Desire for a Man (2000) Eau de Toilette

Desire for a Man (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill
Bottle Design: Franzrudolf Lehnert
Desire for a Man (Eau de Toilette) (Dunhill)

Desire for a Man (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Dunhill for men and was released in 2000. The scent is sweet-fruity. It is being marketed by Inter Parfums.

Michel Almairac

Top Notes Top NotesApple, Bergamot, Green lemon, Neroli
Heart Notes Heart NotesPatchouli, Rose, Teakwood
Base Notes Base NotesLabdanum, Musk, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 10.11.2018

Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
A great off-road perfume
This Desire Red is my off-road perfume, it's what I always wear when I do not want complications, it's my joker, so everything I say about it, will be praise, therefore, I will not say much, just that:

-It is an oriental fresh and sweet, that despite its notes, you can feel a fresh, summer and airy aroma, perfect in any situation.

-It has a certain synthetic vibration, which for my taste is a complement to the aroma, and my taste, at least in this case and in Sculpture by Nikos that share a certain olfactory DNA.

-It is an elegant aroma, seductive, discreet and casual, quite urban and versatile. Ideal for any situation.

The performance is moderate, with an approximate duration of about 6 hours, with a moderate projection, initially more noticeable, but which declines in the first hour until almost flush with the skin.

Versatile more than can be, being a good perfume for any climate or time of day. When I travel and I can only take a bottle with me, it always comes with me, it has a traveling soul like me, hehehe. Very recommended perfume, that I love.

Sorry for my bad english.
Inexplicably nice
This fragrance puzzles me. It smells at the same time pedestrian and refined,a bit tacky but immensely pleasant to wear. I think overall I lean to a positive opinion about this, making me think that Almairac did a laudable and really creative job with not-so-great resources at hand. What puzzles me here is that it took me quite some time to familarize with this fragrance and be able to even just get some of the notes. At first it was just an odd “whole” smelling at once massively generic, yet never smelled before – but I admit I may be just a bit relatively new to this side of “cheapos”, so probably it is just something I am not used to. Anyway what I get at the very opening is a thick, balmy, quite sweet but somehow perfectly wearable blend comprising fruity-powdery notes on a sort of dusty, dry, “greyish” amber and labdanum base. I get something soapy which I guess is rose, and something juicy and green-aromatic definitely smelling like apple. This first stage is quite bold and as nearly any other reviewer noted, quite heavy to the point of overwhelming. And honestly a bit cheap too, but in a tolerable, playful way.

The drydown on the contrary is really good, mellow and subtle but perfectly vibrant even after many hours. It is by far the best part of Desire for me, and it luckily arrives soon and stays there for hours; still “artificially” sweet but more leaning on a gentler, somehow “breezier” rose-wood accord, just scented with a restrained and perfectly gentle hint of fruit, echoing the dry, slightly sour woods of scents like Trussardi Inside Man, and the woody, slightly syrupy sweetness of Escada Magnetism for Men. Also, on the drydown there is a decidedly bolder presence of labdanum and amber with an equally sharp sort of soapy musk. I think I get something aldehydic, too. Again, really synthetic and almost tacky on one side, but inexplicably so enjoyable to wear, even refined. It may be just a suggestion, but I think I get some of the ideas Almairac used with more class (and probably more budget) ten years later or so for Bottega Veneta EDP for women; a really similar sort of sweet, floral, “gassy” dustiness almost “abstract” in its syntheticness. Not sure if Desire may be considered a “good” fragrance, all I know is that it smells really pleasant to wear, and overall quite distinctive and memorable. It reminds me of McDonald’s stuff – probably the crappiest materials around, but still I bet most of us love those sandwiches every time, and still pretty much nothing tastes like that (either in a good or bad way). Much powerful in both projection and persistence, so – use sparingly.

7/10
Very Sour drydown, but nice.
I have worn Desire (red) before, and loved the opening, but hated that sour drydown! But now I have learned to *appreciate* that sour drydown because it’s so well-blended, and because I have grown fond of teak, and have really always been fond of lime. But my fascination with sour notes has grown, especially since so many fragrances out there are sweet. But I think Desire is well-blended and VERY unique. And I think I can almost smell cinnamon, although cinnamon isn’t listed in the note pyramid.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 5.0/10
Sweet , Very Sweet...
Very sweet... too sweet in fact. Its synthetic smell reminds me of candy apples mixed with a bit of Earl Grey tea. I kind of like the smell of the scent (and love the smell of Earl Grey), but it gets annoying quickly and it is way too easy to over apply and clear a room, severely limiting the times and places you can wear the scent. I think the fresher flanker, Desire Blue, is a much more wearable and likable version. As for this one, I'll give it a neutral due to its nice scent but limited usefulness and cloying nature over time. 2.5 stars out of 5.

StarA1 116 days ago
Fragrance is a mixture of sweet with powder
It caused a synthetic sweet fragrance+1

• by Leimbacher by Leimbacher
  • by Michael by Michael
  • by Vawallpa by Vawallpa

Popular Dunhill

Icon by Dunhill Dunhill Edition (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Desire for a Man (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Dunhill by Dunhill Icon Racing by Dunhill Icon Absolute by Dunhill Dunhill for Men / Classic Blend by Dunhill Dunhill Pursuit (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Dunhill London by Dunhill Dunhill Fresh by Dunhill Blend 30 (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Custom by Dunhill Desire Blue by Dunhill Desire for a Woman by Dunhill Icon Elite by Dunhill Dunhill Black (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Dunhill Pure by Dunhill Dunhill 51.3 N. by Dunhill X-Centric (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill d (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill