Une Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle
Bottle Design: Frederic Malle

Une Rose is a popular perfume by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle for women and was released in 2003. The scent is floral-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Top Notes Top NotesBlue chamomile, Geranium, Wine lees
Heart Notes Heart NotesISO-E-Super, Karanal, Turkish rose
Base Notes Base NotesCastoreum, Patchouli, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 07.09.2018

7.0 9.0 9.0 5.0/10
Rose run over...
With great anticipation I have tested a rose:

It begins with me tenderly chamomile with slightly sour prelude... must be the yeast...
Then the rose slowly comes through... unfortunately not strong, but still perceive....

Something annoying comes up... it's something sharp-sweet... Beavergeil??

My skin smells like a new car... New car filled with sweet hay... What's going on?

Now comes a delicate scent of red wine...

.....The rose is outside and was unfortunately run over by a new car..... several times...

I can hardly believe it and have to sniff at myself again and again... But I actually perceive "une Rose" as a new car filled with red wine and sweet hay on my skin....

In new cars the strong smell always makes me a little nauseous and unfortunately "a rose" makes me just as nauseous.....

No, unfortunately a Rose is nothing for me, very sad :(
4.0 8.0 9.0 9.0/10
Santalwalti
The one true rose or just a rose?
I like both the distinct rose perfumes, in which the queen of flowers dominates, and the perfumes, in which roses, along with other fragrance blossoms, only quietly mix with each other, sometimes just purr. In nature every rose, no matter if and how it smells, attracts my attention. I think there is something mysterious about the closed bud, while the opening flower brings a smile to my face. The fading rose makes me melancholic and is particularly beautiful to look at, because it reminds me of how transient and fragile our creation is. Roses in the rain or their leaves wet with dew in the morning are also a seductive sight. Or the rose hips - if they develop at all, if there were enough seeds - also they please me and especially the birds. If a rose offers a fragrance in addition to its individual colour and shape, it is the icing on the cake
Roses do something to us. You have a strong charisma.
Plus an experience I had in the park the other day. Our spa park, which is maintained and cared for in the most beautiful way by professional gardeners, has flowerbeds between the lawns, which are always generously and very variedly planted with magnificent flowers and perennials. A little boy drove ahead of his parents with the eagerness so typical for children on his pedalbike, suddenly threw it on its way and ran to a bed full of light pink and white rose petals. He kneeled down and gently took a flower into his little hands to smell it. It was such a beautiful sight...all walkers around noticed it and were somehow touched by it. But the parents immediately scolded me - I can't say whether they were afraid that the peck would break the roses or injure himself. But the little one did not let himself be put off at all: full of devotion his little nose sank into bloom for a while until he finally had enough of it and turned enthusiastically to his bicycle again. The spontaneous love of a child, which expresses itself so carefree, fascinated me.

A rose is attractive.

In a particularly beautifully arranged fragrance post of the last days I found surprisingly also a rose....in liquid form of course! UNE ROSE. (Thank you, dear Iris!)
Does the name of this perfume mean 'any' rose? Or is there the one, the 'only true' rose? I am very excited about this rose fragrance and to keep it exciting, I sit down with my rose in the garden and do not read the listed ingredients at first. So I'm just gonna spray off ... and... must first swallow, then take a deep breath. "Whoo! What the hell is that? You know how it is..." I'm going through my head. Just think about it and I'll know what looks so familiar to me. A smell I know too well from times when stomach upsets or colds knock on my door. I smell spicy, bitter chamomile blossoms! A juicy, green-yellow chamomile that still sticks with its feet in the damp soil, but enjoys a few warming sunrays from above. I sit on my wooden bench in the garden and close my eyes to let this very special fragrance life come closer to me... i want to understand this one rose, listen to it and follow it where it leads me.
Because, as I said, roses always interest me!

It must have rained in the night. The air is filled with the smell of a slightly swampy meadow where chamomile is in full bloom. The floodplain changes into an adjoining coniferous forest, from which pine scent blows over. I put my head back, pick up the delicious green smells of the moisture around me and feel the sun's efforts to shine, to warm, to shine every now and then between the rapidly passing cloud fields. The darkness in front of my eyes is interrupted again and again by small flashes; it's like a game - I'm waiting for it to happen again and again. But it is still too early, the sun is not yet able to assert itself against the gray-blue clouds in the sky above me.

And it is exactly this moist, shady, cool morning mood that a rose knows how to use. Thick drops hang like pearls from their pink petals, which are weighed down by dew like small lobes. It looks like this lonely rose is crying. All this smells wonderful in the literal sense, a restrained sweetness rises to my nose...enchants me. Everything is so fresh, so green, so moist and so alive... But the sun does not give up, continues to struggle and begins to tickle the one rose. And as if she had waited for it, she gives her consent... straightens up, gently opens her cup. Her blossom widens and exudes breathtaking, sweet-sweet scents... the wind carries her to the camomile blossoms. At this moment, the chamomile combines with a soft, mild and lovely patchouli. All this happens very quietly, ...and almost imperceptibly pleasantly cosy warmth spreads. The air is penetrated more and more by the meanwhile quite intensive scent of the rose. Also the deep green foliage and its wood want to have a say. Woody notes play an increasingly important role in UNE ROSE in the course of time, setting unmistakably bitter, acidic and earthy accents that give the perfume its endurance
This one rose takes all the other fragrance players with it. Unwanted they must follow her, are inferior to her. And that's a good thing. How beautiful a single rose can be - the little one in the park had already grasped that! A truly unique, almost magical pink-pink blossoms here. "Une Rose" has something sensual about it, she seduces me unasked with her heavy sweetness and accompanies me (or accompanies me?) for about 7 to 9 hours. Sprayed on for a short time she remains moderate, but if you want to show it to the others, then she has what it takes to become the Rose Queen
5.0 7.5 10.0 7.0/10
Basic rose solifleur
Basic rose solifleur in the opening. Pure rose bouquet. After it warms up the sandalwood takes the stage with the memory of something peppery. The pelargonium or geranium maybe? There's some musk in there too, but as rose solifleurs go it's not exceptional enough to justify the price. It does last forever though.

May
2014
10.0 10.0 10.0/10
The Whole Rose
It was at a Frederick Malle counter that I first learned Malle doesn't make his own scents. Under his Editions de Parfums, begun in 2000, he wanted "the world’s greatest noses [to] compose exclusive, creative fragrances that would be sold under their creator’s names" and the Frederick Malle brand. If Une Rose is any sign, Malle succeeded. It's a simply stunning rose solifore in which you can smell not only the rose, but the stem, the leaves, the damp soil in which it grew. I'm not big on castoreum, but I love the note in this. Karanal? Hadn't encountered it before. It's said to be "dry, ambery, oily, woody, and there is a certain greenness to it" It works. I have some ISO-E-Super, also an ambery note, and thought I didn't prefer it. I adore it here. Not sure exactly what Blue chamomile smells like. The geranium and wine sediment are easy to detect in the top note, so Blue chamomile must lend the airiness. The star, of course, is the Turkish rose, no doubt the famous Rosa Damascena grown in fields that supply most of the world's rose oil. Patchouli and Vetiver add familiar woody and green notes, but as in any great perfume, the whole substantially exceeds the parts in Une Rose. It is a potent fragrance, long on projection, longevity and sillage. Not a shy, retiring flower in the least, beautifully it announces its wearers presence: enter rose in its magnificence. I loved it on first sniff then planned a visit to a Malle counter to see what else glorious he had up his sleeve. That's how I found En Passant, but I'll discuss that elsewhere. For now, applause to Une Rose.
5.0 7.5 10.0 9.0/10
Voluptuous Rose Magnificence
UNE ROSE by Frederic Malle

This is Astonishingly Gorgeous! Shamelessly carnal yet haughtily elegant! Magnificent! Opens with a potent blast of sun warmed, fully blooming mass of dark crimson rose petals, geranium, and rose geranium blossoms soaked in finely aged burgundy wine. The loamy-rich-cool-damp-fertile-topsoil scent of the earthy animalic vetiver/patchouli/castoreum accord meshes deftly with IsoE Super musk + dry-woody Karanal-type amber to form a unique olfactory dichotomy with the warm-herby-honeyed chamomile + the powerfully fresh, astringently-bracing pelargonium/geranium flowers blossoms soaking in fruity-oak-barrel aged burgundy wine.

The opulent rich and oily Turkish Rose absolute accord is suspended between this brilliant scent contradiction with the result being that all aspects of rose, from the fresh lemony-spicy-green rosehip buds to the fully blooming voluptuous petals warming in the summer sun, are fully realized and amplified to maximum olfactory glory here. This is elegantly sweetened only by that which is naturally occurring within honeyed chamomile and flowers. No extraneous added sugar exists here.

This perfume composition fills the nasal cavities like someone’s ears would be filled with the depth and complexity of hearing Beethoven’s 9th symphony live with full orchestra and chorus blasting away on a hyper-amplified sound system of a rock concert sitting in front row seats. This scent is absolutely fascinating. Visually this brings to mind the Dark Elf Queen reclining in her forest boudoir, sipping a finely aged burgundy wine on a warm, moonlit Midsummer’s Night.

The scent is not a linear or a traditional pyramid construction. This composition is brilliantly Spiral on me with the vivid push/pull between the animalically voluptuous accords and the freshly vegetal notes continuing persistently throughout the long life of this scent on the skin, both of the antagonists constantly orbiting the Rose which occupies center stage at all times. It is tremendously lively throughout development in the way the various accords dance with each other, and also against each other on the skin. In the universe of perfume, this composition is a very special and gloriously beautiful little solar system.

Skin testing is absolutely required for this one because the combination of crudely vulgar animalic and the celestially refined vegetal could easily skew too much in either direction depending on chemistry. For me on my skin, this sits squarely in the middle and I am madly in love with another divine rose masterpiece. Standing ovation and deafening applause to Edouard Flechier.
7.5 7.5 10.0 9.0/10
Drseid
My Reference Rose Soliflore...
Une Rose is a tremendous rose soliflore. It opens with the rose taking full front and center, joined by a fruity supporting accord that somewhat smells like subdued banana mixed with cedarwood. That said, the rose is the star, and the supporting notes compliment it nicely. This is a natural smelling fresh rose, without most of the dirtiness you find in many other rose scents. There really is not much in the way of development here... what you smell early on is what you get until the end... "The end" will take you quite a while to get to, as Une Rose has tremendous longevity and very good projection.

While Une Rose is the kind of scent I prefer smelling on a lady, it is wearable for people of both sexes. This is a captivating rose indeed, and I can highly recommend it to anyone seeking a beautiful rose soliflore. The main problem I have with the scent is its price-tag. $215+ for a 50ml bottle of a soliflore like Une Rose seems scandalous to me... That said, it is undeniable you are buying one of the best rose soliflores on the market, if not the best. So if you have the cash go for it, says I. I give this strikingly beautiful scent a 4 to 4.5 out of 5.
9.0/10
War of the Malle Roses 1
I like Une Rose a lot.

As someone who loves rose scents in all of their various forms, the opening reminds me more of my favorite Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose. Having said that, it's an infinitely more complex creation than the aforementioned, and I also noted with surprise that it contains Iso E Super, which the rose here seems to be enhanced rather than overwhelmed by. There's a gorgeous 'earthiness' going on ... as the promotional material states, it's as if the roots were pulled up with the bush :). It's faintly 'mushroomy'! The patchouli here brings faint herbal memories of Aramis 900 in combination with the rose, and rather dominates the dry down.

In all honesty, as much as I like it I don't find this one to be terribly original. I'm not sure I can justify its price. The quality of ingredients, however, is indisputable. Most used in the Malle range of fragrances are.
6.0/10
Too perfect to love
This is a stunningly beautiful fragrance.

I enjoy the transparent woody roses that pervade the market today, and I think Une Rose (One Rose) is among the best with its earthy under-tones. Even so, Une Rose is just a bit too perfect for me to love. And I just don't want to go walking around smelling like a flower.

If you like roses, want to smell like roses, or just one rose, definitely try this ... provided you're willing to shell out $200 for 50ml in the US (Barneys). For the price, I'm not so sure it's worth the purchase ... but it's definitely worth a sample.

For those who like dark, earthy roses, try BPAL Zombie which is available at a fraction of the price of Une Rose.
7.5 7.5 7.5 8.0/10
Green, Earthy Rose
To my nose, Frédéric Malle UNE ROSE is a slightly green and rather earthy rose soliflore. I agree with the manufacturer's card, which describes the scent as that of a rose complete with its roots. So it's not the rosebush-in-a-blender, clean, green rose snapped complete with leaves and thorns, which is quite a bit more common. Instead UNE ROSE is a dirty rose, slightly sour around the edges, like damp, fermenting soil. The geranium is not overwhelming, but I do detect it along with the rose.

There is some real depth and complexity here, but, limiting myself to one rose perfume per house ((-:), I'd opt for LIPSTICK ROSE instead. UNE ROSE is a must sniff for rose connoisseurs, but receptions to the distinctively earthy quality of this rose are bound to vary a lot.

by sebjar