Eight & Bob (2012)

Eight & Bob by Eight & Bob

Eight & Bob is a perfume by Eight & Bob for men and was released in 2012. The scent is fresh-floral. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesPink pepper, Cardamom, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesViolet leaf, Labdanum, Dry woods
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood, Amber, Vetiver

Submitted by ShinyAbraxas, last update on 01.10.2019

7.0 7.0 8.0 7.0/10

Honky-tonk bob
Yes, yes - the marketing story about this fragrance and meanwhile about this whole label is already well knitted. However, one would wish that one had been at least as creative in the composition.

Surely Eight & Bob is not bad made. The Eau de Parfum conveys a carefree freshness, paired with green and spicy accents and a woody undertone. Sometimes you think you can sniff out a bitter nutty nuance. The violet leaf provides that certain unisex touch, although one could also argue about whether this was not too much of a good thing and the pendulum thus deflects more into the feminine.

You can't complain about the projection either, because the scent is relatively rich, but by no means obtrusive. Nevertheless Eight & Bob tips over into the boring arbitrary to slightly annoying sometime in the course of it, because a synthetic appearing green tint in the grumpy dull base makes the corners of the mouth twitch downwards.

It was no coincidence that I came across Tingeltangel Bob from the TV series "The Simpsons", who still had a certain entertainment value at his first appearances, but later turned off more and more, even though he has a highly interesting background and belongs to the intelligent characters.
7.0 7.0 6.0 8.0/10

Good choice
...but only in winter. Seems heavy but very appropriate for going out in winter. The first moment of perception after application is indescribable. Worth every cent! However, gradually a disturbingly piercing, up to the frontal sinus rising effect presses on the quality, so that I can not call it the best fragrance I have ever had. Less is more? Sometimes I spray till I drop and am happy about compliments. Because they're safe. Must have fragrance!!!

Eight & Bob...
So, I've had the opportunity to test this fragrance extensively. I have mixed views on this one. Whilst I find it interesting, I don't think it offers anything new. It seems to be a mixture of citrus, herbs and sweetness. But then, it's also priced higher than say something like Habit Rouge by Guerlain. In fact, considering the house of Guerlain (even their designer line for men) I don't see why this one would be placed higher than that. That being said, the story is interesting, but I feel that this brand may possibly suffer from the Creed ego trip that feels they need a special story and to sell each fragrance. Based on it's own merits, it's not niche-worthy, and it would've been better at a lower price (in order to sit among designer-level fragrances), as it doesn't offer anything beyond designer level.
7.0 8.0 8.0 9.0/10

Eight is Great!
From the story behind it, to the way it is packaged in the box, this fragrance is contained beautifully. This is indicative of the fragrance therein. I expected this fragrance to be on the feminine side considering the notes but I was surprised it came off as masculine on my skin. I was also expecting it to smell like a vintage Chanel. I was way off. This fragrance kicks the ginger and citrus notes off and it stays the same throughout. The sweet, citrusy fragrance is backed up by a beautiful vanilla woody background. What I got in the opening occurred in the drydown. I think many purists would be turned off by that, but a more casual user would really appreciate this lemon honeysuckle fragrance. This fragrance only projects for the first couple of hours but it never goes away completely. As a skin scent I say it's a winner. It's unique and in the heat this might provide all kinds of pleasure.

It was created long ago and re-released but it doesn't feel dated at all. The notes are simple and well blended. Eight & Bob is a simplistic beauty that will often go overlooked.
7.5 7.5 7.5 10.0/10

EIGHT & BOB by Eight & Bob
When talking about Eight & Bob, you can’t help but ask the following question: can a fragrance be as fantastic as the story behind it? Eight & Bob has done an exceptional job at combining two elements to insure successful marketing of this fragrance. The first element is a brilliant story line, and who doesn’t love a good story? Second, smart packaging design that connects the story perfectly to the product in order to intrigue the consumer.

My first in-person experience with Eight & Bob was at Neiman Marcus to visit a fellow fragrance friend. She presented me with a book covered in small grey and white stripes that was entitled “Eight & Bob.” She insisted that I open the book and read the contents. Honestly, I had no idea what I was about to read, so I just started in on the story. After a few sentences, the story of Eight & Bob began to unfold. I found it compelling and I continued on to the story’s end. This was a tale of coincidences that seem unlikely but eventually turned into something marvelous. Not knowing anything about the contents of the “book” I held in my hands, I was pleasantly surprised as I turned the last page to find a bottle of Eight & Bob nestled within carefully cut pages as to hide the bottle inside the book’s body. The story catches your imagination and the packaging design related to the story is ingenious and appropriate. I find myself getting hung up on the question of whether or not there is any truth to the story of Eight & Bob. Is this story an accurate representation of actual events, or has it been carefully concocted to romanticize the fragrance making it more palatable to the fragrance buying public? Personally I was hoping for the latter.

If the story of Eight & Bob isn’t intriguing enough, there is one more complication. There is a rare ingredient that seems to be the nucleus of Eight & Bob, and it is called Andrea. The supposed creator of Eight & Bob, the son of a Parisian aristocrat by the name of Albert Fouquet, took a hiking trips through the Andes looking for plants to add to his perfumes. During the hike, Fouquet’s butler Philippe, who accompanied him on this trip, found a plant that the butler named Andrea. Apparently, Andrea can only be harvested during the months of December and January because of the limited growing area. The production of Eight & Bob is directly based on how much Andrea can be harvested during this particularly short season. This unfortunate set of circumstances makes Eight & Bob even more precious that the story itself. If Andrea is such an intricate part of Eight & Bob, why isn’t it listed as part of the notes of the fragrance? Enough about the story surrounding this fragrance, it’s time to talk about the juice itself.

I found Eight & Bob’s opening to be rather traditional and nothing surprising. It is a biting citrus blend of bergamot and lemon, predictably masculine and fresh. Interlaced with the citrus top notes came a spice accord that was subtle and somewhat perplexing. While ginger and cardamom are listed in the top notes, personally I felt that the reference to them was vague at best. There was a greater herbal presence not previously mentioned. In many great men’s fragrances, this is where we would find lavender, rosemary or thyme. Perhaps this is where the sacred Chilean Andrea comes into play. The heart thrusts forward with a host of sweet, nutty, almond-like qualities that are layered with resinous dry woods and set with powdery cistus. The dry down of Eight & Bob is where this fragrance tends to shine. It is comfortably tinged with sweet vanilla, a dollop of warm amber and an animalistic nod of sorts. It seems more likely that a nice dank patchouli brings on this musky quality when combined with aromatic sandalwood. From beginning to end, Eight & Bob was rather delightful.

Obviously, I enjoyed Eight & Bob as so did the people I encountered while wearing it. It has a straightforward, modest personality without expectation. For some, the simplicity of the fragrance could possibly be its only downfall. If Eight & Bob’s story is true and subsequently developed during the 1930?s, its modern masculine structure is reflective of the time period in which it was born. The fragrance’s use for day or night is a little noncommittal. It works perfectly for casual circumstances just as well as an evening out on the town. Eight & Bob does not boast or blabber but speaks quietly and softly like a Parisian gentlemen should.

Itchynose 154 days ago
A combo of citrus, flowers and ambergris for a very soapy, old school, masculine vibe. Classy but maybe dated to modern noses.
KingPin 9 months ago
My god, I know perfume can smell different on me, but this smelled like old soap and a faint whiff of vomit. Worst of all time.+1
4.0

Classic Line
by Bradigow
by Bradigow

Popular Eight & Bob

Eight & Bob by Eight & Bob Egypt by Eight & Bob Cap d'Antibes by Eight & Bob Nuit de Megève by Eight & Bob Mémoires de Mustique by Eight & Bob Champs de Provence by Eight & Bob Annicke 2 by Eight & Bob Annicke 1 by Eight & Bob Annicke 4 by Eight & Bob Annicke 3 by Eight & Bob Annicke 5 by Eight & Bob Rolls Royce & Bentley by Eight & Bob Annicke 6 by Eight & Bob