Icon by Dunhill
Bottle Design Mark Eisen
Icon is a popular perfume by Dunhill for men and was released in 2015. The scent is spicy-fresh. It is being marketed by Inter Parfums. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Opium pour Homme (Eau de Toilette)

Carlos Benaïm

Top Notes Top NotesItalian bergamot, Neroli absolute, Black pepper, Petitgrain
Heart Notes Heart NotesCardamom, Provençal lavender, Sage, Juniper berry
Base Notes Base NotesIris, Oud, Vetiver, Leather, Oakmoss

Submitted by Michael, last update on 13.01.2021.

The face of the advertising campaign is model Andrew Cooper, photographed by Annie Leibovitz.

ICON - Masculine understatement
It was the time before Parfumo when I left Karstadt on Mönckebergstraße with a few fragrances. In my bag I found a sample of Icon. Since I knew the purchased fragrances and specifically acquired, I had not tested anything further in the store.

Short anecdote:

I stopped testing fragrances in the store a long time ago, when I actually already know which one(s) I want to buy. The danger with me is just too great that it degenerates. Like probably many of you, I've sworn off impulse buys. And that's a good thing. Patience is a virtue, but should be mMn in relation to perfumes actually a basic requirement.

Dunhill has up to this point completely passed me by. Too much I had provided this company with prejudices such as "old-fashioned, turgid, boring, does not fit me anyway" and therefore never tested (if at all somewhere times a Dunhill tester stood). So I sat in the car with my bag and since I hadn't tested anything in advance and my limbs were receptive to it, Icon was placed on my forearm. 2 sprays should be enough to change my image of Dunhill. Of course, one scent can't speak for the entire brand, but this Icon was so good from the 2nd second on that I had to really pull myself together not to buy it right away. So over the course of the day, continued to smell it on my arm. The scent was found to be very good and after the sample was almost emptied, a bottle was purchased. Over the months, other fragrances entered the collection and somehow Icon was forgotten. To make room I Idiot even sold it. Why does one do such a thing? My patience then was not that of today. Good that one learns from the one or other mistake also sometimes... My luck was that I had forgotten also the sample. It was somewhere far down in the sample jar. When I was cleaning up the other day, I got my hands on this (leftover) sample. I have rarely been so happy to find a sample and went straight into scent ecstasy. Immediately I was back to that late summer when I discovered the scent. Wow. Rarely have I felt so guilty. Sounds dorky, but it's true. So Icon was ordered right back. Good so, he will stay.

The fragrance starts for me very fresh, spicy, citrusy with a nice pepper note. Not pungent, rather invigorating. It joins quite quickly neroli, lavender and sage. They make Icon feel warm, flattering, cozy. On the other hand, I find the scent very masculine, energetic. I notice the stated base notes less than the heart notes in the rest of the course. Oud I do not smell, only minimal leather nuances and the vetiver is very light, bright and fresh. An understatement fragrance. For me the whole year wearable, only it should not be too hot. Rather with a shirt than a t-shirt, rather with chinos or jeans than with shorts. A certain (age-independent) maturity should bring the wearer. The durability is very good with me and also the projection leaves nothing to be desired. An absolute price / performance banger.

In a way, Icon has opened the door to Neroli for me, but on a selective basis because everything about the fragrance must fit (for me). My current signature scent is Opalon, without Icon Opalon would have passed me by.

Nice how one's preferences develop and change over time - faster for one, slower for the other - and sometimes you have to find your way back to something to experience a certain level of happiness.

Icon smells to me of understatement with a bit of bad boy character.
The plus of self-confidence
The package arrives, impatiently it is opened. The packaging of the fragrance water seems simple, but noble. This is also opened and then he stands there, robust, massive, with a hard shell and yet simple elegance. It radiates sovereignty - a symbol for its fragrance character. The start is citrusy and tart. Bergamot and neroli do a good job. In the later course it becomes woodier and thus incredibly masculine. A fragrance for strong guys. Not meant as a call to turn the inner macho outward - on the contrary. Rather meant as a support to be the best version of himself, to find the gentleman in himself and stand up for himself.

When I wear this fragrance, I feel confident and motivated to tackle the day. It is my absolute favorite fragrance and the only one I have ever bought a second time as a back up in case it is ever discontinued.

He is priced, for 100 ml, between 30 and (sometimes) 65 euros. He would also be worth the 65 euros, but is usually as "Cheapie" to purchase.
Price performance is therefore terrific.

The shelf life is really good, 8 hours he will usually hold, where I can perceive this fragrance throughout and not succumb to the "olfactory fatigue". Meaning: he supports me throughout the (working) day.

End of this song of praise :-)
Michaelmssnr
Super fragrance for great value for money
Dunhill, I only knew him from cigarettes originally. After I heard some positive words on Youtube I wanted to try him. The Sillage is very overwhelming in the beginning, the first 2 hours I take it permanently. But after 4 hours it flattens out again. All in all it is a great scent that is suitable for the masses, but also absolutely unique and of high quality. It is suitable in every situation, but I would rather wear it in summer and spring
I can only recommend it!

Unbelievably good!
I think this one is one of the most underrated fragrances and a true masterpiece, the scent is so good and unique, can't believe it is rated only 7.9. And when you buy this for such an accessible price, simply, a bargain! Longevity and sillage are not that great but still, the scent compensates that all. And of course, the bottle, a separate topic, I'm still keeping it although its been empty for almost a year now.

Dry Manly Sweetness
This scent has a very nice opening and dry-down. The opening has neroli, black pepper and petitgrain. The base notes have oak moss and leather. The dry down is perfect. Not a lot of sillage, becomes a skin scent very quickly, and that's okay. Great for the office or dinner out. I love the petitgrain in this fragrance.

ScentSlave
This one has a great smell;
I feel a lot of similarity to Terre d'Hermes edt in the opening, but I don’t get as much in terms of sillage. MAYBE a 1.5ft radius when it’s fresh. As it dries down it gets a bit sweeter, but still very similar to TDH. When it dries to the middle and base notes is where it really shines best. It softens up a little bit as it sweetens, and it’s GORGEOUS at this point. It also DOES indeed have a good staying power as a skin scent, so it would go well for work/business, and it’s quite inexpensive, so I’m not complaining about anything. It’s another slightly mature, very masculine scent that I have for formal occasions around people that I’m not so familiar with. It’s a nice, fresh, and slightly smoky citrus that you can wear freely, with no worries about offending anyone.
Stylish gentleman
Hello friends,

this time I'm gonna go after Dunhill Icon EdP. Because after a certain time, in which I wore it again and again, I want to bring it a little bit closer to you
I was looking for a somewhat simpler, more straightforward, yet noble and interesting fragrance. A perfume that you can simply reach for and wear without hesitation. Although I - like many others - like to wear certain scents "with pleasure" and others only "with pleasure", I still want to build up a collection in which I am prepared for all occasions and have at least 1 beautiful fragrance for each occasion.

About 3 months ago I told myself that besides my BdC EdP, I could use another "gentleman" scent... xD [...]. I wanted a "quiet" and "silent" representative in my collection and so I went to Turquoise and another department store, where I didn't really find anything. So I searched through various YT reviews and other online sites where I eventually came across the Dunhill Icon series. "Hmm, Dunhill? Isn't that Alfred Dunhill, that luxury goods entrepreneur?", I asked myself (I was quite familiar with that name). Until that time, I hadn't been aware that fragrances were also produced under his name. But after a short google I had the confirmation...
[...].

So I watched several videos of all the icon scents, read a lot about their scents, ratings etc. and came to the conclusion that the Icon EdP could be exactly what I was looking for. (His scents already appealed to me...).
Now the icon series wasn't available in any shops and at that time I didn't know anything about this community (Note: Shortly after buying this perfume I registered here...). So I just decided to order it blind. "At this low price you won't break a leg," I told myself. No sooner said than done. At a well-known online shop I ordered the big bottle...

Full of anticipation I waited a few days for my parcel and could hardly wait to open it. When it finally arrived at home, I opened it and was thrilled by the flacon on the one hand, but at the same time "shocked". It is a rather heavy bottle that could be used as a "weapon" to physically hurt someone or something... xD [...].
(Well, anyway, still very noble in beautiful silver). I opened the somewhat difficult to open lid and sprayed my wrists...
"Mmm, that's exactly how I imagined you, I really like you very much...", I thought at once. So I sprayed myself with 6-7 sprays and went to visit my parents. When I arrived at my parents' house my mother told me: "Today you smell ultra fresh and clean, like a real gentleman. I really like it!" [...].

I spent 2-3h hours at my parents' house and afterwards I met a buddy for a cocktail. In the café I asked him how he liked my new scent and let him smell it on my wrist: "Jo, is good, has something noble."
(Note: None of my buddies is as good with scents as I am; all of them "no perfume people" who simply don't wear any scents... :D ).

At some point I was at home and after about 5 hours I could still notice it on myself, even if only inconspicuously. On my skin it lasts 5, max. 6h (depending on how much I spray), then I have to spray again. The Sillage can be perceived well in the first 2-3 hours, after that it develops into a "skin-scent"
The fragrance opens mega sparkling fresh with a certain spiciness; this will be the bergamot in the combination with the black pepper. But at the same time I perceive something slightly spicy-bitter, for which Neroli is probably responsible. This top note is joined after a short time by cardamom, which keeps it masculine and spicy, and lavender, which not only keeps the fragrance fresh and herbaceous, but also gives it a slight sweetness (that's how I perceive it). However, this sweetness is quite discreet, which is very pleasing, especially if you get the sillage yourself by a gust of wind... Because then this scent is wonderfully beautiful... And the base makes this scent in my eyes (or should I say in my nose:) ) a real gem! Because with the iris and the vetiver, the fragrance becomes slightly floral and delicate again, without neglecting its masculinity. But I don't perceive oud, especially because my nose is not quite as good yet... But overall I find the fragrance development very positive!

Conclusion:
Just what my mother said was my very first impression of Dunhill Icon EdP. A really super clean and fresh, yet noble and reserved fragrance. It suits stylish and confident men who show good manners, politeness and friendliness and are appreciated and respected by their fellow men for their honesty and seriousness.
You can wear this fragrance without any problems during the day and especially in the office without getting on anyone's nerves. I think people in the area will find this scent very "welcome" and comfortable.
MMn it is a super great everyday scent that you can always use if you don't quite know what to use. You can't do anything wrong with it. It is wearable in every season, but it fits mMn best in spring and summer. And it's a wonderful alternative to the Prada L'Homme EDT, because this Dunhill Icon EdP is a true, stylish, English gentleman that should not be underestimated... :)
[...].

So, hope you had fun and can do something with the contribution. And I thank each and every one of you for reading it and make a wish!
VG
Business a bottle.
This is my first comment here ever on a fragrance.

Dunhill Icon - Or also Business in a bottle.
I work in retail and I was searching for a long time for a fragrance that would tell me A pleasant, not too playful scent, which looks masculine and at the same time leaves an impression in the nose that suggests that you know what you are doing. Phew what a sentence. But here it is - Dunhill Icon.

You don't often smell that scent. Never really, and that's a good thing. Admittedly, I have to say that at the beginning I had doubts whether I could wear it or whether it would suit me. It definitely does not suit everyone.

About the scent: Some people say that after the drydown he smells like a toilet stone or an "old man". That's complete nonsense if I have my way. It smells spicy and cytric shortly after spraying. This disappears after a short time and gives the impression as if you have been in a barbershop shortly before as others had commented before me. It smells pleasant and signals self-confidence, assertiveness and credibility and underlines the masculinity of the wearer. Just as one imagines a man in a suit who could work in an executive position. Only that I have exchanged the suit for my grey shirt which I always wear to work.

It fits perfectly to the spring/summer but is not a fragrance that will make a woman's skin crawl out of her sandals. Rather a fragrance that makes you think "Wow, that smells good!". Well-groomed and masculine. Perfume has to bring a lot of things with it so that I can rate it well here, because Sillage, the fragrance itself and the durability are important to me. It brings a good performance and is still smelling after a working day (8h +) including sweating and cooling down again. I would compare the shelf life and Sillage with Dior sauvage. But the scent itself is much more interesting and in my opinion better and more "unique". It is difficult for me to "recognize" the individual fragrances or to distinguish them. Maybe I'm still a bit green behind the ears, but I think with this fragrance it's just really hard for me. I hope I was able to give you an understanding of the fragrance and if you work in an office, trade or similar, Dunhill Icon is the perfect choice if you want to be a little more masculine and don't want to smell Prada L'homme, boss bottled or any other well-known "office fragrance"
Kaffee42
"Old school" barbershop with good mood guarantee
Dunhill Icon is a great office fragrance for warm weather, but I'm only slowly falling in love with it. In the opening, it starts with a light citrus note that reminds me of 4711, and then quickly evolves into a neroli scent. It reminds me a bit of Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver, only a bit better for me, as I don't find it so "old" and it's rather gentle. The strongest notes I can smell are neroli, pepper, vetiver, lavender, leather and very little wood (it's supposed to be oud, but I can't tell which).
Dunhill Icon is for me a fragrance for spring, summer and autumn, but the best time is spring. He stays about 7 hours with me, which is absolutely ok for me. This is a safe choice for the office. Icon is my favorite among the vetiver scents.
A colleague who noticed the scent at my place remembered the scent from a barber shop in the 70-80s. It's a bit "old school", except that it has a modern touch due to the peppery background and a light lavender.
When I wear Icon, the fragrance puts me in a good mood and gives me self-confidence. For the price, it would be a mistake not to buy this fragrance. I don't need to mention the ingenious bottle here. It's the only one of my fragrances that stands in the living room and at the same time it's a small art object.
Knechtobald
Turkish barber at its best!
Hi, also I am totally lost and spend half of my salary on fragrances.
Dunhill Icon was a blind buy too. You can't go wrong for the price, especially with this fragrance!

First of all the smell made me think of 4711 (not only because I'm young and cologne) and the stuff that Ali sprays on your neck after the hairdresser and burns hard. But little by little my stupid nose grew up and I got to know all the nuances of the fragrance. He is a dream! Not just for the office. Someone wrote here in the comments that although it is so cheap it is only used very sparingly because it is so valuable to the colleague. I can absolutely understand that! Neroli is simply extremely well represented and it smells as if you are walking past a lilac bush. Recently I smelled Tom Ford Neroli at the airport for 6 times the price and I thought my part who spends so much money for Dun Hill Icon with Tom Ford label
Can you do nothing wrong with, so do not buy all of them, so that it is reserved for me! Anyway, a really bad smell ;)

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 5 months ago
A fresh and clean, yet spicy floral-citric Spring fragrance, balanced by a gentle green earthy-woody base. Excellent price-quality ratio!
JohnnieShoreJohnnieShore 8 months ago
Not mainstream but familiar.
For daytime social events.
Classy yet a bit sporty
KimJongKimJong 12 months ago
It's a very nice scent that causes repetitive sniffing, but it's too bubble gum-like for my nose.
Amazon1975Amazon1975 12 months ago
This to me smells very similar to red vetiver by Montale.... definitely a vetiver heavy frag
Hoban27Hoban27 1 year ago
unique scent well blended citruses, neroli with cardmom but performance is weak a bit , i will wait for the intense version
AmberScentAmberScent 2 years ago
Once the magnificent neroli-bergamot accord weakens, it becomes a mainstream spicy fougére fragrance with some woods and herbs. Nice flask!
KingPinKingPin 2 years ago
One of few nerolis that doesn’t tip over to the feminine. Well blended, sophisticated scent.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
Magnificent flask, effective fresh juice, similar to many but unique;
A well blended EDT inducing coolness and attracting compliments.
DPArtistDPArtist 2 years ago
Incredibly soft scent! I don't understand all the accolades, imo this stuff has been seriously over-hyped! A wimp in alpha-male clothing!?!
DavidBrazDavidBraz 2 years ago
A strong neroli in the opening supported by woods and spices in the base. I didn.t love it first sniff but now is my numb 1 versityle scent.

by Flanker
Icon Technik I
by TomLavender
by Salva
by Salva
Ich konnte einfach nicht anders... Muss immer an Icon denken, wenn ich dieses Ding sehe :-)
by Townsend
by Smellavision
by Kenshin
by Kenshin

Popular Dunhill

Dunhill Edition (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Dunhill for Men / Classic Blend (Cologne) by Dunhill Century by Dunhill Blend 30 (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Dunhill by Dunhill Desire for a Man (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Signature Collection - Indian Sandalwood by Dunhill Dunhill Fresh (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill X-Centric (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Icon Absolute by Dunhill Icon Elite by Dunhill Icon Racing by Dunhill Dunhill London (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Custom by Dunhill Desire Black (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Dunhill Pursuit (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Signature Collection - Moroccan Amber by Dunhill Signature Collection - Arabian Desert by Dunhill Signature Collection - British Leather by Dunhill London (Cologne) by Dunhill