Dolce & Gabbana 1992 Eau de Toilette

Version from 1992
Dolce & Gabbana (1992) (Eau de Toilette) by Dolce & Gabbana
Bottle Design Catherine Krunas, Atelier Dinand
Dolce & Gabbana (1992) (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Dolce & Gabbana for women and was released in 1992. The scent is floral-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It was last marketed by EuroItalia.

Top Notes Top NotesBlack Pearl roseBlack Pearl rose
HibiscusHibiscus
Jasmine absoluteJasmine absolute
Heart Notes Heart NotesBergamotBergamot
HoneysuckleHoneysuckle
Base Notes Base NotesHeliotropeHeliotrope
MuskMusk
SandalwoodSandalwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 27.08.2021.

Forever and for Always
It was on a warm spring day sometime in mid/late May 1997.
At 19 years old, I was on my way home from trade school in the late afternoon.
At the time I was living with my boyfriend a bit out of town, rural, on the outskirts of town. Near the main train station, I had to change from the streetcar to the intercity bus.
This drove however only every half hour. I had just missed one and thus still had plenty of time.
The spring sun burned mercilessly and somehow I was dressed a little too warm. There were no benches at this stop, it was right on the sidewalk next to a large drugstore.
To pass the time and escape the heat, I went inside and looked around a bit.
When I got back out to the street, my bus was pulling up. I got on, looked for a seat, then I remembered the perfume I had sprayed on my wrist at the end. I smelled it and was immediately lost in love up to both nostrils. WOW! What a fragrance! Warm, sensual, powdery, elegant - I had never smelled anything like it before. I kept sniffing it on my wrist, couldn't get enough of it.
Completely intoxicated I came home and told my friend about it. Soon after, on the next occasion - it must have been my birthday - I got this fragrance as a gift.
Since then, he accompanies me through my life.
In younger years, I wore him only on special, solemn occasions. There were others beside him at that time: Diors "Dolce Vita", Valentinos "Very Valentino" and also Boudoir of Vivienne Westwood stood in my perfume shelf.
However, the more I gained in years and maturity, the more often I used it in everyday life. Then in my 30s, it became my signature fragrance. There were no others besides it. The fragrance was me and I was the fragrance - inseparable.
It's commonly known about symbiotic relationships that they often don't have a good ending. And so it came, as it had to come:
One fine day in 2015, I wanted to buy a new bottle in the perfumery of my confidence, because the filling level of my current bottle was threatening to end.
Somewhat confused, I stood in front of the perfumery shelf, but could not find my favorite fragrance. So I approached a saleswoman and asked for the D&G women's fragrance with the "red cap".
I was not prepared for the answer and it hit me full broadside: "There is no longer for some time so. The fragrance has been reformulated, got a new bottle...", with quick steps she walked towards the shelf and reached for a bottle. Slowly, as if I had concrete blocks on my feet, and incredulously, I followed the eager saleswoman "That's what it looks like now! However, it's a completely new scent: more modern, more contemporary. Here, try it" Still not thinking clearly, I held out my forearm to her and received a generous sample. After a short wait, I smelled it, holding in my innermost being the tiny hope that this could all be a bad joke. But this hope died with the first sniff and once again it hit me hard. Completely horrified, I shouted that it couldn't be, that this had "always" been MY fragrance. The saleswoman shrugged her shoulders with little sympathy. Desperately, almost pleadingly, I asked if she really didn't still have a bottle of the old fragrance somewhere, which she answered with another shrug of the shoulders and an "Unfortunately, no".
Deeply dejected and about 1.50 meters shorter than when I entered the store, I crawled out. Since I always used the fragrance very sparingly (a spritz on the neck is enough for the WHOLE day), a large bottle lasted me a very long time - and since the fragrance had always existed for me and it was undisputedly the most beautiful fragrance in the world, it had never occurred to me that it could be taken off the market. I was able to get hold of a bottle at a large German mail-order company - but it still stands in its original packaging in my drawer. The contents seemed much too precious to me. For a long time I mourned and felt as if a part of me had been lost. Two half-hearted attempts to find a new fragrance for myself failed miserably. If I can't have my Dolce & Gabbana "Red Cap", then I won't wear a fragrance at all! And so a few years passed until my dear cousin told me about Parfumo at the end of 2020... It took almost three quarters of a year until I could warm up to the topic of perfume again.
My first review is of course for my first, but recently not only love.

The fragrance I can not really describe in itself, or dissect him nasal into its individual parts.
But I can say that it is an incredibly strong, sensual, elegant, warm-cool, noble, velvety, heavy, feminine femme fatale fragrance. A discreet dosage is absolutely necessary here and decides on hop or flop!
Immediately after application, it can sting quite a bit in the nose and you do well to apply some patience. Already after a few minutes, when the body heat begins to unwrap the fragrance wrapped in red velvet, its magic unfolds. Certainly not a fragrance for every woman. The wearer must already put a certain dominance and strength to the day to be up to this fragrance.

The fragrance was at the time of its launch the first fragrance of Dolce & Gabbana ever. He had therefore also no name. It was simply the Dolce & Gabbana perfume for women and in time was also nicknamed "Red Cap", because of its red cap.
The original version was distributed by Euroitalia with "Made in Italy".
At some point, D&G then switched to Procter & Gamble with manufacturing still in Italy at first, then later "Made in Germany".
Even then, a small change in the fragrance took place, which had not bothered me much, however, because the fragrance remained true to itself on the whole.
Today I have both versions (Euroitalia "Made in Italy" and P&G "Made in Germany"). In direct comparison, the original version (Euroitalia "Made in Italy") is a little more refined and profound than the one from Procter & Gamble when you smell it closely. Nevertheless, I do not find the difference serious.
Apparently, the outcry of D&G wearers was quite loud and not everyone has fallen into a long-standing paralysis of shock, as I did at the time. In the meantime (as of 2021), the "Red Cap" is once again available for purchase in online stores. Distributed now by Shiseido/Beauté Prestige International, "Made in France".
However, I have NOT yet smelled the current version. To be continued!

Vintage Dolce & Gabbana style
This one is a bomb... an absolute bomb of aldehydes!

It's almost like a Chanel No. 5 on Steroids!

That being said, here's what I get out of it: Bright Aldehydic Soap aroma, Florals, Sanadalwood, Herbs, and Musk. I'm reviewing the eau de Parfum, and there is a difference between it and the eau de Toilette.

To me this fragrance is the ultimate "Diva" perfume! It's loud, it's bold, and slightly soft at the same time. It's not harshly loud... but it certainly announces your presence. Very strongly soapy and floral. It's very bright and that's something I like about it.

I could see an immaculately dressed Italian woman wearing this. Wearing a white suit and with huge, very loud style. This is a "power fragrance", you don't get anything like this today. The aldehyde burst really sets the tone. I think that the Eau de Toilette is a lot more wearable, but if you like big aldehydes done the old fashioned way then go for the EDP. It smells very similar to Sicily by Dolce & Gabbana (also sadly discontinued), and a little like Samsara by Guerlain (the sandalwood aspect).

This is such a grown up fragrance. Not for little girls! It commands power and respect, like when a strong, powerful, beautiful woman walks into a room. What an impression! This is the Real Dolce & Gabanna!

Jbells
Having your head in the clouds
I ordered a sample of this by accident while looking for D&G Pour Femme. But oh, what an amazing mistake to make!

I have never smelled a fragrance with lots of aldehydes before, so I wasn't too sure what to expect.

In the bottle, it smells like powdered skin. Sprayed on, the first thing I get is a cloud of powder with a little floral, that I can almost taste on my tongue. Nothing impressive.

Soon after, it develops into a very "airy" feeling, which Ouch (from YouTube and also Fragrantica!) pointed out was what aldehydes can be like! If I could describe it, I'd say it was airy with a kind of powdery taste on your tongue. It's like if you were on a tree in the clouds and you could smell the tree and your own skin. It persists in forms of this for a long long time - sometimes its very floral, at other times, its more green.

There is no creaminess in this at all. It's just ... air. But fragrant air, if that makes any sense. It's soft, but doesn't hide. It demands attention, but in a gentle, caressing manner.

Longevity on me was brilliant - I lost count after 12.5 hours. After about 2/3 of that time, it became a noticeable skin scent.

This is what I would go to if I want to feel like I've got my head stuck in the clouds. It's lovely in a slightly unconventional way.

Feisty Floral
A beautiful woman with an aura of independence and elegant sexuality is walking over an Italian piazza where the shops have the doors open and the scents of spices, citric fruits and the smell of heavy florals in bloom is surrounding her. Men look and admire her as she confidently walks on to meet her lover for a cozy tête à tête in a cafe. That is the feeling this pretty D & G perfume conveys.

It opens up with a blast of cinnamon spiced citric fruits that smell fresh in a spicy way. Then the florals open up and add a soapy and super comfy sense to this aura of beautiful smell.

It's fresh and heavy at the same time. A wonderful signature scent and a confidence booster. Great for that special date when you want to stand out from the crowd and make a statement. Or just because you want to smell differently from the mainstream.

The silage is : "I am strong and unusual but oh so pretty" -- Longevity is wonderful, on me 8+ hours of intoxicating Italian beauty. Sample on skin before purchase because this one can cause problems on some chemistries.
Good luck! : )

The Firer Side of Chanel no 5
Floral Aldehydes for a modren crowd when you think of a aldehyde perfume you think of a granny scent not with this this perfume this one can balance between
vintage and the modren it sweetins the
the aldehydes with freesia and marigold
to appeal to modren women but it also
adds basil ivy coriador and sandalwood
to add to a nostaligic zeiltgeist.
it's spicy but not intrusive.

i whould be picturing on a sunday mass circa 1950's Italy where women all wear white conservativly and men with their sunday but conservative best suits but suddenly the church doors open and to everyone shock dismay a beautiful woman tall slender with short black hair and dark skin wearing a bright cherry red
form fitting dress with a red hibiscus in her hair walks slowly to the pews and sat down and everyone gasped. or
i think of Margo Channings in
All About Eve in all about eve this whould be a perfect scent for her a diva of a perfume just next to chanel no 5.

Make Way For Aldehydes
Dolce & Gabbana D&G has a decidedly perfumey quality to it: strong, aldehydic, complex and soapy. These to me are all virtues in a perfume, particularly in an olfactory universe being slowly taken over from the one side by shampoo and hairconditioner frags and from the other by insubstantial sugar spray solutions.

I definitely understand the advocates of D&G, given its obvious virtues. I happen to prefer my aldehydes in a clear, crystalline, transcendent form best exemplified by CALECHE and WHITE LINEN extrait. D&G offers, in contrast, a somewhat muddied aldehydic note, and the soap, too, actually seems somehow dirty. But I think that preferences in aldehydes are very subjective, and so I'd say that anyone who can tolerate them at all should give this creation a chance. It's not really for me, but I respect it for what it is.

Classical aldehyde bomber with 60s appeal
I'm surprised there are no aldehydes listed for this fragrance here, because they nearly throw me off my feet. (Fragrantica gives Dolce & Gabbana as an "aldehyde-floral fragrance" and I can only confirm this.)

I also detect strong hesperidic notes that give this scent a top note as penetratingly fresh and clean as a urinal cake. Tangerine in the artificial Tri-Top version liberally seasoned with lime juice from the green lime-shaped plastic bottle and mixed with said aldehydes: I found this rather off-putting.

After that the florid notes speak up, pulling this concoction away from urinal cake to a human-appropriate clean soapiness. Jasmin, rose, honeysuckle - I buy this. Also spiky-sweet citrus blossoms and a sultry subliminality as of - well, I don't know. One of those flowers you need to put out of the room after a couple of hours because they give you a headache. Hyacinths, lilies, something of the kind.

The top note is so obviously not for me that this fragrance never would have made it onto my skin had I not bought it blind. But I did, D&G being a renowned brand and the velvety red box being so seductive, plus interesting comments on various perfume sites and the irresistible "when it's gone it's gone" offer. And now I possessed this juice I had to test it properly.

"Properly" definitely means sparingly with Dolce & Gabbana! Aim for a gentle mist sprayed from a certain distance so it can fan out finely before it settles on the skin, that's how it should be done. Beware of applying a wet, concentrated splash! That's how to get people to backing off...

As I said, it pays to sit out the top note, because Dolce & Gabbana develops nicely. The cleanliness stays but not the urinal cakeyness, thank God. The scent grows softer, more feminine and exudes a very present self-confidence probably owed to the aldehydes. It doesn't feel like a very young fragrance, as there is nothing playfully romantic in it, this is a grown-up, elegant ladies' fragrance you have to be equal to.

And I think it doesn't really smell like a 90s fragrance but a good ten, twenty, thirty years older which I put down to the aldehydes as well, having had their heyday not in the nineties but a number of decades earlier.

The base note is classic and unsweet, delicately flowery, soft and clean, at least from close up when I put my nose close to my skin. What wafts to my nose from further away now and then is different, irritatingly aldehydic and reminding me of a much older scent my mother used to have as a mini in her dresser. "Madame Rochas" I think it was, the 1960 vintage version obviously. Another of these elegant little aldehyde bombs.

Skin chemistry seems to play an especially big part in this fragrance, and the hormonal cycle seems to have an impact as well. On some days this scent becomes right horrible (not necessarily the certain ones), on others it becomes an elegant and radiant beauty.
If all goes well, Dolce & Gabbana's top and basis note develop a soft and classical femininity which even remind me quite a bit of Chanel No. 5. And, as I mentioned before, of the vintage Madame Rochas.
If you like those you really should try Dolce & Gabbana as well if you get the chance.

For me it's a tad too retro, I'm afraid...
Or is it?

Sexy classic : bring it back!
Never in my life would I have ever thought that a fragrance of this kind would sweep me off my feet. Normally I dislike powdery scents, but D&G is so much more than baby powder.

This fragrance is such an interesting combination of both sweet and sharp. The aldehydes aren't as strong and soapy as in Chanel No.5, rather they are softer and more delicate. If Marilyn Monroe had said she wore only a few drops of D&G to bed, then I would've understood her completely. This scent is so incredibly feminine and sensual.

In my opinion, D&G defines sexy. Whenever I wear this, I feel the urge to crawl into bed next to my lover and whisper sweet nothings into his ear. Because this fragrance is so soothing and warm, it also does wonders in settling nerves or anxiety, meaning it would be perfect for those job interviews and first dates.

I love that this perfume is memorable. It's not a scent that people will forget when you leave the room. The lasting power is also fantastic, I can still smell it seven hours after applying.

If you're looking for something clean-smelling, versatile, seductive and classy, this is my recommendation.

Jazzy76Jazzy76 4 years ago
I miss you so , dear Dolce & Gabbana vintage! I was addicted to your warm and aldehidic winter bouquet ! The new version is another world.

by 0815abc
by JJ84
by NikkRouse10
by NikkRouse10

Popular Dolce & Gabbana

The One for Men (Eau de Parfum) by Dolce & Gabbana By Man by Dolce & Gabbana Velvet Desert Oud by Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Eau Intense by Dolce & Gabbana The One Essence by Dolce & Gabbana The One for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue pour Homme Eau Intense by Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue pour Homme Forever by Dolce & Gabbana Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme (2012) (Eau de Toilette) by Dolce & Gabbana Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme (1994) (Eau de Toilette) by Dolce & Gabbana The Only One (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Dolce & Gabbana The One Royal Night by Dolce & Gabbana Sicily (2018) by Dolce & Gabbana The One (Eau de Parfum) by Dolce & Gabbana The One Mysterious Night by Dolce & Gabbana L'Impératrice by Dolce & Gabbana Dolce Garden by Dolce & Gabbana Sicily (2003) by Dolce & Gabbana Velvet Cypress by Dolce & Gabbana Dolce & Gabbana pour Femme (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Dolce & Gabbana