Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle
Where to buy?
Lipstick Rose is a popular perfume by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle for women and was released in 2000. The scent is flowery-powdery. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Ralf Schwieger

Amber, Musk, Rose, Vanilla, Violet, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 05.03.2017

Bottle 5.0/10
Sillage 7.5/10
Longevity 7.5/10
Scent 10.0/10
2 Awards
The work of a true master
It smells exactly like the classic "vintage" lipsticks. EXACTLY.

I get no violet at all. Just a very waxy rose. After it warms up I get more vanilla and amber, giving the waxy rose a bit of a creamy base. There is also a hint of generic "floral" in there. It has moderate sillage and pretty good longevity.

It's a really amazing work of art. I'm absolutely blown away at how well the artist captured that "vintage" lipstick scent. I just don't know if I want to go around smelling like a cosmetic I rarely wear. I can't argue though that it gets five stars for pure artistry. This man is a master of his art.

May
2014
Very helpful Review    6 Awards
War of the Malle Roses 2
In a side by side test (on three members of my staff and my mother, all women teehee) Lipstick Rose beat Une Rose 4 to 0 :o). If I had to choose between them, Lipstick Rose would be the unfortunate loser.

'Violet pastilles', said one of my willing guinea pigs immediately. I concur ... the opening here smells strongly of violet with the vanilla adding a hefty punch of sweetness straight behind. Rather a culinary affair :o) ... i find it too sweet on my skin. The rose here is voluptuous and highly glamorous! Now, I like a jammy rose along with the best of them, but unfortunately Lipstick Rose feels like it was dumped in a vat of saccharine ... the sweet little pastry made a touch nauseating by the hefty snowfall of powdered sugar on top!
I can't say that I don't like it ... because I do! I would love to smell this on the women in my life (apparently so would they) ... but I do find myself leaning toward deeper and darker roses personally ... something a little less 'marshmallow-y'.

This one is undoubtedly a strong feminine, whereas I find Une Rose to be wonderfully unisex.
Bottle 7.5/10
Sillage 7.5/10
Longevity 7.5/10
Scent 8.0/10
Very helpful Review    6 Awards
Much More Than Lipstick
Although judging from the smell of the sprayer, it might seems as though Frédéric Malle LIPSTICK ROSE is nothing more than a lipstick scent facsimile, it is really much more complex on the skin.

The rose is deep and creamy and slightly sweet with mingling violets and vanilla. Not too sweet though, and there is a decided waxiness to the overall composition which even becomes slightly sharp and crayon-y now and then, in undulating wafts.

The drydown becomes somewhat more sweet and a bit less waxy, but from start to finish this is a very feminine, lovely rose perfume! The sillage is medium and the longevity good--feels like a real edp.

LIPSTICK ROSE is far more glamourous and inviting than the dowager rose soliflores. Perfect for those who hate dry, green, uptight tea rose perfumes but still want to smell like a rose. To me, this creation seems very seductive.
Longevity 10.0/10
Scent 7.0/10
Helpful Review    8 Awards
A bright red umbrella on a grey and rainy day...
Yes, lipstick rose smells like a high end lipstick, but also like instant mood lifter, a clowns nose, the ruby red shoes you dream of, the red simple drawn heart you get from your five year old on valentines day and the feeling that anything goes... Wear it in the cold november rain and tell me it doesnt makes yoou at least a little happier, braver and even crazier... Your socks dont match, your hair is a mess, but you wear Lipstick Rose like a crazy red umbrella...

Roses so red they are fading to blue, amped up violets, creamy creamy creamy lushness and you are ready for some spansih flamenco in the middle of the street. Yeah! Not for everyday use though, overdose might causing Lipstick Rose to wear you instead of the other way around, only use when you are in the right mood. Forget about your hairbrush for a day baby!

Briarthorn 17 months ago
Amazing how it perfectly copies the waxy, soft floral bouquet of vintage lipsticks. It brings back memories of my grandmother's vanity table.+1
Bottle 5.0