Sienne L'Hiver (2006)

Sienne L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie

Sienne L'Hiver is a perfume by Eau d'Italie for women and men and was released in 2006. The scent is green-powdery. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesGeranium, Violet, Fern
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, White truffle, Frankincense
Base Notes Base NotesHay, Labdanum, Gaiac wood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 05.10.2019

SherapopSherapop 7 years ago

„Redundancy and twilight are sometimes good things...”

TarTar 6 years ago

„Real Hungarian Fragrance”

6.0 8.0 8.5/10

Lavender silver, delicate touch
embroidered with light flowers also
and a look from a half blind mirror

November blues five after three
a barber chair is just becoming available
my rain cape drips from a temple

candied violets, smoked tea
the air carries a hunch snow
and church bells dumpf' ringing

the old heavy oak bench
the cup from which I never drank
Skin and hair and clothes of all the people

a reflection of nostalgia
and certainly also melancholy
anthracite wreathed dances my soul

deep dark earth, stones also
a dense forest and dark smoke
Water splashes at the old mill

a moment of tenderness
of peace, of infinity
like a stone sink' deeper me and deeper

tender and subtle, close to my skin
a little strange and yet familiar
like a home': Sienne l'Hiver
8.0 7.0 7.0 6.0/10

Sadness
Scentrack:
B.B. King - Thrill is Gone

Cloudy, sad Sunday in monotone Siena. Chilly day and cold unpleasant wind. No one's on the street, except a few passersby in the hurry to get to their warm homes. Everyone wants to be saved. This is the impression given me by this scent. No roasted chestnuts, no human warmth, no gluckwein. Just coldness and loneliness.
This scent started with violet leaf, some more green notes and geranium. Soon the cold heart gives me pale iris and powdery olibanum. There is some woodiness also, very similar to one observed in Bois d'Ombrie but much paler. Clearly Bertrand's olfactive signature.
Wearing this my skin is cold, my heart is cold. No reason to try this again.

Rating: 6/10

LicoriceRain
Olives in powder, but not too girly.
Sienne l'Hiver opens with geranium leaf, violet petals, and fern, but I can only describe what my nose smells: Dry olives in powder. Ever since I smelled the drugstore body mist Olive and Aloe from Healing Gardens, I realized how much I love the smell of olives, although I hate the taste! The olive note is obvious, but not overpowering because it is softened by the powder (or the blend that smells like powder to my nose). I would like to say Sienne l'Hiver is a well-balanced fragrance, but that awesome olive note simply drowns in all that powder. I suspect Eau d’Italie tries too hard to be like Serge Lutens because their frags, the ones I have tried, all have that same powdery drydown. Overall, Sienne l'Hiver is unique, and definitely worth sampling.
10.0 10.0 7.5 3.0/10

Real Hungarian Fragrance
I am really sorry for my terribly biased opinion, I know it is not normal, even here, where different opinions are so warmly welcomed. Everything depends on personal chemistry.

I had two preconceptions:
1. SIENNE L'HIVER comes from Eau d'Italie, so it will not be too loud or extreme, rather historical.
2. SIENNE L'HIVER comes from Bertrand Duchaufour, so it will change a lot, and I can not even imagine, what nonsense monster is closed in the vial.

1. false 2. true.
I made other people to check: does my skin really emit that odor, what I think it emits? And they confirmed. This is a totally gourmand fragrance, but on the worst way. Steps:
- salty red paprika (spice, not vegetable)
- paprika with seeds (the vegetable, not spice)
- paprika stew
- a small onion basic mood under the paprika (I was quite obstinate to not scrub it down)
- goulash (thinking about a new job as living restaurant advertiser)
- paprika + tomato stem.
I exposed other people to smelling this creepy gourmand fragrance, and they agreed with nearly the whole list. They were less and less enthusiastic to come near to me, so it must be the rough truth.

Please sample SIENNE L'HIVER before you buy. In the bottle it is so incredibly beautiful! Even my family members can wear it naturally as a deep and dark green, fern-centered fragrance, persistent and potent.
5.0 7.5 7.0/10

Redundancy and twilight are sometimes good things...
I feel as though I've smelled the opening of Eau d'Italie SIENNE L'HIVER many times before. Something about the slightly sweet, violet-scented finely powdered cedar? Yes, the opening moments of this composition smell very familiar indeed. It's cedar, not iso-E-super, so I'm happy to be in the presence of this scent, no matter how many times I've smelled it before. (Creed LOVE IN BLACK, anyone?)

Somehow I managed yet again to select for testing a creation by Bertrand Duchaufour. I am actually starting to wonder whether I might be a Duchaufour magnet. My hand seems naturally to reach for the Duchaufour hiding in any cache of samples! Fortunately, I like his work, so with rare exceptions, I have been happy with the new discoveries I have hit upon.

SIENNE L'HIVER joins the winners, in my book. After a few minutes, this creation begins to reveal its distinctness--this is not a clone or a knock-off or even an unintentional copy of anything else because the drydown is very different from the opening. Once the cedar and violet have faded, then more of a ferny quality emerges, making me begin to see what Rebella is referring to, below.

I love the opening, however redundant it may seem, but I also like the drydown, which is more of a savory grayish green than a sweet purplish cedar scent. It's as though the perfume has started out its day full of vim and verve and then winds down for a nap. Or perhaps a better comparison would be the short days which we are now experiencing in Boston, with the sun setting by 4pm. Brightness cedes to twilight over the course of a short period of time. For some this may be a source of seasonal affective disorder. For others, it could represent a felicitous extension of the night.
7.5 6.0/10

Medieval and melancholy.
Some perfumes smells good and others smell bad. Some perfumes are bottled stories, fairy tale trips and travels through space and time. Sienne L'Hiver is one of those magic potions.

It leads me through a somewhat slow and wintery town, yes it could be Sienna, but also any other old town with sleepy old buildings and narrow alleys. Maybe I´m not -only- visiting Sienna in winter, but Sienna as it was hundred of years ago before cars and air poisoning factories... It is a strange creature. Murky and gloomy as the forgotten backyard of a closed grocery store. Damp and dark woods and resolving bricks. Yet with little streaks of something warm and foody, roasted, aromatic and not anything like the everyday food I use to eat. Some softer notes bringing a little sweetness to it, there must be a floral shop somewhere or do I sense the fragrance of a winter funeral from distant?

Yes, Sienne L'Hiver is on the verge to melancholia for me. No, I don´t "like" like it, it´s seldom I feel the need to smell like this. It´s more a state of mind then a scent to have in my usual "routine".

by MrFumejunkie
by MrFumejunkie

Popular Eau d'Italie

Jardin du Poète by Eau d'Italie Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie Baume du Doge by Eau d'Italie Sienne L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie Bois d'Ombrie by Eau d'Italie Acqua Decima by Eau d'Italie Au Lac by Eau d'Italie Magnolia Romana by Eau d'Italie Eau d'Italie by Eau d'Italie Un Bateau pour Capri by Eau d'Italie Morn to Dusk by Eau d'Italie Graine de Joie by Eau d'Italie Easy To Love by Eau d'Italie Rosa Greta by Eau d'Italie Fior Fiore by Eau d'Italie