Monsieur. by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle
Monsieur. is a popular perfume by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle for men and was released in 2016. The scent is earthy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies. Pronunciation

Bruno Jovanovic

Patchouli, Tangerine, Rum absolute, Vanilla, Musk, Cedar, Frankincense, Amber, Suede

Submitted by WiB, last update on 09.04.2021.

The fragance should contain an unusually high concentration of patchouli (50%).

Salva
"PATCH! He's gotta move in..."
Usually I keep myself actually
rather in the designer segment, but there are some niche houses, where I also find. As there would be bspw. Creed and now - for a short time - also Frédéric Malle.

The Malle fragrances tested so far by me liked me namely all good to very good. And with this Monsieur. I have recently discovered one, in which I fell in love in fact immediately shock.

Frédéric Malle, a French author and businessman, founded
at the turn of the millennium 'Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle'. In the same year, they already brought nine(!) Fragrances on the market, including 'Musc Ravageur', until today probably one of the most popular perfumes from the house.

He (Malle) himself sees his company as a kind of publisher, where the perfumers can develop freely and without any restrictions - that is, with all creative freedom - to pursue their creations.
The concept is that the fragrances are distributed under the name of the respective perfumer. World-renowned people such as J. C. Ellena, Dominique Ropion, or Pierre Bourdon, to name just a few, already worked for this company.

Behind the creation of this Monsieur's. however, is Bruno Jovanovic, a perfumer of the
IFF (International Flavors&Fragrances Inc.), a company based in New York and one of the world's largest manufacturers of fragrances and flavors.

In the industry, Jovanovic is considered an intellectual proponent of Kant's theory that "beautiful is that which is universally pleasing without a term" and is said to have decided as a child in a department store that he would one day enter the world of perfumery.

And I personally am very happy that he has taken this path. Because probably otherwise I would never have known this fantastic fragrance...
[...]

In a very interesting interview for Noseparis, a BeautyConcept store based in the French capital, Jovanovic called patchouli his favorite note ever (source:

This fragrance here is said to contain just an unusually high concentration (50%) of that ingredient. And I think if I secretly consider the 'Givenchy Gentleman Original EdT 1974' as my signature scent (even if I don't list it as such here), it's no coincidence if I also say that patchouli is probably my favorite note among all.
And this Monsieur. is indeed a real patchouli bomb, but only at the beginning...

He starts namely very intense and patchouliastig; who does not like this note, it will be difficult to like the fragrance. I claim that now simply times. But what I find so impressive about this is its noble, unique and multi-faceted development.

As I mentioned earlier, it opens with a full blast of tart, woody, dark and very earthy top notes that remind me of my "signature" mentioned earlier. However, I feel them at this Monsieur. even a tad more intense, which I find but incredibly attractive. Especially since it is equipped here also with a very fine perceptible tangerine note, which gives it a fresh touch, but this evaporates already after a few minutes.

But what happens afterwards so in the further course, is simply brilliant, I think. After about 1-2h this initial patch hammer retreats, becomes softer and mixes with a rum note that is clearly perceptible to me, but still surrounded by various woody and slightly spicy notes. The fragrance evolves (for my nose) consequently to a woody-spicy piney cedar smell, which just pulls a rum accord with it.

Towards the base, the woody-spicy nuances so slowly but surely more and more leave the stage and it joins the rum note a pleasantly sensual and unobtrusive mix of vanilla amber. These form the soft-sensual finish, in which one can only - if at all - very minimal woody undertones catch.
[...]

On my skin, it has a very good durability with about 7-8h. In the first 2h I perceive him on myself clearly, before he then withdraws somewhat and for the rest of the time
is still close to smell.

Except in summer I think you can wear it at any time of year. But I would personally recommend a little less sprays, because he can be just at the beginning possibly too strong (in my case it would be here 3-4, otherwise I belong namely rather to the so-called. Vielsprühern).
[...]
Conclusion:

I would call Monsieur. a neo-classic, which creates it mMn in a very sophisticated way, classic ingredients (in this case just patchouli) with "modern" ingredients aufpeppen.
For all patchouli lovers I can recommend it without hesitation, it will make your heart beat faster.

Even though Jovanovic has already produced a fragrance for F. Malle in cooperation with the Belgian fashion designer Dries van Noten, Monsieur. is considered to be his very first creation.
The naming, by the way, stems from the fact that Jovanovic was/is always just called "Monsieur" by Malle (so uncomplicated it can be sometimes).

My thanks go to JonasP1, who has made it possible for me through his sample to discover this fascinating hammer fragrance and he thereby got on my WL.

With me it's made immediately "patch" and I was immediately after the first test clear: "The must move in..."
Thanks for reading!
Mr. Point
I ordered a sample of the fragrance online along with several others.
Even before I had removed the cap of the 3ml atomizer, a strong smoky and penetrating by my standards smell poked me in the nose.

Then I realized directly what the point behind Monsieur means. ^^ Curious I sprayed it on me (1 spray on the forearm). I had not smelled something like that before. It's hard to describe. To me, the opening smells very smoky, like a bonfire burning ancient books. After a while, leather comes in and the smoky note subtly diminishes. As for the other notes, nothing filters out for me. In the totality, however, it is a pleasant composition.

This probably doesn't sound like a pleasant fragrance at first, but for me it exudes a certain security and I just feel comfortable with this prafume. I also wore it the next day and then it was clear to me, a bottle had to get.

Quite clearly: No blind purchase candidate. The you must absolutely test before.

Conclusion: For me, a really special fragrance that is very unique in its kind. Personally, I can not imagine him in a woman, because he is very masculine.
Genesis666
What's wrong with my nose...?
Monsieur. was actually the first fragrance from FM that I tested. To my shame I must confess - so far also the only one. :-D

I have me the filling also not consciously procured, but had the luck to have got it as an addition to an order.
I had never heard of the fragrance before, so I didn't know what notes it was based on.
With completely unfounded, low expectations I have "so incidentally" times 2 sprays placed on the back of the hand.
"Whew - what is that? That smells like stale Sprite?" Smelled it again and with the words "Why should you wear something like that?" in connection with most likely quite expansive facial firmness went to the sink and washed off with LOTS of soap. After that, the sample flew to the back corner of my "collection box" for now.

A few days later, I didn't really know what scent to wear that day and decided to just wear the scent again, against all reality. This time not only on the back of the hand but as SOTD at work. "Let's see what the colleagues say about it."

Sprayed on... "Huh?" Looked at the vial. Not mistaken, it was Monsieur. .
What had happened? Why did I suddenly have this impossibly high-quality, medicinal (though still a bit stale) impossibly masculine scent in my nose. No more trace of face goulash. Directly 2 sprays after it. WOW!
I could not get enough of the opening. Really extremely medicinal, earthy but at the same time almost tingling in the nose, like the smell that comes to your nose when you open a bottle of fresh mineral water, mind you from the glass and not the plastic bottle. Yes, I think it makes a difference! :D

But now I had to take a look directly at the notes. Patchouli? How can that be patchouli? In such concentrated and almost isolated form I had never smelled the herb. Wouldn't have identified it as such without the info either. So far I've only ever known it as a rather chocolaty, only slightly earthy note. But this is different. In the positive! All at once?!

I can not explain it to me but I wore him 2 days and HAD to get me directly a full bottle, so good I found Him suddenly.

He reminds me somehow of a forest walk. A forest somewhere in the mountains, foggy, damp and vllt. even a bit creepy. At the beginning of the drydown, after the somewhat sharp, medicinal has subsided a little, I smell the cedar, the incense but still a fat package patchouli. But so perfectly harmonious that you really have to concentrate to find the individual nuances. Rum and tangerine I perceive only very, very slightly. In general, the fragrance is for me about as fruity as a bag of cement.

At the end of the drydown then come an incredibly authentic, masculine but still gentle leather in combination with musk. In between, you get an additional light touch of paper or old books in the nose, reminiscent of a stylish university library such as the "Bodleian Library". Like I've been there before...pff. But at least I imagine that's what it smells like there. :D

Durability and sillage I would describe as "good" but not "outstanding". Numbers that means about 6-7 hours on my skin.

Do you get compliments for this fragrance? I myself so far less. But what is more important to me personally than compliments; He provides for conversation! Meaning - You are often addressed to the fragrance because he just absolutely polarizes. And by now I'm convinced that in the world of niche fragrances, that's exactly what it's all about. To polarize and to stand out. I guess with Monsieur. there are exactly two camps. The ones that love it and the ones that hate it. In between, there are only wooded mountains... foggy... damp... and maybe even a little scary.

Theo1995
Three stages of Monsieur.
I smelled Monsieur. for the first time back in 2015: I was 20 years old back then. I needed 2 seconds to adore this scent and it is my signature scent. I have 6 years wearing it, and I will tell you all I know and feel about it.

My experience with Monsieur. (M.) has not changed and I doubt it ever will. First, I disagree with many arguing that M. is best for winter. Many people go to work in early mornings, when the air is at its high freshness (regardless of the season) and this is the best moment for M. to explode. The same holds for evenings. M. is cold bitter patchouli fragrance, which would not irritate your skin in summer/spring. It is true that it is not the easiest patchouli to wear, but trust me, this breaks down when you wear it with confidence. No need for a tuxedo to wear M., although it suits it perfectly. A chic outfit is enough. Yes, it is masculine, but why manly? There are three stages of M.

1. A confident man planning to go to a cocktail party, puts his watch on, wears M. and leaves. Upon arrival, he stops by the bar and orders a Dark and Stormy cocktail, with plenty of rum. He draws attention by the elegant choice of his drink and the rum absolute of M.

2. Then he moves along a narrow aisle, on his way to meet his friends. That aisle now smells dark, earthy, seductive, but not vulgar. Feels like HE is the Patchouli Coeur, dressed by suede, flattered by amber, hugged by incense. What a blast! As He walks along that aisle, it smells like those corridors of conference sections in grand hotels where presenters in suits and bottled by patchouli have a small talk in-between sessions. Then he stops as he sees his friends...

3. No one dares to ask him what he is wearing, cuz that scent, now stable, feels like his own scent, the scent of a Monsieur, well-mannered, maybe with reckless thoughts. This is the moment when M. becomes deeper and deeper, woody from cedar and he gently asks the demoiselle of his choice for a dance.

There is not much to say about the dry-down of M.. Most patchouli perfumes have a musky-vanillic base. There is not much to say because it really should not matter. The cold earthiness (not metallic like P. Indonesiano) of M. stays with you forever.

It's fine if this is too personal, but it may help view Monsieur. from a different angle.

Razvanyke
Did anyone from Frederic Malle actually smelled this before the release?
I am a big fan of the house FM EDP and I had Musc Ravageur, French Lover and currently own Promise which is one my favourites.
In my quest to discover their fragrances, I ordered a sample of Monsieur to see what did Bruno Jovanovic here ... what a mistake.

In my childhood, my grandparents used to have these hardcore anti moth solid sticks to put in the drawers, they would kill anything on a radius of 2 m, not moths only = exactly the same smells Monsieur. Based on the notes from the description I expected a beautiful fragrance with character but I am so dissapointed.

I do not know even whom to blame for this flop .. the perfumer should be creative and come up with good stuff, the editor should also be bold .. but this is the wrong type of creativity, it is like the design of the new BMWs - they live up from the love for the brand but the horrible grills are a thorn in the eye.

I am not even sure if this belongs in the Frederic Malle lineup .. it is just horrible and I am really curious to see if someone actually likes to smell like anti moth sticks from communist times.
Oops!
Yes, "Monsieur." is not stingy with patchouli. Unlike "Lui", where I found it very pleasant, here the patchouli note is too dominant for my taste. I still notice hints of tangerine, vanilla and rum. But that is too much of a good thing.

Later, the patchouli then takes back, and the suede and the incense come out. From the cedar or an animalic musk is for me, however, nothing to feel.

In short: It makes "Patsch(ouli)!". And quite violently. Personally, too violent for me. Less would have been more in this case.
No giggling here...
Monsieur.

A perfume that reflects for me pure seriousness.
This patchouli fragrance is not for flower children of the 1968 generation. He has nothing playful or even hippie-like in itself.
Wearers of Monsieur. have outgrown the children's shoes and have already accumulated quite a bit of life experience.
Here is not giggled and laughed, this is not a perfume for a nice evening in between. Certainly not a party firecracker.

Monsieur. is a statement for certain days.
Possibly for lonely days, on which you get to know the world, maybe just yourself a little better.
This fragrance seduces us to think, if we are a little lucky, it also gives us some wisdom.

Conclusion:
very dry, somewhat green, serious, adult, possibly also a little melancholic patchouli fragrance.
And yet, or just because of it, beautiful.
Not for all days, but when he fits, then spot on.

Matching song:
Tindersticks, "A Night In"

Insa
The gentleman with a soft spot for patchouli
This gentleman is a patchouli lover.
Plus tangerine, which is tangerine.
That's fine. But something bothers me What am I smelling?
Suede! My archenemy :(
Luckily, only very gently dosed.
And also not all the way through.

The rum bottle is probably still closed...
And when I think of vanilla, I can't think of that scent I've seen some of these guys smell vanilla. But maybe I'm too spoiled when it comes to vanilla :D
Likes that scent
Frankincense is probably also included ?
I'm thinking more of Mitzah and not of this Monsieur
Conclusion?
Is for men like the name already suggests.
But of course that does not stop me from testing and collecting.
Find that even more unisex than Promise.
Monsieur is not so tough in comparison Although it does come across as woody and spicy.
Expectations vs Reality
Enchanted by the many positive comments I made my way to the Frederic Malle Duftbar in Oberpollinger. And there, as one would expect from such a luxury temple, they do everything they can to bring the scents to the man or woman (and consequently the credit card to glow).

Monsieur. . . Note the point that seems to be so important that the nice lady behind the desk even put it on the test strip. But my high expectations were immediately disappointed. And admittedly left me a little perplexed. Shouldn't I be able to trust my nose anymore? First impulse: the smell of a ball as you know it from these chewing gum turning machines. Probably this highly concentrated Patchouli, which somehow obscures the start. Now I know from other Malle perfumes that it sometimes takes some time to make a serious statement here. What the sales lady, who apparently noticed my disgusted expression on her face, immediately explained to me, by the way: "You like to spend another hour in our house (and shop around for your annual salary - author's note), give the fragrance time to develop".

In consideration of my wallet, I left the house. And then to sniff at regular intervals. In fact, the initial "sharpness", which I find personally irritating, diminishes and the fragrance becomes more accessible to me. Nevertheless, this chewing gum-like initial experience remains with me. Hours later the fragrance becomes even finer, wood and leather can be recognized and yes, I also perceive an animal note. For guys, nothing for girls, that much is clear. Patchouli remains in the foreground until the end. Sillage: however, and not too little. Assertive and attention-grabbing.

It's hard for me to sort this fragrance as fairly as possible, it's multi-layered, somehow uncompromising in its way (which I usually appreciate), but somehow I can't get pregnant with it directly. The sharpness of the top note repelled me too much. Patchouli lovers and fans will love him.

Monsieur. I don't advise blind buying. I'll give him a second chance myself, though - someday. And then open the drawer into which I am currently sorting him again and possibly put him a little further up

Pietros921
Good, another frederic malle but nothing special
Well... this is a very earthy, mature, smoky , leathery patchouly, very solid and long lasting but it has that mature smell and the mandarine only makes this one smells more like a grandpa. Masterpiece ? No..but another Frederic Malle DNA composition ..with one note took to the extreme

FelliniFellini 1 year ago
Designed for men, but I will wear it sometimes. Dry wood, patchouli, a little bit barbershop on start.
TruckladyTrucklady 2 years ago
Hipster patchouli with flannelette shirt and mandatory beard; well trimmed, of course. Slightly rougher Psychedelique by Jovoy.
SmellGoodGuySmellGoodGuy 2 years ago
Powerful! At some point I need this in my collection. An excellent night out fragrance, can’t go wrong.
HermeshHermesh 3 years ago
Earthy versatile patchouli, sometimes even pleasantly airy and a bit fresh. A downer: freshness brings also sourly notes.
Syzygy73Syzygy73 4 years ago
Dark, earthy patchouli with a smoky vanilla base. Classy and subtly threatening, the kind of fragrance Hannibal Lecter might have worn.
Q8baggioQ8baggio 4 years ago
thick patchouli scent..masculine Excellent for winter .

by Kovex
by Ch053n0n3
by Hatka
by Hatka

Popular Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Portrait of a Lady by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle The Moon by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Une Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Dries Van Noten par Frédéric Malle by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Le Parfum de Thérèse by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle The Night by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Geranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Angéliques sous la Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Rose & Cuir by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle