Angéliques sous la Pluie 2000

Angéliques sous la Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle
Bottle Design Frédéric Malle
Angéliques sous la Pluie is a perfume by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle for women and men and was released in 2000. The scent is spicy-fresh. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesJuniper berry, Pink pepper, Bergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesAngelica
Base Notes Base NotesCedarwood, White musk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 15.08.2020.

Augusto
Angelica through the window in the rain
Angelica in fragrances I like very, spicy, bitter, musky. Strict or soft. This angelica (what a beautiful name, isn't it?) was in the rain. It's a little washed-out, like looking through a raindrop-blurred window. Or even watercoloured with a lot of water. There are quite different, almost biting, astringent top notes, which also hold. This one's different. Flowery, soft, almost a little soggy. Or also tender to the touch and dreamy, depending on the point of view, finds AugustA.
A whiff of nothing...
Angéliques Sous La Pluie brings back memories. I associate it with a damp morning after a thunderstorm night in the mountains, with fog on the meadows. Everything is bathed in a grey light, but the first rays of light in the sky find their way through the clouds that waft around the summits.
I feel lost, and yet at the same time in the here and now.
Sometimes I have the feeling this fragrance does not RIGHT, it just IS.
Hardly tangible floral notes, with a tiny dash of spice and a slight freshness. Like nature in the rain.
A breath of nothing that still holds me captive and has an insane effect on me. I don't get any compliments, but I feel so incredibly well as with hardly any other fragrance.
Never would I have thought that so little can be so much.
The durability is extendable (to say it nicely), but the smell echoes with me for a long time, even if it is actually hardly perceptible anymore.
Angéliques Sous La Pluie is silent - and I enjoy. And that's what I'm talking about, totally positive.
Like the memory
Angéliques sous la Pluie is like an airy veil of memory that surrounds me as a wearer. A fresh, spicy, airy dream of Angelica and juniper. In my opinion, this theme could not be more modern and timeless. However, it is a dance on a knife edge. The result is as fragile as dragonfly wings and yet so deep and emotional. It is neither too herbaceous nor too creaky.

It is the memory of yesterday's evening walk in autumn. A golden sunset, clear air and mossy, damp forest soil. It is the memory of the sensual smell of skin. It is the memory of a loved one. You feel connected. Can you smell connectedness? And if so, how do you manage to preserve this state in a fragrance!
ASlP is practically unnoticeable for me after 3 hours. Nevertheless the tender memory of the AslP feeling manifests itself.
For me the perfect fragrance to go with business dress. Where no perfume is actually appropriate, I like to use it very much. It is personal, neat, elegant and I feel comfortable.

If you want to get through the day with it in a perceptible way, you can be prepared to have to check every 20 minutes. If necessary no knockout criterion, because I might use up a bottle as an exception ;-) Whether 3 sprayers or 20...ASlP stays absolutely true to his character ;-)
Many fragrances I was allowed to test were great. Many of them were forgotten shortly after. Not because of a lack of durability, but because they did not create images, moods or feelings in me. The only thing these scents would create is probably an empty feeling in my wallet.

Strictly speaking, it is an impertinence to throw a fragrance onto the market that goes over the Wupper after 3 hours. Angéliques sous la Pluie is the only fragrance I can't be angry with for this. I accept it, because only with this compromise could I create what I can perceive here. I keep silent and spray.....after......and after......and after....

A shame its price.
It is the typical perfume of Ellena, well done, nice, but very simple.

Its opening is crispy angelica, it is bitter and fresh, this makes it something clean and transparent for its cedar and musk.

Small longevity, moderate sillage at start and minimum spent a couple of hours, it is more for good weather (not hot), but its price does not buy it again.

A Revisit
I am looking at Angeliques sous la pluie again and have deleated my review that I wrote a couple of years ago (posted only recently) as on re-testing found it wasn't quite the whole picture for me. I flip flop between thinking Angelique is beautiful and just plain irritating.

On first spray there is effervesant juniper drying to reveal a touch of cumin that is deftly covered by fresh cut cedarwood. But that cedarwood note is not quite cedarwood and after an hour or so makes me feel quite unwell

On my skin it is slightly sweet, dried autumn leaves, rosey pepper, black pepper, cedar, cumin, a little resinous (camphor or pine maybe), musky, juniper, and something a little salty. And that dang cedarwood (but not cedarwood) note that makes me feel quite unwell.

Very soft scent (like a weak cologne) but long lasting.

It is lovely for a short while then much too much so on my 'use it or lose it' kick it is a 'lose it'.

Carded sample March 2014

Lost in the rain...
Like being in the place where a ten ton coriander loaded truck crashed into a pepper storehouse, under a showering rain. The first hour or so is like being on the spot when it happens. The rest (which is not much) is like visiting the place three months later. I love both pepper and coriander, but I think that nearly 150 euros for a fleeting whiff of them is way too much. On the other hand, it has one of the most beautiful and melodious names ever. After all, how many perfumes out there allow you to answer with what could be a lyrical poem's title, when asked what perfume are you wearing?

Drseid
An Underrated Gem from Ellena...
Beautiful scent by Jean-Claude Ellena. Angeliques Sous La Pluie opens with a tremendously invigorating green/herbal accord that must be the angelica. Then some cumin appeared as it does in other scents from Ellena like Declaration, which resembles BO. Oh no, this is not looking as good as I thought... Luckily, Ellena balances the cumin much better here than he has in many other scents where it is a great off-putting distraction, allowing the angelica to still dominate and mix with a very nice pink pepper supporting note. At the base, I get primarily cedar, and JC Ellena definitely knows how to do cedar right. Longevity and projection are both regrettably below average.

All this is quite minimalistic, subtle and rather inspired. I understand the negative comments related to the pricing; that is indeed a hard one to take considering how minimalistic the scent is. I guess sometimes for a niche scent created by a master nose like Ellena, that is the price of admission. With his best efforts in Terre d'Hermes and Eau de Campagne, Angelique Sous La Pluie is right behind those greats and is highly recommended if you can afford it. 4 stars out of 5.

Angelica Locked in a Cedar Closet
The opening of Frédéric Malle ANGELIQUES SOUS LA PLUIE is really quite beautiful. I approached this perfume with some hesitation because of some prior negative experiences with a couple of other compositions too liberally dosed with angelica. They were something of herbal nightmares, to be perfectly frank (quoi d'autre?). This one certainly is not.

Unfortunately, after a few minutes the angelica has all but dissipated into the cosmos, leaving behind the familiar J.-C. Ellena cedar base common to a couple of the Hermès JARDIN series perfumes. By the drydown, this composition seems more like angelica locked in a cedar closet!

by Aava
by Aava
by Kiengira
by Kiengira
by Carlossp
by Carlossp

Popular Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle

The Moon by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Portrait of a Lady by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Monsieur. by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Une Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Dries Van Noten par Frédéric Malle by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Le Parfum de Thérèse by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Geranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Eau de Magnolia by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Rose & Cuir by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle