Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle
Bottle Design: Frederic Malle

Noir Epices is a perfume by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle for women and men and was released in 2000. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Top Notes Top NotesGeranium, Orange, Rose
Heart Notes Heart NotesClove, Nutmeg, Pepper, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Sandalwood, Cedarwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 22.02.2019

8.0 7.0 8.0 7.5/10

FabianO
Beautifully rounded, slightly soaped winter spice pack at the edges
Already almost 20 years old and so far I've passed by, although I already had a lot from the Malle series under the piston, "Noir Epices" proves to be an interesting spice perfume.

At first I felt a little reminded of the heavy guns from the ladies' world, Chanel's "Coco" for example or Lagerfeld's "Sun Moon Stars". But only in a rough approximation.

Relatively quickly, a very softly wrapped orange-cloves-rose-cinnamon-teabag mix plays itself into the foreground, which in turn creates the bow to the perfume by applying a subtle soap to the edges.

Thus, this Roudnitska creates a link between a cosy pre-Christmas time and a suitability also in late autumn, which is surely also due to the quite classic style, which in the basic style has something of classic Chanel lady scents.

Roudnitska also manages to integrate as much spice and - especially in the base - priming woodiness into "Noir Epices" as he does, which he then precisely goes down on the unisex airfield.
Pleasant perfume for all those who recognize themselves in the cornucopia of the above influences.
7.0 5.0 5.0 4.5/10

Fresh, Tart Orange Peel and Little Else
I have fallen in love with a couple of Malle Fragrances, much to my wallet's chagrin, but Noir Epices is not one of them. I mainly detect nothing but very fresh, tart orange peel or rind just as if I had begun to peel a fresh orange. This citrus note dominates the entire composition for me from top to bottom. I like orange, but I prefer it a bit sweeter than this, and I prefer it not be the dominant note throughout. This is too much tart orange rind for me. Perhaps if the spice notes were warmer and more pronounced, I would like this fragrance more, but they are barely there at all.

There is not much more I can say about this fragrance. Projection, sillage, and longevity are average. It is as unisex as is orange juice. This might be a good fragrance to wear to the club for brunch and perhaps a bit of tennis later in the afternoon, but one could achieve much the same result simply by stuffing some fresh orange rind into one's cleavage.

Fragrance: 3.5/10

Sillage: 5/10

Projection: 5/10

Longevity: 4.5/10

Christmas Kitchen Uncooked Spice
Noir Epices

Applied from a decant this opened with an alcoholic blast that took a good 30 seconds to die down and two or three minutes before anything much could be smelt. Perhaps application from a spray bottle would allow the alcohol to exit stage left more quickly but decants and carded samples are the testing medium so it is what it is.

A prominent opening with the bright spray that exits from orange peel when the skin is first broken along with cinnamon and geranium. It takes its time to warm up and when it does nutmeg, cloves, and cedar join the fray. Occasionally a metallic twang takes over some vanilla (which seems more like a nuance of another smell rather than vanilla in its own right). The metallic twang is quite pronounced when smelling the skin deeply.

I don't get the rose; cedar and geranium are very strong to me. I find it cold, thin, crisp, and edible. It is the Christmas kitchen with geraniums on the window sill, spices laid out preparatory for the cake bake, and oranges studded with cloves heaped in bowls and covered in cinnamon to make pomanders.

It is cake laced with orange liqueur but without the sugary fruit, and without the smooth creamy butter this is Christmas on a very thin mean diet.

Low projection, low sillage, soft, barely noticeable after a couple of hours (compared with Bandit as a benchmark). Holds up tenaciously on kitchen roll or cotton wool where two or three days later I am left with orange and geranium with a lemon twist. In form it reminds me of Madonna Truth or Dare Naked but without the sweet cocoa flower and vanilla.

No warm, powdery, fuzziness here just a nice fresh spring aftershave or a pick-me-up after a long winter stuck in doors.

Small sample decants 2012; 2013; 2014

Christmas Spice!
This is one which I find so interesting! It reminds me a lot of the other Malle perfume Geranium pour Monsieur, in that it has cloves, cinnamon and geranium. Here the addition is also orange peel and black pepper. It is such a spicy floral mix. I can detect all spices and no sweetness. I think Roudnitska could've added some vanilla in the base, but he didn't want to... and that is what makes this one so different. It's loud, it's bold, and it's somewhat unique.

So it doesn't follow the myriad of oriental compositions by having a citrus top, spicy middle, and woody base. Here, the vanilla and any hint of sweetness is absent, so instead we get deep and pungent aromatic spices, with the dried orange zest and the minty, prominent geranium. I do like it a lot. It actually reminds me a lot of some kind of very aromatic pot-pourri, but it's also more than that, it's also an expertly crafted perfume.

I see this as a one-of-a-kind perfume that may not be on everyone's buy list, but it should be tested and experienced first. Quite unique!

Please, NO!
Noir Epices effortlessly fills the last spot on my personal chart of Malle’s fragrances - I mean the worst spot. The bottom of the barrel. I don’t get the “black” and ultimately I don’t even get the “spices” that much as well, or not as I would assume at least. I don’t want my spices laid on a corpse, and instead that’s basically how Noir Epices smells. “Carnal”, overdosed nuances of metallic rose-geranium and a nondescript sultry musky note blended with a ridicolously loud concoction of spices and waxy floral-citrus notes, finally infused with a really bizarre and discomforting sort of sugary-watery vein, almost musty and milky. Sounds messy, eh? That’s how it smells, too. It’s loud, vile, ultimately a bit cheap as well, as besides being cacophonously blended, the materials don’t really seem that top-notch either. As hours pass it gets a bit better as it tames down a little at least, becoming slightly sweeter and smoother, but still remaining basically the same awkward and screechy mishmash of musk, soap, wax, spices, expired citronellol candles and blood-stained rusty metal bars. I’m genuinely sorry to sound so tight-butted and unable of getting the magic here, but I find this blatantly atrocious on every level.

4/10
8.0/10

Highly addictive
I had to test this fragrance a few times, 4 times to be exactly, to find out how I felt exactly about Noir Epices. The first test it reminded me of Chanel no. 5 and Amouage Gold, the second time I became aware of the spiciness and smelled mostly nutmeg and cloves, the third time I got the orange and rose and from the fourth test I finally smelled a spicy rose. Every time after that I perceive this lovely noir spicy rose and I really really adore it. There is just a tiny sweetness in this fragrance and it's perfect. I suspect this fragrance to be highly addictive, because I don't want to be without it anymore.

This scent is often perceived as masculine. I disagree with this wholeheartedly, in my opinion this is absolutely a feminine fragrance. Well, a man can wear it of course and it will smell wonderful, but still I find it more feminine. After checking out the Frederic Malle website and seeing a video in which Michel Roudnitska explaining the process of creation I found out that it was actually created for women.

A very nicely done fragrance. A masterpiece in my humble opinion.
7.5 5.0 10.0 6.0/10

Spiced Orange Tea...
Noir Epices opens up and continues for the first one to two hours with a blast of spiced orange that reminds me very much of a spiced orange tea with some geranium mixed in at the start before focusing primarily on the orange and spices like clove and nutmeg at its heart. The spices remain in a more subdued form through the base notes that include sandalwood and patchouli. In my opinion, the base notes are definitely the best part of the scent, and if you can survive the tenacious "orange tea" heart you are rewarded well in the end. Longevity is excellent, but projection is very average. Noir Epices is a fine overall rendition, but I have a hard time recommending it without reservation due to the length of time you have to wait to get to the good stuff. 3 out of 5 stars.
7.5 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Orange Rind Opening Cedes to Spicy Geranium
Frédéric Malle NOIR EPICES opens with a bitter orange-rind scent, but then rose geranium swiftly sweeps in, along with a smattering of spices, the most dominant of which to my nose are nutmeg and cloves.

This is a pleasing blend, which I would characterized as a spicy floral or floriental, given the strength of the geranium. I find this perfume more masculine than GERANIUM POUR MONSIEUR, ironically, but it is definitely suitable for women who like their geranium spiked with nutmeg. The strong orange-rind opening also contributes to the masculine slant of NOIR EPICES.

Not nearly so dark or spicy as I'd have surmised from the name, but NOIR EPICES is a very nice perfume all the same!

Hermesh 4 years ago
A spicy orange; dense, but not dark. Clove has an interesting, cool touch. At the same time, that makes the fragrance modern.+2

by Oberloser