The Moon by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle
The Moon is a popular perfume by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle for women and men and was released in 2019. The scent is fruity-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesRaspberryRaspberry
LycheeLychee
SaffronSaffron
Red currantRed currant
Heart Notes Heart NotesFrankincenseFrankincense
Turkish roseTurkish rose
Base Notes Base NotesOudOud
LeatherLeather

Submitted by PanAroma0815, last update on 12.09.2021.

i love it
Beautiful combination, albeit seen and revised, of pink-oud. She opens with these notes in the foreground, accompanied by a very slight hint of leather and a sugary note which, however, are not able to reconnect to a specific fruit; however very pleasant, soft. Then it settles on the basic combo, a dense pink with powdery shades and a compact, round and never pungent oud. Aromatic and earthy hints, very very beautiful, maybe they are due to patchouli? boh, I'm too "ignorant" olfactively to separate the various notes well or reconnect them.
Ambers not received. Basically, a very very beautiful rose-oud, which never smells of chemical (and I would like to see well ...), remains round and very aromatic. I feel it unisex tending towards the masculine, perhaps more suitable for cold / cool periods, that is, in warmer periods but in the evening, not every day perhaps also because of the challenging price for me mere mortal.
2020Antiope
Whoever wears THAT eats little children too! ..... Really?
A damning verdict for a fragrance; but how else do you entice readers to read more than a headline for a fragrance that is so obviously overwhelmingly rejected as uncharming!?

What then prompts me to write not just a short dry state, but a comment - pardon, a review?
Quite simply: the slightly arrogant appearance of the fragrance during its transformation, presented with a superior smile!
So please bear with me; I'll try to put this unabashedly confident and untamed rogue into a few words that do it justice!

...................................................................................................

The familiar, shrugging dismissive comment as a headline I have deliberately sent a little provocatively ahead, because this fragrance has initially quite a while so nothing that would be even remotely attractive or even ensnaring.

A stormy force of - literally - breathtaking smoke bombs are followed by a few obviously stray fruity nuances, which are immediately swallowed again by the smoke and I feel reminded of the typical smell in the air after a New Year's Eve fireworks. Unpleasantly touched, I ask myself who or what is supposed to be pleased with this fragrance; I've smelled a few things in my time, but they tend to come from houses from which one doesn't expect great creations, but which produce and market mostly synthetic run-of-the-mill fragrances. Mass instead of class; the main thing, sales!

Only the hint in the statement of Schalkerin to hold out for a while after spraying, has moved me to wait and see what happens. And that also increasingly unwillingly, because in the meantime, the peat cutters were also present in my four walls. The spontaneous horror on my partner's face as he entered the living room and his slightly annoyed, "What the hell are you experimenting with? Good God, open the window!" reinforced my belief that I had been given a totally miserable soak.

Yes, and then it actually became Christmas in May!

After about twenty minutes, the fragrance opens its magnificent gift boxes and presents itself as a smooth incense-leather fragrance, which is at once harmoniously sprinkled with dream-scented, but very gentle red roses and which lets its fruity components skillfully also only slightly charming occur.

Such a surprise has not come across me for a long time; I am speechless...
Uwe, by the way, also, because when he dared to come back in after just under an hour, I got a neck kiss and a compliment on the new fragrance! On my smiling answer, that is still the same, he shook his head in disbelief, gave me another kiss and trolls with a muttered "I do not believe" back into his workshop.

The beautiful incense flatterer has been with me all day and I can't get out of smiling. I MUST have this one; no matter what my wallet says about it...

Gentlemen - and men (!) - I wink and put them emphatically to the heart, here the absolutely needed patience in testing. The one or the other will decide stormy and with flying flags after this waiting time enthusiastically for the fragrance.
But remember, guys: at least half an hour before leaving the house spray on and not necessarily in the presence of the partner!

It's not a fragrance for ladies.

But for women!
Independent, non-conformist, spirited and wild women, for whom shyness is a foreign word and who go their way; no matter how many stones block it.
And why not explore the moonlight trail on a bike; who knows where it will lead?
To the stars and further into the deep universe...

Hate at first sight.
A few seconds after my first test, I had written off The Moon. Sensational, but not for me. Too loud, too overloaded, too sweet. The test strip ends up in the trash.
After a few months, I am repeatedly in a relevant luxury department store in Berlin to test fragrances. I want to give The Moon another chance. I keep the test strip with me for a while while I test other fragrances. The Moon gradually calms down and becomes quite exciting, but the squeaky raspberry note gets to me. The test strip lands repeatedly in the trash.
More months go by, I'm back in the aforementioned department store. The Moon. Shall I try again? All right, one last try.
My image of The Moon slowly began to change, the test strip appealed to me more and more. On the skin with it, let's give it a try.
I leave the department store, the sun is shining, mask can finally off, I smell my wrist. Damn, somehow it's good.
A short time later, The Moon was then allowed to move in with me.

The Moon opens with overdriven ambrox berries that seem slightly fermented sweet and sour. Not listed as a note, but definitely quickly perceived is cumin / cumin. Cumin was dosed great here, in my opinion, and is not too sweaty, but forms a great physical counterpoint to the synthetic berries.
In particular, in the heart note is for me when inhaling deeply a quite pleasant dirty-smoky oud to hear, again exquisitely dosed and embedded in the overall composition. Frankincense acts on me as a light lift of the already mentioned notes, rose rather background.
The berries are still present and literally dance on the underground of oud, each inhalation tingles. The Moon is especially uplifting at this stage and is a real experience. Julien Rasquinet shows here in my opinion skillfully how contrasts can playfully and yet harmoniously together.
The base of The Moon presents itself creamy, slightly leathery and almost powdery. An impression that lingers on the skin until the next day.

Still a few final words.
The Moon should be dosed sparingly in my opinion, one spray is more than enough. The fragrance projects like crazy especially in the first few hours and lasts as mentioned until the next day.
Especially oud purists and critics of synthetic ingredients will probably find their worst nightmare here.
However, those who encounter The Moon without prejudice and with a little patience can definitely look forward to a playful, multi-layered fragrance that is more nuanced than one might think at first glance.
Once a month
He opens his phone list, Astarte, he calls her. I'll be there soon. Are you free? Yes! He's driving, Linkin Park blaring from the speakers, air conditioning running... He's past Inca. He's getting off at the next exit. A few more roundabouts, then left, the iron gate opens. The butler opens the door, leads him into the patio.

His heart is beating up to his throat, his hands are sweaty. The butler places a small tray on the gueridon, on it he places the Amex. Then the gong sounds, the signal to go up the stairs. The door is open, patent stilettos and a high-necked dress, her silhouette pure woman. Lowering his gaze, he walks to the leather sofa. Knowing what to do, he disrobes, breathing heavily, leaning over the back of the sofa. She reaches into his mop of hair, presses his face into the leather - again and again...........the fear of suffocating and that leather scent whip him up.

Then relief, but still she holds his mop of hair, murmurs in his ear: once a month, that's all my wife has agreed to. Her breath smells of raspberries.
My best Christmas present
It was finally so far there was on 24.12 Bescherung, 3 weeks before I filled out my wish list and wrote as a last wish The Moon on (which I but never counted) because the fragrance is already expensive but my husband wanted and has made me a huge friends with the last package which I opened. The Moon is probably also a fragrance that few will like it polarizes immensely but I am him unrestrained addicted at the beginning he is very fruity me almost too acidic fruity but then after 10 min he is always better and better you just smell the quality of the fragrance, and towards the end he is just wonderful a mega mixture of fruit and a beautiful smoky oud, more just does not go and this fragrance is worth every penny.
And of course I wore The Moon the next day at Christmas dinner we were 8 people and no one liked the scent, although I usually get praised for my fragrances but I will wear The Moon with pride!!!

Thank you Julien Rasquinet for this masterpiece!!!
Mansoury
Once to the moon and then back again
This is not a normal scent, this scent catapults you once to the scent and then back again.

Frederic Malle always convinces me and this time he exceeded all expectations. The scent describes the moon landing in the cow barn, I have never smelled such a finely tuned cow barn oud note as in the Moon. The slightly fruity-tart note rounds off this fragrance.

More Orient does not go apart from the fact that the scent has a shelf life of over 24 hours, not to mention silage, everything around me smells like The Moon, regardless of whether a Br540 is buzzing around or an MFK OSM.
The Moon simply rolls over every scent. The only negative point about the fragrance is the bottle, as well as the packaging, which could be a little bit higher quality, at this price range you don't expect a cheap looking packaging
Nevertheless, this is my signature scent no matter if summer or winter
Lg Mansoury

Fruity Animal
Notes: Raspberry, Lychee, Safforn, Red Currant, Frankincense, Turkish Rose, Oud and Leather

Perfumer: Julien Rasquinet

The Moon starts off with a blend of berries, Raspberry being the dominant note along with Leather and Oud. The fruity accords take the ba k seat here and giving way to Rose, Incense and now a much prominent note of Leather. In the drydown The Moon gets smokey with fruity leather and to my nose it's similar to The Promise but The Moon stays sweet throughout the life of the fragrance. Overall love The Moon, a stunning, beautiful concoction.

Instagram: ovaissaleem_
Two cc's...
...and time stood still for a moment. 2 ml was exactly the amount of The Moon which I bought during the last sharing here on Parfumo. Unfortunately only 2 ml, because if I had guessed what to expect...

The Moon sets a new marker for me on my olfactory timeline. Breaks certain chains, so to speak. There is a time before The Moon, and a time after The Moon.
Thus, many things are put into perspective, and fragrances that seemed impressive to me before suddenly slip into a completely different light.

After I took a look at the amber elixir, I thought, especially considering the small amount, I would test it on the skin. I don't want to waste it. And wow...in the moment of the meeting of scent molecules and olfactory cells it comes to a synaptic firework that is unparalleled. And time actually stood still for a moment
The Moon opens with an incredibly strong, fruity and sweet raspberry. Also supported by the other fruits, which I cannot perceive in isolation. I could never perceive the raspberry so intensively with Tuscan Leather or La Yuqawam. Rather than green, unripe fruit. But with The Moon... absolutely impressive This is joined by a very finely woven oud. The association to cow stable and horse romance may only be expressed at the beginning, then it quickly becomes blurred, leaving a fine veil that gives the fragrance this beguiling animalistic touch...strong! In addition, what seems likeable to me is a discreetly flashing rose. Only in between and only every now and then. Too much rose in the fragrances rarely reaches me, but here the subject seems to be solved very well As the fragrance progresses, very elegant and soft leather joins the composition, giving the fragrance a rounded finish and expressiveness. Through all these more than harmoniously coordinated components, the fragrance does not really let go of you.

It has such a strong presence and the radiance is similar to that of a neon tube. This makes the Sillage as well as the durability breathtaking, which means that it cannot be worn everywhere. In my professional life this would probably be too much. But what the heck...Everything has its time and everything has its time. There are enough other occasions to wear the moon.
The quality of the individual ingredients definitely seems to me to be high-grade and exclusive. This is probably also the reason for the enormously high price. However, to what extent the price is actually justified, I cannot judge. For this I lack the expertise in the end.

Finally, I would like to build a bridge to the real moon. Strictly speaking to the Blood Moon, which is created during a total eclipse of the full moon.
The moon shines mysteriously red, often close enough to touch, and, just like the fragrance, stands for the following properties:

mystical and legendary
powerful and expressive
intoxicating and possessive

Have fun with The Moon and thanks for reading

Smoky, fruity leather. Love it
So, the first time I saw the notes for this perfume I was really curious to sniff it. Like really curious. Somehow it seemed though impossible to do it. You can only purchase the 50 or the 100 ml bottle, it does not come in the 10 ml travel size, there are no boutiques that carry it near me as it is an exclusive just like The Night and Dawn. Ordered a couple of samples from the internet but they were watered down, the color of the juice was clear so I didn't even bother, I just sent them back. So, pissed off due to lack of availability in boutiques and due to diluted online samples I did the "smartest" thing and bought the 100 ml bottle blind:)). Luckily, I love it and I have no regrets.

Opening: It starts off sweet, fruity, a concoction of red berries mixed up with a skanky leather accord. I assume that the leathery touch is given by the oud. I think the way Rasquinet used the oud note here is so that it displays more of the leathery facets of oud.

Mid: In the mid, the fruity sweetness goes in the background while the leather accord dominates. Beautiful leather, a bit rough and skanky but perfectly balanced by the fruity sweetness and some floral touches. Here we also get the frankincense that envelopes the composition in a beautiful smoke cloud. Smoky, fruity leather.

Dry-down: In the dry-down, it is still leather and smoke and also it gets more woody. The fruity sweetness remains but just as a supporting player to keep everything in perfect balance.

Overall I really love The Moon. I like it more than Promise which I also own. They share similar qualities but they are quite different. I feel in the late dry-down they are more alike, however, Promise is way drier and sour, whereas, The Moon is smoother and sweeter. They both play the leather accord game with Promise being more on the woody, sour and chemical side and The Moon on the smoky, leathery one. I prefer The Moon as I like that tiny bit of sweetness in my fragrances, however, I really think both are amazing. Promise is more complex and it changes drastically throughout, whereas The Moon, is a bit more linear. Two amazing offerings from Frederic Malle and the Desert Gems collection.

Apr
2020

Drseid
Shooting For The Moon... And Succeeding!...
The Moon goes on skin with a clean blast of red raspberry before quickly moving to its early heart. As the composition enters the early heart, the raspberry remains, now joined by fecal, animalic real oud oil coupled with a lush rose and smooth patchouli tandem. This stage lasts about an hour, before the the barnyard oud oil gradually recedes, slowly being replaced by a hardcore smokey, leathery oud wood chips approximation (likely cypriol derived) that joins what now is more of a "vague red berry" accord. During the late dry-down, the red berry and hardcore leathery oud wood approximation now completely take the fore, as none of the initial real oud oil remains, only adding a hint of dry sandalwood to the final mix to tone down the ruggedness of the leathery oud wood as the composition very slowly moves toward its finish. Projection is excellent, and longevity legendary at nearly 24 hours on skin.

After just coming off a mild disappointment with another of the Middle East series offerings from Malle in the past week (see the review of "The Promise"), it was with some trepidation that I approached the more expensive "The Moon." When I sprayed the composition on skin, I can only say that very few opens I have encountered to date smelled this good. The red raspberry meshes perfectly with the rose, patchouli and real oud oil. When sniffed up close, the animalic fecal aspects of the oud are in full-force, but unlike Malle's The Night where the oud oil assaults your senses throughout, The Moon tones the assault down to allow the raspberry, rose and patchouli to shine right along with it. The sillage is actually where the composition impresses the most, as perfumer Rasquinet skillfully has the fecal aspects fade to the background, just leaving enough to add depth to the rest of the ingredients. The end result is absolutely superb smelling and worth the lofty price of admission alone. Alas, things are not all perfect with The Moon, as about two hours into the progression when the remnants of the oud oil vacate and the hardcore leathery oud chips approximation takes the fore, the composition becomes more like others in the genre, with the red berry accord and dry sandalwood keeping things different enough to still standout from the mob. In this case, while the whole development smells great, I dare say the first couple hours are what this writer would love to bottle and cherish. The bottom line in the case of the $750 per 100ml bottle of The Moon, is it really *is* all about the journey (and what a terrific one it is), earning an "outstanding" 4.5 stars out of 5 rating and an extremely strong recommendation to all who can afford it.

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 9 months ago
A slightly smoky, gently floral/fruity, yet smooth leathery-woody Fall fragrance, with a rather pungent spicy/animalic fruity-sweet opening.
DrB1414DrB1414 1 year ago
A scent blast from the Orient. Smoky, Fruity, Leathery, and Opulent. Perfect balance between the sweetness of the berries and oud facets.
BeOrtegaBeOrtega 1 year ago

by Remusan
by DrB1414
by DrB1414

Popular Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Portrait of a Lady by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Monsieur. by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Une Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Dries Van Noten par Frédéric Malle by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Le Parfum de Thérèse by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle The Night by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Eau de Magnolia by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Angéliques sous la Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle Promise by Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle