Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle

Musc Ravageur is a popular perfume by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle for women and men and was released in 2000. The scent is spicy-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Maurice Roucel

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Mandarin, Lavender
Heart Notes Heart NotesAmber, Vanilla, Musk, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood, Musk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 02.06.2020.

Kittens
Funny how different scents are perceived. I've been wearing Musc Ravageur all morning and am still waiting for the animalistic, the dirty. What I've got is an elegant, warm vanilla-cinnamon-clove-ceder scent with a slightly citric top note, very pleasant, maybe more for the evening and for colder climates, but not necessarily. Absolutely unisex. A drier, slightly more masculine Shalimar minus incense plus lavender. Recommended for men who like Shalimar but don't dare because they think it's too feminine, for women I would suggest alternatively (a vintage) Shalimar. If you are looking for what is promised here for Musc Ravageur, the hypnotic musk smell of warm skin, you will find it in a very pleasant and also not overwhelming way in Roucel's Dans Des Bras. DAS is also not a stable, but very sexy
Over Achzehn
Sorry, it gets dirty. I can't help it. To all those who do not want to permanently damage their image of me as a sensitive fragrance poetess, which is only just being built: click this away! And to the remaining intrepid ones: Look over your shoulder, who else might be reading along. Send your children to play. And accept my sincere apologies, because I really can't help it This is entirely the fault of Maurice Roucel, who, without warning and without a leaflet, throws a fragrance like Musc Ravageur onto the market. Ravageur, devastating... yes, indeed He must have embezzled something in the olfactory pyramid; my guess is testosterone and oxytocin, two hormones, the first of which ensures that men behave from time to time in a way that we women find completely understandable, completely mysterious from a male point of view, and that we alternately demand or accuse them of depending on the situation.
Second, the Oxitocin in turn makes us want to bury our noses in the small dimple over the collarbone of our counterpart and not want to leave it again so quickly.
Of course, one is not warned of this. Instead, one is presented with a hypocritical pyramid of scents: Bergamot, of course. Lavender is also supposed to be in there.
In fact, above all and primarily, there is a suspiciously large amount of musk. You remember that passage with the testosterone? There you go, there you have it. This musk is completely shameless; however, vanilla and cinnamon, the two sweet cuddly scents from childhood, accompany it and combine so cleverly with the sheep's stallodeur that we are unable to resist. Sandalwood provides a warming sense of well-being, and is velvety soft.
Is that macho? Hello! Is that a scent that women should wear? If they want to smell like they shave their chest hair every day, then maybe.
But this one goes out to all the women who, at the sight of their clean-shaven men, from time to time secretly sighing and dreaming of Ragnarr Lodbrók with his tattoos on his bald head and the smell of 30 years of seafaring in his (unwashed) beard. And to all the men who, despite their jobs, the household, the children and of course the migraine, would not mind being taken in their arms by their loved one, firmly and unmistakably: You don't have to sign up for couples therapy! It's quicker, easier and more fun: just apply a few drops of this perfume where you want it, create the necessary exclusive environment for the sake of the silage (and don't let yourself be tempted to wear the perfume in something as far-fetched as an office) and be completely relaxed: The scent will last the whole (wonderful) night I think I'll stop commenting at this point. And take a shower. Cold.

Ambered, alpha-like musk jewelry with vanilla "Grand Soir" attitude
Strange that this already 20 years old Malle has not yet appeared on my radar screen, he has been receiving much, much praise here at Parfumo for a long time now.

"Musc Ravageur" is in fact a rather magnificently composed autumn and winter scent, which is repeatedly attested a somewhat chubby, macho-like, slightly grubby attitude at the bottom. Yes, a certain self-confident broad-leggedness is not to be denied to the Malle, although I don't find it so wicked (maybe I am simply used to too much with just under 1000 written comments...;-) )

The musk is pithy, no question, the prelude also needs some getting used to, especially in the first few minutes a quite brute mixture of lavender, tangerine and cinnamon. Luckily the whole thing soon balances out, vanilla peels out, "Musc" becomes cuddly, voluminous, also a bit gourmand, in its core also animalistic ambergris.

I would strongly recommend a careful dosage, and outside it may be less than 5 degrees Celsius (which is undoubtedly becoming more and more difficult in times of climate change...). On the whole, the scent is very well balanced, the cinnamon (fortunately) fades into the background after a few minutes, the musky vanilla and amber are the bosses in the ring for a long time.

At times I feel strongly reminded of Kurkdjian's "Grand Soir", which I also appreciate very much in deep winter, supplemented by the massive, alpha-like musk jewelry.

Yes, not everyone can and will like it in its thoroughly obtrusive basic gesture, but qualitatively it is already a heavy gun.

Animalic and addictive vanilla
If you like vanilla probably you Will LOVE It... If dont, please be aware! This is one of the BEST vanillas i have tried. The opening is very sweet and animalic, with the Notorious vanilla, the cinnamon, and all the animalic notes. The dry down is a bit woodier, with the sandakwood and the patchouli and during the whole performance all the time a very noticeable musk. I must say that i orefer the opening than the dry down... When the vanilla dissapears It turns Aldo more animalic, It smell a bit like dried saliva, a bit like the dry down of perfumes like kouros and, depending on the moment, that could be addictive or a bit annoying... The smell at opening makes me remember a lot when my grandmother cooked vanilla flan... It is a very similar scent!! Or something like flanin el niño! ;)
The performance is good but not a beast because after the first hour It turns down quickly, but is nice. The price is high but un line with other similar perfumes like under my skin by Francesca bianchi.
Summing Up, if you are looking for a special vanilla... This could be your perfume!

Scent: 9
Originality: 7
Global: 8.5
I am so addicted
Got a sample.
Unsuspectingly, I have tested this masterpiece.

It went something like this:
I'll put the sample in a box with the others Only hours later, out of boredom, I go through the rehearsals again.
That's when I see it's one of Frederic Malle's Oho! And somebody just gave it to me?
All right! Br /> Now I had to test the scent too.
I sprayed and sniffed carefully.
Oh wow! An immense cloud of scent surprises me.
Warm, musty and so horny, I want to bathe in it The smell is addictive Never had that that I could not stop sniffing my arm!

Sure there are scents you like, but this is a different league!
A subtle noble sweetness, then the musk and cinnamon. Spicy, like incense, only better, because incense is not really mine actually
This is an ecological experience with sex appeal
A bottle is unfortunately too expensive for me, but this sample, I will keep rubbing my nose in it until my bottling is there and my suffering has come to an end.

freaky vanilla
heavenly freak vanille :) very long lasting very high quality i dont know how are vintage batches but batches i own are superb, no complains quality is there - the only drawback is very high price of frederic malle :( if u have the money or you can find it discounted go grab a bottle, a lot of compliments and man and woman love it.

Chronologie IV - Perfume, the story of a murderer
Animal, dirty, virile and stable perfume!

I remember it bringing me back to 18th century France that was covered by smell so bad that modern society can't even imagine it.

The city that smelled worst was Paris, the capital. The streets smelled of garbage, yards of fresh urine, staircases of rat poo, kitchens of sheep fat, bedrooms of greasy sheets, fireplaces of sulfur and stale blood. People smelled like their clothes was never washed, their teeth and mouth like they were rotten, their bodies smelled of old cheese, sour milk and diseased glands. Everything stank, rivers, city squares, and the worst smell was under the bridges and inside the castles. Everyone in the nobility stank, and even the king smelled like a bird of pray and the queen like an old goat, the smell that stayed the same during the summers and the winters.

A man was born. A man that was said to had been obsessed, because it didn't stink of horse dung, old apples and onions.

His birth brought the change in history of France and made Paris, once one of the stinkiest cities in the world, the center of fragrant art with the crown that says - Frederic Malle, Musc Ravageur.

Inspiration... Perfume, the story of a murderer.
Erotic. Dirty. Male.
No doubt I don't know of any other scent that I find so difficult. Musc Ravageur is a perfume that I hardly dare to use, that I respect the most and that I feel equally uncomfortable with when I use it. What's the matter with you? That is also difficult...

I hear cinnamon and vanilla immediately and at every further moment. But no, it doesn't smell Christmassy or like warming balm in the cold season - because I don't really feel it sweet (not in the classic sense); the scents deceive, it's definitely not a gourmand - what smells like that should not be eaten! Cinnamon and vanilla stink, they smell musty, almost a bit cold and scratchy. In this sense, precisely because it is not a gourmand, I don't think Musc Ravageur is a classic autumn and winter fragrance, perhaps more accessible there, but in the end it works in spring or summer as well. Keyword "effect", why should I wear a musty scent?

Probably the most important thing to say about Musc Ravageur is that the clientele, the range of people who can wear this fragrance, in my opinion, is incredibly small. To be more precise: This is how a bearded, hairy man can smell - Magnum type and also with more meat on his ribs, if you understand what I mean. I'm sorry that I have to go in a stereotypical direction, but I really can't and don't want to imagine the scent in a lady. Musc Ravageur smells to me like a heavyweight construction worker who radiates traditional masculinity down to the last pore and is aware of it absolutely and with a certain satisfaction. And when he comes home in the evening, as a lover he may probably also smell like that. And that brings us to the headline: Erotic. Dirty. Male.

What ultimately makes Musc Ravageur truly incomparable and unique will be the fact that it is a true musk bomb. Since musk is (hopefully) only chemically imitated today, the scent can be very different. For comparison: Acca Kappa's Muschio Bianco / White Moss EDP is also a musk bomb, but the musk in it couldn't be more different. This one here in Musc Ravageur is so animalistic and dirty, as if it were real, pure secretion of the male musk. It really smells like animals and reminds me of fur... maybe that's why the above body hair?

Finally, I want to say that Musc Ravageur is a niche fragrance like he is in the book. This is unimaginably far away from mainstream perfumes. It smells animalistic, dirty, masculine but still with a certain security. I have the highest respect for the fragrance as a whole and actually find it good. However, I have tried it many times, it is not a scent for me. A fragrance communicates a certain message non-verbally, you simply have your own attitude with a perfume, but I don't feel this fragrance and vice versa. Guess I'm not the right type of man for that, with Frederic Malle's French Lover it'll work out better.

I hope that my annotations on the scent effect have not become sexist inadvertently and that I have been able to help one or the other with this, for me difficult, description of the scent
Profumo
Striptease of an olfactory drag queen - from vamp to guy
It's hard to believe that almost 20 years have passed since the launch of Musc Ravageur!
Luca Turin's verdict: '.... i shared 'more flashy than good' absolutely back then, and I remember feeling the scent as loud, bold and banal - a slightly too sweet musk-centered work in the mainstream vanilla garb.

What a mistake!

Basically, I wasn't that wrong, but I hadn't bothered to let MR work on me in peace.
MR wasn't flashy, I was. Once sniffed at it and - zap - made a judgement. MR is a scent which, like hardly any other, should be tested slowly and above all several times in order to be able to judge it appropriately.
MR is a true scent chameleon: one time you think you recognize an oriental scent dominated by musk and vanilla, while another time it turns out to be a classic fougère, with herbaceous lavender notes in the head and heart, and a powdery-animal base.
Interestingly enough, he is also perceived just as unevenly - and after almost 20 years many people have really spoken about him in the various forums!
From the ultra-feminine, sweet gourmand Oriental, completely unwearable for the male sex, to the testosterone-laden Mocho-Fougère, this time absolutely not recommended to the ladies. Very, very many sometimes absurdly contradicting judgments can be found among all these comments.
But many, and I belong to this group now, do not share these extreme positions. The scent is not one or the other, it is both.

With MR it's a bit like back then with 'Mary & Gordy': at the end of one of their shows they put off the fumble and the wigs to Frank Sinatra's 'My Way', pulled the fake eyelashes off their eyelids, wiped the make-up off their cheeks and stood in front of their audience at the last bars recognizable as what they actually were: as men. Of course everyone knew from the beginning that the two were travesty artists, but they were so perfect that one somehow forgot. But now, at the end of the show, it was still surprising that it was these guys who did all the fancy work.
A basenoter wrote about MR: '... a sexual dragqueen of frag.'

The scent is just like a striptease - from vamp to guy.
And just as all the glitter camouflages the male core, so initially a sweet-sour, slightly bitter tangerine-bergamot chord camouflages, in the wake of a warm blossoming clove and cinnamon-spicy vanilla sweetness in the heart, the actual aromatic-herbal lavender core on quite hearty animal base (although, it is not so hearty, but later on...).
A transformation from 'Shalimar' to 'Kouros', so to speak, where MR has neither the opulence of one fragrance nor the skingout of the other.
No, MR doesn't look so busty by a long shot, but he also shows off his guts with less legs apart, is slimmer, androgynous - and yet both fragrances are somehow godfathers.

The animal base at all! It is judged as differently as the whole fragrance: from unbearable and unacceptable, to addictive and extremely erotic.
For lovers of 'White-Musc'- and 'Clean-Musc'- scents, of clean scents at all, it might not be tolerable at all. But if you appreciate fragrances with a considerable proportion of civet and/or animalis (a perfume base of various animal secretions), don't faint at 'Kouros', find Dior's 'Leather Oud' wearable and also Bogue's fragrances, you won't have a problem with MR at all.
I find this animal side extremely stimulating (not to say: exciting!) and very sexy!

I can think of two more scents that I loosely associate with MR. One is Alyssa Ashley's 'Musk' from the 60s and the other is good ole 'Jicky'.
Musk' was a quite popular fragrance during my school days in the 70s, one of the many hippie musk scents of the time. Compared to MR, however, it is much more boring and above all harmless, not 'ravageur', i.e.: stunning, devastating, destructive.... Nothing like that is Alyssa Ashley's 'Musk', and yet MR reminds me of this scent every now and then, and makes me somehow nostalgic.

Jicky', on the other hand, is a similar scent chameleon - just as difficult to decipher, whether 'pour homme' or 'pour femme', whether Fougère or already somehow Orientale, but exactly this mask play, this vagueness, this elusiveness from the location, that's what I really appreciate about 'Jicky', but also about MR.
With 'Jicky' MR connects another parallel: both are slim scents, which build on a few chords - rather minimalistic scents with maximum effect Speaking of maximum effect: MR lasts on me incredibly long. I don't think I've ever experienced a scent like this before. Even 2 days later I can still feel it on my skin, and that - unlike Bogue's 'Mem' - is not unpleasant at all, quite the opposite. If 'Mem' is somehow penetrating and killing, MR remains steadfast to one's side, but just 'to one's side', without burying the carrier (olfactory).

Luca Turin's verdict I have to vary: '....not flashy, really good!'
Five stars

Bad to the Bone
Scentrack: Grace Jones- Libertango

A deadly beauty. In a dirty French way camouflaged Roucel's lavender. A lavender complementary surrounded by gluckwine clove, cinnamon and skanky musk. This musk is dirty, filled with animalic attraction. Vanilla is transparent, yet strong and almost edible. A sweet post coital cookie.
Only for winter, due its potency. Perfect for leaving your morning mark in girlfriend's linen.

Rating: 8/10

MillanderMillander 73 days ago
I din't like before the reformulation, because it had a barn smell with horse piss, but this new version is fantastic.
EmorandeiraEmorandeira 98 days ago
This is one of my favourite animalic and sweet scents with under my skin by Francesca bianchi. Nice amber/vanilla and musk. Smells like flan
Carlitos01Carlitos01 128 days ago
Very nice and sweet musk animalic frame, with a musk/santal drydown. The vanilla & cinnamon also make a difference. It's a bit overrated!
R0dinR0din 13 months ago
The first niche perfume i’ve ever smelled. Huge amount of cloves and cinnamon in the opening and a sweet vanilla drydown. I still love it!
LillibetLillibet 2 years ago
I loved this from the first inhale. Powdery, a little spicy, comforting like your own skin but somehow so so much better.

by Moko33
by Söze
by Hermessenz
by Hermessenz

Popular Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle

French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Portrait of a Lady by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle The Moon by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Monsieur. by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Une Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Dries Van Noten par Frédéric Malle by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Le Parfum de Thérèse by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Geranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Angéliques sous la Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Eau de Magnolia by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Rose & Cuir by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle