Oud Wood by Duftanker MGO Duftmanufaktur
Oud Wood is a popular perfume by Duftanker MGO Duftmanufaktur for men and was released in 2018. The scent is woody-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesThai oud, Angelica root, Tobacco
Heart Notes Heart NotesGalbanum, Patchouli, Gaiac wood
Base Notes Base NotesBirch tar, Leather, Tobacco, Vanilla, Benzoin, Labdanum

Submitted by Caligari, last update on 03.11.2020.

Chizza
Theme scent, today: the attic
Sometimes there are scents that remind us of places and when we mention them, we all know exactly what the place smells like and how it smells. Oud Wood from MGO triggers something like that in me. If someone asks himself if this smells similar to the better known Oud Wood: no. Continue with the text. At first it was incredibly difficult for me to grasp Oud Wood. Little by little I began to understand what he reminded me of.
He reminds me of dusty attics. It reminds me of libraries with the smell of printed paper that smells dry and faded. Actually, it is similar to an attic because it is also very dry due to its dustiness, often wooden furniture or boxes with books in them are stored in the attic. This typical smell there is for me Oud Wood.
I am not an expert on oud, but I know that this ingredient smells different depending on its origin and can sometimes take on this dry smell. MGO combines this with the angelica root which gives a strong expression in this respect, especially at the beginning. The characteristic features suddenly jump at you, which is achieved by the pungency and the bitter aromatic element of the angelica root. This is daring and not very pleasing as this bitterness and at the same time pungency are not very suitable for the masses.
For those who have found this fragrance pleasant so far: the intensive phase of the fragrance has been mastered. The course of Oud Wood is very linear, only the base is becoming more and more apparent. Birch tar plus vanilla and then tobacco, this is not an easy combination. Very quickly this composition can not be balanced. Here this has been implemented brilliantly.
One notices the birch tar; the racy intensity, which polarizes, is reduced by the vanilla. As this melange later dominates the fragrance, we now have the effect that it actually smells of dry wood, but without a leg note. The tobacco doesn't provide another sweet note, but rather a spice, which is good for the fragrance.
Overall, Oud Wood is solid for me because the beginning seems a bit half-baked and penetrating to me. Successively this impression is worked out and after a few hours I like this product quite well. Because of this discrepancy I stick to my assessment of a solid fragrance. Either way, it is a fine concept fragrance.
With thanks to Medianus for the test possibility!

"Black Gold"
After receiving a small sample (thanks to Caligari), I was surprised to see a name you often see on the high street. Oud Wood, I thought to myself, sounds like another aspirational attempt to re-interpret one of the earlier and well-known creations that has introduced oud to the Western market. However, I could not have been more mistaken.

Perhaps a misnomer, Oud Wood opens with what one could describe as a dark dry earth smell. It creates a void that slowly pulls you in, enveloping you gently with dense smoke. Through this darkness, the only thing you can sense is the silent crackling of tobacco leaves as the fire slowly consumes them, turning them into ashes. This darkness lasts for several hours before you are brought back to detect that the dark dry earth is covered with a layer of dark dusty cocoa shells. By no means is this perfume a gourmand. The chocolate-like smell must, to the best of my knowledge, come from the patchouli which frames the other woods and tobacco. What you get is a layer after layer of different shades of black.

Only during the final stage—which emerges after 10 hours on my skin—do you feel the vanilla which creeps up slowly from the base, giving the whole composition a bittersweet tingle. This is not the yellow vanilla flower that is present here. Instead, it is the black bean itself. After about 12 hours, the scent bids farewell leaving you both puzzled and craving for more.

In conclusion, if you are looking for a crowd-pleasure, this is probably not the scent for you. However, if you are looking for a masterfully blended, unique creation that bears no resemblance to whatever is available on the "niche" market, this should be high on your list. This is not just a scent, it is an experience!

Disclosure: My review is based on two sprays from a sample, thus, the quantity sprayed was very small. Nonetheless, the performance was outstanding.

Harmony
My eyes have to get used to the darkness. Small windows let the sunlight cut through the room in sharp rays. Meeting on three rows of old wooden benches. The dark brown contrast, which seems to glow, exaggerates the otherwise dark scenery.

I sit down and perceive the distinctive scent of old wood in this small chapel. She must be at least a hundred years old. Like her outfit. A mixture of wood maturity of the altar, the benches and fixtures and the aromas of the long gone incense are characteristic. Have formed an olfactory unit over all the time. Even if there hasn't been a fair for a long time.

The longer I sit, the more I perceive the walls with this smell of fresh, moist earth. When my shoes drive over the uneven floor, everything mixes, more and more, with this smell of the past time.

With each inhalation dwell in a place of peace and silence. Over hours.

With Oud Wood, MGO has created a warm, resinous, deeply emotional fragrance for me. A large part of the experienced, venerable smoky-woody warmth I beat to the Oud that causes this magic out of itself. The difference shows, from real oud to synthetic. As well as the resins, galbanum and labdanum, in high, natural concentration. Everything is completely coherent. And has a very calming aura.

After hours, and almost unnoticed, the mood opens somewhat and leather and tobacco complement it. Matching the colors of the fragrance. Dark brown. And warm.

After 10 hours (!) I have a little bit of benzoe-smooth vanilla shimmering on my skin and gives everything a softer finish.

With this fragrance I first felt reminded of Ó Hira and Oud 777 - especially in terms of resinity. And now I have to admit that I find the creation of MGO to be much more beautiful, harmonious and, above all, touching.

The fragrance radiates an unbelievable peace and serenity.

Harmony.

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 3 months ago
Initially spicy smoky-woody, this gentle and earthy oriental-leathery fragrance slowly settles to a warm sweet-resinous base. Nice evolution

Benzouly
by Floyd
Old Wood
by Floyd

Popular Duftanker MGO Duftmanufaktur

Pour Homme by Duftanker MGO Duftmanufaktur Dubai by Duftanker MGO Duftmanufaktur Honey Oud by Duftanker MGO Duftmanufaktur Man Rose by Duftanker MGO Duftmanufaktur Black Forest by Duftanker MGO Duftmanufaktur Hypnosis by Duftanker MGO Duftmanufaktur Ambra al Andalous by Duftanker MGO Duftmanufaktur Black Amber by Duftanker MGO Duftmanufaktur Narcosis by Duftanker MGO Duftmanufaktur Sublime Vanille by Duftanker MGO Duftmanufaktur Aqua Andalusia by Duftanker MGO Duftmanufaktur Amber Rose by Duftanker MGO Duftmanufaktur Barbershop by Duftanker MGO Duftmanufaktur Pine Forest by Duftanker MGO Duftmanufaktur No. 1 by Duftanker MGO Duftmanufaktur Hindu Gras by Duftanker MGO Duftmanufaktur Odeur Poudreè by Duftanker MGO Duftmanufaktur Aristokrat by Duftanker MGO Duftmanufaktur Mystik Oud by Duftanker MGO Duftmanufaktur Library Visit by Duftanker MGO Duftmanufaktur