Custom (2011)

Custom by Dunhill
Custom (Dunhill)

Custom is a perfume by Dunhill for men and was released in 2011. The scent is fruity-woody. It is being marketed by Inter Parfums.

Top Notes Top NotesApple, Fruity notes
Heart Notes Heart NotesBlack pepper
Base Notes Base NotesFrankincense, Cedarwood

Submitted by Skylab, last update on 25.11.2018

Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 6.0/10 Scent 6.0/10
A spicy and roasted apple for teenagers
I bought this perfume blindly for some Fragrantica.com reviews, and because, their notes, except the apple, I love them, but, in the end, I've taken a huge disappointment.

I had made very high expectations, and I have fallen to plumb, and that the smell smells good and I like it, but, I do not know where they are, cedar, pepper and incense, there is only apple with nuances of other notes, nothing more. In my skin is linear or almost, it smells like a very spicy roasted apple on a background ... woody ?, is this really cedar? Go soft wood, it is almost imperceptible, I would not call it wood, anyway ... The final drying is almost the same, only the apple loses that fruity sweetness, and it shows something drier and smoked, and especially I do not I would call it smoky, rather I have a Cinderella feeling, like a leaden ash, which is not unpleasant, but neither of my complete taste.

I had another kind of scent in mind, I was expecting a spicy and woody incense with fruity nuances, and there's nothing like that. It is a very youthful perfume, very fruity and with spicy nuances, ready. A simple perfume that smells good without more.

Luckily I caught the 50ml bottle with a good offer and it came out very cheap, which, if not, my belly would have hurt a week.

The performance is laughing, about 4 hours, with a wake stuck to the skin almost from the start, except for the first 10 minutes that could be moderate, the rest is a perfume that sticks to the skin since you throw it .

I see it as a perfume of warm and temperate climates, and of arbitrary use, it does not matter if you wear it day or night, its softness and low projection make it a very versatile perfume in that aspect.

Particularly, I would not recommend it, unless it was a gift for a teenager who only wants to smell good, and does not care about the rest, in this case it is a good perfume, but for people who know this world, It is a dispensable perfume.

Sorry for my bad english.
Clever concept, so-so quality
My expectations for this scent where really low, as I am not really the biggest fan of Dunhill fragrances except for a couple of them, and the reviews aren’t surely encouraging. Well, on the contrary this fragrance surprised me. It is really decent, almost quite good, and surely one of the best of their range (this including the – for me – unexplicably hyped “vintage” ones, such as Edition). The opening is quite all about apple: and what I really enjoy is the fact that it is not overly fruity or sweet, rather quite sharp, pungent, bitter, dark, whiskey-like. Obviously a bit of fruitiness is there, but it’s really subtle and providing just a hint of restrained “syrupiness” – just like in some spirits. It’s a quite realistic rendition of apple cider more than a fresh slice of apple, and this makes Custom surely closer to boozy fragrances rather than fruity ones. Which is surely a “pro” in my book, as I can’t think of many other fragrances playing the “dark, dry & sophisticated” card using apples. Distinctive and well put.

The magic basically stops there, as apart from that, there’s a really bland and generic woodyamber-pepper base accord which is, I bet, *exactly* the same base they used for Dunhill Fresh. It smells a bit rubbery and artificial, but it works, creating an “office-safe” frame of smooth silky woods and peppery incense. Now add this to the well-executed apple-boozy top note, and you’ll get Custom: a refined, half-distinctive half-generic almost “minimalistic” boozy-woody fragrance in the same league of Gucci pour Homme I, to which is resembles because of the same kind of weightless woody-amber-incense accord. Just with apple, less “pencil sharpener”, (way) less quality, and sort of more juvenile overall. Warm and acceptably classy, with a nice sharp twist. The longevity is not that bad for me, surely a bit close to skin but I get a decent bunch of hours. The only real bad thing is that for me (like pretty much for any other Dunhill scent) Custom clearly lacks in quality: the concept is really nice, but the notes smell a bit flat, unsubstantial and, well, cheap. With some more budget, this could have been one of the best designers of the last decade. As-is, it’s still quite good, just feeling a bit like a “missed chance”.

6,5/10

• by Vawallpa by Vawallpa
  • by Vawallpa by Vawallpa
  • by Serafina by Serafina
  • by Michael by Michael

Popular Dunhill

Icon by Dunhill Dunhill Edition (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Desire for a Man (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Dunhill by Dunhill Icon Racing by Dunhill Icon Absolute by Dunhill Dunhill for Men / Classic Blend by Dunhill Dunhill Pursuit (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Dunhill London by Dunhill Dunhill Fresh by Dunhill Blend 30 (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Custom by Dunhill Desire Blue by Dunhill Desire for a Woman by Dunhill Icon Elite by Dunhill Dunhill Black (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Dunhill Pure by Dunhill Dunhill 51.3 N. by Dunhill X-Centric (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill d (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill