Music for a While by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle

Music for a While is a new perfume by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle for women and was released in 2018. The scent is fruity-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Carlos Benaïm

Lavender, Patchouli, Amber, Vanilla, Pineapple, Mandarin

Submitted by Michael, last update on 28.07.2019

8.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

Rajudaph
Pineapple the tropical fruit plant....
Now I've been with the perfumers for a good year and have learned a lot. Keeping individual fragrances apart, collegiality, spontaneity, dynamics and much more.

I bought Music for while as a blind purchase from a dear Parfuma in the Souk. Thanks again for that.

The first spray was a flash of an unripe green pineapple. Large, juicy, sour, citric.

Only after months did I explicitly perceive the lavender. The Pineapple Lavender Accord is delicious. This connection remains the same all the time. The lavender smells like mixed with caramel. The beautiful rounded patchouulin note makes the lavender herbaceous and gives it a woody note.

Altogether a deep fresh effect. At 30° C an amazingly lively scent.

Music for a while as music I don't like at all.
7.0 9.0 9.0 9.5/10

Profumo
Music yes, but not Satie - rather Schönberg!
There is a video about this fragrance that wants to tell us a story about the creation of 'Music for a while': two older men tell us here how they worked together to create the fragrance. In contrast to the text with which the fragrance is ultimately advertised on the website or cardboard box, this video is actually informative.
The starting point was therefore: we designed a lavender fragrance.
And indeed, the Editions de Parfums portfolio lacks a lavender fragrance. In general, lavender is quite popular again - Tom Ford is kicking out one lavender scent after the other, Chanel has launched the wonderful 'Boy', Bogue the heavily applauded 'Mem' and when you look at it, lavender scents pop up.
Don't mind, I love lavender!
This one is really a special one - a kind of 'Lavender-Fruitychouli'.

But back to Carlos and Frédéric: Lavender should be the center of the fragrance, carried by a base of patchouli, vanilla and labdanum, and introduced by a Hesperid cocktail of mandarin, bergamot and lemon - the roadmap was written So far, so good, so unfashionable.
So how to breathe modernity into the rather classic scent frame?
Et voilà: the pineapple!
Creed's Aventus sends his regards. And the unbelievable success of this fragrance has probably also amazed the gentlemen of the Editions de Parfums.

Said, done, and the attached pineapple note now stands quite cheekily in the center of 'Music for a while' and competes with the no less cheeky lavender for supremacy.
When I looked at the pyramid of notes of this fragrance more than a year ago, on the occasion of its introduction, it was exactly this pineapple note that kept me from even taking a test. I was so sure that I wouldn't like this new mall.
Far from it.

More out of boredom I tested it now and I have to say: Wow, what an exciting, contrasting and exciting fragrance!
I probably would have liked it even without the pineapple note, but I have to admit that it is she who gives this fragrance that certain something, that special kick. I really didn't think so!
The herbaceous-spicy lavender does not really harmonize with the fruity-sweet pineapple. But somehow it is. Just like you eat strawberries with pepper, or pineapple with fresh mint - supposed disharmonies enliven the whole thing tremendously So it is here. Through the Anitpodes Pineapple/Lavender, the fragrance indeed gets an inner tension that is fantastic, but also one or the other, or the one or the other might overstrain.
This is also how I explain the fierce defense, which partly opposes this scent, while many find it again quite great. A fragrance that polarizes. Interestingly, however, not because of its supposed animalistic parts, which otherwise let the spirits separate in some scents, no, simply because this inner tension is exhausting, perhaps also too exhausting. The sweetness of the pineapple soothes the herbaceous pungency of the lavender, while this very herbaceous one prevents the fragrance from tipping over into the all-too-sweet, syrup-like one.
So 'Music for a while' is not really a nosefeller, not a gourmand-like lavender dessert to all fogging cashmere dunk and - God sei´s praised - also not a lavender ambroxan booster for Muckibuden-goers.
No, this scent does not flatter and it does not cuddle - it demands.
He demands right at the beginning when his two main notes blossom so incredibly intense. Strangely enough, at first I only smelled pineapple, while the lady in the perfumery thought she was only taking lavender. When she mentioned the lavender, it was - zack - also with me there. What a Janus-faced scent!!

Now I actually smell lavender at first - lavender 'brut' so to speak, really fat and untamed, with all its spicy nuances. Far from the polished elegance and softness of Caron´schen Lavender. But shortly thereafter, the tangy fruity aromas of pineapple penetrate the lavender, which had previously trumped up almost arrogantly.
The already mentioned Hesperides trio plays at best a supporting role, but not an unimportant one, as it forms a kind of clamp between the fiercely antagonistic protagonists in the beginning phase.

Strangely enough, 'Music for a while' reminded me of a completely different scent right after the first spraying on: 'Mitsouko'. Here, too, the contrast between ripe, yellow-fleshed peach on the one hand and bitter-moosy chypre background on the other. In 'Music for a while' it is now the pineapple that challenges the two Fougère actors Lavender and Coumarin (also part of the fragrance!), but also a dominant fruit chord that contrasts a bitter-herb or herbaceous one.
Maybe therefore the classification as Lavender-Fruitychouli is also not quite correct and I should call the fragrance rather a fruity-oriental Fougère. But no matter how man´s turns and turns, the scent remains hard to grasp - just a Janus-faced scent, which you can never look into both pairs of eyes at the same time, no matter how hard you try...

As for the name of the fragrance: yes, it really has music in it. But not the music of Erik Satie, which accompanies the video. Much too harmonious and lulling she splashes along. No, rather music from the sound cosmos of Arnold Schönberg: exciting, atonal and exciting.

The description of the fragrance on the website and on the cardboard: plain chocolates.
With the best will in the world, I don't associate this fragrance with a woman's back whose slipping fur reveals a view of bare shoulders. The two older gentlemen would like that!
No, much more I see here a freshly barbershoped hipster enjoying a pineapple munching - the scent is quite masculine, not to say: very masculine.
Durability and radiation are - and this is really worth mentioning - simply sensational! I once made the mistake of spraying two sprays of 'Music for a while' on top of each other, just as I often do with scents that aren't very persistent. But in this case the effect is devastating. The fragrance has an incredible potency and should therefore be used sparingly. A glance at the bottle also reveals why: it is indeed a 'perfume'. No 'eau de parfum' like 'Musc Ravageur' and no 'eau de toilette' like 'Bigarade Concentrée' - no. It says 'perfume' unmistakably, and I don't think Frédéric Malle is fibbing.
The fact that 'Music for a while' has a very dense texture also goes well with this concentration of scent - the scent is strong and heavy, like a thick carpet. Fortunately, the proportion of fragrance components is manageable, so that the fragrance does not appear overloaded despite all its heaviness and density.

One last word: great!

8.0 6.0 7.0 8.0/10

Leimbacher
What's Nickie Lauda's mother's name?!
You think you know all of Frederic Malles and then you see "Music For A While" and you don't understand how he could have been playing by you last year. And not only in terms of commentary and extensive testing, but completely. I'd never heard of that exquisite lavender song before. Shame on you!

"Music For A While" is weird. He combines classic with modern to a courageous melange. Pineapple smooches lavender. It reminds of a much finer "Animale Animale For Men". Just a few minutes ago, underlaid with a lavender carpet. Cuddly and fruity at the same time. Best of both Worlds. An experiment that works out for me. The tropics meet Provence, cocktails on meadows, baguettes on coconuts. There should say again one, Lavendel would have fallen from the time...

Flacon: Malle is only once a year...
Sillage: the pineapple does not peep, the lavender does not squeeze - fits.
Shelf life: Malle Quali - 8 hours

Conclusion: Mamma Mia, Thank You For The Music - an excellent lavender kiss for the modern man of the world. Lavender doesn't get any younger. Like "Aventus" kissing the Caron Classic. Strong thing. On the verge of trash but for me great art. Bravo!
7.0 8.0 9.0 9.0/10

RobGordon
When the Postman rings twice.
Today was something like a scented Christmas for me. Two fragrances were eagerly awaited and a handful of self-chosen bottlings, including "Music for a While". I was almost standing on a trellis when the parcel postman announced his arrival with the stormy bell rhythm typical for him.

Sounds like he's trying to kick the door in with the bell. I felt the ringing of the bell like Christmas presents. "Music for a While" has been on my watch list radar since his announcement here. The manageable olfactory notation was simply test worthy.

I recently found Siam's Pineapple Chips at a REWE Group supermarket. If the stuff's in the vitamins, it's gotta be healthy, I figured. And because the packs were more in the Snow White portion format, 2 packs of them ended up in the shopping cart. For my health I go already times to my borders.

The smell that reminds me of the scent, however, is not created when the package is opened but when a load of these chips is conscientiously crushed in the mouth and allowed to unfold. What rises from this creates magnificent antagonists between fruit acid of pineapple and the caramelisation in one's own fructose.

And this game with contrasts is often very exciting for me, not only when it comes to eating or preparing it, but also when it comes to perfume, it is increasingly becoming a criterion. But I would like to give a warning in advance.

Just testing this scent on the strip and throwing it away after an hour would give me notes below the current dot average. The lavender here is bulky today with a flat silvery metallic aroma tone. Old lavender pillows or insect repellents come to mind. Here not shower gel freshness is endeavored but warfare agents of our grandparents.

I was wondering, why does Carlos B. need this lavender at all? Can't you leave it out?

But I am glad to have taken the strip test here for the sake of completeness. Because the scent process gives me the answer itself. It is an essential part of the recreation of this pineapple note. On paper, the process of this realization can take up to 2 hours. In the first half hour you should also let this fragrance breathe on your skin. The projection is exceptionally aromatic from the start, because the perfect balance of aromatic nuances of pineapple and its typical acidity illuminates the room. The caramelized roasted aromas recreated form a contrast that amazingly works even as a perfume.

You don't have to be afraid of vanilla or Etyhlmaltol for a change. The scent here does not stick to the skin, it is and remains on the airy side and still fills the room with 2 sprayers from the 2ml pocket sprayer. An extremely well staged composition of non-volatile pineapple and a slightly soapy aftershave undertone on patchouli corpus, which nestles to the skin without any problems. So the fragrance can also be worn by men without any problems.

Recently it has become difficult to inspire me with new fragrances. I just can't smell these iso-wood, vanilla-based feel-good arrangements anymore. In this respect "Music for a While" is for me already from the courageous conception a quite bearable ray of hope for the special occasions and from the music analogy rather a "Pomp & Circumstances March No. 1", because this fado-like singing characterized by suffering together with inconspicuous piano accompaniment with practice piece character, which had to serve here as name giver.

I wouldn't be surprised if sooner or later this scent came to me. Even at the risk of not using this fragrance regularly, it would have its right to exist in my manageable collection. Although there's nothing wrong with my perfume anymore. Wouldn't there still be the one who is able to close once and for all a scent gap left in the 90s on the theme of flowery, spicy and aromatic. I said today was the day of the mess. But that's another story.
7.0 4.0 8.0 7.0/10

Gourmand lavender fruitchouli
The opening of Music For A While is a beautiful lavender that is simultaneously herbal, earthy, caramelised and oily, which recalls to me a similar moment in the opening of the kaleidoscopic lavender of Bogue MEM. While MEM transcends its material to form an olfactory maze, Music For A While is more straightforward in its overall development.

This wonderful lavender is soon joined by juicy citrus and succulent pineapple, with their mouthwateringly sweet tartness and delectable pulpy richness, as if having a bowl of fruit salad next to a lavender field under sunny blue sky. The lavender soon turns more camphoraceous with time, a quality that is enhanced by the similar earthy camphor facet of patchouli. This also allows a smooth transition from the lavender/fruits in the opening to the patchouli/fruits in the dry down. One possible downside of amping up the camphorous character of lavender is the potential link with something asceptic. I myself get this association from time to time, but not strong enough to provoke a negative reaction from me.

When the lavender finally switches its leading place with patchouli after about 4 hours, Music For A While is now a caramelised fruity patchouli with a healthy dose of ethyl maltol, which is reminiscent of the note combination and the structure of Mugler Angel.Music For A While is of course less bombastic and lacks the gooey texture and the dark chocolate of Angel, but I would not be too surprised if someone decided to make a lavender version of Angel and presented it as such. As for vanilla, I personally don't detect it as a well-defined note, but it probably helps to round the edges of the fragrance.

I got an 11-hour longevity and a moderate to soft sillage.

Overall, I quite enjoy Music For A While and find it solidly done, especially the multifaceted opening lavender. The dry down sits comfortably in the gourmand fruity patchouli zone, which is probabaly the zeitgeist of the last two decades of modern perfumery. While I would not say that it’s the best gourmand lavender, it's certainly a more interesting and more layered interpretation among the recent gourmand lavender offerings. If you happen to be searching for a well-balanced gourmand lavender-fruity-patchouli fragrance, I think Music For A While is well worth a try.

by Ravenous