Portrait of a Lady by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle
Portrait of a Lady is a popular perfume by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle for women and was released in 2010. The scent is floral-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum)

Top Notes Top NotesClove, Raspberry, Rose, Blackcurrant, Cinnamon
Heart Notes Heart NotesPatchouli, Sandalwood, Frankincense
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Benzoin, Musk

Submitted by Fran, last update on 23.01.2021.

Spicy rose incense.
Fantastic fresh rose opening—dewy, green, and spicy—that becomes increasingly woody, ambery, musky, and smoky over time. Perfectly unisex on paper, yet different skin will emphasize various facets (mine amps up the spice and incense, where my wife’s focuses on the rose and fruit). Pure and clean, with none of the overly jammy, saccharine, or bitter notes common to many rose fragrances. A balanced, but drastically sweeping shift from light and fresh (rose and spice) to dark and sultry (resins and wood). I haven’t truly smelled anything quite like this, but recall very loose similarities with Déclaration D’Un Soir—just less sweet and with more natural rose and development. Wife and I are splitting a bottle. A deftly composed and dynamic rose and incense masterpiece. Must try!

MissD
Lovely scent, but doesn´t last
This could possible be THE perfume that I have been searching for. Bought a 50 ml bottle and love the opening, but the dry down is very weak and moldy patchouli. Please don´t get me wrong, I absolutely love patchouli , but in this dry down it becomes old and bitter and I cannot detect any rose. I get hardly any sillage and the lasting power is poor. I sprayed it on two hours ago (three sprays) and it´s completely gone. First I thought I might have gotten a bad batch (bought it from a store), but then I got a few samples and all were the same. No projection, no lasting power and bitter dry down. I just wish the fragrance would last, its my absolute favorite perfume in the entire world - but the dry down is just so bad I cannot justify buying another bottle. Might need to give Tiziana Terenzis Porpora a try and see if that has a nice projection and dry down. So sad, but oh well.. my search continues.

Ptsau
Nice but not my cup of tea!
I tried a 2ml sample for 2 full wears. Lucky I did that because I only ‘like’ it, not ‘love’ it. After it dries down, I think it just smells like my Oud Satin Mood (I have a full bottle of it) but in a very mature and feminine way. I don’t like feminine and mature scents but I have to admit it has great performance and quality. Just not my thing and it costs more than most of Frederick Malle perfumes. I love Frederick Malle and its Musc Ravageur and Carnal Flower (I have a 100ml bottles of them). I think they do worth my money. They have more unique scents, smell younger and more unisex.
2020Antiope
Celtic mysticism for gentle adventurers and dreamy explorers
Everything is right and I nod convinced to the described rose incense of Terra, the ingenious confrontation of two completely different types of women of seriousness, the mentioned song Lady is a tramp on Serenissima.

But there is something else in this fragrance that almost magically draws me to the keyboard.....

The violent incense prelude, which almost takes my breath away and immediately makes me think of Oud Essentiel by Guerlain, is immediately followed by an overgrown rose garden, which is already withering away and whose morbid charm makes you smile softly and wander into the pre-Christian past.
I close my eyes and am in the deepest England..... the celtic crosses on the weathered cemeteries... the wildly beautiful and rough landscapes... the roar of the surf...
What magic is at work here, that I feel so transported back in time and want to sink into my heavy illustrated books of Britain or the quiet and interesting documentaries about the Celtic past of the historical island ?

I attribute the intense impressions to incense; fragrances that contain incense have always held a great fascination for me. That in turn is probably related to my passion for old churches and cathedrals.......

The violently escaped incense evaporates relatively quickly and leaves the roses in charge for a while. These roses have become my declared favourites within a very short time; they are mild and fine in their presence, not dominating as is often the case. This is probably due to the blackcurrants, which inconspicuously but perfectly balance the rose presence and keep it at bay a little. Cinnamon is also mentioned; I like cinnamon very much in certain dishes, but not necessarily in perfumes and so I am grateful that I don't notice it here.
After some time, about half an hour, the roses took turns with the incense again and now finally leave him in charge.
The fragrance now exudes a presence on my skin which, despite its intensity, is not obtrusive, but pleasantly light for incense. The roses and woods remain ingeniously arranged in the background without being in shadow.

An absolutely irresistible perfume for all incense / rose scent enthusiasts!
I am hopelessly captured, dreamily escaped the present and would like to leave everything behind and go on a journey through time........
Allow me to add:
after I was back on the ground with my feet, I pondered and smiled for quite some time; why was it that I first resorted to this fragrance of all things?
Despite the fact that I did not win the raffle, I had charmingly received a few bottlings and took a small leap in the air in front of Serafina, who helped me to achieve this still absolutely magical fragrance experience for me!

A Portrait of Perfection
Notes: Clove, Raspberry, Rose, Blackcurrant, Cinnamon, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Frankincense, Amber, Benzoin and Musk

A divine fragrance. This is one of those fragrances that's talked about a lot in the community and I finally got a chance to try this majestic scent. Even though it's marketed towards women, in my opinion it's definitely unisex. The rose is just lovely and prominent in this fragrance. This opens with a fruity note which is quickly over taken by that Intoxicating and seductive rose note, followed by Patchouli, Incense and Musk. Overall a seductive and sexy scent, I know I am late to the game but now I need a bottle ????
X-Mas in a bottle
When I sniffed the scent on a scent strip for the first time, I was as if enchanted. It smelled like fruity spicy roses with lots of green and some musk - delicious !

So I took a sample home with me and tested it extensively:

First, I can clearly see the clove. slightly prickly, but not biting... I can catch a whiff of roses and cinnamon... the prelude for me is very spicy and slightly green-pink...

After a short while (approx. 15 minutes) the woody-smoky is added... My skin absorbs woody and smoky things enormously well, which usually throws the other components mercilessly out of the game..

So also here... The prelude was very interesting, but after 15 minutes the smell on my skin is overrun by wood and smoke...

On my skin it smells like fresh green and slightly resinous fir forest with lots of smoke and spice...
It kind of reminds me of Christmas... Such a winter walk through the fir forest, in the hand a hot spicy tea, past moss, and firs, where the resin drips from the tree bark ..... Yes, it's Christmas for me...

So the fragrance stays with me for hours!
A little bit of musk sometimes pushes a little bit through, but that's it...

With a shelf life of well over 9 hours, I consider it to be quite good. The Sillage is also quite good, depending on the dose :)

All in all I don't find the fragrance bad, but it's a pity that the two notes "wood" and "frankincense" are absorbed too strongly by my skin and almost completely exclude the remaining notes...
Baroque painting
A terribly beautiful masterpiece. The light-dark billowing Caravaggio under the fragrances, simply magnificent. Baroque, but with class. Not fat and lavishly overloaded, but majestic and austere - just as one danced pavane at the court of Versailles.
They had fun, but always in style, they murdered, but behind the thick silk curtain. Eventually, however, the thick, already stagnant blood began to gush from underneath.
Wipe it away, says the King. And may it be hushed up, do you understand me? C'est une ordonnance
Mon Dieu, it's the little marquise who has been gossiping too much, quick, where is my rose scent...my heavy, deafening rose scent, otherwise I can't stand it...

I resisted it for a long time, I'm not at all the type for heavy wood patchouli rose fragrances, at some point it just hit me, I needed something against the daily banality of being. I rarely use it, but it's good that I have it. "Take it, it will help you", said the lady at my favourite perfumery. The only time I smelled it on someone was in Milan, in Via della Spiga. I think it was a man. Turkish rose, wood and patchouli. It was probably Prince Tancredi

Unforgettable and unmistakable
Perfumer Dominique Ropion and Frederic Malle get on with each other quite well, which can be proved by at least 5 scents from the serie Editions De Parfums: Carnal Flower, Geranium Pour Monsieur, Une Fleur de Cassie, Vetiver Extraordinaire and the most popular one among the true connoisseurs of perfumes Portrait of a Lady. Those who are more familiar with Frederic Malle’s offer know that most of Ropion’s scents are usually those graded the highest and the most marketable ones from all the others launched by this exceptional and exclusive brand.

Both gentlemen admitted that balancing Portrait of a Lady needed a lot of time and hundreds of trials. Their actions though, of which the starting point was Geranium Pour Monsieur, brought up a rose-cantered smell, which for me is undoubtedly the best I have ever tried out. Ropion combined in this smell rose essence with patchouli note, which is not that revealing after all but highly efficient and effective – as both those components get on together as any other components in perfumery. The characteristic smell of patchouli has been cleverly modified by cinnamon and frankincense in a way that it does not dominate that clearly – the lack of dominance also concerns other used here components, apart from the previously-mentioned rose. The components create a coherent oriental theme that entwines the rose essence. The base of the scent is strongly musky with some sandal wood and benzoin. The top accord, to be clear, consists of black currant and raspberry. Still, the beautiful warm and balanced rose dominates here most of the time.

Despite the name which might indicate feminine nature of the smell, the scent proves very well on man’s skin which I tested many many times. With its oriental rose nature the smell does not differ much from Cartier’s Declaration d’Un Soir , even though it is much heavier, saturated and thick in comparison to very successful scents by Mathilde Laurent. Other similar scents based on a modern connection of rose and patchouli are earlier reviewed Hippie Rose by James Heeley and Lumiere Noire Pour Homme by Francis Kurkdjian.
Portrait of a Lady is very clear, strong and lasts over 12h. The smell is perfectly constructed in its every aspect. It presents a modern way of a rose that is not that overwhelming, perfectly balanced and beautiful. It is a great smell, that gives a lot of satisfaction. I highly recommended it.
top notes: black currant, raspberry

middle notes: turkish rose, cinammon, clove, patchouli

base notes: sandalwood, ambroxan, white musk, benzoin, incense

launched in: 2010

perfumer: Dominique Ropion

Lexa
Portrait of a Lady (maybe a man too)
I’ve tested this fragrance when i was just entering the Niche world,so it was pretty much a shocking experience for me. Because Portrait of a Lady is a love or hate scent,for me ar least. So,at first i found it strange. Was so cold and so untouchable,a perfume more towards unisex than ladylike,with such a selfish vibe,was almost screaming ‘leave me alone,don’t touch me’. Of course back then i left it rot in a box,wasn’t for me.
I received these days a decant from a non reformulated bottle. Rose-patchouli combo,with a slight touch of raspberry,totally drowning in incense. Same cold incense i remembered from the first encounter. I don’t like this fragrance. Makes me feel very uncomfortable,and why lie,makes me pretty sick too. With a longevity of least 10 hours,a pretty strong sillage and a truly unisex vibe,Portrait of a Lady is perfectly wearable by a man also. It is not a jammy rose scent,not even fit for a young woman in my opinion,this is not for me. I totally refuse to wear or even smell it. I had only one experience like this. With Fracas Piguet. Of course they are not even remotely alike,but it gave me the same bad feeling. But it has its lovers. Which i absolutely admire. This is not a bad fragrance,not at all,but i believe this is a stone cold hearted one. You can find this mix at every step of the way in the perfume world,but this here is pretty much one of a kind.Conclusion: i don’t like it and i hope not to ever smell it again.

grande dame
The rose and patchouli pairing is such a good fit that it seems like proof of fate. It’s been the basis for a range of leathery, ambery, woody and mossy perfumes spanning woody-floral, chypre and oriental genres. The Malle PR boasts that Ropion used surpassing doses of rose essence and patchouli coeur, a fractionated patchouli. Fractionated naturals are botanical materials that have been separated into their constituent parts by chemical and physical processes, especially molecular distillation, and edited to remove undesirable traits.

Around the time of Portrait’s launch more and more of these ‘tidied up’ botanicals were becoming available. Well understood materials like vetiver, cedar and patchouli saw their challenging attributes reduced or removed, leaving frictionless, blissful versions of the materials. They were sanded, polished and lacquered. Aroma materials manufacturers were pushing their hot new high-tech, stripped-down botanicals. They were an easy sell. They used a version of the best-of-all-worlds tactic to sidestep the endless botanical vs synthetic debate. They are ‘natural’ and therefore good but they have also been made better through chemistry and are therefore contemporary.

Used thoughtfully, fractionated botanicals allowed a measured, precise tailoring of olfactory effects. Unfortunately they also made their way into some simplistic compositions that smelled like ‘easy listening’ perfumes. The niche and mainstream markets of the time were top-heavy with a glut of radiant, synth-woody fragrances. Many perfume buyers had become accustomed to judging the quality of a perfume by how closely it approximated the properties of woody amber materials. These scrubbed versions of botanical materials matched the tone created by woody ambers. An entire fumie cohort was conditioned to respond to the ‘clarity’ of the new generation of fractionated botanicals.

Distillation of materials is not new to perfumery by any means. The recent emphasis on fractionating well-understood botanical aroma-materials stems from the attempt to dissect IFRA-designated toxic materials such as lavender, lemon and the notoriously virulent tea leaf and remove their noxious bits. Think of a fraction as a potent material that has undergone an exorcism.

Rose and patchouli have complementary facets that fit like a lock and key and have strong synergy. The camphorous chill of patchouli acts like an astringent to rose, keeping it from settling into the dull beauty that an uninspired rose perfume can have. Rose’s berry notes become wine-like and boozy when paired with patchouli. Resinous materials give rose a honeyed drawl and musk keeps the bloom on the rose. Camphor, berry notes, musk and amber are the olfactory attributes emphasized in coeur de vetiver and Ropion uses them along with incense, benzoin and god only knows what else to create the durable accords that allow Portrait of a Lady to last for days. It is classically Ropion in that rich natural materials and potent synthetics are focussed on the same goal: coherence. The perfume’s sillage and forcefulness hint at potent synthetics. Happily, though, the ear-ringing, gut-churning feeling I associate with over-reliance on particular synthetics to give radiance and endurance is nowhere to be found. Portrait of a Lady showcases Ropion’s exceptional capacity to calibrate synthetics toward specific compositional ends while avoiding their side-effects.

Since 2010 when it was released, Portrait of a Lady has come to stand toe-to-toe with an equally imposing patch-rose, Aromatics Elixir. While AE dominates the mossy/chypre side of the rose-patch hoards, The Lady has become the standard against which woody and oriental side of the rose family is compared. Rose-oud as well. It’s a perfume that begs to be described in superlatives and worn with abandon.

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 5 months ago
Initially spicy-fruity, this slightly smoky spicy-earthy floral fragrance settles to a dusty resinous-woody base. 100% Unisex!
SharleezeSharleeze 6 months ago
This is an absolute masterpiece created by a genius. It think it will be Chanel N°5 of the 21st century.
PioPio 2 years ago
Lovely scent. Can't go wrong with this one.

Discussions about Portrait of a Lady

by Jalami
by Splashfrag12
by Splashfrag12

Popular Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle The Moon by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Monsieur. by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Une Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Dries Van Noten par Frédéric Malle by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Le Parfum de Thérèse by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Geranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle The Night by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Angéliques sous la Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Rose & Cuir by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle