The Moon by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle
Top 81 in Unisex Perfume
The Moon is a new perfume by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle for women and men and was released in 2019. The scent is fruity-animal. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesRaspberry, Lychee, Saffron, Red currant
Heart Notes Heart NotesFrankincense, Turkish rose
Base Notes Base NotesOud, Leather

Submitted by PanAroma0815, last update on 19.09.2020.

Fruity Animal
Notes: Raspberry, Lychee, Safforn, Red Currant, Frankincense, Turkish Rose, Oud and Leather

Perfumer: Julien Rasquinet

The Moon starts off with a blend of berries, Raspberry being the dominant note along with Leather and Oud. The fruity accords take the ba k seat here and giving way to Rose, Incense and now a much prominent note of Leather. In the drydown The Moon gets smokey with fruity leather and to my nose it's similar to The Promise but The Moon stays sweet throughout the life of the fragrance. Overall love The Moon, a stunning, beautiful concoction.

Instagram: ovaissaleem_
Two cc's...
...and time stood still for a moment. 2 ml was exactly the amount of The Moon which I bought during the last sharing here on Parfumo. Unfortunately only 2 ml, because if I had guessed what to expect...

The Moon sets a new marker for me on my olfactory timeline. Breaks certain chains, so to speak. There is a time before The Moon, and a time after The Moon.
Thus, many things are put into perspective, and fragrances that seemed impressive to me before suddenly slip into a completely different light.

After I took a look at the amber elixir, I thought, especially considering the small amount, I would test it on the skin. I don't want to waste it. And wow...in the moment of the meeting of scent molecules and olfactory cells it comes to a synaptic firework that is unparalleled. And time actually stood still for a moment
The Moon opens with an incredibly strong, fruity and sweet raspberry. Also supported by the other fruits, which I cannot perceive in isolation. I could never perceive the raspberry so intensively with Tuscan Leather or La Yuqawam. Rather than green, unripe fruit. But with The Moon... absolutely impressive This is joined by a very finely woven oud. The association to cow stable and horse romance may only be expressed at the beginning, then it quickly becomes blurred, leaving a fine veil that gives the fragrance this beguiling animalistic touch...strong! In addition, what seems likeable to me is a discreetly flashing rose. Only in between and only every now and then. Too much rose in the fragrances rarely reaches me, but here the subject seems to be solved very well As the fragrance progresses, very elegant and soft leather joins the composition, giving the fragrance a rounded finish and expressiveness. Through all these more than harmoniously coordinated components, the fragrance does not really let go of you.

It has such a strong presence and the radiance is similar to that of a neon tube. This makes the Sillage as well as the durability breathtaking, which means that it cannot be worn everywhere. In my professional life this would probably be too much. But what the heck...Everything has its time and everything has its time. There are enough other occasions to wear the moon.
The quality of the individual ingredients definitely seems to me to be high-grade and exclusive. This is probably also the reason for the enormously high price. However, to what extent the price is actually justified, I cannot judge. For this I lack the expertise in the end.

Finally, I would like to build a bridge to the real moon. Strictly speaking to the Blood Moon, which is created during a total eclipse of the full moon.
The moon shines mysteriously red, often close enough to touch, and, just like the fragrance, stands for the following properties:

mystical and legendary
powerful and expressive
intoxicating and possessive

Have fun with The Moon and thanks for reading

Smoky, fruity leather. Love it
So, the first time I saw the notes for this perfume I was really curious to sniff it. Like really curious. Somehow it seemed though impossible to do it. You can only purchase the 50 or the 100 ml bottle, it does not come in the 10 ml travel size, there are no boutiques that carry it near me as it is an exclusive just like The Night and Dawn. Ordered a couple of samples from the internet but they were watered down, the color of the juice was clear so I didn't even bother, I just sent them back. So, pissed off due to lack of availability in boutiques and due to diluted online samples I did the "smartest" thing and bought the 100 ml bottle blind:)). Luckily, I love it and I have no regrets.

Opening: It starts off sweet, fruity, a concoction of red berries mixed up with a skanky leather accord. I assume that the leathery touch is given by the oud. I think the way Rasquinet used the oud note here is so that it displays more of the leathery facets of oud.

Mid: In the mid, the fruity sweetness goes in the background while the leather accord dominates. Beautiful leather, a bit rough and skanky but perfectly balanced by the fruity sweetness and some floral touches. Here we also get the frankincense that envelopes the composition in a beautiful smoke cloud. Smoky, fruity leather.

Dry-down: In the dry-down, it is still leather and smoke and also it gets more woody. The fruity sweetness remains but just as a supporting player to keep everything in perfect balance.

Overall I really love The Moon. I like it more than Promise which I also own. They share similar qualities but they are quite different. I feel in the late dry-down they are more alike, however, Promise is way drier and sour, whereas, The Moon is smoother and sweeter. They both play the leather accord game with Promise being more on the woody, sour and chemical side and The Moon on the smoky, leathery one. I prefer The Moon as I like that tiny bit of sweetness in my fragrances, however, I really think both are amazing. Promise is more complex and it changes drastically throughout, whereas The Moon, is a bit more linear. Two amazing offerings from Frederic Malle and the Desert Gems collection.

Apr
2020

Drseid
Shooting For The Moon... And Succeeding!...
The Moon goes on skin with a clean blast of red raspberry before quickly moving to its early heart. As the composition enters the early heart, the raspberry remains, now joined by fecal, animalic real oud oil coupled with a lush rose and smooth patchouli tandem. This stage lasts about an hour, before the the barnyard oud oil gradually recedes, slowly being replaced by a hardcore smokey, leathery oud wood chips approximation (likely cypriol derived) that joins what now is more of a "vague red berry" accord. During the late dry-down, the red berry and hardcore leathery oud wood approximation now completely take the fore, as none of the initial real oud oil remains, only adding a hint of dry sandalwood to the final mix to tone down the ruggedness of the leathery oud wood as the composition very slowly moves toward its finish. Projection is excellent, and longevity legendary at nearly 24 hours on skin.

After just coming off a mild disappointment with another of the Middle East series offerings from Malle in the past week (see the review of "The Promise"), it was with some trepidation that I approached the more expensive "The Moon." When I sprayed the composition on skin, I can only say that very few opens I have encountered to date smelled this good. The red raspberry meshes perfectly with the rose, patchouli and real oud oil. When sniffed up close, the animalic fecal aspects of the oud are in full-force, but unlike Malle's The Night where the oud oil assaults your senses throughout, The Moon tones the assault down to allow the raspberry, rose and patchouli to shine right along with it. The sillage is actually where the composition impresses the most, as perfumer Rasquinet skillfully has the fecal aspects fade to the background, just leaving enough to add depth to the rest of the ingredients. The end result is absolutely superb smelling and worth the lofty price of admission alone. Alas, things are not all perfect with The Moon, as about two hours into the progression when the remnants of the oud oil vacate and the hardcore leathery oud chips approximation takes the fore, the composition becomes more like others in the genre, with the red berry accord and dry sandalwood keeping things different enough to still standout from the mob. In this case, while the whole development smells great, I dare say the first couple hours are what this writer would love to bottle and cherish. The bottom line in the case of the $750 per 100ml bottle of The Moon, is it really *is* all about the journey (and what a terrific one it is), earning an "outstanding" 4.5 stars out of 5 rating and an extremely strong recommendation to all who can afford it.
Something new
A mall scent and no comment yet? All right, here we go.

I was curious to see if this representative from the Frederic Malle series would also need a time trial in order to make a final judgement.

Fact is, the fragrance starts quite differently than many other Malle fragrances, in the smallest way too crass, no, this one is fruity, somehow berry (and yes, definitely bearish), before it then makes an interesting turn. The fruity element remains present, but weakens over time and is increasingly overlaid by a floral component. This in turn extends from the heart note to the end and is gradually accompanied by a very fine leather. At the end rose and leather get stuck, this combination makes the fragrance soft from my point of view. Too soft for me, which is why I'd rather put The Moon on the female track.

The performance is quite respectable, eight to nine hours are in it and so it's perfectly ok. The bottle, on the other hand, I just find boring, from my point of view a 08/15 part, but in its honour I'd like to say that the sprayer does an excellent job.

A finely arranged scent, undoubtedly, for friends of flowery genres a found food. Even if he won't move in with me, I respect the high-quality design

DrB1414DrB1414 150 days ago
A scent blast from the Orient. Smoky, Fruity, Leathery, and Opulent. Perfect balance between the sweetness of the berries and oud facets.
BeOrtegaBeOrtega 156 days ago
Smells like Roja Dove - Black Tier

by DrB1414
by DrB1414

Popular Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle

Portrait of a Lady by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Monsieur. by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Une Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Dries Van Noten par Frédéric Malle by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Le Parfum de Thérèse by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Eau de Magnolia by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Geranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Angéliques sous la Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Rose & Cuir by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle