French Lover Bois d'Orage 2007

French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle
French Lover is a popular perfume by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle for men and was released in 2007. The scent is green-spicy. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Eau de Gentiane Blanche

CedarCedar
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouliPatchouli
FrankincenseFrankincense
MuskMusk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 13.07.2021.

This fragrance is sold as "Bois d'Orage" in the US and Canada.

Love at first sight
What can I say ... it was love at first sight, it is woody, spicy and very pleasant and elegant.

It looks like a 'softer' version of Creed Royal Oud, with which it shares a fantastic cedar wood, very versatile even if I see it better in an autumn / winter context.

The more it dries, the more a very sensual note of incense emerges, not at all 'church' to be clear.

One of my absolute favorites, definitely unisex.
ScentBubble
Would you like to pour the wine, honey?
Sabine and Achim are a couple for ages. It hasn't always been easy, but they have always stuck together and defied the often harsh reality. The two children they have had together are now out of the house. Marie moved into their student flat two years ago, Hannes has already earned his spurs as an engineer with a well-known company. But the house has by no means become too big as the children have moved out. Marie's room is now used as a guest room, Hannes' former domicile was converted into a gambling den immediately after he moved out. From time to time Achim has cyber-battles with mates of the same age. In the beginning Sabine rolled her eyes, meanwhile she smiles about it.

Today, on this late summer afternoon, everything is just right. The sun is doing its best once again. Both have done the budget as planned and now a little bit of Saturday afternoon. So nothing was more obvious than to pick some delicious things out of the fridge, put a bottle of wine in it, get on the e-bikes and just ride, always in the direction of nature.

Finally they find a cosy place on a forest meadow, not far from the sparsely travelled country road.

Achim pulls blanket and food out of the bicycle bag, Sabine takes the wine out of the blue cool transport box. She smiles at her husband like on the first day, hands him the bottle and asks:

"Would you like to pour the wine, honey?"

Achim is fine. He is proud of his wife, still can hardly resist her smile - and has put on "French Lover". Appropriate for the occasion, as always...

First of all, the inclined but pragmatic perfume lover can't avoid frowning and shaking his head at the name "French Lover". On the one hand, the question could arise as to which French lover is meant here. Is it about the concrete way of ... well, exchanging ideas or does this term refer to the origin of the lover? On the other hand: Even if one is quite sure about the answer to these questions, what on earth does it have to do with the scent? In my opinion, the North Americans, who are somewhat reserved when it comes to sexuality, have solved it better: Bois d'Orage - Holzsturm. That's exactly what this fragrance should be called!

Why?

Well, it starts off rather sharp green with a dominant juniper note. After a few minutes, the mainly cedar-wood phase begins, paired with subtle patchouli and naturally beautiful light, wet vetiver.

After the drydown the heavy wood storm ebbs away a little and Angelika takes over the helm - the plant mind you, a threesome would be out of the question for Sabine and Achim. The scent becomes slightly cool and distant. Even a powdery note I think I notice. The bitterness often present in vetiver is not present at any time, at least not for my sense of smell.

Even when the wood storm is at full throttle for the first three hours, which is easy to perceive here at arm's length, and becomes very close to my skin after about seven hours, it always remains a quiet but unique scent that never comes across as synthetic. This, in combination with its slightly cool aura, makes it wearable in the office all year round, although it is likely to experience its magic moments in spring and autumn. I see him primarily in the medieval, mature and naturally distinguished man and I am quite sure that after the bottling is finished I will treat myself to a bottle of this wonderful fragrance - just like Achim did!
Erikmcdreamy
Actually, I don't really like vetiver... actually,
to start with, this perfume scared me off, vetiver is powerful and omnipresent. I have to say, though, that even I, as no great friend of vetiver, have noticed how this one comes across differently than in many other fragrances. I'm not exactly sure why, but for me the nuance in this fragrance seems far greener and more natural than in many others. Even though French Lover doesn't make me a vetiver fan but maybe that's a reason to use it more often?

Well, sprayed on and started. In the course of the day the scent changes, vetiver fades into the background for me, is definitely still there but slowly cedar and allspice come through a bit. This makes everything seem a bit more earthy, which is a very positive development for me. French lover becomes more serious and less fresh. Now a few flowery chords make their way through the dense forest of vetiver, which for me finally justify the French aspect of the name. Personally I would have wished these a little more striking, who doesn't immediately think of the infinite flower fields of Grasse when thinking of France?
If I would have assigned the fragrance to the younger spectrum in the beginning I have to say that it becomes more mature for me on my skin hour by hour, towards the end it is definitely a fragrance for every age group.
If you are a friend of vetiver and elegance, you will definitely get your money's worth here, but for me you will not make it into my collection.
All in all really a perfume of the highest quality and in my eyes the individual notes blend together in a brilliant way to a very harmonious and flowing composition.

The durability is good but not outstanding, Sillage as well.

French Lover will surely bring you many compliments. But in my eyes nothing special and no revolutionary DNA

Science of Doubt
He may look like a Belgian accountant but Pierre Bourdon is a perfume genius. With French Lover he's done something that few have tried and fewer have achieved, the Minimalist Perfume. A pale blend of galbanum and assonant naturals : incense, juniper and the natural exaltolide found in Angelica root. They create an indistinct foggy thing which seems to be all surface and no depth. Like a Mark Rothko canvas, there's no image to pick out here but plenty to feed the unconscious.

French Lover doesn't pronounce - like many perfumes do, it suggests. It hints - at things you think you know; the humid sous-bois of the forest floor, decaying leaves, green and sappy stems peeled of their bark...
Or, if you are more inclined to culture than the natural world there is the Homme Chic : silver grey suit, cardamom coffee, potted plants and pale decor. Both are possible; both have their adherents. By giving the same work two different names in different parts of the world Frederic Malle doesn't rule out either interpretation; it is he who names the juice, not the perfumer. And, as there are two sides to this perfume, it has two names : French Lover / Bois d'orage; ambiguity is all.
The scent works because Pierre Bourdon appears to have grasped in it a Zen quality of minimalism, which doesn't lie in a pale featureless thing with no movement, or soul.
Maybe he's got one of those Japanese teapots - with purely functional shape and subtle blends of colour. At their highest, Zen ceramics show that form and content are not separate qualities - as Susan Sontag has argued - it's more a case of Yang form and Yin content melding together in permissive alliance.

Likewise, in French Lover / Stormwood, the very formlessness of the structure focusses the attention on the subtleties of natural content. The effect is, of course, entirely dependent on Frederic Malle furnishing top quality materials. Without them the work would be little more than the plain pencil-shaving thing that often passes for minimalism.

Although it is not weak or wan (in fact the juice is very strong) French Lover isn't inclined to shout. It does not, like many perfumes, clamour for attention. Instead it murmurs, enigmatically, making you lean in to hear what it's saying. It's a brillant conceit which turns current perfume wisdom on it's head.
But of course, French Lover is not perfect, and like a Zen teapot there will always be a flaw; and thus, in ithis way, it's almost a perfect masterpiece.

Razvanyke
Oh, this is how a modern gentleman should smell
I have tried few samples of FM, like The Moon, Musc Ravageur, Parfume of a Lady and this masterpiece .. this is the only one which I liked but I liked very much !

On my skin, it develops such a beautiful mix between Angelica and Vetiver, which I would describe as a spicy addictive smell, I like the silage which reminds me all day what a beautiful scent I am wearing.

Of course, it will not be for everybody .. of course, there are some other sweet citrusy easy to like smells, but for a modern gentleman which does not want to smell like the typical barbershop lavender .. this is the go to.

I believe this should be the number 1 Frederic Malle perfume, it is simply that good. Do not believe the low longevity and silage notes from above, it lasts easily the whole working day on skin+clothes and it is noticeable.

The older design, not 20years anniversary looks nice and understated, so I got that one. Pierre Bourdon also created Creed GIT, which is not a bad perfume at all.

For me French Lover name is matching the character of the scent and even if I am not French, I do feel like a modern gentleman when wearing this.

REAL LOVE...AT SECOND SIGHT/SMELL
Was it coincidence or fate that brought me together with this unique fragrance?
At that time, without great expectations, I ordered a few bottlings of the fragrances that were interesting for me at that time, without even having an idea that one of them would become my favourite fragrances.
My focus was actually on a different scent and honestly the first sprayer of "French Lover" didn't convince me that much and I thought in the first moment: Pretty green and spicy-fresh... so actually my scent direction and somehow I had this scent in my head and in my nose.
Then came the second attempt and I was already done for.
What a wonderful enrichment, as already said, greenish and spicy, Vetiver+patchouli dance around and enchant me.
Something for the real man, who knows what he wants, self-confidence, good manners is the message here.
The only negative thing is, as so often...the price, but on the other hand I don't want to smell this fragrance on everyone, it should be and remain something special.
I was lucky and got a relatively cheap bottle of the magic elixir.
Flacon: solid
Durability: 4-6 h
Sillage: initially max. arm length

Smellavision
Classy, understated and refined...
Like other FM perfumes I've tried it's a rather dark experience as it opens with incense and pepper, but slowly gives way to a greener woody side with oakmoss, vetiver, cedar and the ever present angelica.
10 points for originality, but not a wow experience. Herbal and dry, but never sweet. Very versatile, can be used for both work and formal settings, also possible to use all year round. Though it has a green and forestlike quality and even dries down to a cedarlike composition, it somehow seems very urban to me.

To quote another review I once saw "Although it's not my style, I can't deny its quality."
The clandestine lover
"Say, what are you fiddling with me for?"

"Well, listen, I'm a lover! I'm a French lover, to be exact. I knead a roll here, pinch a nose there, tickle a nip..."

"You are something else Sneak up on them and quietly start with the amorous activities. How long have you been doing this?"

"In general," you mean? Since 2007. Or specifically now with you? Since this morning! And what does 'sneaking around' mean? You finally sprayed me yourself! In full knowledge of my name!"

"Oh, and then you can just make out on the quiet? I think you're confusing the two: politeness, manners, good clothes - you're not supposed to notice that on the spot, you're supposed to have only perceived it as a memory in retrospect. It's different with fumbling. I, at least, like to get them straight away. Why do you go at it like that?"

"Reaching is the key word! Here I can at least really get at it. In America they don't like it that much, I'm only allowed to thunder down incognito
"Well, you know, it took me a while to catch your act. You don't have to hide your qualities You offer... well... certainly no demonstrative sexiness, let alone primitive broad-leggedness. Your appearance has style: the angular-sharp start, green-herbal with bitter iris. You don't want to make it too easy, do you? Maybe secretly be conquered on your part? It's probably not by chance that I have to think of Brussels sprouts, which I also had to conquer in the course of my life - as a child I loathed them because they were bitter."

"Brussels sprouts...?"

"It's just a picture, don't panic! Whoever smells carefully will soon feel its sensual core. There's an idea of sweaty - have you taken a pinch of cumin? After two hours, your skin is almost warm and spicy. And yet at the same time distinguished and tart. Restrained, yet strong smoke completes your morning routine."

"Mmmmmmh...I like that better!"
"From midday onwards you become calmer, the afternoon is calmly woody-green and in the course of the day vetiver becomes more and more distinct, fresh, powerful and clean. You even seem to rasp a little liquorice out of it, probably to make the vetiver a bit rounder, darker and more tobacco like. You can smell all this wonderfully lovely!"

"I'm very touched by the way you looked at me... Do you really find me attractive?"
"I think so! And next time, let me know before they start having sex, okay?"

French Sahara
This is not typically French for me. It has French features, though. It's the point of intersection between the Occident and the Orient. Algerian coast, warm sand dunes with the typical green-brown bushes and plants and their elegant, herbaceous sandy smell. This is French Lover. The smell of the French-influenced Sahara at the edge of the Mediterranean Sea. Both green and brown, both herbaceous and sandy.

It starts out green and rough and becomes softer, browner and creamier over time. Vetiver has the sceptre in the beginning and this is a rough, wet and earthy vetiver. But the fragrance changes quickly, becomes lighter green, drier, bushier and for me you can already see the elegant and sandy heart creeping up.

All in all it is a wonderful, noble and above all elegant composition that reminds me of people like Albert Camus. French people from Algeria, people who have seen and experienced both sides and carry a certain calmness and superiority in and with them.
Insa
The shaved, perfumed early riser
Totally forgot that I own a bottling of it :D
But that happens sometimes, when you hoard bottlings so excessively.

Fragrances with vetiver always have something rustic and soothing.
I always have this image in my mind of a man who stands in the bathroom every morning before work, freshly shaved and in a white shirt, putting on his signature perfume.
He's always worn this.
In fact, we don't even know when he started it.
And off we go to work.
He's never been late
That's the kind of perfume French Lover is With wood, patchouli and vetiver.

I kind of like scents Although my father never wore perfume But he would fit in well in this age group.

And if a younger man were to wear it, it might make him look more confident than he probably is, so it's not a bad idea either.
Fragrances can have a great effect ;)

StaticStatic 3 months ago
If you want to smell expensive but discreet, this one may be it. Love the moss note wich give it something “exclusive”. 10/10!!
StarscreamStarscream 2 years ago
Similarity to Monocle Laurel is only in the opening
HermeshHermesh 6 years ago
Everything revolves around the grassy-woody heart with strong angelika note. Intelligent, clever and animalic in the sense "wild"&"natural".

by Flanker
by Flanker
Bois d'Orage
by 115jp
Spät in der Nacht ist er unterwegs...und zeichnet...
by Rivegauche
Seit 2007, erfolgreich von Anfang an...im Wandel der Zeit ;-)
by Rivegauche
by Pmr
by Pmr
by Leka
by Leka
After a while since I bought it, I think it's home is a little bluff
by Carlossp
by SpiroErgoSum
by SpiroErgoSum
by Montexx
by Montexx

Popular Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Portrait of a Lady by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle The Moon by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Monsieur. by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Une Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Dries Van Noten par Frédéric Malle by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Le Parfum de Thérèse by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Eau de Magnolia by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Angéliques sous la Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle The Night by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Geranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle