Eau de Magnolia by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle

Eau de Magnolia is a popular perfume by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle for women and men and was released in 2014. The scent is floral-fresh. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Carlos Benaïm

Magnolia, Calabrian bergamot, Vetiver, Amber, Patchouli, Cedarwood, Tree moss

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 13.06.2019

9.0/10

Good Classic Floral Chypre
There is always the danger of giving a too realistic name to the composition, the one of not meeting the user expectations about his/her idead of the element that names the perfume. From what i have been seeing from comments i have read, this is a problem that happened with Frederic Malle Eau de Magnolia. I read critiques about its citrus aspect, it's lemon overdose, and this instigate me to search for the gas cromatographic analysis of the elements the flower exudes.From what is described, i think that the perfumer who created Eau de Magnolia was very literal with its smell. the flower is rich in chemical compounds that would give her a citrus, green, herbal aroma, with a green bitter lemony rose nuance (probably due the high percentual of geraniol). And it's exactly this way that this fragrance start on my skin; little by little, it makes the transition to a more creamy floral, with the white floral idea enchanced here, a transition from a magnolia aroma to something like jasmine or honeysuckle. In this point i notice that there is a very classic inspiration on this creation: Eau de Magnolia revisits the citrus floral chypre cold structure of Cristalle Chanel (specially in the EDP version), giving it a greener aura and putting more emphasis on the citrus side of the idea. To me, it's the kind of sober and elegant floral chypre that is not much made anymore and that impresses me due its harmony in its aroma, not strong neither delicate, and its great technical aspect, good diffusion on skin.Altough its critiques, i think it's a very well successful Frederic Malle.
7.0/10

Magnolia Sneeze
There's a big magnolia tree in back of my house and I can't wait for it to blossom every year. It's the magnolia grandiflora. The scent that fills our neighborhood from it and its relatives is splendidly languid. Eau de Magnolia, the perfume, has something spicy or chemical layered over the floral. What I'm left with is a faint odor of magnolia and a powerful desire to sneeze. Not sure about the longevity, because either my nasal passages are closing to protect themselves or this swiftly vanished on my skin. Those not allergic to things may find this woody/green magnolia appealing. For me it's a disappointment. Malle's Une Rose is easily among my top 5 favorites and I hoped they'd done the same thing with magnolia. Not this time.

9/6/2018
I posted the above in 2014 and, forgetting it, bought a bottle of this fragrance yesterday after a quick sniff at a perfume counter. Today I wore it and gradually became disoriented, lightheaded, lungs struggling for air to the point of fainting. Whatever aroma-chemicals are in this perfume are toxic. I believe some of these new synthetics don't harm at first but with daily use they do over time. I had to take a shower and ventilate my house. When I can breathe easily again, I'm going to see who's trying to do something about this and try to help.