French Lover Bois d'Orage 2007

French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle
French Lover is a popular perfume by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle for men and was released in 2007. The scent is green-spicy. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Pierre Bourdon

Top Notes Top NotesFlorentine iris, Pimento, Galbanum
Heart Notes Heart NotesAngelica, Vetiver, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Frankincense, Musk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 16.09.2020.

This fragrance is sold as "Bois d'Orage" in the US and Canada.

REAL LOVE...AT SECOND SIGHT/SMELL
Was it coincidence or fate that brought me together with this unique fragrance?
At that time, without great expectations, I ordered a few bottlings of the fragrances that were interesting for me at that time, without even having an idea that one of them would become my favourite fragrances.
My focus was actually on a different scent and honestly the first sprayer of "French Lover" didn't convince me that much and I thought in the first moment: Pretty green and spicy-fresh... so actually my scent direction and somehow I had this scent in my head and in my nose.
Then came the second attempt and I was already done for.
What a wonderful enrichment, as already said, greenish and spicy, Vetiver+patchouli dance around and enchant me.
Something for the real man, who knows what he wants, self-confidence, good manners is the message here.
The only negative thing is, as so often...the price, but on the other hand I don't want to smell this fragrance on everyone, it should be and remain something special.
I was lucky and got a relatively cheap bottle of the magic elixir.
Flacon: solid
Durability: 4-6 h
Sillage: initially max. arm length

Smellavision
Classy, understated and refined...
Like other FM perfumes I've tried it's a rather dark experience as it opens with incense and pepper, but slowly gives way to a greener woody side with oakmoss, vetiver, cedar and the ever present angelica.
10 points for originality, but not a wow experience. Herbal and dry, but never sweet. Very versatile, can be used for both work and formal settings, also possible to use all year round. Though it has a green and forestlike quality and even dries down to a cedarlike composition, it somehow seems very urban to me.

To quote another review I once saw "Although it's not my style, I can't deny its quality."
The clandestine lover
"Say, what are you fiddling with me for?"

"Well, listen, I'm a lover! I'm a French lover, to be exact. I knead a roll here, pinch a nose there, tickle a nip..."

"You are something else Sneak up on them and quietly start with the amorous activities. How long have you been doing this?"

"In general," you mean? Since 2007. Or specifically now with you? Since this morning! And what does 'sneaking around' mean? You finally sprayed me yourself! In full knowledge of my name!"

"Oh, and then you can just make out on the quiet? I think you're confusing the two: politeness, manners, good clothes - you're not supposed to notice that on the spot, you're supposed to have only perceived it as a memory in retrospect. It's different with fumbling. I, at least, like to get them straight away. Why do you go at it like that?"

"Reaching is the key word! Here I can at least really get at it. In America they don't like it that much, I'm only allowed to thunder down incognito
"Well, you know, it took me a while to catch your act. You don't have to hide your qualities You offer... well... certainly no demonstrative sexiness, let alone primitive broad-leggedness. Your appearance has style: the angular-sharp start, green-herbal with bitter iris. You don't want to make it too easy, do you? Maybe secretly be conquered on your part? It's probably not by chance that I have to think of Brussels sprouts, which I also had to conquer in the course of my life - as a child I loathed them because they were bitter."

"Brussels sprouts...?"

"It's just a picture, don't panic! Whoever smells carefully will soon feel its sensual core. There's an idea of sweaty - have you taken a pinch of cumin? After two hours, your skin is almost warm and spicy. And yet at the same time distinguished and tart. Restrained, yet strong smoke completes your morning routine."

"Mmmmmmh...I like that better!"
"From midday onwards you become calmer, the afternoon is calmly woody-green and in the course of the day vetiver becomes more and more distinct, fresh, powerful and clean. You even seem to rasp a little liquorice out of it, probably to make the vetiver a bit rounder, darker and more tobacco like. You can smell all this wonderfully lovely!"

"I'm very touched by the way you looked at me... Do you really find me attractive?"
"I think so! And next time, let me know before they start having sex, okay?"

French Sahara
This is not typically French for me. It has French features, though. It's the point of intersection between the Occident and the Orient. Algerian coast, warm sand dunes with the typical green-brown bushes and plants and their elegant, herbaceous sandy smell. This is French Lover. The smell of the French-influenced Sahara at the edge of the Mediterranean Sea. Both green and brown, both herbaceous and sandy.

It starts out green and rough and becomes softer, browner and creamier over time. Vetiver has the sceptre in the beginning and this is a rough, wet and earthy vetiver. But the fragrance changes quickly, becomes lighter green, drier, bushier and for me you can already see the elegant and sandy heart creeping up.

All in all it is a wonderful, noble and above all elegant composition that reminds me of people like Albert Camus. French people from Algeria, people who have seen and experienced both sides and carry a certain calmness and superiority in and with them.
Insa
The shaved, perfumed early riser
Totally forgot that I own a bottling of it :D
But that happens sometimes, when you hoard bottlings so excessively.

Fragrances with vetiver always have something rustic and soothing.
I always have this image in my mind of a man who stands in the bathroom every morning before work, freshly shaved and in a white shirt, putting on his signature perfume.
He's always worn this.
In fact, we don't even know when he started it.
And off we go to work.
He's never been late
That's the kind of perfume French Lover is With wood, patchouli and vetiver.

I kind of like scents Although my father never wore perfume But he would fit in well in this age group.

And if a younger man were to wear it, it might make him look more confident than he probably is, so it's not a bad idea either.
Fragrances can have a great effect ;)
Ernstheiter
The elegance of the thistle
Anyone who has already dealt with Frédéric Malle's fragrances knows that normally you should not expect to find any that come up with a head note that is so captivating. In most cases, they do not open with a pleasing composition of citric or floral notes that immediately excite the wearer. Of course, one can also find examples of Frédéric Malle's work that defy this claim, which are pleasing from the very beginning, especially Bigarade Concentrée or Vétiver Extraordinaire.

Fréderic Malle - Duets are not images of Monet or van Gogh that are quickly revealed; they are more like Picassos or Pollocks, images that trigger emotions ranging from rejection to admiration, even when they are not liked.

I think French Lover is a good example of that
Even before the image of a lush green meadow in spring can form in my head right after I have been spinning and before the idea of foggy, damp, impenetrable jungle is formed, my imagination is kept in check by a brownish veil. The jungle pictures still in the making dissolve, the grass is allowed to stay, but no longer on the summer meadow. It has already been cut for a few hours and the meadow has been replaced by the compost bin, which is already slightly rusty from the inside. The scent of the fresh green cannot spread by itself. It is forced to peel slowly upwards at the rusty inner walls of the compost bin and has to accept that a brown basic tone mixes with it. Only a few more hours will pass before the green has to give way to a straw-flowery basic mood.

It is difficult to smell individual scents from French Lover, only vétiver and pepper, I can consciously perceive. Vétiver is the source of the green earthy note, which is slightly scratched by pepper. Citric or flowery additions are completely avoided. French Lover does not rely on the successive appearance of different scents; the speciality lies in the change of its character, from green to scratchy to harsh. If I should name a plant that is representative for French Lover, I would choose a thistle. Of course you don't have to find it beautiful, but you should take the time to have a closer look at it.

French Lover is a gruff fragrance, not a stalker who wants to draw attention to himself in a loud voice to provoke. He has personality, knows his rough edges, but makes no signs to soften or even hide them; and he claims them for hours
This scent by Fréderic Malle does not want to be a mass scent. The fragrance was deliberately avoided to create a unique composition with personality, which polarizes, does not allow "so la la" and forces the perfume to make a clear statement, which can only lead to a yes or no.
Flammingo
Je m'appelle Marcel, et avec ce parfum je suis l'amant français.
It took a long time until I had something to say about my current signature. There isn't really much to write, because the French lover isn't complicated at all. It starts off herb-pungent, natural, cool and green. Very extraordinary. He then becomes more wooded and discreet incense joins it. I like that this bitter Angelica-Galbanum mix always remains in the foreground. After a few hours only the sexy, dirty, spicy patchouli incense, which we already know from Armani's Profumo, is still perceptible. Anyway, Profumo has copied the basis here, because the scents are no longer distinguishable towards the end.
The fragrance is very distinctive and masculine at all levels. Something you don't smell on men every day. I honestly can't imagine him in ladies either. I don't see it as an office or sports fragrance because it's too special for that. But for shopping, leaving, dating, day or night, this is one of the best fragrances I've ever found.
Sillage and shelf life could be better, as so often with green fragrances. But this is a scent you can't take too much from. It simply smells pleasant and is pleasing, but still different.
THE SPECIAL ONE
I never noticed the brand before and it was only by chance that I passed one of these "noble department stores" at a Frederic Malle Sales Desk. And since the lady in charge approached me there and I had just a few minutes, I gave her a rough description of what I might be looking for (elegant office fragrance with perceptible sillage but without big airs and graces). Without hesitation (and that speaks in such a case for the quality of the personnel (because good personnel is notoriously hard to find)) the lady reached for the French Lover flacon (the name irritated me colossally, that should be an office fragrance?), sprayed three times into the air, pulled a paper handkerchief through the resulting fragrance mist and handed it to me then. Impressed by the way of presenting a fragrance, I led the white paper to my nose and took a breath.

First impulse: what a stupid name. I was expecting something completely different. An aggressive, macho, dirty, challenging thing. So much for the power of words and their influence.

Second impulse: special. Interesting. First the nose is neutralized on the coffee bean glass and then smelled again. Still special. The fragrance pyramid quotes Florentine iris, ok, fair enough, I am not such an expert to identify them. Rather a hint of galbanum, which is normally found in base notes. Certainly a reason for the special top note. I also hear Vetiver, who is always present, but never loud, simply accompanying the whole ensemble. And the longer this fragrance develops, the more patchouli comes to the fore. The combination of Vetiver and Patchouli gives this fragrance a green and slightly bitter note, very special and so from me yet with no other perfume so smelled.

Third impulse: Want to have. Bagged and ready. To give a recommendation, when and for whom this smell fits now, falls to me super heavily, because I cannot make a clear statement despite his extra class. I definitely see the scent in men rather than women. I can't wear the scent myself every day either, because sometimes (depending on the mood) it seems a little melancholic and melancholic due to its green character. But FL is undoubtedly a fragrance of great class, so Sillange and durability are also high on the list. Finely tuned and great craftsmanship. And fully satisfying my original parameters (discreet office fragrance).

Just the name, gentlemen, I don't want to know which advertising agency has paid for it and probably not too tight. A complete mistake for me, but paper is patient as you know....

French Lover / Bois d'Orage
Opens with an fresh and aromatic blend of angelica, spices and galbanum. I see a perfect olfactory simulation of dark forests and open fields, of grass, herbs, leaves and damp soil. The crisp greenness of the galbanum dominates the whole fragrance until the very end, but it is enhanced and modified as the other notes emerge or disappear. Iris and angelica for example soften its sharp edges, whereas bay rum and clove add sweetness and fullness to it. When cedar, vetiver and frankincense emerge the scent's character change from a luminous (plant-like) green to a slightly darker earth-and-woods accord. The dry-down is characterized by a gauzy oakmoss, woods and musk blend.
Bois d'Orage/French Lover is quite a unique fragrance, since it evokes many different, conflicting impressions at the same time: rustic but sophisticated, austere but luminous, mysterious but easygoing. Although the opening may be bracing, the fragrance calms down quickly and becomes this enchanting woodsy-aromatic skin scent that is suitable for all occasions and accessible to anyone. Its crisp dryness make it especially pleasant for warmer days, and since it is very sheer it will never be annoying.

Grows On You...
Bois d'Orage (French Lover outside the US) starts off quite vegetal. Those green vegetal notes hang around for more than a bit before the scent grows gradually into its natural smelling cedar heart with accents of musky angelica and incense to compliment the primary cedar heart note. The cedar hangs around through the rest of scent's development, combining with a prominent vetiver note on the dry-down.

It was not "love at first sniff" for me on this one, but it has grown rapidly on me quite a bit and I now would say it is one of my favorites from the Malle line. It is unisex, with a slight masculine tilt, and has average projection with superb longevity. Maybe not a mandatory addition to one's collection at its relatively lofty price tag, but definitely worth considering and quite pleasant smelling on the whole, IMO. 3.5 stars out of 5 and recommended.

StarscreamStarscream 9 months ago
Similarity to Monocle Laurel is only in the opening
HermeshHermesh 5 years ago
Everything revolves around the grassy-woody heart with strong angelika note. Intelligent, clever and animalic in the sense "wild"&NaturalNatural.

by Flanker
by Flanker
Spät in der Nacht ist er unterwegs...und zeichnet...
by Rivegauche
Seit 2007, erfolgreich von Anfang an...im Wandel der Zeit ;-)
by Rivegauche
by Merlina
by Merlina
by Pmr
by Pmr
After a while since I bought it, I think it's home is a little bluff
by Carlossp
by SpiroErgoSum
by SpiroErgoSum

Popular Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle

Portrait of a Lady by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle The Moon by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Monsieur. by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Une Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Dries Van Noten par Frédéric Malle by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Le Parfum de Thérèse by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Eau de Magnolia by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Geranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Angéliques sous la Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Rose & Cuir by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle