The One for Men 2008Eau de Toilette

The One for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Dolce & Gabbana
Bottle Design Lutz Herrmann
The One for Men (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Dolce & Gabbana for men and was released in 2008. The scent is spicy-sweet. It is being marketed by Shiseido Group / Beauté Prestige International.

Olivier Polge

Top Notes Top NotesBasil, Grapefruit, Coriander
Heart Notes Heart NotesGinger, Cardamom, Orange blossom
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Tobacco, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 15.10.2020.

Alanitoo
A modern classic but with notoriously bad longevity!
What an amazing fragrance, hands down one of my favorites, rich and gourmand, perfect for evenings and colder days, but unfortunately it doesn't have the best performance. but i'll always be repurchasing this again. At least a decant to hold onto and wear once in a while.
RikR315
If it weren't for durability....
DOLCE&GABBANA The One is one of the first fragrances I was allowed to put in my collection. From the very beginning I was enthusiastic about The One, it is wonderfully spicy and woody sweet with a slight freshness that I can perceive. I chose the Eau de Tiolette version, which was a little sweeter and more pleasant for me at the time. Today I would rather go for the Eau de Parfum version.
Unfortunately, there's still the problem of durability, if it were much better, I would pay double for The One. Unfortunately the scent experience is only of short duration, about 3-4 hours. After that it is not really noticeable. The design of the bottle and the outer packaging are very well done for me. Because of the durability, I would buy The One again and again in the sale. The fragrance makes up for it somewhere, the problem with the shelf life Can anyone else recommend me a good alternative, which is already similar to The One but lasts longer?
Delijafrag33
Things always turn out differently than you think..
I had my first encounter with "The One Edt" about 10 years ago during a weekend trip in Zagreb / Croatia. Since I didn't find the city so exciting after all, I went to a perfumery and wanted to see if this could improve my mood a bit. After a few unsuccessful tests, it was The One Edt's turn and behold, my mood had suddenly improved significantly. I really liked the scent, did not think about it for long and took it with me immediately. But what came after that, I just could not understand. The scent was really great, but after only a short time it was no longer noticeable. I actually started to believe that it wasn't an original and that I was probably being knocked around... I didn't want to let it sit on me anymore and immediately went to the first perfumery near me and did more tests. And then it was also clear that I had an original perfume at home. I was really very disappointed and I couldn't believe that with such a beautiful scent you couldn't get more out of durability and sillage... From that moment on it was clear to me that I would not buy this perfume again. I kept at it for several years until I found it in a drugstore in a clearance sale about 3 years ago. 50ml for 15,- Euro was simply a great offer and I took it with me... The lousy durability was still there but the smell was still very nice. I wanted to wear it from time to time, but not necessarily on special occasions or if I wanted to impress someone with it, because I thought that after a short time nobody would notice it anyway... And how did it happen? Not at all what I expected, of course... About two years ago I had my first date with a special lady... But since I was very late, I forgot to put on perfume and ran out of the house "naked". I got in the car and it was only then that I noticed this disaster. Luckily I had The One in the glove compartment and what can I tell you now... "The One" charmed the lady that night so much that she now carries my family name. The One is her favorite perfume and so I will "be allowed" to buy it again and again... I have also tested the EDP a few times lately, but my wife says that there is only "the one" and that is "The One Edt"!

Perfect Excuse for Cuddling
I love amber, I love tobacco, and I love wood. Coriander and cardamom are two of my favorite spices. And orange blossom is a flower that I love in man's cologne. Thus, I seem The One is all about those elements, and I should like it. The brand defines it as "a spicy, oriental perfume developed on the harmony of tobacco with refined boisé notes".

The opening is strong with a predictable citrus-spice accord that disappears within a few minutes. It has a slightly boozy nuance on par with aged cognac. Then basil and coriander join, they are herbaceous and aromatic, but almost instantly, one senses a delicious ambery warmth rising from underneath. It feels mostly warm, a bit syrupy, and balsamic, with some surface fresh aromatic impressions.

The heart starts beating when something interesting begins to happen. The cologne starts to smell like freshly baked cardamom cookies. The spicy cardamom and ginger snap stage lasts a quarter of an hour and is enjoyable. When you think this scent can't get any better. The florals drop in to give this scent more depth and a slightly floral aura. Placidly the orange blossom appears sweetening the ground already smoothed by the notes that preceded it. A fruity and floral aroma seems to be present with peachy sensation followed by rooty licorice and strawberry custard, more as a background subtlety.

The One concludes with a pleasant vanillic, woody, and ambroxan accords that are present in about all the new 2.0 men's releases. The blend of these three accords is heavenly, a sweetly rich, slightly spiced tobacco. Tobacco militants should refrain from wearing The One: the dried and fruity tobacco that has so far recited a modest second violin becomes more tangible over time. It has slightly smoky and honeyed accents that evoke moist tobacco leaves well kept in a jar of glass. It is subtle, but noticeable and may contribute to the sweet amber stage of the fragrance, and blended with cedar tinge the fragrance with feelings of warmth and friendliness.

The One for Men has character. It has average lasting power and perfect sillage. It is forceful and appealing with a cool-weather vibe, ideal for cuddling up in the colder months. It is woody and distinctly wintery, yet not heavy or overpowering. To me, The One is perfect for any nightly scenario, but date night and close social situations are ideal for this scent.

For those who found beauty in a bottle of Vera Wang Man, The One might be, well that One!

-Elysium
A beautiful classic
Great fragrance unfortunately with too little durability as is well known. Find it extremely unique, although it has often been copied, there is still no way to get close to it. Will probably replace the EDT by the EDP, which Intense does not, it is too little "The One" in the origin and too sweet for me

Emorandeira
Nice skin scent. Not a perfume.
This is one of the most polarized perfumes that i own. Un one hamd It has one of my favourite smells. It is very simple, soft and fresh and perhaps not very original but i like it. On the other Hans It has one of the worst performance... AN average longevity (4-5 hours) but with a very week projection and a very little sillage (It projects only the first 30 minutes to become then a skin scent). I have Zara fragances with a better performance!! I think i would beber buy this perfume but i have recived It as a present so i am going to use It, even if i must reaply It every 2 hours jajjaa.
Regarding the smell It is ambery, with noticeable sweet tobacco and ápices. Indont think It is a very masculine scent, and inthink is better for a daily use since It is very soft.

If It would costo 20€ It would be really recommendable but for 70€ there are much better fragances with close smells.

Scent: 8.5
Longevity: 5
Sillage: 4.5
Quality/price: 4.5
Versatility: 9
Originality: 5.5
Global: 6.5
Good fragrance, weak presence
The fragrance pleases, but the designers have screwed the durability to "minimum". For my nose a lot of orange/grapefruit, which bed in spice. Too bad, 'cause that's hardly how it works. After about 2-3 hours I have to search for it very closely
sweet-spicier
The one begins very sweet and becomes from the heart note to a soft, creamy feel-good fragrance.
The shelf life is 7-8 hours and after 3 hours it is only warmable close to the skin.
All in all a sweet-spicy and warm scent for cosy hours in autumn and winter. Who would like to have stronger Sillage, should seize to the EDP version
Exinax
Such a good fragrance when...
...since not this miserable Sillage and the durability would be...

From The One you can easily apply 10 splashes and still don't get the Sillage, which other EdTs and EdPs release after only one splash.
It looks similar with the durability. After less than an hour, he's gone. Even if you smell directly at the sprayed area.

I really hope that both the EdT and the EdP will be reformulated to eliminate these vulnerabilities. The fragrance itself is fantastic and one of my absolute favorites.

MasterLi
A winner... a well made crowd-pleaser and great for warm weather.
This fragrance has all the ingredients to be a big hit. It has the clean citrus smells in the top (I mostly pick up grapefruit and ginger), and the amber and aromatic tobacco in the middle and base. It is instantly friendly and recognisable.

I do like it. I have been wearing it now for a while and find that it is one that "blends in" with skin and smells around you. It's certainly not offensive, and I think that anyone you meet will like this one.

Me personally, I think it's a very nice scent. Well made. I can't say it's the most "daring" or "original" composition, but it's certainly very nice. It's also I think a great choice for guys who are getting into fragrances for the first time.

My only drawback is that it won't last the whole day. You have to spray more to really feel it. I really love the presentation and the smell is perfect. If it just lasted throughout the whole day it would work better. However I think there is a temporary solution. You can apply this in hot and humid weather. This may even be (in my opinion just like Burberry London for Men a "summer oriental". So my advice would be to wear this in summer, and possibly spring or autumn. But never in very cool or cold weather. Not at all. Other than that it's a great choice and a very very nice smell which others will like very much on you.

A solid three star fragrance.

Nik604Nik604 79 days ago
In the very end only your individual skin matters! The whole world crying about bad longevity, but on me this thing lasts 10 hours!
ElysiumElysium 7 months ago
I love amber, I love tobacco, and I love wood. I seem The One's all about those elements and the harmony of tobacco, so I surely like it.
EmorandeiraEmorandeira 11 months ago
could be a great perfume with a better performance but the weak longevity and the even inexistent sillage dont add value to the nice smell
Jazzy76Jazzy76 14 months ago
warm, ssweet, lightly spicy with a Smoky accent, it's a good balanced fragrance wearable by her too! Average sillage and refined bottle
Carlitos01Carlitos01 18 months ago
A sexy EDT and a ladies pleaser. It's ONE expensive fragrance we can advise for a blind buy. An amber~tobacco gem but with low performance.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 2 years ago
It lasts one hour max
Syzygy73Syzygy73 2 years ago
A decent spiced amber scent that peters out a little too soon. With a bit more bang this would be an excellent fragrance, but alas not.

Der Maestro.
Vintage 2008 - das Erscheinungsjahr
by Tibor
by Tibor

Popular Dolce & Gabbana

The One for Men (Eau de Parfum) by Dolce & Gabbana Velvet Desert Oud by Dolce & Gabbana By Man by Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Eau Intense by Dolce & Gabbana The One Essence by Dolce & Gabbana Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme (1994) (Eau de Toilette) by Dolce & Gabbana Sicily (2018) by Dolce & Gabbana Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme (2012) (Eau de Toilette) by Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue pour Homme Eau Intense by Dolce & Gabbana The One (Eau de Parfum) by Dolce & Gabbana Velvet Cypress by Dolce & Gabbana L'Impératrice by Dolce & Gabbana Sicily (2003) by Dolce & Gabbana The Only One (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue (Eau de Toilette) by Dolce & Gabbana Dolce Garden by Dolce & Gabbana Dolce & Gabbana pour Femme (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Dolce & Gabbana The One Royal Night by Dolce & Gabbana D&G Feminine by Dolce & Gabbana Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme Intenso (Eau de Parfum) by Dolce & Gabbana