Portrait of a Lady by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle
Portrait of a Lady is a popular perfume by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle for women and was released in 2010. The scent is floral-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum)

Top Notes Top NotesCloveClove
FrankincenseFrankincense
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber
BenzoinBenzoin
MuskMusk

Submitted by Fran, last update on 27.07.2021.

Actually
Actually, I am not so the fan of rose perfumes. Hidden in there somewhere like, the mixture makes it, but usually I always give samples of rose perfumes to my mom. Actually.

Actually, the rose is still my favorite flower, I even wear it as a tattoo. Weird, I know, but the scent of the fresh rose is just a different one for me than in most perfumes. Actually.

And actually I had ordered the bottling for my mom, I like to do that sometimes, like L'eau À la Rose or Crystal Flowers , two of her favorites. Actually.

You can probably already guess how this review ends.

Before I give the bottlings to my mom, I always treat myself to a sample sniff. Portrait of a Lady so, my first associations with it are ladies from the time Baroque, sitting still to be painted. Portrait of a Lady just.
And so I sprayed me the good piece on.

Actually, now would come the part where I think to myself, "Yes, typical rose perfume, just right for Mom".
But it didn't come.

Portrait of a Lady is for me just not the normal classic rose fragrance, but much more. An adult rose that was broken off and once beautifully bathed in incense and breaded with pepper, clove and patchouli. Adult and mysterious, floral but with a certain punch.

Actually, a rose scent nonetheless.
Actually.

SinLaurent
Rebirth in the wrong age
There are stories about some people remembering their past lives. I don't believe it. I know I don't. Whereas, know is a strong word, but I intend to know what I'm talking about when I talk about perfumes and my life.

First of all, you may not get along with this lady. I may look very different from her, but we are a spitting image on the inside. If you're planning on hitting the clubs with us and dancing the night away with "Alien" until 9am, then we're sorry to disappoint you. We're also not going to be the kind of women that guys talk about after the weekend about how the night was with us and how black opium felt on our skin. We're also not the kind of women who recklessly explore the world alone with a backpack and occasionally spray up the courage with "Black Afghano."

Why we're so boring?

Because we have seen all this before.

Portrait of a Lady can already count off all her fingers on one hand to show how many decades she has behind her. She wears her pearl necklace around her neck, inherited from her grandmother, and drinks the same black tea every morning at exactly 9 o'clock. With the same light pastry. One may hand her new confectionery, new delicacies from the world's best pastry shop, but she will refuse. Because she has already found what she likes (some call her "dull", "boring" and "stuffy" for this reason). For her birthday she gets her favorite roses from her husband, he can not make a mistake, because the lady has always had the same taste. Something about her seems as if she's been wintering together with her clothes in the closet and just crawled out five minutes ago. Still quickly patting herself over her clothes, something about it reminds me of chalk dust.... Yes, wet chalk.

She doesn't wear herself out or rage. She stays but does not force herself on, she leaves a trace but only certain she will be remembered. That one calls her prude, is equal to her. She has seen the world through different eyes, and this time she knows that she has no reason to hurry to discover herself. She is already at the end, even though it may only be the beginning.

Masterpiece!
Everything about France and Paris is magical... just like Frederic Malle.

This fragrance is all about luxury, magic and quality.

Rose, incense, raspberry and patchouli. A little bit of musk. Cinnamon and cloves are very quiet in the the background. I believe that the scent is creamy from sandalwood.
Raspberry makes it unique compared to other perfumes with rose note... it's a note that knocked me off my feet.

Do not blind buy this! It's a unisex fragrance, but I can understand why someone consider it as a feminine.

Performance is just amazing. Longevity and sillage are insane with 6 sprays. Over 8 hours with a strong aura. Skin scent for another 12 hours. Beast mode for fall and winter.

I will definitely always have this gem in my collection, it is just perfect.

it's a 10+, Mr. Dominique - thank you!

MrLawman
A portrait that can be understood in many ways
Portrait of a Lady is an miracle from a technical perspective.

Every museum visitor knows that the challenge with each portrait is to recall the meaning of the painter. We face the same challenge with POAL. Sometimes it smells dominant earhty patchoul or rosy- musky and sometimes smells church like incense or animalic.

A true creation of art that would be the first acquisition of a fragrance museum.

Spicy rose incense.
Fantastic fresh rose opening—dewy, green, and spicy—that becomes increasingly woody, ambery, musky, and smoky over time. Perfectly unisex on paper, yet different skin will emphasize various facets (mine amps up the spice and incense, where my wife’s focuses on the rose and fruit). Pure and clean, with none of the overly jammy, saccharine, or bitter notes common to many rose fragrances. A balanced, but drastically sweeping shift from light and fresh (rose and spice) to dark and sultry (resins and wood). I haven’t truly smelled anything quite like this, but recall very loose similarities with Déclaration D’Un Soir—just less sweet and with more natural rose and development. Wife and I are splitting a bottle. A deftly composed and dynamic rose and incense masterpiece. Must try!

MissD
Lovely scent, but doesn´t last
This could possible be THE perfume that I have been searching for. Bought a 50 ml bottle and love the opening, but the dry down is very weak and moldy patchouli. Please don´t get me wrong, I absolutely love patchouli , but in this dry down it becomes old and bitter and I cannot detect any rose. I get hardly any sillage and the lasting power is poor. I sprayed it on two hours ago (three sprays) and it´s completely gone. First I thought I might have gotten a bad batch (bought it from a store), but then I got a few samples and all were the same. No projection, no lasting power and bitter dry down. I just wish the fragrance would last, its my absolute favorite perfume in the entire world - but the dry down is just so bad I cannot justify buying another bottle. Might need to give Tiziana Terenzis Porpora a try and see if that has a nice projection and dry down. So sad, but oh well.. my search continues.

Ptsau
Nice but not my cup of tea!
I tried a 2ml sample for 2 full wears. Lucky I did that because I only ‘like’ it, not ‘love’ it. After it dries down, I think it just smells like my Oud Satin Mood (I have a full bottle of it) but in a very mature and feminine way. I don’t like feminine and mature scents but I have to admit it has great performance and quality. Just not my thing and it costs more than most of Frederick Malle perfumes. I love Frederick Malle and its Musc Ravageur and Carnal Flower (I have a 100ml bottles of them). I think they do worth my money. They have more unique scents, smell younger and more unisex.
2020Antiope
Celtic mysticism for gentle adventurers and dreamy explorers
Everything is right and I nod convinced to the described rose incense of Terra, the ingenious confrontation of two completely different types of women of seriousness, the mentioned song Lady is a tramp on Serenissima.

But there is something else in this fragrance that almost magically draws me to the keyboard.....

The violent incense prelude, which almost takes my breath away and immediately makes me think of Oud Essentiel by Guerlain, is immediately followed by an overgrown rose garden, which is already withering away and whose morbid charm makes you smile softly and wander into the pre-Christian past.
I close my eyes and am in the deepest England..... the celtic crosses on the weathered cemeteries... the wildly beautiful and rough landscapes... the roar of the surf...
What magic is at work here, that I feel so transported back in time and want to sink into my heavy illustrated books of Britain or the quiet and interesting documentaries about the Celtic past of the historical island ?

I attribute the intense impressions to incense; fragrances that contain incense have always held a great fascination for me. That in turn is probably related to my passion for old churches and cathedrals.......

The violently escaped incense evaporates relatively quickly and leaves the roses in charge for a while. These roses have become my declared favourites within a very short time; they are mild and fine in their presence, not dominating as is often the case. This is probably due to the blackcurrants, which inconspicuously but perfectly balance the rose presence and keep it at bay a little. Cinnamon is also mentioned; I like cinnamon very much in certain dishes, but not necessarily in perfumes and so I am grateful that I don't notice it here.
After some time, about half an hour, the roses took turns with the incense again and now finally leave him in charge.
The fragrance now exudes a presence on my skin which, despite its intensity, is not obtrusive, but pleasantly light for incense. The roses and woods remain ingeniously arranged in the background without being in shadow.

An absolutely irresistible perfume for all incense / rose scent enthusiasts!
I am hopelessly captured, dreamily escaped the present and would like to leave everything behind and go on a journey through time........
Allow me to add:
after I was back on the ground with my feet, I pondered and smiled for quite some time; why was it that I first resorted to this fragrance of all things?
Despite the fact that I did not win the raffle, I had charmingly received a few bottlings and took a small leap in the air in front of Serafina, who helped me to achieve this still absolutely magical fragrance experience for me!

A Portrait of Perfection
Notes: Clove, Raspberry, Rose, Blackcurrant, Cinnamon, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Frankincense, Amber, Benzoin and Musk

A divine fragrance. This is one of those fragrances that's talked about a lot in the community and I finally got a chance to try this majestic scent. Even though it's marketed towards women, in my opinion it's definitely unisex. The rose is just lovely and prominent in this fragrance. This opens with a fruity note which is quickly over taken by that Intoxicating and seductive rose note, followed by Patchouli, Incense and Musk. Overall a seductive and sexy scent, I know I am late to the game but now I need a bottle ????
X-Mas in a bottle
When I sniffed the scent on a scent strip for the first time, I was as if enchanted. It smelled like fruity spicy roses with lots of green and some musk - delicious !

So I took a sample home with me and tested it extensively:

First, I can clearly see the clove. slightly prickly, but not biting... I can catch a whiff of roses and cinnamon... the prelude for me is very spicy and slightly green-pink...

After a short while (approx. 15 minutes) the woody-smoky is added... My skin absorbs woody and smoky things enormously well, which usually throws the other components mercilessly out of the game..

So also here... The prelude was very interesting, but after 15 minutes the smell on my skin is overrun by wood and smoke...

On my skin it smells like fresh green and slightly resinous fir forest with lots of smoke and spice...
It kind of reminds me of Christmas... Such a winter walk through the fir forest, in the hand a hot spicy tea, past moss, and firs, where the resin drips from the tree bark ..... Yes, it's Christmas for me...

So the fragrance stays with me for hours!
A little bit of musk sometimes pushes a little bit through, but that's it...

With a shelf life of well over 9 hours, I consider it to be quite good. The Sillage is also quite good, depending on the dose :)

All in all I don't find the fragrance bad, but it's a pity that the two notes "wood" and "frankincense" are absorbed too strongly by my skin and almost completely exclude the remaining notes...

T3lk4T3lk4 5 days ago
Very powerful scent, strong and imposing, never smelt anything quite like it.
MariaSMariaS 4 months ago
A dirty smokey animalic rose...It's a portrait of a lady so powerful, respected and imposing who doesn't need any man in her life.
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 11 months ago
Initially spicy-fruity, this slightly smoky, spicy-earthy floral fragrance settles to a dusty resinous-woody base. 100% Unisex!
SharleezeSharleeze 1 year ago
This is an absolute masterpiece created by a genius. It think it will be Chanel N°5 of the 21st century.
PioPio 2 years ago
Lovely scent. Can't go wrong with this one.

Discussions about Portrait of a Lady

by Entenradio
by Entenradio
by DeJu
by DeJu
„Träume dir dein Leben schön und mach aus diesen Träumen eine Realität.“- Marie Curie
by NuiWhakakore
by Jalami
by Splashfrag12
by Splashfrag12

Popular Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Monsieur. by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle The Moon by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Une Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Dries Van Noten par Frédéric Malle by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Le Parfum de Thérèse by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Eau de Magnolia by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Angéliques sous la Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle The Night by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Geranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle