The Moon by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle
The Moon is a popular perfume by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle for women and men and was released in 2019. The scent is fruity-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesRaspberryRaspberry LycheeLychee SaffronSaffron Red currantRed currant
Heart Notes Heart NotesFrankincenseFrankincense Turkish roseTurkish rose
Base Notes Base NotesOudOud LeatherLeather

Submitted by PanAroma0815, last update on 12.05.2022.

You are my Moon
The Moon is a warm floral opulent perfume which meets an abundance of ripe red berries, mixed with high quality oud oil which is not skanky.

Sometimes, a perfume is much more than the sum of its notes .. and here is the case. The Moon is an oriental perfume, done by the book by master Parfumer Julien Rasquinet, which gets his inspiration from the Middle East. Julien lives in Paris and Dubai and he is very inspired by the Middle East culture so his creations have mainly oriental notes like oud, rose, saffron and frankincense.

Frederic Malle is an editor of perfumes, he finds creative Perfumers, discuss about an idea and offers them unlimited budget and then adds their work to the line-up. Julien Rasquinet is a young Perfumer who got his training from the Master Perfumer Pierre Bourdon, the creator of French Lover – FM, Green Iris Tweed – Creed, etc.

The Moon plays a leading role in the life in the Middle East, It symbolizes the beginning and end of all festivity. Yet in Arabic, invoking the moon is also an allusion to romance — ‘my moon’; a term that speaks of beauty and eternal devotion. The Moon is telling a celestial love story.

This perfume is part of the Desert Gems Collection which also include : Promise, The Night and Dawn and was created as a collection paying homage to Middle Eastern perfumery by the greatest perfumers in the world.

I know this is an expensive scent and I know that you can get Fidelis and have similar notes, but not all the times if you mix the same ingredients twice, you get the same result.

Desert Rose
During a day trip to Milan I had the chance to visit the Milan Cathedral and many other sights as well as a few perfume houses. The enthusiast in me has of course days before researched on the Internet which houses have a store in Lombardy and with pleasure I could determine that there is a small shop of Editions de Parfums.
Arrived I was as happy as a little child who enters a candy store, because the perfume houses of Frederik Malle are very sparse. The tiny store of only about 15 square meters was fully geared to the new release "Syntehtic Jungle" and decorated in the plump green jungle design. However, I was interested from the beginning only "The Moon", because it is otherwise very difficult to get alone to samples and these are admittedly also just extremely expensive. The fragrance had attracted me by its description and several reviews on video platforms and aroused my interest. I am a big fan of Editions de Parfums but have only been able to test "Promise" from the Desert Gems collection. So I was all the more interested in the high-priced fragrances, all of which are supposed to use real oud. I would also like to add that I received super friendly advice in the store and was even offered a chair so that I could sit down and test everything I wanted in peace without any pressure being put on me to buy anything. Quite big cinema! :-)

I sprayed The Moon with a sprayer on my arm, so that I could test it from the durability and sillage. My first thought was that the scent reminded me more of Promise than I would have thought. This may be due to the Turkish rose that prominently accompanies both fragrances, however, I can't shake the feeling that I also perceive a spicy pepper note at the beginning. However, this comparison is quickly invalidated as a lovely raspberry note comes to the fore. It is still strongly supported by the rose which holds back, however, more and more. The longer the scent is on my arm, the more woody and oriental it becomes, which I attribute to the oud. Leather I can hardly perceive in the course of the fragrance. The oud is definitely to smell but clearly less animalic than in his colleague "The Night" from the same collection, which I could also test. There, the oud already has an almost fecal note, whereas in "The Moon" it remains wonderfully discreet in the background and gives a spicy-oriental note. The durability is phenomenal! On my skin, the scent was easily noticeable for 15+ hours despite showering in between, and projected without end for the first 5 hours. The scent is generally very loud, however, I feel him at the same time not as intrusive.
When I later sniffed again on my arm I am the association of the shadow of a caravan that moves over a dune ridge not got rid of and had to think at the same time of Sting's song "Desert Rose". This describes the fragrance perfectly for me: Arabic singing and a low setting sun that captures the last impressions of the desert. Also, the name just fits too well and I feel transported to the Orient by the scent. "The Moon" is a wonderful rose-oud scent, with the rose taking center stage and supported by a pleasantly sweet raspberry. It is spicy, woody and smells very classy in my opinion. I can recommend everyone to get his nose to a sample, because this fragrance has me intrigued beyond belief.
I leave the closing words to Sting and "Desert Rose":
"This desert rose whose shadow bears the secret promise, this desert flower no sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this"

i love it
Beautiful combination, albeit seen and revised, of rose-oud. It opens with these notes in the foreground, accompanied by a very slight hint of leather and a sugary note which, however, are not able to reconnect to a specific fruit; however very pleasant, soft. Then it settles on the basic combo, a dense pink with powdery shades and a compact, round and never pungent oud. Aromatic and earthy hints, very very beautiful, maybe they are due to patchouli? boh, I'm too "ignorant" olfactively to separate the various notes well or reconnect them.
Ambers not received. Basically, a very very beautiful rose-oud, which never smells of chemical (and I would like to see well ...), remains round and very aromatic. I feel it unisex tending towards the masculine, perhaps more suitable for cold / cool periods, that is, in warmer periods but in the evening, not every day perhaps also because of the challenging price for me mere mortal.
Hate at first sight.
A few seconds after my first test, I had written off The Moon. Sensational, but not for me. Too loud, too overloaded, too sweet. The test strip ends up in the trash.
After a few months, I am repeatedly in a relevant luxury department store in Berlin to test fragrances. I want to give The Moon another chance. I keep the test strip with me for a while while I test other fragrances. The Moon gradually calms down and becomes quite exciting, but the squeaky raspberry note gets to me. The test strip lands repeatedly in the trash.
More months go by, I'm back in the aforementioned department store. The Moon. Shall I try again? All right, one last try.
My image of The Moon slowly began to change, the test strip appealed to me more and more. On the skin with it, let's give it a try.
I leave the department store, the sun is shining, mask can finally off, I smell my wrist. Damn, somehow it's good.
A short time later, The Moon was then allowed to move in with me.

The Moon opens with overdriven ambrox berries that seem slightly fermented sweet and sour. Not listed as a note, but definitely quickly perceived is cumin / cumin. Cumin was dosed great here, in my opinion, and is not too sweaty, but forms a great physical counterpoint to the synthetic berries.
In particular, in the heart note is for me when inhaling deeply a quite pleasant dirty-smoky oud to hear, again exquisitely dosed and embedded in the overall composition. Frankincense acts on me as a light lift of the already mentioned notes, rose rather background.
The berries are still present and literally dance on the underground of oud, each inhalation tingles. The Moon is especially uplifting at this stage and is a real experience. Julien Rasquinet shows here in my opinion skillfully how contrasts can playfully and yet harmoniously together.
The base of The Moon presents itself creamy, slightly leathery and almost powdery. An impression that lingers on the skin until the next day.

Still a few final words.
The Moon should be dosed sparingly in my opinion, one spray is more than enough. The fragrance projects like crazy especially in the first few hours and lasts as mentioned until the next day.
Especially oud purists and critics of synthetic ingredients will probably find their worst nightmare here.
However, those who encounter The Moon without prejudice and with a little patience can definitely look forward to a playful, multi-layered fragrance that is more nuanced than one might think at first glance.
Once a month
He opens his phone list, Astarte, he calls her. I'll be there soon. Are you free? Yes! He's driving, Linkin Park blaring from the speakers, air conditioning running... He's past Inca. He's getting off at the next exit. A few more roundabouts, then left, the iron gate opens. The butler opens the door, leads him into the patio.

His heart is beating up to his throat, his hands are sweaty. The butler places a small tray on the gueridon, on it he places the Amex. Then the gong sounds, the signal to go up the stairs. The door is open, patent stilettos and a high-necked dress, her silhouette pure woman. Lowering his gaze, he walks to the leather sofa. Knowing what to do, he disrobes, breathing heavily, leaning over the back of the sofa. She reaches into his mop of hair, presses his face into the leather - again and again...........the fear of suffocating and that leather scent whip him up.

Then relief, but still she holds his mop of hair, murmurs in his ear: once a month, that's all my wife has agreed to. Her breath smells of raspberries.
My best Christmas present
It was finally so far there was on 24.12 Bescherung, 3 weeks before I filled out my wish list and wrote as a last wish The Moon on (which I but never counted) because the fragrance is already expensive but my husband wanted and has made me a huge friends with the last package which I opened. The Moon is probably also a fragrance that few will like it polarizes immensely but I am him unrestrained addicted at the beginning he is very fruity me almost too acidic fruity but then after 10 min he is always better and better you just smell the quality of the fragrance, and towards the end he is just wonderful a mega mixture of fruit and a beautiful smoky oud, more just does not go and this fragrance is worth every penny.
And of course I wore The Moon the next day at Christmas dinner we were 8 people and no one liked the scent, although I usually get praised for my fragrances but I will wear The Moon with pride!!!

Thank you Julien Rasquinet for this masterpiece!!!
Mansoury
Once to the moon and then back again
This is not a normal scent, this scent catapults you once to the scent and then back again.

Frederic Malle always convinces me and this time he exceeded all expectations. The scent describes the moon landing in the cow barn, I have never smelled such a finely tuned cow barn oud note as in the Moon. The slightly fruity-tart note rounds off this fragrance.

More Orient does not go apart from the fact that the scent has a shelf life of over 24 hours, not to mention silage, everything around me smells like The Moon, regardless of whether a Br540 is buzzing around or an MFK OSM.
The Moon simply rolls over every scent. The only negative point about the fragrance is the bottle, as well as the packaging, which could be a little bit higher quality, at this price range you don't expect a cheap looking packaging
Nevertheless, this is my signature scent no matter if summer or winter
Lg Mansoury

Fruity Animal
Notes: Raspberry, Lychee, Safforn, Red Currant, Frankincense, Turkish Rose, Oud and Leather

Perfumer: Julien Rasquinet

The Moon starts off with a blend of berries, Raspberry being the dominant note along with Leather and Oud. The fruity accords take the ba k seat here and giving way to Rose, Incense and now a much prominent note of Leather. In the drydown The Moon gets smokey with fruity leather and to my nose it's similar to The Promise but The Moon stays sweet throughout the life of the fragrance. Overall love The Moon, a stunning, beautiful concoction.

Instagram: ovaissaleem_
Two cc's...
...and time stood still for a moment. 2 ml was exactly the amount of The Moon which I bought during the last sharing here on Parfumo. Unfortunately only 2 ml, because if I had guessed what to expect...

The Moon sets a new marker for me on my olfactory timeline. Breaks certain chains, so to speak. There is a time before The Moon, and a time after The Moon.
Thus, many things are put into perspective, and fragrances that seemed impressive to me before suddenly slip into a completely different light.

After I took a look at the amber elixir, I thought, especially considering the small amount, I would test it on the skin. I don't want to waste it. And wow...in the moment of the meeting of scent molecules and olfactory cells it comes to a synaptic firework that is unparalleled. And time actually stood still for a moment
The Moon opens with an incredibly strong, fruity and sweet raspberry. Also supported by the other fruits, which I cannot perceive in isolation. I could never perceive the raspberry so intensively with Tuscan Leather or La Yuqawam. Rather than green, unripe fruit. But with The Moon... absolutely impressive This is joined by a very finely woven oud. The association to cow stable and horse romance may only be expressed at the beginning, then it quickly becomes blurred, leaving a fine veil that gives the fragrance this beguiling animalistic touch...strong! In addition, what seems likeable to me is a discreetly flashing rose. Only in between and only every now and then. Too much rose in the fragrances rarely reaches me, but here the subject seems to be solved very well As the fragrance progresses, very elegant and soft leather joins the composition, giving the fragrance a rounded finish and expressiveness. Through all these more than harmoniously coordinated components, the fragrance does not really let go of you.

It has such a strong presence and the radiance is similar to that of a neon tube. This makes the Sillage as well as the durability breathtaking, which means that it cannot be worn everywhere. In my professional life this would probably be too much. But what the heck...Everything has its time and everything has its time. There are enough other occasions to wear the moon.
The quality of the individual ingredients definitely seems to me to be high-grade and exclusive. This is probably also the reason for the enormously high price. However, to what extent the price is actually justified, I cannot judge. For this I lack the expertise in the end.

Finally, I would like to build a bridge to the real moon. Strictly speaking to the Blood Moon, which is created during a total eclipse of the full moon.
The moon shines mysteriously red, often close enough to touch, and, just like the fragrance, stands for the following properties:

mystical and legendary
powerful and expressive
intoxicating and possessive

Have fun with The Moon and thanks for reading

Smoky, fruity leather. Love it
So, the first time I saw the notes for this perfume I was really curious to sniff it. Like really curious. Somehow it seemed though impossible to do it. You can only purchase the 50 or the 100 ml bottle, it does not come in the 10 ml travel size, there are no boutiques that carry it near me as it is an exclusive just like The Night and Dawn. Ordered a couple of samples from the internet but they were watered down, the color of the juice was clear so I didn't even bother, I just sent them back. So, pissed off due to lack of availability in boutiques and due to diluted online samples I did the "smartest" thing and bought the 100 ml bottle blind:)). Luckily, I love it and I have no regrets.

Opening: It starts off sweet, fruity, a concoction of red berries mixed up with a skanky leather accord. I assume that the leathery touch is given by the oud. I think the way Rasquinet used the oud note here is so that it displays more of the leathery facets of oud.

Mid: In the mid, the fruity sweetness goes in the background while the leather accord dominates. Beautiful leather, a bit rough and skanky but perfectly balanced by the fruity sweetness and some floral touches. Here we also get the frankincense that envelopes the composition in a beautiful smoke cloud. Smoky, fruity leather.

Dry-down: In the dry-down, it is still leather and smoke and also it gets more woody. The fruity sweetness remains but just as a supporting player to keep everything in perfect balance.

Overall I really love The Moon. I like it more than Promise which I also own. They share similar qualities but they are quite different. I feel in the late dry-down they are more alike, however, Promise is way drier and sour, whereas, The Moon is smoother and sweeter. They both play the leather accord game with Promise being more on the woody, sour and chemical side and The Moon on the smoky, leathery one. I prefer The Moon as I like that tiny bit of sweetness in my fragrances, however, I really think both are amazing. Promise is more complex and it changes drastically throughout, whereas The Moon, is a bit more linear. Two amazing offerings from Frederic Malle and the Desert Gems collection.

Apr
2020

BertolucciKBertolucciK 5 months ago
Spicy and animalic opening with the sweetness of raspberries. In the drydown, a slightly smoky rose with a smooth leathery and oudy base.
TRehfTRehf 6 months ago
In the same genre as Ombre Nomade by LV but less smoky and more fruity. Very good, but very pricy. Performance is outstanding.
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 1 year ago
A slightly smoky, gently floral/fruity, yet smooth leathery-woody Fall fragrance, with a rather pungent spicy/animalic fruity-sweet opening.
DrB1414DrB1414 2 years ago
A scent blast from the Orient. Smoky, Fruity, Leathery, and Opulent. Perfect balance between the sweetness of the berries and oud facets.
BeOrtegaBeOrtega 2 years ago

by Razvanyke
by DrB1414
by DrB1414

Popular by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle

Portrait of a Lady by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Monsieur. by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Rose Tonnerre / Une Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle The Night by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Dries Van Noten par Frédéric Malle by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Promise by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Le Parfum de Thérèse by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Eau de Magnolia by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Angéliques sous la Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle