Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle
Carnal Flower is a popular perfume by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle for women and men and was released in 2005. The scent is floral-green. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Melon, Eucalyptus
Heart Notes Heart NotesYlang-ylang, Salicylate, Jasmine absolute
Base Notes Base NotesTuberose absolute, Orange blossom absolute, Coconut, White musk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 02.05.2021.

Gorgeous and sexy
This is my kind of floral fragrance. Totally unisex and perfect for a summers evening. So smooth and tropical. This is a perfume to bring back memories of travel to exotic lands. I love a fragrance that makes you feel happy and Carnal Flower certainly does that.

Carnal Flower!
A flower oasis!
Tuberose, jasmine, eucalyptus, coconut and melon. There is also a bit of musk after a couple of hours.
The melon smells beautiful for the first hour. Very realistic.
The perfume is "sticky", thick and green.

Although it is for warmer weather, it works beautifully during cold winter days. It lasts about 10h+ and the sillage is huge.
It will remain on the clothes for a couple of weeks, amazing longevity on clothes.

Dominique Ropion... I believe that if we give him tuna oil, dust, mustard, banana and ketchup - he would be able to make a masterpiece. Man is simply a master of his craft.

10+ from me!
Annabraucht
From spring, summer, autumn and winter.
A Malle always manages to bring out the natural scents in me in such a way that I think every single chord is in front of me. Again, there was an explosion of flowers, plants, colors and seasons!

The coconut breaks open and a spring-fresh breeze blows my way. Like thousands, fresh green leaves and buds on trees and shrubs. The orange-pink sunrise in the morning makes you forget that your own breath is underlining the bone-chilling morning chill.
Coconut buzzes around me, almost seeming a little awkward and clumsy in this scenario.
Slowly, jasmine and ylang ylang start to bloom and it gets warmer. The winds more bulging and my mind calmer. The warmth is good; but the eucalyptus brings the refreshment it needs. I haven't gotten used to the warmth yet.
Tuberose comes into play, making last green notes and buds disappear. Summer is here. Finally.
Coconut is still present. It was quietly in the background, but now I find it very pleasant and fitting. I allow it to dance the summer away with the tuberose and orange blossom. Wonderful. Hand in hand.
Joy, warmth, well-being.

What a changeable floral scent! Thank you for such a play of feelings and head cinema.
It was and is a pleasure for me.

Tuberose rules just like Fracas
There are a lot of reviews on this perfume, and I don’t want to overstate what has been said. I’ll make it quick. I love tuberose, and thus I own multiple bottles from various brands.

This perfume is lovely, and even sexy if tuberose could ever present like that, but it smells like a “dirty,” green Fracas.

I’d also like to throw in here that another similar scent is Lovely Life by Geparly, which is inexpensive, but gives that clean, bright, warm, strong, sweet tuberose scent, and doesn’t have the almost dirty smell like Carnal Flower has with the addition of eucalyptus and white musk. So, in this comparison, I prefer sweet over musky.

Longevity great. Sillage good. Price expensive.

There are other notes involved here, but on my skin tuberose is king if it’s a note present at all. I’m not keen on eucalyptus.

Carnal Flower is a bit sexy, nice and modern, but I prefer the old fashioned feminine tuberose in the other two perfumes I mentioned.

Ptsau
My only Tuberose fragrance in my collection!
I usually don’t like tuberose scents because they are either too feminine or too masculine but this one is a definite unisex. I never tried a sample of it nor considered getting it because it said it’s a white floral dominated scent. I hate white floral as it’s always too feminine or powdery. Until I just tried it at a FM counter after years, I fell in love with it and had to get a bottle immediately.

I always love FM as a brand and love their Musc Ravageur. This one is totally different than the Musc Ravageur except its quality is as good as Musc Ravageur. Floral but warm and cozy, very unisex. It revolves in different stages. The opening is the elegant white floral scent with hip cozy feel instead of the old lady floral scent. Then the heart becomes the dry green tuberose dominant with very light ylang ylang and coconut peaks thru from the base, which I prefer because it would make it less feminine scent this way. The dry tuberose would last until the base and would be even drier along with the coconut and musk. It is slightly animalic in the base but it’s so intoxicating. I don’t get the melon and bergamot notes on me tho. Anyway I just love this fragrance.

Performance is superb! Last 12 hours on my skin and days on my clothes. Projection is big for at least 5 hours and won’t turn into skin scent until the 7-8 hour mark.

This one is another one that you would have to get your nose on it and cannot judge by the notes breakdown. I can’t believe I found it is a 9.5/10 floral based fragrance for me because I used to hate floral scents.
Jazzbob
"Mastering the tuberose is not a task for the young and the unexperienced. It is a bit like writing poetry about love. Making something new on this theme isn't easy - Dominique Ropion
According to the perfumer, Carnal Flower should bring out all the characteristics of tuberose - beguilingly floral, medicinal-green, animal-creamy - and be supported by the other notes. Allegedly it took 18 months of work and 690 attempts to reach the final result. And that one really impressed me
Although I didn't think the fragrance was completely new when I first tested it, I found this very plant-based side of tuberose (and for me, jasmine) to be particularly valuable from the very beginning. Its creator succeeded in adding eucalyptus, for example, not in a bold way as a cool, fresh element, but to emphasize the light and green facets. A close symbiosis is thus achieved here by all the components. The entire work already has a sensual-floral quality that is otherwise only perceptible in real flowers. Coconut is not to be discovered superficially, but a light creaminess, which reminds me a little bit of sun lotion and becomes more prominent with time. The plant-green colour remains, however, the same.

This naturalness and the radiant and initially clean effect of the fragrance is quite insidious, because the intensity of the white-flowering plants brings something narcotic. It is this tiny Indo-Aryan nuance that makes the difference. Although the sweetness is moderate and no really heavy or dark note is used, Carnal Flower leaves an enormously intense aura, so the dose is extremely important here. Two sprayers (from the small sample) were the maximum for me and immediately after application I even underestimated them, because it takes a while before the fragrance fully unfolds. Anything beyond that can be stressful not only for the environment but also for the wearer himself/herself.

Dominique Ropion didn't add typical base notes as a contrast, but still created a complex, strong perfume that many might consider to be the reference for tuberose by now. It is absolutely stereotypically feminine, but of course it can be worn by any man who loves light floral fragrances. But you won't find too many occasions to spray Carnal Flower on - unless you are very self-confident and want to make a real statement.
i found a scent twin
i imagined the smell differently. Unfortunately for me it smells exactly like Guerlain Terracotta EdT but more intense and longer they're Scent Twins to me.
I own the fragrance as a hair perfume, I ordered it blindly, because it is so highly praised. As a hair perfume I can use it well in summer. I have also received compliments for it, although I do not smell it so intensively myself, which I am actually glad about.
so you can combine it well with Guerlain terracotta.

Sweet and intense tuberose
Probably my favourite tubesoses based perfume and probably one of the most longlasting one. The mix with the coconut gives a very nice sweet and creamy vibe yo the perfume, while the eucaliptos and the bergamota give to It a green and fresh side which makes It very weareable and versatile. This perfume worths every cent you soend on It. It is intense and sweet so It is a good opción for nightout ir going to eventos, but st the sean time is flowery and elegante, what makes It a very good opción for daily use or as an Office fragance.

Scent: 10
Longevity: 10
Sillage: 8
Versatility: 9
Quality/price: 5 (150€/30ml bit expensive but very good)
Mu opinión: 9.5
0.5

DorothyGrace
A Strange old Beast (and it is a Beast)
The first spray made me feel, "Ha! That's nice. Nothing I have liked for ages and then five come along at once.", the others being from Pappillon and Joan Collins.

Within a few minutes however my impression did a sharp about turn to , "Yikes!".

The first few minutes made me feel that the perfume would be a lighter, easier to wear Fracas type of perfume but all too soon a thick, heavily sweet coconut cream poured over a rich, dense, sweet Tuberose and built up and up and up to overwhelming levels - this from a single spray from one of those 2 ml carded samples.

10 minutes in and a peppery aftershave type of note started to waft to my nose, which did remind of eucalyptus but was rather odd paired with the coconut/tuberose. This aftershave/eucalyptus note is tenacious as four hours after washing the perfume off it still projects strongly.

I get that coconut cream with tuberose syrup very heartily from Do Son by Diptyque which to my nose smells like those sun tan oils that were ever present throughout the '80s. That I find quite nice but with the eucalyptus - not so much.

I found this perfume powerful, one that I could smell constantly throughout the wear (which would have been great had I liked it). Carnal Flower makes Fracas seem positively well behaved on me.

I really dislike the eucalyptus pairing. Even after I had washed it off and four hours later my son said I stunk, it was acrid, and wouldn't stay in the same room as me. I agreed and was pleased I had only sprayed my wrists which several washes later were still radiating. Next morning, some 20 hours after application, and despite 3 or 4 washes with soap and water, my wrists still smell faintly of a really odd medicinal smelling eucalyptus and sweet sweet artificial coconut floral.

I never tried the original so can't compare but this one to me smells very artificial and harsh. Some of that may be the pairing with my skin but it smells pretty similar on a paper tester to me.

Polyanthes
A lab grown tuberose. ...
I know I'm in the minority here and I'm not expecting positive ratings ;-) but this is my honest review after two thorough testings in different temperatures allowing the perfume to run its full course. I thought (I hope) a contrasting experience might be useful.

Frederic Malle Carnal flower opens with an amazing blast of flower shop, as in, I've suddenly shrunk, I'm very small and standing amongst a giant bunch of eucalyptus stems. It's wow, but it lasts less than five minutes.
Judging from the notes I should love CF, but this perfume quickly gets very harsh on me and doesn't stop. It's going for the whole plant with green bits included, I get that, but it's just so fresh and clean and metallic and it's screeching synthetics at me and catching in my mouth. How can this be when the sales pitch is that it "contains the highest amount of natural tuberose in the perfume industry" ? Are they really talking about the 'whole' perfume industry? Perhaps it's the salicylates that are bothering me, although I usually quite enjoy them.

I'm beginning to think that this cool, clean treatment of tuberose does not work with my skin chemistry as I have a similar problem with Narcotic Venus and Do Son. I'm a tuberose lover and have owned pure tuberose enfleurage and several different tuberose absolutes. I've never before had chemistry clashes like this with any perfumes with a high content of quality natural materials.
I'm not saying this doesn't smell like tuberose, it definitely does, an ultra-mod, sharp, melony tuberose with all the warm, voluptuous plumpness sucked out of it in a vampiric way, and it's strong, almost headache inducing. It's photorealistic, but it's an image of isolated tuberose in a lab under artificial light. This is just so cold and, well, unfriendly. This perfume refuses to get real or intimate with me, it wont merge with my skin at any point in the dry down. It remains sitting like a slice of cool just above my skin, pretending to look the other way while it pokes me annoyingly trying to get attention, faking aloofness for the duration. There is something that seems unkind and bitter here and it's getting in my mouth so much that I feel it is trying to force-feed me. But I'm not swallowing it, no sireee... No way.
Even the soft musky remnants left at the end of its life are detached, cool and clinically clean.
All the notes listed are detectable but seem to have a harsh edge. Sadly for me it's not edgy in the good way.
The sillage is pretty hefty and it is uncomfortably tenacious on my skin.
This one really doesn't like me, and the feeling's mutual.

MariaSMariaS 1 month ago
It smells like walking through the streets of my village in Crete at Spring.Intense white flower smell, very elegant and more feminine to me
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 9 months ago
A rather intense fresh and creamy, yet slightly animalic (white) floral Spring fragrance, balanced by a bright spicy-green opening. Classy!
EmorandeiraEmorandeira 2 years ago
Tuberose & Jasmine, coconut and eucaliptos... Floral, sweet and fresh. This perfume is weareable in almost every ocasión.

by Lucy55
by Lucy55
by OvidiuH
Der Meister nach getaner Arbeit..
by Toppine
by Marta
by Ch053n0n3
by Ch053n0n3
by Emorandeira
For me the best of this house, but they climb the vine
by Carlossp

Popular Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Portrait of a Lady by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle The Moon by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Monsieur. by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Une Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Dries Van Noten par Frédéric Malle by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Le Parfum de Thérèse by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle The Night by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Angéliques sous la Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Geranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Rose & Cuir by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle