Une Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle
Bottle Design Frédéric Malle
Une Rose is a popular perfume by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle for women and was released in 2003. The scent is floral-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies. Pronunciation

Rose, Wine lees, Patchouli, Vetiver, Castoreum

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 07.09.2020.

Une Rose (NKNN)
• FREDERIC MALLE UNE ROSE •

Portrait Of A Lady by Malle is my favorite rose so far, so how does Une Rose compare?

Une Rose is a very 'red' rose. I wouldn't say it's sharp (it's not comparable to a Montale rose), but it's very bold. The rose has a fresh, tangy, almost sour tinge and it comes off really natural. It's a balance of being only slightly green and only slightly jammy, with more a punchy brightness, that I never came across before. There's a hint of musk underneath and overall it leaves a somewhat bitter or tart impression. Aside from the rose, you get this 'red wine' accord. There's definitely something there, but I'm not sure if I would describe it as red wine (which is a smell I strongly dislike), maybe a clear dry mild red wine or a rosé.

As it dries down, it remains very bold and rich and it does get warmer, but without getting much sweeter, which is nice for a change. I don't pick up on the truffle or even the honey that are listed at all. You do get a woody base, but the rose overpowers it all the way to the end.

This is extremely strong. I wore this side by side with Maison Francis Kurkdjian's Oud Satin Mood (a beast) and the Une Rose could definitely keep up with it. Finding an occasion for this one might be a challenge; I haven't tried it yet, but I would probably want to avoid warm weather, not so much for the scent, but purely for the performance. Men could pull this off, but I think it's most suitable for, middle-age or mature women who like to portray elegance or even opulence •
Rose run over...
With great anticipation I have tested a rose:

It begins with me tenderly chamomile with slightly sour prelude... must be the yeast...
Then the rose slowly comes through... unfortunately not strong, but still perceive....

Something annoying comes up... it's something sharp-sweet... Beavergeil??

My skin smells like a new car... New car filled with sweet hay... What's going on?

Now comes a delicate scent of red wine...

.....The rose is outside and was unfortunately run over by a new car..... several times...

I can hardly believe it and have to sniff at myself again and again... But I actually perceive "une Rose" as a new car filled with red wine and sweet hay on my skin....

In new cars the strong smell always makes me a little nauseous and unfortunately "a rose" makes me just as nauseous.....

No, unfortunately a Rose is nothing for me, very sad :(

Basic rose solifleur
Basic rose solifleur in the opening. Pure rose bouquet. After it warms up the sandalwood takes the stage with the memory of something peppery. The pelargonium or geranium maybe? There's some musk in there too, but as rose solifleurs go it's not exceptional enough to justify the price. It does last forever though.

May
2014

The Whole Rose
It was at a Frederick Malle counter that I first learned Malle doesn't make his own scents. Under his Editions de Parfums, begun in 2000, he wanted "the world’s greatest noses [to] compose exclusive, creative fragrances that would be sold under their creator’s names" and the Frederick Malle brand. If Une Rose is any sign, Malle succeeded. It's a simply stunning rose solifore in which you can smell not only the rose, but the stem, the leaves, the damp soil in which it grew. I'm not big on castoreum, but I love the note in this. Karanal? Hadn't encountered it before. It's said to be "dry, ambery, oily, woody, and there is a certain greenness to it" It works. I have some ISO-E-Super, also an ambery note, and thought I didn't prefer it. I adore it here. Not sure exactly what Blue chamomile smells like. The geranium and wine sediment are easy to detect in the top note, so Blue chamomile must lend the airiness. The star, of course, is the Turkish rose, no doubt the famous Rosa Damascena grown in fields that supply most of the world's rose oil. Patchouli and Vetiver add familiar woody and green notes, but as in any great perfume, the whole substantially exceeds the parts in Une Rose. It is a potent fragrance, long on projection, longevity and sillage. Not a shy, retiring flower in the least, beautifully it announces its wearers presence: enter rose in its magnificence. I loved it on first sniff then planned a visit to a Malle counter to see what else glorious he had up his sleeve. That's how I found En Passant, but I'll discuss that elsewhere. For now, applause to Une Rose.

Voluptuous Rose Magnificence
UNE ROSE by Frederic Malle

This is Astonishingly Gorgeous! Shamelessly carnal yet haughtily elegant! Magnificent! Opens with a potent blast of sun warmed, fully blooming mass of dark crimson rose petals, geranium, and rose geranium blossoms soaked in finely aged burgundy wine. The loamy-rich-cool-damp-fertile-topsoil scent of the earthy animalic vetiver/patchouli/castoreum accord meshes deftly with IsoE Super musk + dry-woody Karanal-type amber to form a unique olfactory dichotomy with the warm-herby-honeyed chamomile + the powerfully fresh, astringently-bracing pelargonium/geranium flowers blossoms soaking in fruity-oak-barrel aged burgundy wine.

The opulent rich and oily Turkish Rose absolute accord is suspended between this brilliant scent contradiction with the result being that all aspects of rose, from the fresh lemony-spicy-green rosehip buds to the fully blooming voluptuous petals warming in the summer sun, are fully realized and amplified to maximum olfactory glory here. This is elegantly sweetened only by that which is naturally occurring within honeyed chamomile and flowers. No extraneous added sugar exists here.

This perfume composition fills the nasal cavities like someone’s ears would be filled with the depth and complexity of hearing Beethoven’s 9th symphony live with full orchestra and chorus blasting away on a hyper-amplified sound system of a rock concert sitting in front row seats. This scent is absolutely fascinating. Visually this brings to mind the Dark Elf Queen reclining in her forest boudoir, sipping a finely aged burgundy wine on a warm, moonlit Midsummer’s Night.

The scent is not a linear or a traditional pyramid construction. This composition is brilliantly Spiral on me with the vivid push/pull between the animalically voluptuous accords and the freshly vegetal notes continuing persistently throughout the long life of this scent on the skin, both of the antagonists constantly orbiting the Rose which occupies center stage at all times. It is tremendously lively throughout development in the way the various accords dance with each other, and also against each other on the skin. In the universe of perfume, this composition is a very special and gloriously beautiful little solar system.

Skin testing is absolutely required for this one because the combination of crudely vulgar animalic and the celestially refined vegetal could easily skew too much in either direction depending on chemistry. For me on my skin, this sits squarely in the middle and I am madly in love with another divine rose masterpiece. Standing ovation and deafening applause to Edouard Flechier.

Drseid
My Reference Rose Soliflore...
Une Rose is a tremendous rose soliflore. It opens with the rose taking full front and center, joined by a fruity supporting accord that somewhat smells like subdued banana mixed with cedarwood. That said, the rose is the star, and the supporting notes compliment it nicely. This is a natural smelling fresh rose, without most of the dirtiness you find in many other rose scents. There really is not much in the way of development here... what you smell early on is what you get until the end... "The end" will take you quite a while to get to, as Une Rose has tremendous longevity and very good projection.

While Une Rose is the kind of scent I prefer smelling on a lady, it is wearable for people of both sexes. This is a captivating rose indeed, and I can highly recommend it to anyone seeking a beautiful rose soliflore. The main problem I have with the scent is its price-tag. $215+ for a 50ml bottle of a soliflore like Une Rose seems scandalous to me... That said, it is undeniable you are buying one of the best rose soliflores on the market, if not the best. So if you have the cash go for it, says I. I give this strikingly beautiful scent a 4 to 4.5 out of 5.

War of the Malle Roses 1
I like Une Rose a lot.

As someone who loves rose scents in all of their various forms, the opening reminds me more of my favorite Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose. Having said that, it's an infinitely more complex creation than the aforementioned, and I also noted with surprise that it contains Iso E Super, which the rose here seems to be enhanced rather than overwhelmed by. There's a gorgeous 'earthiness' going on ... as the promotional material states, it's as if the roots were pulled up with the bush :). It's faintly 'mushroomy'! The patchouli here brings faint herbal memories of Aramis 900 in combination with the rose, and rather dominates the dry down.

In all honesty, as much as I like it I don't find this one to be terribly original. I'm not sure I can justify its price. The quality of ingredients, however, is indisputable. Most used in the Malle range of fragrances are.

Too perfect to love
This is a stunningly beautiful fragrance.

I enjoy the transparent woody roses that pervade the market today, and I think Une Rose (One Rose) is among the best with its earthy under-tones. Even so, Une Rose is just a bit too perfect for me to love. And I just don't want to go walking around smelling like a flower.

If you like roses, want to smell like roses, or just one rose, definitely try this ... provided you're willing to shell out $200 for 50ml in the US (Barneys). For the price, I'm not so sure it's worth the purchase ... but it's definitely worth a sample.

For those who like dark, earthy roses, try BPAL Zombie which is available at a fraction of the price of Une Rose.

Green, Earthy Rose
To my nose, Frédéric Malle UNE ROSE is a slightly green and rather earthy rose soliflore. I agree with the manufacturer's card, which describes the scent as that of a rose complete with its roots. So it's not the rosebush-in-a-blender, clean, green rose snapped complete with leaves and thorns, which is quite a bit more common. Instead UNE ROSE is a dirty rose, slightly sour around the edges, like damp, fermenting soil. The geranium is not overwhelming, but I do detect it along with the rose.

There is some real depth and complexity here, but, limiting myself to one rose perfume per house ((-:), I'd opt for LIPSTICK ROSE instead. UNE ROSE is a must sniff for rose connoisseurs, but receptions to the distinctively earthy quality of this rose are bound to vary a lot.

by Entenradio
by Rajudaph
by Hirooz
by Hirooz

Popular Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle

Portrait of a Lady by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle The Moon by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Monsieur. by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Dries Van Noten par Frédéric Malle by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Le Parfum de Thérèse by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Angéliques sous la Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Rose & Cuir by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Geranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle The Night by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle