Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle
Musc Ravageur is a popular perfume by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle for women and men and was released in 2000. The scent is spicy-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Baccarat Rouge 540 (Eau de Parfum)

Maurice Roucel

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot Mandarin orangeMandarin orange LavenderLavender CinnamonCinnamon
Heart Notes Heart NotesAmberAmber VanillaVanilla MuskMusk
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwoodSandalwood MuskMusk PatchouliPatchouli

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 14.05.2022.

MisskMissk 10 years ago
You tend to hear a lot about this fragrance on the niche forums. Many people say it's sexy, raunchy, hot, sensual... you get the gist....
AwesomenessAwesomeness 10 years ago
Wow. Musc Rave is a purring kitty ... animalistic, somewhat dirty musk. I'm all-in for a good perfume skank-fest once & awhile, but even Musc Rave...

musc...really?
I mean, boh ... "Musc" Ravageur? but really? I don't know what kind of musky perfumes have smelled those who consider this perfume "musky" or "animal", but what I can say is that it has nothing of musk or animal, indeed. It's a cinnamon-vanilla-synth-sandalwood and spice accord, that's all. Mind you, it's not bad at all, it's very pleasant to wear and I find it suitable for these cold days, but the name sounds too pretentious to me and doesn't fit the fragrance. Also, like most Malle, I find it really too light and whispered, of mediocre duration and in general too evanescent. Nice perfume, but yet another fragrance that smacks of a missed masterpiece because it should be more decisive, more dense, incisive, full-bodied and impactful; in short, as much as I liked it, as it is, it tastes like watered down.

Grizzlyscent
A Symphony of Sensuality.
"A sensual perfume, powerful yet perfectly controlled, dramatic and mysterious. Composed by Maurice Roucel as an “act of seduction and generosity”, Musc Ravageur is an uncompromising Oriental, which trumps current fads. Its explosive departure of bergamot, tangerine and cinnamon is set against a backdrop of vanilla, musk and amber. A sexy, turbulent perfume, in one word: ravageur."

I can't tell you how much I enjoy reading the superfluous, often false marketing that perfumers and brands come up with to describe their fragrances. Partly because I too, am afflicted with the same disease of verbose nonsense, and in part because they're often wildly off base, and a less evolved part of my being enjoys laughing at them in secret. However this time, it is all too accurate. Abstractly, perhaps. But accurate nonetheless.

Musc Ravageur is an incredibly difficult fragrance to describe. It is deceptive, and takes great pleasure in tormenting me, and every time I think I've got a grasp on it, something throws me for a loop. Is it frustrating? Hardly. No, the experience is very much enjoyable, like trying to catch a glimpse of something mythical and fleeting.

Musc Ravageur is incredibly simple, yet infinitely complex, and it is within the nuances and depth, that Musc Ravageur truly shines and displays itself as it is. And it needs a great deal of observation to truly appreciate it in it's entirety. One needs to smell and smell again (hardly a difficult task) to find the bite of cinnamon, the heat of cloves and the deliciously edible vanilla, but the impression, by and large, communicates a delicate mirage of soft skin, silken sheets, cashmere blankets, hushed whispers, and low lighting. It is sensual almost to the point of debauchery. It is warm, inviting, criminally seductive, almost like (and please pardon my bluntness) an erotic novel unfolding on the skin. Truth be told, if Casanova had a fragrance, this would be it.

Onto the fragrance itself, in slightly more detail, before my train of thought drags me further off track.

The fragrance opens with a blast of citrus and spice, in the strangest manner. It can't be described as fresh, it can't be described as spicy. The opening is fleeting, but it sets the tone for this (admittedly bottom heavy) fragrance in the perfect way. It is difficult, if not impossible, to explain how this is the case, but it is. They come, they tease, and then they disappear, giving way very quickly to the cinnamon and clove in a beautiful symphony of warmth. And just as the spices truly begin to bloom, they're joined by musks, vanilla, woods and amber.

And here, in the "base" is where Musc Ravageur truly becomes the legend it is known far and wide as. Every note mingling in perfect harmony, becoming something that transcends "just perfumery" and becomes art in earnest. The spices, the deep amber, the sweet vanilla, the warm musk, makes for a blend that defies all description.

The vanilla is sweet, almost like ice cream, and would perhaps be too much by itself. But the dark, almost bitter woods balance it, lending a bite to the base, even as the amber adds depth and gives the impression of a golden twilight on supple skin. And supple skin is truly what shines through as the light dusting of musk makes it's way through the blend, trickling through, almost ghostly in it's prominence. And the musk itself, while hardly animalic, is far from neutral, just raw enough to pay homage to it's name.

The dark, velvety cloak of seduction that one dons when they wear Musc Ravageur is truly dangerous, to others, and to the self. It smells unapologetically of carnality, and unmistakably of sophistication, and in doing so toes many lines, between prim and debauche, between soft and loud, between innocence and sin, and between mortal and the divine.

There is nothing quite like this, to my nose. And I seldom wear it, not for lack of want, but for fear of being enslaved by it's soft whispers. I have rarely, if ever, called a fragrance flawless. But to me, Musc Ravageur is just that. True perfection.
Supersegi
Baby powder to bite into
Musc Ravageur is a really weird mix of baby powder that smells delicious to me.

So full-bodied you really want to try it, but somehow as a perfume too much like "vanilla kisses", the girl-deo from 7th grade gym class in the 90s.

Gourmand and dense vanilla don't really go for me, but this one theoretically does. Practically, I was asked why I smelled like baby oil.

Has certainly its lovers. On me but not
Animal
Have bought the perfume only recently. Am eig satisfied. BUT unfortunately richt, it on my skin, very animalistic (until 1h after application). This I do not like sooo well. However, after the first hour comes a very pleasant vanilla note. This holds itself damn long and richt really very good!!! Therefore, the perfume is, for me, solid! Whether it is worth the price, everyone must decide for themselves. Personally I don't know if I will keep it.... If it were cheaper, it would be a resounding YES. It will probably leave my collection at some point...

Musc Ravageur

The moment,
now.
5.5
Dirty cinnamon dream ?
This is the fragrance that actually makes me despair.

On the one hand, a truly wintry-sweet cinnamon vanilla dream, with fine spicy nuances.

On the other hand, a dirty musk-patchouli scent, which reminds me partly of a horse saddle.

This fragrance is so penetrating and at the same time so greadlinig, as I have rarely perceived it in a fragrance.
Also the reactions resemble a roller coaster, I have yet from "wonderful" to "disgusting" almost everything possible as a response received...

Nichtdestotrotz is this fragrance what very special, which I do not want to miss.

As a suitable carrier I imagine a guy who implements his ideas and desires brachial.

Perfumes as a hug
A very unique creation which still holds the ultimate bench markt for musc bases fragrances.

Its warm, embracing and alluring. This is touted as the ulimate sexy warm musk and I cant deny that statement. This is a warm cashmere blanket in front of a fire whilst drinking spiced chai. Wood and sweetness. Pure heaven - a hug in a bottle.
My second skin
After a long time I decided to write a comment once again.
Finally, this fragrance contributes to me to take the time to describe the fragrance and bring you closer. Please take into account that I describe the fragrance from my point of view and as everyone knows not everyone takes a fragrance was the same.
For me, this fragrance is not as masculine as some say and it also does not describe the pure masculinity. Musk is long not only a "men's DNA" which is why I find the woman and man can wear this fragrance very well
The fragrance begins with a whole load of musk and drifts into a vanilla / cinnamon DNA where the musk in the undertone is always perceptible. The scent remains constant and you can look forward to hours of this feel-good cuddly scent. Vanilla / cinnamon should not lead you astray but here the two components are very subtle and not slaying. Find this blend very pleasant and very wearable. I have not tried many musk fragrances and can probably count them on one hand but the Musc Ravageur is for me quite clearly at number 1 then comes long nothing and then comes the original Musc.
The sillage is very restrained maybe it gives the fragrance that certain magic and mystery, whereas I love it when my fragrance blows everyone away. It sounds a little selfish but I wear these fragrances for me and still want to perceive my scent even if the last neurons in my nose have given up. ?
The durability is good. In the morning on Tshirt spray and evening still skin close perceive. Where even this may be quiet a little stronger but this is a matter of taste.

I regret it now only 40ml to own, should have bought in the Sharing but rather 60ml at least. Should it come again to a good offer for the 100ml I will immediately strike and keep my restflakon nevertheless.

Is it a signature fragrance?
I honestly don't have one even if I did put one down. I'm playing with scents and don't want to commit to one.

But Musc Ravageur would be the candidate I would enter first as a signature scent in the meantime.
I hope I could explain the fragrance to you a bit even if I can not describe every single component in detail.
Thank you for reading dear Parfuma and Parfumo.

Ptsau
A masterpiece from Frederick Malle!
It is a masterpiece and very unique. I was only ok when I first smelled it on a paper but magic happened when I sprayed it on my skin. The 30mins opening was nice but when it dried down to the mid notes, it was intoxicating then I fell in love with it. It’s the one that I would always keep it in my collection. People said it’s better for winter because it’s so beastly but I wear it all seasons. Probably my skin chemistry tone down the fragrances a little. I don’t think it’s too loud. I actually don’t really define my perfumes by seasons (I wear the all day all seasons) except 1 or 2 that is really beastly even on my skin.
Wow wow wow on the 2 nose
When I tested Musc Ravageur for the first time I was not at all enthusiastic, I thought it was old-fashioned and looked more like a man in his mid 60s(sorry) then I gave it another 2 chances (for whatever reason) and Zack no idea why but now I am addicted to it and can't stop wearing Musc Ravageur, it is just wonderfully warm and spicy and gives me a wonderful feeling and brings me many compliments. So if you didn't like Musc Ravageur the first time, please give it another 2 chances and maybe you will feel like me

InbnkInbnk 4 months ago
Musky but somewhere in between animalic and delicious. Very complex and unique. The best one from FM alongwith POAL &Promise in my thought.
ModusModus 5 months ago
Complex, intriguing, intelectual, sensual, alluring, slightly animalic, slightly dirty vanilla. Probably my favourite from FM line.
NicSealNicSeal 11 months ago
Modern Classic. Musky, animalic, and smells of Christmas time. Oddly comforting & I appreciate it's uniqueness. Mildly daring too.
Blako11Blako11 12 months ago
Una compra a ciegas. Al principio no la entendí, despues comprendí la magia y dulzura que desprende esta fragrancia en tu piel.
MrLawmanMrLawman 1 year ago
A complete masterpiece. So warm, dense and seductive. Overload of clove and cinnamon which are laid down on a vanilla bed.
MariaSMariaS 1 year ago
On me it started as a male after shave lotion very citrusy, sweetened with time and ended up to an animalic patchouli scent. Didnt say wow!
EstbienlaEstbienla 1 year ago
Popular perfume for nothing.. very discreet, very medium odour. I had to strengthen it with its shower gel and again... nothing
HugoMontezHugoMontez 1 year ago
Great smelling fragrance. A classic already. Not a masterpiece but a good signature scent if you love vanilla and Musk. Pretty linear. 4/5
Finerthings8Finerthings8 1 year ago
It is bit scary at the beginning.it has animalic touch but thats created by spices.it dries down to dirty vanilla and patchouli.Good stuff
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 2 years ago
After a pronounced spicy-fresh opening, this slightly animalic, yet powdery-sweet Oriental fragrance settles to a warm resinous-woody base.

by Annabraucht
by Modus
by N4nom4n
by N4nom4n

Popular by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle

Portrait of a Lady by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle The Moon by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Monsieur. by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Rose Tonnerre / Une Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle The Night by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Dries Van Noten par Frédéric Malle by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Promise by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Le Parfum de Thérèse by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Eau de Magnolia by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Angéliques sous la Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle