Promise by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle
Promise is a popular perfume by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle for women and men and was released in 2017. The scent is woody-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Top Notes Top NotesPink pepper, Rosemary, Apple
Heart Notes Heart NotesBulgarian rose, Turkish rose absolute, Clove
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Ambroxan, Labdanum, Cypriol, Castoreum

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 16.01.2021.

JacSi9
Of uncanny scent memories and the shade of the apple trees
There's a mystical, spooky thread running through my perfume days. It comes out of nowhere. There he is apparently waiting for me, while the earth is turning before him and the days go by. When he opens the door to my consciousness, he rings with the self-evidence of a DHL messenger. Then suddenly a scent appears on the cognitive screen that I haven't smelled for months. So I order a sample for a new test, and not infrequently that composition makes it into my collection as a bottle or larger filling. I smelled Promise briefly in a department store last winter. That's it. And now it stands as 10ml travel spray next to my other fragrances. The mystery thread has struck again with full force. No defense.

Promise starts with an apple. Not a sentence that would win any literary awards, but at least it's true. Not a fresh, crunchy apple. Not green and crunchy, not part of Edeka commercials. It had already been lying near the trunk of the apple tree for some time, deep red and in its ripeness well on its way to the apple beyond. But it can still be eaten. Why people experiment with wood varnish near an apple tree, I do not know. But that is the situation - I am only the rapporteur here. This somewhat pungent metallic smell lingers in the background and recedes in intensity as the scent progresses. Just like the apple I mentioned.

The sun has long since retired. There is nothing cheerful, nothing sweet and certainly nothing Tutti Frutti. There are already indications of what will be important later: A dark, heavy carpet of earthy woodiness makes its way through the opening. Wafts of smoke drift through the air on the horizon. Something alcoholic resonates. There could also be a wooden barrel hidden in the immediate vicinity, in which an apple brandy was stored for a long time. Perhaps too long.

The start is in my opinion the most challenging part of Malle's promise. Maybe one reason for the rather restrained reviews here on Parfumo. Objectively speaking, I would have rated them higher - as objectively as one can look at something like that. The complexity of the scent is comparatively limited. Which does not detract from the complexity of the fragrance. In my opinion, the latently fermenting fruitiness of the apple in particular withdraws and makes room for an oud-like impression. The earthiness of patchouli coupled with the dark woody scent of cypriol and the slightly animalistic edge of beaver's horehound are responsible for this. Labdanum lends rather restrained warmth. I think this is a very smart solution. In comparison with Frédéric Malles The Night, 100ml will cost "only" 275 Euros instead of the 1,100 Euros. And the best: I like it much better.

After the aforementioned main development, the dark, smoky, somewhat bitter oud impression remains with a good deal of stamina. I do not perceive the rose components separately. With this fragrance one can expect a good deal of depth. The "fruitiness" resonates as an echo. A certain smokiness remains, but fits in willingly. I perceive the fragrance as very broad, with high volume, almost a little juicy.

The dose makes the poison here. Low doses, perhaps under textile, Promise is well wearable for those who do not feel disguised with it. Primarily in the evening and at night. Cold temperatures are not only welcome here, but part of the job description. My Travel Spray will last a long time thanks to the power and special nature of the fragrance. The application possibilities are limited, but there must also be scents for special moments. Although I am not a great expert when it comes to Arabic scents. But here I have the impression that marketing really goes hand in hand with the product. The fragrance shows edge, leaves the terrain of the western habit and stops.

I like Promise best after the 30-minute mark and I can only recommend to give the fragrance time. Just as the haunting thread gave me time to prepare myself subconsciously. For pome fruit lying in the shade of the apple trees, saying goodbye to our reality. For wood varnish experiments. And to one of the most interesting oud impressions I've seen in a long time.

Promise me LOVE.
Im definitely in Love with this one. I knew that Dominique Ropion for FM are the best combination but i wanted to be sure. A friend of mine got it and i was like i need this 2.
This one starts very oudy and it changes to smoke and incense and wood/leather.
I dont smell any roos actually. This one has a very good silage. ( i think just 2 sparys) are enough for the night out. Btw this is a real night out parfume if you go out just do this, But remember go easy on it because this is very strong parfume. I’m not sure if i can compare this one with some other parfums? Help me if you do.
So i would say agan another masterpiece by DR.
The tree's cut down.
Since I am currently trying to test my nose a little bit, I have been trying to sniff the ingredients of various perfumes for some time now.
So:
Without looking at the fragrance pyramid, I ordered a bottling and then smelled it on my arm
My first impression:
Whew! It's really loud
A woody-resinous scent can be perceived.
Paired with something green and floral in the background. I don't realize that it is supposed to be Cypriol, Rosemary and Rose, but my nose is also not yet so well trained in such complex scent compositions.

I'm going to smell my arm again Somehow it also has something slightly fruity, which gives the fragrance a certain sweetness.
But only very tentatively and therefore also difficult to identify.
It's probably the apple flavour. But I wouldn't have recognized it.

The 3 main characters are in this fragrance:
Resin, wood and patchouli.
You can smell it clearly.
I would've guessed Amber by now by smelling her Actually, there's Ambroxan in it.

So now to the conclusion.
I see this scent more in men and not overdosed.
It reminds me a little bit of a big, beautiful tree, which was cut down and cut open.
Now the resin is running out of him.
The wound is stuffed with patchouli and now the whole forest smells of it.

I think there will be many a hiker who is fascinated by this smell, but at the same time it can also polarize.
However you feel about this fallen tree. It will lie there like that for a long time to come.
(This pictorial representation is representative of the durability)

Emorandeira
For oud lovers without oud
One of my favourites of the FM línea with carnal flower and musc ravageur. I feel overall the spices... It is for me a very spicy perfume. I can smell also a very powerful but nice rose. I can feel also the Green Apple at the opening and a Woody/animalic background. It is for me like the typical spicy rose/oud parfums but changing the oud for a different animalic wood. The performance is great. Good longevity and strong sillage the first 2 hours. When i spray It i can feel It around for one two hours!! I thought It would have incense... But not hwhw. It is unisex and i think better for night time.

Scent: 8.5
Longevity: 9
Sillage: 8.5
Quality/price: 7
Originality: 9
Versatility: 5
Global: 9

A Work of Art
Notes: Pink Pepper, Green Apple, Rosemary, Bulgarian Rose Oil, Turkish Rose Absolute, Clove, Patchouli, Labdanum, Ambroxan, Cypriol and Castoreum

A gorgeous and beautiful creation by Dominique Ropion. This opens with Green Apple and Pink Pepper but Apple note is more prominent to me and I get this note till the dry-down. As the scent starts settle on my skin, Rose note along with Cypriol which gives this a woody and earthy vibe. Patchouli and Labdanum are also detected near the dry-down. I also get hints of leather on my skin. Another masterpiece by Dominique with excellent performance.

Broken Promise...
Promise opens with an intersting slightly sweet, but also tart unripened apple with underlying airy rose support. As the composition moves to its early heart, the apple vacates, leaving the airy rose to take the fore, adding sanitized light patchouli and mild pepper support, with faux-oud-like cypriol rising from the base, growing slowly in its intensity as time passes. As the composition moves to the late dry-down, the cypriol has become the star as the rose has long since vacated, staying so through the finish, only allowing hints of resinous dry honey-like labdanum to peep through in support. Projection is excellent, as is longevity at around 12 hours on skin.

When I first heard about "Promise" being another Ropion and Malle collaboration, I was really eager to try the composition, as Ropion does his best work under Malle's direction yielding great results like Portrait of a Lady, Une Fleur de Cassie, Carnal Flower, and the first offering in the Malle Middle East series, The Night. The chances of another winner seemed pretty high, but there was one key note that was a potential showstopper... cypriol. Cypriol is used by many perfume outfits to approximate the smell of oud. It might have been a tell-tale sign of things to come when Malle priced Promise significantly less than all the others in the Middle East series that used real oud within. I would like to say Ropion was able to skillfully tone down the cypriol in Promise, but alas it is the composition's downfall, marring an otherwise fine effort by the master. On the plus side, the tart apple note really is handled quite skillfully, pairing surprisingly well with the airy rose and the initially supporting cypriol. It is only when the cypriol becomes the star about midway through the heart phase of development that the composition loses its balance, and loses the "promise" of being a major winner for Malle. I suspect that with some time, a perfumer the caliber of Dominique Ropion would have been able to get the composition balance in tune, but alas, as is, Promise becomes the weakest effort of the Malle Middle East series, and leaves this writer considerably wanting. The bottom line is the $390 per 100ml bottle Promise has some innovative tricks up its sleeve, but just can't keep that faux oud from obscuring its finer points, earning a "good" to "very good" 3 to 3.5 out of 5 stars, and a tepid recommendation outside of any price considerations. If one considers the price tag, "Promise" is a tough sell.

Dueling notes!
It’s all about the dry-down with this one. Initially you will be overwhelmed with competing notes, with the apple being the strongest. Although the tartness of the apple remains through all three phases, it learns to play nice with the rest of the notes. Expressly, the rose and oud, which also play large roles in the overall composition. The end result is quite a unique fragrance. I’m confidently signing off with the caveat of this being only for the intrepid frag head...

Virile Rose Oud
The opening of Promise hits me with a virile, but still quite convincing "oud" accord, the kind of nutty, leathery smoky smell of cypriol that is often used to reconstruct oud. The rose reaches out from the shadow very soon, along with a sour, almost fermented fruity note. The later sour note combined with the leathery cypriol, smells very much like ripened goat cheese to me.

The ripened cheese impression gradually dies down during the first hour, but the oud accord is still the driving force and maintains its leathery, animalic aspects. The rose thankfully does not automatically take on the sugary prune-like purple fruitchouli with the appearance of patchouli in the base. Instead, it keeps the soft honeyed floralcy of a true rose material. The initial fermented, sour note is also replaced by a bright, crunching green note that pops up around the 2-hour mark, albeit very subtle.

Up til now, I enjoy the plush rose note in Promise, the ripened cheese-like oud accord is also as challenging as it's original. However, it also has a fairly noticeable dose of a certain harsh, dry note, either from popular woody amber aromachemicals, or an unpleasant facet of cypriol? Either way, it's a note that I find heavily employed in many niche masculine or oud offerings to evoke the kind of virile, rugged image, which is an aesthetic that I personally do not appreciate.

Once Promise hits the dry down after about 5 hours, the fragrance becomes a skin scent dominated by these woody amber aromachemicals and an abstract clean patchouli-soft rose touch. The sillage is initially moderate, and retreats to be skin scent in the dry down. The longevity is almost 12 hours.

While I enjoy a few aspects of Promise, the unsubtle woody amber aromachemicals is a dealbreaker to me, even though it's not as forceful as many similar fragrances. If you happen to be looking for a virile rose-"oud" and don't have issues with woody amber aromachemicals, Promise might be an interesting fragrance to sample. But do not be fooled by the apple in the note list, as it's very different from a conventional pretty fruity rose.

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 5 months ago
Initially green spicy-fruity, this rather boozy and floral earthy-woody Winter fragrance settles to a dusty leathery base. Beast mode!
CaineCaine 8 months ago
Quite complex, with tons of cypriol and a prominent bitter apple. Very different from anything else. It needs some time to get used to it.
EmorandeiraEmorandeira 11 months ago
This is orient un a bottle! Apple, spices and rose over a balsámic and animalic background. Close to the oud scents vibe but without oud!
MrFumejunkieMrFumejunkie 3 years ago
opening was 'promising'. then all fell apart when the nuclear combo of cypriol/patch took over. half hour later i was gulping 2 ibuprofens.
HermeshHermesh 3 years ago
Smells like kerosene in combo with rose & apple. Plus some oud. These different notes fit yet relatively well to each other. Self-confident!

Dunkles Versprechen
by SmellGoodGuy
by Ch053n0n3
by Ch053n0n3

Popular Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle

Portrait of a Lady by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle The Moon by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Monsieur. by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Une Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Dries Van Noten par Frédéric Malle by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Le Parfum de Thérèse by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Rose & Cuir by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Angéliques sous la Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle The Night by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle