Paestum Rose (2006)

Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie

Paestum Rose is a perfume by Eau d'Italie for women and men and was released in 2006. The scent is floral-spicy. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesDavana, Black pepper, Pink pepper, Coriander seed
Heart Notes Heart NotesTurkish rose, Frankincense, Osmanthus
Base Notes Base NotesMyrrh, Opoponax, Papyrus, Wenge wood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 20.06.2019

The town of Paestum in Southern Calabria was one of the most important areas for rose cultivation in the antique world and especially famous for the fact that its roses came into bloom twice a year.

10.0 5.0 5.0 5.0/10

History will wash off
Paestum: an old Romanian city in Campania region of Italy. Having a message in the name of perfume is a habit of Eau d'Italie.

The order of the words is wrong. First comes the rose. It seems to be a tea rose with honeyed rum, a literally ass drunk fragrance. In the bottle or on the paper. It turns out very fast, that someone paid to the paper for keeping silence or lying. This rose is very calm and soft on the skin, lovely and charming, not luscious or narcotic at all.
Then comes the weird feeling what catches you, when you are observing old ruins - it is so scratchy and so dry, what I was unable to imagine after this nice beginning. It was too much, I had to scrub it down.

Frankincense, opoponax, papyrus - there is a long enumeration of my favorite notes, but the final result does not sing a song of harmony, but the ballad of passing.
2.5 5.0 5.0 6.0/10

Drseid
I Love Rose Scents, Just Not Really This One...
Despite the long list of notes, Paestum Rose on my skin is almost all rose with cinnamon, and a light incense undertone. It is a pleasant scent, but not one I care much to wear (and I love rose scents as a general rule). I wish I could write something more substantial about it, but I really found it nice enough, but completely uninteresting. Longevity is average, as is projection. A very hesitant thumbs up, but I personally would look elsewhere if I wanted a rose scent before buying this one. 3 of 5 stars.
10.0 10.0 4.0/10

The end of my Bertrand Duchaufour winning streak...
I am baffled as to how I have managed to select for testing--completely my chance--so many creations by Bertrand Duchaufour in recent weeks. In any case, we've been on a real winning streak, as my opinion of his talent has been serially confirmed. It had to happen eventually, but we've finally hit rough waters: Eau d'Italie PAESTUM ROSE.

Upon application, I was delighted by the excitement which this boozy, spicy, woody rose appeared to hold in store for me. I really found the opening rather intoxicating. As the commotion slowly subsided, however, the thump of one note became louder and louder--rather like Edgar Allen Poe's tell-tale heart--yes, what had held so much promise before suddenly morphed before my genteel nose into a big, fat, loud cumin rose à la The Different Company ROSE POIVREE, a Jean-Claude Elléna creation with a very similar effect upon me.

No, I can now safely induce from the two cases of rose + cumin which I have encountered to date: I do not appreciate this particular combination of notes. It appears that many other people do however like PAESTUM ROSE, and I can definitely recommend this creation for testing by anyone who happens to like The Different Company ROSE POIVREE. For me, this is a big-time no-go--I won't even be draining the contents of my skimpy sample vial.

Hélas, PAESTUM ROSE was the end of a winning streak for me and Bertie.
8.0/10

Rose incense senza smoke
Recently I’ve been re-auditioning three masculine rose fragrances that I had originally chosen by gleaning recommendations from blogs and forums. It’s been a few months since I tried them the first time so it’s interesting to give them another go. The first was Voleur de Roses which turned out to be an unhappy combination of patchouli and rose. Weird.

This second go around with Paestum Rose confirms that it doesn’t have what I was hoping for in a rose fragrance. But that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Setting aside my quest for a particular rose note, I have a new appreciation for Paestum Rose based on its own merits. Rose does figure prominently in the composition but so does a good balance of incense, tea, sweet amber and...

...a mystery note. At least it was a mystery to me.

The mystery note smells slightly of cherry but I didn't see anything listed in the notes to account for that scent. So I consulted Basenotes' "Note Pad" forum and found references to benzoin essences that have an almond-cherry note. This is from a Note Pad post by Asha about two different samples of Benzoin essence:

“Siam Benzoin, Southeast Asia – Fascinating note. Sweet, nutty, vanillic, with almond-cherry undertones.

Siam Benzoin - This is an exceptionally buttery sample of this material. It is butterscotchy with its vanillic notes creating a burnt sugar aroma. Mine had a more pronounced almond-cherry note. This one is gourmand.”

I don’t claim that benzoin accounts for my perception of cherry but I do smell something reminiscent of it. Take it as you will. Oh, and don't worry, there's no "burnt sugar aroma" in Paestum Rose.

Finally, Paestum Rose is another fragrance that raises my admiration for the work Bertrand Douchufour. This is one of his incense fragrances. What I really like about Douchufour’s incense accords is that he creates them without smoke or smut. It’s an airy effect that surrounds you in a sheer incense-like cloud. The sillage is as airy as the fragrance itself yet it carries much better than I expected. The downside of Paestum Rose is that it doesn’t have great legs longevity wise. It’s about two hours before it’s run its course and I have to stick my nose right into my wrist to smell it.

by Irini
Sagt mir doch bitte welchen von beiden soll ich löschen?
by Mustang69
by Mustang69
by Daisy
by Daisy
by ScentedSalon
by ScentedSalon

Popular Eau d'Italie

Jardin du Poète by Eau d'Italie Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie Baume du Doge by Eau d'Italie Sienne L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie Bois d'Ombrie by Eau d'Italie Acqua Decima by Eau d'Italie Au Lac by Eau d'Italie Magnolia Romana by Eau d'Italie Eau d'Italie by Eau d'Italie Un Bateau pour Capri by Eau d'Italie Morn to Dusk by Eau d'Italie Graine de Joie by Eau d'Italie Rosa Greta by Eau d'Italie Easy To Love by Eau d'Italie Fior Fiore by Eau d'Italie