Dunhill London 2008Eau de Toilette

Dunhill London (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill
Dunhill London (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Dunhill for men and was released in 2008. The scent is fruity-spicy. The production was apparently discontinued. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesApple, Bergamot, Cardamom
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeranium, Jasmine, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesMusky notes, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 30.11.2020.

The Urban Smellscape Of The British Capital
There is a distinct and unique smell in the London Underground. Not the sweaty smell of the cramped carriages, but the whiff of the earthy engines that hover across the platform as they approach the underground trains approximating the station. What makes London smell like London? Or any city for that matter? There is a heady aroma of car exhaust, fuel and dust hanging over the nostrils of Londoners, and perhaps unsurprisingly. But not far behind, the smell of the natural world - flowers, plants, trees and grass - envelops our noses.

Dunhill London smells so good, modern, bitterly sweet, something unusual in between a fougère, aromatic, and oriental. It is a little powdery, but far tamer than most in the oriental category with vanilla and tonka as the two leading ingredients. I have never really heard of this cologne until I came across the other Dunhill offers and decided to try a few things that I've seen around. It is a cheapy, and I blindly bought it for less than 20 euro. It smells so great, and it's an easy step to add to my morning routine. The fragrance captures all the good smells into a cologne.
To begin with, the packaging is top-notch, the box has a modern Union Jack splash colours style printed on a silver background. And the bottle is well-designed, surprising, minimal, squared, the heavy glass that is grooved at the left and right side showing a pleasant optical illusion. The juice has a light grey nuance that leads towards green, a Card Room green that takes its name from the colour often used in gaming rooms in the Victorian period and is incomprehensibly "masculine" in appearance, and is in line with the London atmosphere. A heavy metal cap completes the outfit, hiding the massive and generous sprayer. There all the promising for something good.

Right off the bat, London greets me with a sour and aromatic blast, fresh, full of fruity and spicy nuances. There is a pinch of mentholated cardamom that accompanies the brilliant bergamot and a sweet red apple juice. It is the smell of the fresh air on your face when you leave your home in the early morning after you had your breakfast, and walk toward downtown.

As London continues its journey, it offers us a heart full of flowers with green accents. The dark note of geranium leaves intertwines with the more delicate tones of the rosebuds and the brighter ones of the indolic nocturnal jasmine. However, here we find a masculine floral, there are no too sweet, honeyed accents, but a tangy, spicy, almost herbaceous bouquet.

And then comes the dry down. The initial fruity accord tones down, and I firmly get the musky and woody aspects, white musk and sandal are overstanding. Brittle patchouli adds a smidgen of earthiness and avoids stickiness, whereas roasted tonka and lovely soft vanilla keep the base a bit creamy, not sweetish, just fluffy and spicy. When the tonka fully arrives, it makes London a bit too powdery and creamy, but still wearable very delicately that may not appeal to everyone. Still, this is pretty decent stuff all things considered.

Ultimately, London has a zesty kind of freshness with a warmer floral but light powdery finish that is not too overpowering or too woody or musky like some of the colognes out there. Maybe it's not unique, I caught a few similarities with Montblanc's Presence, not a clone of one another but the same vibe, although I found it very pleasant and ideal for these autumn days. The shades of the perfume blend very well with the cold air outside and the warmth inside the house. Perhaps too heavy for hot summer, and not too heavy for chilly winter. The sillage is close to my arm and does not project too far, it is not intrusive, and the longevity is moderate, it holds up for half a day, I would say. All these features make it ideal for the white-collar, to wear to go to the office, perhaps reapplying it after lunch, but also at the weekend for shopping, to go out with friends, or for an informal lunch away from home. It can also be suitable for a late afternoon, an aperitif, but it's a little too weak for a night out, clubbing, or a social evening. To me, London is a decent fragrance at an affordable price.

This review bases upon a 100ml (3.4 fl. oz.) I own since November 2020.

-Elysium

Dunhill did it again!
Dunhill has done it again with London. This is an awesome fresh fragrance with red apple, tonka, and vanilla which makes this fragrance sweet, but still masculine because of the sandalwood, musk and patchouli. There's a hint of rose and jasmine but I can't smell the geranium. The longevity on my skin is about 4 hours (not bad). This fragrance is good value for the price. I consider this an excellent "cheapie" and worth the purchase. I blind bought this one and I'm glad I did. I recommend picking up a bottle for your fragrance collection. I give this an 8 / 10.
When I was a student, Dunhill London smelled like luxury to me
If I remember correctly, Dunhill London was only the second or third perfume I owned as a teenager - besides the all-time classic Cool Water. I first came in contact with Dunhill London about 8 years ago on a cruise. At that time you could buy this perfume in the boardshop. I didn't know anything about perfumes at that time, I just liked the name "London" because I simply love the city itself and thought that the perfume might do something. Already with the first sniffing I was in love, the price was cheap and it was bought. But a few months later, when I was travelling again and had the perfume with me, my Dunhill London bottle in my suitcase broke, probably during flight check-in, and left a real mess. The clothes and suitcase continued to smell of the scent for up to three weeks.

Accordingly sad about the loss I had to reorder of course. The fragrance has always left me with a feeling of classic elegance. Dunhill London has always had a certain Armani and Hugo Boss vibe to me, which I still feel today. Although I couldn't make any sense of the scents it was made of, I didn't care. I knew that I would smell good with it, as well as different from others my age.

Even today I still feel this feeling of elegance when I apply Dunhill London. Fruity-synthetic (maybe) green apple in the prelude, which lasts for a while. A light oriental spiciness and a citrus freshness that hints at cardamom give this round fragrance an excellent combination. After three quarters of an hour, the perfume tends to take on floral tones. Definitely white-floral. Gently and elegantly, the perfume unfortunately fades too quickly. I honestly can't feel sandalwood in the base, but a hint of vanilla and maybe a bit of tonka.

Durability of the perfume on my skin maximum 5 hours and Sillage medium. I wish the performance was stronger, the fragrance really deserved that! But I don't want to complain big at this price, because the scent DNA is also great and will appeal to younger men. Seasonally, m.M.n. Dunhill London can be categorized as autumn or spring and can be worn casually or a bit more elegantly. From me there is a buy recommendation and even with a blind purchase you don't do so much wrong. Only those who are looking for something with more performance will not find what they are looking for here. Associations with the often rainy England or the city of London do not arise with this fragrance DNA. You would have to create something completely different. The perfume would have to be a little more old school with a modern twist. But Dunhill has created something modern and timeless here.

As a small conclusion to the story: I had grown so fond of Dunhill London at that time that I used it as my "Scent of the Evening" of my Abiball. The bottle from that time is still in my cupboard :)
Elegant British Understatement
In the meantime I am able to classify the tastes of some of the local "hardcore commentators" and on the basis of one or the other I bought Dinhill London (DH) as a blind purchase. I make no secret of the fact that although I am already in my late 40s, I have retained an alternative, youthful image. Although I'll never be a gentleman in the sense of a cultivated, but quite bourgeois tie, I'll never be a gentleman! :-) On the other hand, I also don't need squeaky colorful outfits and shrill attitudes.

Which means in an olfactory sense: A fragrance creation like Dunhill Icon (which I have also tested), which is probably rightly highly rated, does not match my attitude to life or my style. I can't really get anything bad out of this fragrance, but it plays too much for me in the "Altherren-Liga". Completely different DH, which still stands for about a third of the distinguished man of the world, who nevertheless wears Doc Martens and goes to rock concerts. All London-like, which by the way is my favorite city, so I couldn't resist just because of the name! ;-)

In the British capital, tradition and modernity mix like perhaps nowhere else in the world, and somehow in a harmonious and aesthetic way. In this respect, DH fits quite well, because here a fresh rise, a floral bouquet, a slightly sweet heart and delicate wood notes blend into a successful and harmonious whole. Overall, DH is certainly closer to Chelsea and Westmisnter than to Soho and Camden: elegant instead of garish, quiet rather than loud and convincing in a gentle, reserved way: typically British, perhaps?

ElysiumElysium 6 days ago
A fresh leavening, a floral bouquet, a slightly sweet heart and delicate wood base come together in a victorious and tuneful whole. Awesome!
MeetjoeblackMeetjoeblack 6 months ago
Not sad that this it was discontinued. I bought it years ago for its British cache, but I always found the scent more unusual than pleasing.

by Honk1510
by Honk1510

Popular Dunhill

Icon by Dunhill Dunhill Edition (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Century by Dunhill Blend 30 (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Dunhill for Men / Classic Blend (Cologne) by Dunhill Dunhill by Dunhill Signature Collection - Indian Sandalwood by Dunhill Desire for a Man (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Dunhill Fresh (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill X-Centric (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Icon Absolute by Dunhill Icon Racing by Dunhill Icon Elite by Dunhill Custom by Dunhill Dunhill Pursuit (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Signature Collection - Moroccan Amber by Dunhill Signature Collection - Arabian Desert by Dunhill London (Cologne) by Dunhill Desire Blue (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill Desire Black (Eau de Toilette) by Dunhill