Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle

Musc Ravageur is a popular perfume by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle for women and men and was released in 2000. The scent is spicy-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Maurice Roucel

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Mandarin, Lavender
Heart Notes Heart NotesAmber, Vanilla, Musk, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood, Musk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 21.06.2019

8.0 9.0 10.0 10.0/10

Profumo
Striptease of an olfactory drag queen - from vamp to guy
It's hard to believe that almost 20 years have passed since the launch of Musc Ravageur!
Luca Turin's verdict: '.... i shared 'more flashy than good' absolutely back then, and I remember feeling the scent as loud, bold and banal - a slightly too sweet musk-centered work in the mainstream vanilla garb.

What a mistake!

Basically, I wasn't that wrong, but I hadn't bothered to let MR work on me in peace.
MR wasn't flashy, I was. Once sniffed at it and - zap - made a judgement. MR is a scent which, like hardly any other, should be tested slowly and above all several times in order to be able to judge it appropriately.
MR is a true scent chameleon: one time you think you recognize an oriental scent dominated by musk and vanilla, while another time it turns out to be a classic fougère, with herbaceous lavender notes in the head and heart, and a powdery-animal base.
Interestingly enough, he is also perceived just as unevenly - and after almost 20 years many people have really spoken about him in the various forums!
From the ultra-feminine, sweet gourmand Oriental, completely unwearable for the male sex, to the testosterone-laden Mocho-Fougère, this time absolutely not recommended to the ladies. Very, very many sometimes absurdly contradicting judgments can be found among all these comments.
But many, and I belong to this group now, do not share these extreme positions. The scent is not one or the other, it is both.

With MR it's a bit like back then with 'Mary & Gordy': at the end of one of their shows they put off the fumble and the wigs to Frank Sinatra's 'My Way', pulled the fake eyelashes off their eyelids, wiped the make-up off their cheeks and stood in front of their audience at the last bars recognizable as what they actually were: as men. Of course everyone knew from the beginning that the two were travesty artists, but they were so perfect that one somehow forgot. But now, at the end of the show, it was still surprising that it was these guys who did all the fancy work.
A basenoter wrote about MR: '... a sexual dragqueen of frag.'

The scent is just like a striptease - from vamp to guy.
And just as all the glitter camouflages the male core, so initially a sweet-sour, slightly bitter tangerine-bergamot chord camouflages, in the wake of a warm blossoming clove and cinnamon-spicy vanilla sweetness in the heart, the actual aromatic-herbal lavender core on quite hearty animal base (although, it is not so hearty, but later on...).
A transformation from 'Shalimar' to 'Kouros', so to speak, where MR has neither the opulence of one fragrance nor the skingout of the other.
No, MR doesn't look so busty by a long shot, but he also shows off his guts with less legs apart, is slimmer, androgynous - and yet both fragrances are somehow godfathers.

The animal base at all! It is judged as differently as the whole fragrance: from unbearable and unacceptable, to addictive and extremely erotic.
For lovers of 'White-Musc'- and 'Clean-Musc'- scents, of clean scents at all, it might not be tolerable at all. But if you appreciate fragrances with a considerable proportion of civet and/or animalis (a perfume base of various animal secretions), don't faint at 'Kouros', find Dior's 'Leather Oud' wearable and also Bogue's fragrances, you won't have a problem with MR at all.
I find this animal side extremely stimulating (not to say: exciting!) and very sexy!

I can think of two more scents that I loosely associate with MR. One is Alyssa Ashley's 'Musk' from the 60s and the other is good ole 'Jicky'.
Musk' was a quite popular fragrance during my school days in the 70s, one of the many hippie musk scents of the time. Compared to MR, however, it is much more boring and above all harmless, not 'ravageur', i.e.: stunning, devastating, destructive.... Nothing like that is Alyssa Ashley's 'Musk', and yet MR reminds me of this scent every now and then, and makes me somehow nostalgic.

Jicky', on the other hand, is a similar scent chameleon - just as difficult to decipher, whether 'pour homme' or 'pour femme', whether Fougère or already somehow Orientale, but exactly this mask play, this vagueness, this elusiveness from the location, that's what I really appreciate about 'Jicky', but also about MR.
With 'Jicky' MR connects another parallel: both are slim scents, which build on a few chords - rather minimalistic scents with maximum effect Speaking of maximum effect: MR lasts on me incredibly long. I don't think I've ever experienced a scent like this before. Even 2 days later I can still feel it on my skin, and that - unlike Bogue's 'Mem' - is not unpleasant at all, quite the opposite. If 'Mem' is somehow penetrating and killing, MR remains steadfast to one's side, but just 'to one's side', without burying the carrier (olfactory).

Luca Turin's verdict I have to vary: '....not flashy, really good!'
Five stars

7.0 8.0 9.0 8.0/10

Bad to the Bone
Scentrack: Grace Jones- Libertango

A deadly beauty. In a dirty French way camouflaged Roucel's lavender. A lavender complementary surrounded by gluckwine clove, cinnamon and skanky musk. This musk is dirty, filled with animalic attraction. Vanilla is transparent, yet strong and almost edible. A sweet post coital cookie.
Only for winter, due its potency. Perfect for leaving your morning mark in girlfriend's linen.

Rating: 8/10
8.0 5.0 3.0 10.0/10

Pietros921
The old formula was abit daring the first 20 minutes...the new one is amazing BUT..
BUT... the performance both the old and the new suck on my skin. But I really really really am in love with the scent. Its a perfect ten I love this as much as I could love a woman , I found the love of my life BUT...it sucks in performance this is the biggest disappointment of my fragrance journey I am so so sad

GMK
Need some more years to understand the 'Art' hidden in it......
How curious I was to test this and how disappointed I am after sampling it , I can't say I hate it but One thing I can surely say that I can't stand it until it settles down to a fairly good drydown , but the opening is really very difficult to survive with especially in the hot and humid climate , may be it's because of the blending of CIVET; which is not every perfumer's thing, I love Civet in Kouros blended in honey by One of the greatest perfumer ever.

Synthetic notes of Amber and Cloves (eugenol) with a hint of Lavender makes it sticky sweet and cloying, suddenly Animalic notes of Civet kicks in, this is the stage where the problem starts, it has not been handled properly imho and it transforms into a play-doh like smell of something dated with a huge silage.

The musky / powdery drydown is probably one of the most lovely part of this complex creation but you have to wait for several hours to reach that stage and you must be in an ambiance with controlled temperature otherwise it stinks.
MR is a complex fragrance and worth a try at least.

Musc Ravageur
L de Lolita defined my fear of the gourmand genre. Thick scents of chocolate dessert are coupled with musks and ambers, both of which are known for their fixative properties. Amber 'fixes' the gourmand quality of L de Lolita the way concrete shoes 'set' in a mafia fable before you're thrown in the river.

Wearing L de Lolita could well be a Catholic-school lesson on the sin of gluttony and the threats of eternal hell. The anticipation draws you close, the titilation makes you give in, the satisfaction is the pleasure you've been denied. Then you continue to eat, unable to control yourself, long past the point of nausea and revulsion. Jaques Guerlain gave a seminar on the line between plenty and excess when he took Shalimar close to crème brulée, but then pulled back. The value of gourmand notes is in the suggestion or the temptation, not in the pudding. L de Lolita demonstrates the lesson by failing it and falling into the more-is-better trap.

So if L de Lolita (2006) is a sin against god, does Musc Ravageur (2000) have a more original sin?

I experienced Roucel's trio out of sequence. I first smelled Labdanum 18 (2006), then L de Lolita (2006) and finally Musc Ravageur (2000). I hadn't known that the same perfumer made all three, nor had I known that the two 2006 perfumes were derived from Musc Ravageur. Now I understand who's who, or better, who's the flanker.

Musc Ravageur is the template. The other two variations were made by turning up and down the volume of specific notes of the original. Labdanum 18 skips the aromatic topnotes but overdoses the sweet vanilla and powdery musk. Without the loud aromatic topnotes of Musc Ravageur, Labdanum18 feels listless by comparison, yet is famously le Labo's best seller. If Labdanum was made by subtraction, L de Lolita relies on the addition of chocolate and maple syrup to distinguish itself. The classic vanilla 'oriental' is given the chocolate-steroid treatment and the bergamot topnote of Musc Ravageur is twisted into a candied orange. Piling a maple syrup/imortelle/fenugreek note on top of the chocolate makes L de Lolita a Frankenstein-Gourmand and poster-child for the excesses of gourmand perfumery.

L de Lolita is so egregious that having smelled it a number of times seven years ago it tainted my experience of Musc Ravageur. This week I wore Musc Ravageur for the first time. I wore it three days in a row, haunted by the anticipation of recognition that wouldn't come. While distracted, the flashback to L de Lolita struck me in the gut and having made the connection, there's no turning back.

How might I have experienced Musc Ravageur if I hadn't first been affected by L de Lolita? We all arrive to a perfume with our bags packed, but the recycling of ideas across different lines without marketing the subsequent perfumes as flankers muddies the waters. Maybe I've been damaged by the Lolita perfume association and have made the jump to Nabokov's Lolita. With its effusive barbershop masculine reference and smarmy musky-amber sweetness Musc Ravageur reads like the perfume a stereotypical dirty old man would wear.

(Please don't take my 'kitchen sink' quibble with Musc Ravaguer as a blanket criticism. I'm all for excess in perfumery generally and in Roucel's work specifically. He's used it to great success in Guerlain Insolence, Hermès 24, Faubourg, Missoni by Missoni and Gucci Envy.)

from scenthurdle.com
7.5 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Awesomeness in the bottle
I love this perfume a lot. Musc Ravaguer has never been a let down for me.Very elegant for evening wear as well as party wear. The slight animalic note is just beyond any words to express that feeling.
Not a perfect date scent but yes you need to wait atleast 45 min before meeting you better half.
I find it similar to Meharees L'eaborio but then no one can beat the class what Frederric Malle offers.
Projects quite well on my skin with lasting of 8 hours generally.

Winnner overall
5.0 5.0 7.5 10.0/10

Shalimar 2000
I certainly like this one... very much. I've heard of it as a love/hate type of fragrance but I think that this one is pretty tame and sensual to me. Apparently this was inspired by Shalimar, and I completely see that.

What Musc Ravageur reminds me of, is the old style of perfume classics like Shalimar and Jicky, wonderful rich orientals with civet, labdanum, amber etc. I get cloves, cinnamon and lavender in the opening, with a hint of caramelised mandarin. Fantastic stuff... but the dry down is where this starts to feel really really good. Soft and sensual musk and amber all the way, with sandalwood, tonka bean and guaiac wood. This is absolutely a soft yet spicy oriental, which I love.

It is however all about the musk, and if you've ever smelt pure musk oil, the high quality stuff, you'll find it here. However I would say the fragrance is mostly dominated by the spices over the musk, but it is there nonetheless.

Overall, is it worth it? I think you could get some of the same feeling from vintage Shalimar extrait, or with high quality musk oil. Probably by mixing the two. But really, I have to admit... Maurice Roucel is a genius, because this is one I have really fallen in love with. Yes, I think you should test it out if you can. If you love it then it will be worth the price, because we don't find vintage Jicky or Shalimar everyday now, do we? Still, very well done by Roucel. Sensual stuff!
9.0/10

Wearing Musc Ravageur to bed
A blast of musc and then just as suddenly a complex harmonic dance of spices that almost becomes an Oriental. Then, unexpectedly the Lavender appears like a cool breeze and harmonizes with the woods to create and intimate skin scent. Wow!
10.0 10.0/10

Naughty and Nice
I have been wearing MUSC RAVAGEUR for 3 consecutive days since I bought it, which does not happen very often with the way my moods change. Musc Ravageur seems to be a complicated scent with beautiful facets that can certainly hold my interest.

Loaded with alluring spices, the clove, vanilla and tonka harmoniously complement each other. I will be among those who do not find the musk too animalic. What I get is a sensual and highly aromatic oriental scent ... warm, sultry and captivating to the senses. During the dry down I am infatuated with the touch of sweetness which stays tamed and subdued while the wood notes slowly permeated the ravishing blend. So bewitching!

To my nose it may be one of the most seductive fragrances out there which does not cross the line of crudeness. Undeniably a new favorite of mine.
8.0/10

Drseid
One Of The Two Or Three Best Musks On The Market...
Musc Ravageur is a very nice scent indeed. For the most part the scent pyramid posted on this review page is accurate based on my experience with it on skin. It opens with a blast of natural smelling lavender with just a hint of bergamot to balance it out. The heart notes emerge rather early, where a nice cinnamon and clove combo of about equal proportions mix with a very nice musk note that does not overpower or smell too "dirty". The dry-down consists with the musk dominating, supported by hints of vanilla, gaiac wood and remnants of the clove/cinnamon combo from the heart notes. Projection is about average and longevity is excellent.

As to my feelings about Musc Ravageur, I find it to be an extremely well-rounded musk scent that is much more wearable and versatile than most (if not all) of the others I have tried. Roucel has balanced the scent from start to finish near perfectly, and in its category this has to be considered the reference in my book. This, and Villoresi's Musk are my two favorite musks, but Musc Ravageur is more of a "true" musk scent, so it wins the tie-breaker (in a category that I don't care much for as a general rule). To musk scent lovers who can afford it, this is a must smell (and buy), to all others it is worth a try at least to experience what a master can do with musk. It is superb, earning 4 stars out of 5.
5.0 7.5 7.5 8.0/10

Feel free to ravage your lover wearing this...
You tend to hear a lot about this fragrance on the niche forums. Many people say it's sexy, raunchy, hot, sensual... you get the gist. So of course, like any hot-blooded woman would do, I made it my mission to scout out Musc Ravageur.

Before I begin, my favourite musk prior to smelling this fragrance was Kiehl's Original Musk, which is a rather 'dirty', animalistic and heavy unisex musk. Musc Ravageur on the otherhand is different. It's a lot sweeter, smoother and softer.

This is the kind of sexy musk you'd wear with baby pink, frilly lingerie and cute bows in your hair. It's innocent and naughty at the same time. Most of the time the scent is cuddly and vanillary.

Occasionally I get hints of sweet, aromatic lavender, which is strangely compelling on the skin. The cinnamon, vanilla and musk drive the composition, and with this fantastic blend, I can see where the 'gourmand musk' references come from.

The sillage is pleasingly intimate. I wore this fragrance out clubbing the other night and my man was the only that could smell me, which in itself was a beautiful moment for the both of us. It's a romantic fragrance for me, not necessarily raunchy or outrageously seductive. Just alluring.
7.5 10.0 10.0/10

ZeZe
Sensual foreplay. Worth it's weight in gold.
Musc Ravageur by Frédéric Malle..
I got my hands on a 10ml decant recently so I decided I would give this a few good wears before any review.
The opening took me by surprise, for the wrong reasons I will add. I would best describe the opening as a bottle of medicine alongside some baby powder.
Not the best start for the fragrance I had high expectations for.
The opening mellows after 5minutes or so & I didn't pick up on the musk note up until the 30minute mark, which I noticed by that stage it was developing into something warmth & soft, but nothing to suggest It would win me over.
60-90 minutes pass by & Musc Revageur has now developed into a gorgeous, soft, warm & irresistible musk scent which is flirting with my skin. I find it to be so sensual, yummy & irresistible which puts me in such a good mood, I feel like Casanova at this stage. The longer I wear this, the more complex the scent, so gorgeous without any over powering smell that would scare the opposite sex away.
The projection is good but the longetivity is fantastic(10hrs+ on me), I could smell the trail on my skin the following morning which just made me want to put more on.
Perfect unisex fragrance for people in there late 20's & up.
A soft, subtle, sensual warm scent that would set the perfect mood for a romantic evening. Give this a a good hour before it works its magic.
The verdict: 10/10

Sensual foreplay that's worth its price. My new favourite fragrance.
4.0/10

Blind buys NOT recommended
Wow. Musc Rave is a purring kitty ... animalistic, somewhat dirty musk.

I'm all-in for a good perfume skank-fest once & awhile, but even Musc Rave is a bit too much for me. I know there are other notes in this, but all I get is musk, a sweetish musk ... kitty musk, if you know what I mean.

Do I like fragrances that are a dirty?

Agent Provocateur, YES.
Boudoir, YES.
Tabu, YES.
Musc Rave, NO.

I have a small (5ml) decant, and let me tell you - that will last me 10 years. Try this before you buy this, even if you like musks.
10.0 10.0 4.0/10

Musk Deer Appear To Have Been Emasculated In The Production of This Perfume
I suppose that I was never a prime candidate for Frédéric Malle MUSC RAVAGEUR in the first place, not being a huge fan of musk, but I have to say that I found this an unpleasant wear. The opening packs a punch of harsh lavender, which may be harsh in part due to the clove? In any case, it was to my nose too abrupt and, well, harsh.

Then come the dozen dead musk deer. Okay, I know that the musks in this composition are synthetic, but I obviously have no difficulty detecting any of them. Are they "sexy" or inviting? No. They are really too much for me. The smooth, polite oriental spices and vanilla do little to improve the situation.

I am chuckling at those who describe this composition as similar to the smell of rice pudding. I do believe that you have just identified yourselves as musk anosmic, my fragrant friends!

To get through the afternoon without a scrub, I had to resort to a liberal application of L de Lolita Lempicka, also by Maurice Roucel, which offers much more vanilla and oriental and much less musk, and omits the lavender altogether, thank goodness!

Needless to say, I'll never in this lifetime be adding MUSC RAVAGEUR to my collection. I won't even be finishing my sample.

R0din 59 days ago
The first niche perfume i’ve ever smelled. Huge amount of cloves and cinnamon in the opening and a sweet vanilla drydown. I still love it!+1
Lillibet 16 months ago
I loved this from the first inhale. Powdery, a little spicy, comforting like your own skin but somehow so so much better.+3
9.0