Sicily 2003

Version from 2003
Sicily (2003) by Dolce & Gabbana
Sicily (2003) is a popular perfume by Dolce & Gabbana for women and was released in 2003. The scent is floral-sweet. It was last marketed by Procter & Gamble / Metropolitan Cosmetics.

Nathalie Lorson

Black roseBlack rose
Base Notes Base NotesHeliotropeHeliotrope
MuskMusk
SandalwoodSandalwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 09.10.2021.

A very special summer
Of course I had to write a commi to the adjusted D&G darling "Sicily", after all, on the beautiful island my father was born and my Italian side has its history. Live I have not witnessed the fragrance almost twenty years ago, for that one (s) has at that time still too little or not at all concerned with "women's fragrances". The still quite fresh reinterpretation of a few years ago I know a little better, but also not yet worthy of review.

This "original" between floral, gourmand and citrus is in any case a magic fragrance. For some probably a bit too heavy for May to August, for others one of the most precious fragrance diamonds ever buried. For me, it's just a damn great, bold, bright gourmand with more character than five of today's (designer) new releases combined. A mafia bride of the meekest sort. Straightforward and classy, yellow and warm. No wonder it ended up in D&G's more exclusive boutique ranks when it was reborn. And also became much more expensive. "Sicily" is a lover's fragrance in the fullest sense of the word, and a sun mama with a huge welcome bosom that makes you drool. And, for that matter, all of humanity, not just half of it. Most likely a "Mandorlo di Sicilia" in a bathing mood. Or evening dress. So versatile is this race dream woman.

Flacon: noble-minimalist
Sillage: summery-gourmandig
Durability: very persistent - 9 hours

Verdict: a sunshine between transparent marzipan and a citrus blossom waterfall on the outskirts of Catania. Incredibly independent refresher. Again, shamefully his "death". But at least here's a slightly updated, very serviceable "remake". But original remains original.

Rossiniopera
Not my perfect summer scent
I admit that Sicily has a certain summer vibe. I can imagine being on holiday, coming into a cabin that smells of old wood and recently used soap or cleaning products. A bush is blooming outside the open window. The sun is strong, but I forgot to bring my regular, unscented sunscreen, so I have to apply a different one bought at the local store, and I don't really like the smell. That's the feeling I get from Sicily. More like dry soap, cleaning products and chemical sunscreen than an actual perfume.

Perhaps it's a matter of skin chemistry - I have dry skin, and that is not always the best starting point, especially not with aldehydes. Perhaps Sicily smells sweet, warm and creamy on others, but on me it's not an ideal match. I was surprised to read several reviews on another site comparing it to Chanel no 5, because I cannot see any similarities at all. But then I remembered that there is a huge difference between vintage and modern no 5, and I am only used to the vintage. But six or seven years ago, when I tested the modern one in a store, I remember thinking that it smelled like - well - an old, dry, cracked-up bar of soap. So I guess they might have something in common after all...

Now to be fair, I must say that Sicily does mellow a little, a few hours after application. It gets just a little bit warmer and more golden. But still, I feel that this is a product of some sorts, designed for primarily another function than just smelling good, and sadly I am not really comfortable wearing it.
In memory
I have already experienced a lot in my professional life, many personalities crossed my path. Cordial, arrogant, choleric, vain, narcissistic, phlegmatic, bizarre personalities... the palette is colorful and diverse. Much I have (had to) endure.

One lady has imprinted herself in my memory like no other - gracious -funny.
Special people deserve special attention...extra cup please for Birthe.

Birthe (fantasy name that would have suited her better than her real one *chuckle*) is still fondly remembered by me. A colleague from long ago who left behind her opulent veil of scent. Wherever this woman was, a monstrous sweetness floated through the room, you were barely able to think. Engagingly stunning, heavy, unforgettable and yet endearing.

A trained foreign language correspondent, she could take on any client, no matter how difficult (hard to understand), I always listened to her explanations with fascination. I was not able to do that. She had a decidedly erotic voice, soft-dark and ingratiating, and I admired her for it. She had a very special way of interesting her counterpart in the most trivial things and many callers often asked curiously about her. A unique individual without equal. If afterwards sometimes the real getting to know took place, the disappointment / astonishment was often large.

It is strange that one connects certain conceptions of the voice with a certain appearance... Does it go you also in such a way? Does the voice match the appearance of the person in question?

Birthe was a heavy girl and had a penchant for distinctive scents. One of them was Sicily. One spray and the memories of my colleague are back. Starting fresh at first, floral accords quickly mix into the opening, with a certain soapiness, heavy jasmine blossoms and small roses climb the room, heliotrope tentatively mingles in. This mixture stays on the skin for a while. Very long. Minimal herbal interlude. Woody musk cushions the whole thing a bit and finishes very pleasantly and delicately with an elegant creaminess. Therefore wearable and very lovable. Like Birthe.

Bought the bottle in her honor. In nostalgic impulses I put it on from time to time. From time to time he pleases me better...

In memory of Birthe - never forgotten heavy girl. Hope you are fine.

Be squeezed, my love, wherever you are right now. Think of you often.

In the end, we're all the same. But smell sophisticated - exit in style.

The last shirt has no pockets.

See you soon...

MasterLi
A sweet, soapy... and grown-up fragrance.
Sicily by Dolce & Gabbana is an interesting one. It comes across as very summery and soapy, almost like the smell of creamy suntan lotion on warm skin on the beach. It has a very creamy banana note paired with jasmine and musk. I would describe it as a grown-up fragrance to wear because of the aldehyde vibe, which can come across as a little strong and formal (for boardrooms and business meetings), however I think anyone could pretty much wear it. It maybe have a kind of a strong, classic perfume vibe in my opinion but it certainly has it's place.

Complex, modern, vintage, passionate
"Sicily" is a unique fragrance. It's still available in Italy (my husband just brought it back for me from a trip to... well, Sicily, of course). It's hard to understand why D&G discontinued it in the rest of Europe, but probably it's too different from the other perfumes in their line-up. A weird outsider. "Sicily" is a modern fragrance which contains loads and loads of aldehydes which add an inspiring sparkle to the ingredients used in the top-notes. I can smell zingy bergamot and orange blossom, but can't share the "banana-connotation". D&G don't mention banana on their own homepage, btw. I checked, because I can't understand where the "banana-thing" comes from ... - anyway, no banana for me in "Sicily", but masses of jasmine instead. Jasmine appears as the dominating note in "Sicily" for me, giving the fragrance a feminine touch. "Sicily" by D&G also manages to conjure up that vintage lipstick smell which takes me back to my mum's makeup-bag. Jasmine, of course, is also very indolic. Mixed with a touch of iris on a fine base of musk and sandalwood, this "old" scent from D&G smells much sexier to me than their latest creation called "Desire". "Sicily" is a complex, strong fragrance which tickles my imagination. A fragrance not to be underestimated.

Powdery banana
Sicily is a lovely fragrance, a one of a kind type scent and for the life of me I cannot understand why this has been discontinued.

My immediate reaction to this fragrance was that it reminded me of a banana flavoured milkshake. The scent is soft, feminine, sweet and somewhat powdery.

Sicily is flowery, but not in a predictable sense. The honeysuckle, banana and frangipani notes gives this fragrance an exotic feel which is undeniably attractive. I honestly have never smelt anything like this before.

I enjoyed every aspect of this scent. From the tropical and fruity opening, to the delicate floral blend and nutty undertones in the heart, to the musky yet soapy drydown, all parts were breath-taking. Another added bonus is the fantastic lasting strength.

Along with the signature D&G for women fragrance, this is my favourite offering from Dolce & Gabbana.

Sunshine
In wiinter whenever I see sunshine from my window I am immediately feeling an urge to wear Sicily, when I feel the rays of the cold and bright winter sun on my face I can almost smell Sicily. That is the feeling i get from this very beautiful and distinctive perfume of the 00's.
I could never imagine this perfume was so recent, I get a classic aura from it, it is old school, it smells as a lady should always smell. Ultimately clean, happy, warm not inviting neither cold and distant, it is just right. It is soapy yet it is not harsh at all, it is actually the opposite, very cozy.. I think the key notes here are banana and iris, the fruit soothes it very much.
For me personally this would be in the 10 perfumes i would always want to have in my wardrobe.. It is the happy winter fragrance..
Winter sun, brown leather, orangre trees..

GorgiaGorgia 2 years ago
Sicily is like the kiss of the sun on your skin the white floral notes enveloping you skin in a kind of powedery sweet but softly spicy haze

by Tais
by Charlotte
by Arlufkin
by Arlufkin

Popular Dolce & Gabbana

The One for Men (Eau de Parfum) by Dolce & Gabbana By Man by Dolce & Gabbana Velvet Desert Oud by Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Eau Intense by Dolce & Gabbana The One Essence by Dolce & Gabbana The One for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Dolce & Gabbana Sicily (2018) by Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue pour Homme Eau Intense by Dolce & Gabbana Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme (2012) (Eau de Toilette) by Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue pour Homme Forever by Dolce & Gabbana Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme (1994) (Eau de Toilette) by Dolce & Gabbana The Only One (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Dolce & Gabbana The One Royal Night by Dolce & Gabbana The One (Eau de Parfum) by Dolce & Gabbana The One Mysterious Night by Dolce & Gabbana L'Impératrice by Dolce & Gabbana Dolce Garden by Dolce & Gabbana Velvet Cypress by Dolce & Gabbana Dolce & Gabbana pour Femme (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue (Eau de Toilette) by Dolce & Gabbana