Dunhill Edition 1984 Eau de Toilette

Dunhill Edition (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill
Bottle Design George Sakier
8.2 / 10 136 Ratings
Dunhill Edition (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Dunhill for men and was released in 1984. The scent is spicy-fresh. It was last marketed by Inter Parfums. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top Notes BergamotBergamot LavenderLavender MaceMace LemonLemon
Heart Notes Heart Notes CyclamenCyclamen CarnationCarnation GeraniumGeranium Clary sageClary sage
Base Notes Base Notes FirFir Tonka beanTonka bean VetiverVetiver CedarwoodCedarwood

Submitted by Nordleader, last update on 13.01.2023.

4 in-depth fragrance descriptions
Helpful Review 11
Insider's tip
I don't want to go into too much detail, but this fragrance is an absolute classic among the Fougères. Everything suits my taste. I add sage and ambergris to the fragrances given here. So I perceive these, but I can be wrong. But with the low price I think it's a synthetic replacement for ambergris. I already think it's a pity that this fragrance didn't make it into the main stream, but on the other hand it has something good about it, because if you know and appreciate the fragrance, you don't belong to the broad masses and are quite often asked about it. I am in possession of a 7ml sample bottle of the original from 1984 and recently a 100ml bottle of a younger product. Personally, I think the younger version is better because it doesn't smell so "colognig" to me and therefore can be "worn" by younger men. My collection is quite large and I only wear fragrances for a certain period of time because I find it a pity when the mucous membranes in my nose have become accustomed to the fragrance and you only perfume yourself to please others. I want to smell it myself. I don't know why I'm only now getting back to Dunhill Edition, but he's got something special. Can't get enough of smelling me right now...

Dunhill Edition
This review is based on a current version of this Dunhill masculine mainstay. I hope you find my summary useful and thanks for watching.................

Very helpful Review 8
Slightly twisted
Somehow this Dunhill edition is different than you would expect. At least I feel that way. I also admit that I am reaching my limits when it comes to the classification of the ingredients.
The citrusy opening is actually only marginally perceived, but the floral notes of the second row, such as cyclamen, carnation and some rose geranium and lavender, come through more strongly. But it is above all mace that dominates here.

The exuding sweetness is very soft, hardly noticeable and absolutely pleasant. But now it gets interesting. No idea where from, but somehow I hear a timid fruity note, similar to ripe bananas in a subdued way. Spontaneously it reminds me of Escape for Men by Calvin Klein, although the fragrances have almost nothing in common in terms of content and are a good 10 years apart.

The fragrance does not undergo any significant development and remains quite linear from beginning to end. Only at the very back does it diminish in intensity and comes refreshingly with very delicate citric nuances. Everything that is stated here as a base note is hardly reflected olfactorically.

No, Dunhill Edition is neither completely avant-garde or gaga... but it is relatively progressive for its time, as it uses the typical ingredients of the 80s, which are only adopted many years later. In any case, it is a sympathetic creation with puristic to warm approaches and a slight exotic touch, without appearing kitschy or overloaded.

Very helpful Review 5
Gentleman's gem!
Another fragrance I misjudged at first – it may seem a bit conventional, it isn’t really. Edition (vintage version) is a really pleasant, extremely refined and quite modern gentleman’s scent decidedly belonging to the classiest “barbershop” family, but at the same time connecting to several different inspirations. There’s some clove tobacco and rubbery/leather-ish notes that remind me of some old dark Italian leather fougères like Ferré for Man or Krizia Moods (but with a far echo of vintage Bel Ami too), there’s quite some bold spicy nutmeg which seems anticipating stuff like Cacharel pour Homme and Cacharel Nemo, and there’s finally a really classic and smooth citrus-lavender-mossy/woody structure that brings Edition back to a timeless “barbershop” realm. Spicier and fresher at first, darker and woodier (mostly vetiver and nutmeg) on the drydown, with a silky “fil rouge” of gentle leather and flowers (I definitely get carnation and rose) providing a really palpable feel of mannered luxury and sophistication. So don’t expect any “powerhouse” for sure – this is, or was, probably one of the most elegant British fragrances around. And quite complex too, but the final result on skin is extremely wearable, easy-going, versatile and most of all, exceedingly pleasant. Smoky and spicy, slightly dark, perfectly suitable for both formal occasions and daytime informal settings, the kind of “old school distinguished stuff” getting repeatedly ripped off today by brands like Puredistance, Roja Dove and Clive Christian. Really good.

8-8,5/10

4 short views on the fragrance
JayNayJayNay 4 months ago
Nice soapy scent. Not bad at all. But, be careful with the sprayer. Do not overspray or it will become cloying.
RobbieXRobbieX 1 year ago
Really nice floral/spicy scent. This juice is good.
50something50something 2 years ago
Other than the longevity, I really enjoy wearing this. A tad spicy, a tad woody and a tad of vetiver. Manly and pleasant. Safe for office.
MeetjoeblackMeetjoeblack 3 years ago
Is it just me, or does it seem like this bottle could use an update? Dunhill should give it better packaging than dollar store splash.

Pie Chart Radar Chart

Images

9 fragrance photos of the community
More images

Popular by Dunhill

Icon by Dunhill Dunhill for Men / Classic Blend (Cologne) by Dunhill Blend 30 (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Dunhill by Dunhill Century by Dunhill Icon Absolute by Dunhill Desire for a Man (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Dunhill Fresh (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Signature Collection - Indian Sandalwood by Dunhill X-Centric (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Icon Elite by Dunhill Signature Collection - Agar Wood by Dunhill Icon Racing by Dunhill Dunhill London (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Signature Collection - Amalfi Citrus by Dunhill Signature Collection - Egyptian Smoke by Dunhill Signature Collection - Moroccan Amber by Dunhill Signature Collection - Arabian Desert by Dunhill Custom by Dunhill Desire Black (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill