Icon Absolute 2015

Icon Absolute by Dunhill
Bottle Design Mark Eisen
Icon Absolute is a popular perfume by Dunhill for men and was released in 2015. The scent is woody-spicy. It is being marketed by Inter Parfums. Pronunciation

Carlos Benaïm

SaffronSaffron
Base Notes Base NotesOudOud
Tobacco leafTobacco leaf
Tuscan leatherTuscan leather

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 11.12.2021.

Please turn round!
With never-ending patience, the lady from the sat nav regularly tells me that I have missed the exit - and this is followed by the polite instruction that I should please turn around at the next opportunity. But the always friendly voice has no idea that I might be driving around a traffic jam.
In the process, I often drive past places that I would never have seen from the highway: great, idyllic villages, first-class village pubs with hearty food and remote lakes that invite you to relax.

That must have been how it went with Dunhill's Icon Absolute.
Because the driver here seems to have a clear destination in mind: Oud Wood. In this direction it should go, that can be guessed from the opening.

After the ignition key (flakondeckel) was turned and the engine was started, drones one first of all once a huge load of strong-I-know-not in the nose. Horrible! As if you had pressed your mouth and nose very hard on the exhaust, just to get the full load of exhaust fumes. This, however, only as a comparison - IT SMELLS NOT AFTER EXHAUST.
But it smells harsh at first. Very stern. Once the first 30 seconds are over, you get an inkling of where it's going: Oud Wood.
The heart note of the Oud Wood is the top note the Icon Absolute.
"Follow the road for a very long time," says the lady in the Navi. And I have Oud Wood as a destination already in mind.

But after half an hour on the straight highway in the direction of Oud Wood, the traffic jam warning rings around my ears. Oh, I'd just been listening so nicely to the modern remixes of old 80s music on my Spotify playlist - it really wouldn't have needed the traffic jam now, after all. My Navi says nothing about it.

So I take the exit in the direction of "forest". While I drive already some minutes on the deserted country road in the direction of forest, suddenly also the lady from the Navi announces itself to word "If possible please turn!". Monotonously she repeats this instruction again and again. As long as, until it becomes too stupid to me and I terminate the guidance.
The road is idyllic, empty and winding. I let down the windows, because the smell of the LED SEATS of my new car cause headaches at times. Wonderful country air - no, not a cow barn or a pigsty, but freshly mown GRASS, alpine HERBS and far away the FOREST. Also the destination Oud Wood smell again and again.

Finally arriving in the forest, I am horrified to find that it has been cut down and a tree trunk lying across it makes it impossible for me to continue on the now single track gravel road.
"Please turn around" I sarcastically curse to myself. Thank God my girlfriend is not with me. The has conspired namely with the lady from the Navi against me. So I believe at least. Every now and then I accuse her of cereal terror, too, especially when they try to replace my oh-so-loved Weisswurst breakfast with healthy bowls. "Remember the cholesterol" - it sounds almost in the same monotone voice from the bathroom every morning.

So I turn. True, it smells intense, woody and beautiful. But Oud Wood was my destination after all. That's where I was going, right?
So I drive back the road, get lost in the next roundabout and suddenly discover a sign: "Oud". I wonder if that's where Oud Wood is headed

I follow the sign. The windows closed accompanies me the intense smell of freshly chopped wood and the leather seats of my new car, accompanied by a little saffron and spices.

Finally, the town sign: OUD.
Yes, and you can smell it. Intense, very intense.
Still the woods, the leather and the saffron is perceptible, but Oud now plays the leading role. So authentic and captivating. As if I were in a mall in Dubai or Abu Dhabi. You seem to be able to literally smell the wealth of the village.

"Sorry, which way is Oud Wood?", I ask an elegant gentleman on the side of the road.
"Don't you like it in Oud?" he replies to my question.
"Yes, I do, but I do have to go to Oud Wood..." I reply to him with a sheepish smile.
"Do you have to?" he asks me provocatively.
"Nah, I don't have to" I reply firmly.

It doesn't always have to be the pompous Oud Wood. Sometimes a down-to-earth oud is enough - especially if you have the right companion with you

Darkbeat
A western oud very arabesque
I am happy to see that, more and more, western houses dare with fragrances of typical arabesque execution, and in this case, by the way, nothing has gone wrong, but nothing bad.

Icon absolute has a strong output, which can frighten the less experienced with this type of notes. It comes out with a dirty and crude oud, with a very slight citrus and spicy tone, which gives a certain sensation of humidity, like moldy and mossy wood, almost to the limit of rot, I love it, but it is strange and original. Then, that mossy and humid sensation, disappears in seconds, and instead appear floral tones very shy, highlighting the rose and saffron, but nothing exaggerated, mixing with the wood of oud excellently well, recreating a deep, spicy woody fragrance and floral, with nuances tobacco, really pretty, although, this part of the perfume, is the least original, since it looks a lot like other perfumes of oud with roses. The drying I love, is a mixture of oud and leather, with spicy tobacco tones, for which they revolt residual floral nuances, a fragrance of oud-leather semi-sweet and spicy, with a slight, but beautiful, ajazminate floral leave tone.

The performance seems good, but nothing exceptional either, being moderate in both cases, longevity and projection. It has lasted about 6 hours in skin, and it has disappointed me a little.

It is a perfume of cold and temperate climates and nocturnal character. An elegant and masculine scent, perfect for formal events and special occasions that require it, I do not see it for daily use, it would be a waste.

If you are looking for a perfume of oud elegant and beautiful, here you have a highly recommended and with quality, but to be honest, in the Arab perfumery there are perfumes very similar to this and with a much higher performance, and even at a lower cost, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Ruwah, for example, is very similar, but with extraordinary performance for just over € 20, so each one chooses what suits their wallet and needs, that I, for now, I'm still staying with the Arab perfumery .

Sorry for my bad english.

Dunhill Icon Absolute
Pros:
A really nice looking metallic faux gold-plated bottle.
Can be purchased for under $50 USD.

Cons:
Oud is synthetic and not the greatest by a long shot.
Longevity is between 3 and 4 hours sprayed on my skin.
It immediately turns into a skin scent.

I feel that Dunhill could have done a LOT better with Icon Absolute, considering that both Icon and Icon Racing have a lot better longevity and sillage. I won't mention Icon Elite.

Instead of naming this fragrance Icon Absolute, they should have named it Icon Sport, because most fragrances with the word "Sport" in their name have horrible longevity as well. It would have fit right in.

On the bright side, Icon Absolute can be worn anywhere without a problem because you will be the only one who will be able to smell it.

Scent: 5/10
Longevity: 2/10
Sillage: 1/10

Final score: 2.7/10

KimJongKimJong 2 years ago
Really nice spicy oud scent. It feels young, stately and modernistic.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
An occidental synthetic oud fragrance with interesting oriental nuances. Similar to T. F. Oud Wood and Versace Oud Noir. Very nice flask.
IanFriedrichIanFriedrich 3 years ago
I just love it & I don't mind about synthetic oud scent.
If Dunhill solve the longevity & sillage issue, I will buy it without a doubt.

Herbstatem
by Parfummaster
by Carlitos01
by Carlitos01

Popular Dunhill

Icon by Dunhill Dunhill Edition (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Dunhill for Men / Classic Blend (Cologne) by Dunhill Blend 30 (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Century by Dunhill Dunhill by Dunhill Desire for a Man (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Dunhill Fresh (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill X-Centric (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Signature Collection - Indian Sandalwood by Dunhill Icon Elite by Dunhill Icon Racing by Dunhill Dunhill London (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Signature Collection - Moroccan Amber by Dunhill Desire Black (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Custom by Dunhill Desire Blue (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Signature Collection - Arabian Desert by Dunhill Signature Collection - British Leather by Dunhill Dunhill Pursuit (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill