillage! My loyalty to Platinum Egoiste has kept me from discovering other nineties gems but this is one I am glad someone knew it is "a must try" sensual gentleman's scent. The sweet tobacco here is subtle, suave and oozes elegant sophistication. The lingering basenotes to me is where the tonka and wood work their magic captivating my taste. This would be a great D&G to rediscover as it's popularity in the spotlight has decreased but what a statement it could still make! I have never smelled the reformulation and I would be afraid to now and tarnish the image of my treasured 5ml of this masculine perfumery classic.
Kind Regards, Plat ~
Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
I have a miniature bottle of the original formulation and I've been wearing it a lot lately. I really, really like it. Reason being is I find it so versatile. Casual yet elegant therefore lending itself to being suitable for a day at the office or a night on the town. The original formulation is smooth. I don't find it cloying, overpowering or offensive in the least. Nothing about it disturbs my nose. It must really be of good quality as it doesn't trigger my allergies the way that some cheap colognes do. Starts off with a touch of citrus and settles into something soft, spicy and powdery. The fragrance is blended so well that it's hard for me to pinpoint each note. A wonderfully harmonious scent. It has no problem lasting on my skin all day and I admittedly enjoy when I catch a whiff here and there as I'm moving around. I also have the reformulated version and I do like it as well but not as much as I love the original version. The new version isn't as smooth or as well blended and leaves me wishing they had left it alone and hadn't messed with the original classic masterpiece. This is currently a favourite of mine to wear but I'm trying to make my tiny bottle last as long as possible so I don't run out too fast! A great men's scent that should be part of every guy's collection.
Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 6.0/10
Why reformulate?
This is classic. Great for summer and fall.

It has a nice citric open and then turns into a sweet tobacco smell with a hint of spices.

Good projection, sillage and lasting power.

I wonder why D&D did reformulate (again) this beautiful scent. My first one (1996) was much heavier than the latest (2012). I will not even try the new formulation.

Updated January 2014
Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 6.0/10
Masculine and sophisticated
D&G for men is certainly a strong and lasting fragrance.

My boyfriend had left town for a week and left me one of his shirts which is drenched in this scent. Five days on and I can still smell the scent wafting around my living room.

I absolutely adore the female D&G fragrance, and in some ways I expect the matching male fragrance to be similiar yet more masculine smelling. D&G for men isn't exactly the same, however it does have a slight powderyness which is reminiscent of its female equivalent.

Like most top-selling male fragrances, this scent starts off with a bright and refreshing burst of citruses. This is not something that I dislike, I'm quite the opposite when citrusy fragrances are worn by the other sex, (it tends to smell better in my humble opinion), yet there is nothing overly unique or different about this fragrance's opening that leaves me satisfied or panting heavily.

Actually I really don't find D&G for men sexy at all. I think it's more of a casual scent, one that you would expect an upper-class man with impeccable taste and an expensive suit to wear to work each morning. This fragrance to me says "business" not "come hither".

I must say that this fragrance evolves well. From the heart to the drydown, the scent gradually becomes sweeter and spicier until it becomes quite powdery yet somewhat bland.

I will probably have to wear this scent myself in order to establish my final opinion on this scent, but so far this fragrance has disappointed me.

MrHonest 11 months ago
If my youth had a smell, this would be it. The new versions can't hold a candle to the OG. Citrus-spices-sweetness. Masterfully done. Salut.+3
Bottle 8.0

• by Acamara by Acamara
  • Dolce - Dolce & Gabbana pour homme - 45 mm - 5 ml by DonVanVliet
  • by Pablomo by Pablomo

Popular Dolce & Gabbana

The One for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana The One for Men (Eau de Parfum) by Dolce & Gabbana The One (Eau de Parfum) by Dolce & Gabbana 3 L'Impératrice by Dolce & Gabbana Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme (1994) (Eau de Toilette) by Dolce & Gabbana Dolce & Gabbana pour Femme (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Dolce & Gabbana Dolce (Eau de Parfum) by Dolce & Gabbana Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme (2012) (Eau de Toilette) by Dolce & Gabbana Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme Intenso (Eau de Parfum) by Dolce & Gabbana Rose The One by Dolce & Gabbana The One Gentleman (Eau de Toilette) by Dolce & Gabbana Sicily by Dolce & Gabbana Dolce & Gabbana (1992) by Dolce & Gabbana The One Desire by Dolce & Gabbana Velvet Desert Oud by Dolce & Gabbana The One Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Dolce & Gabbana Dolce & Gabbana pour Femme Intense by Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Eau Intense by Dolce & Gabbana