5th Avenue 1996 Eau de Parfum

5th Avenue (Eau de Parfum) by Elizabeth Arden
Bottle Design Susan Wacker
5th Avenue (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Elizabeth Arden for women and was released in 1996. The scent is floral-fresh. It is being marketed by Revlon. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with The One (Eau de Toilette)

Perfumer & Creative Guidance

Ann Gottlieb (Product Developer)

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
LilacLilac
Linden blossomLinden blossom
MagnoliaMagnolia
Lily of the valleyLily of the valley
Mandarin orangeMandarin orange
IrisIris
Tibetan muskTibetan musk
SandalwoodSandalwood
VanillaVanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 16.10.2021.

Perennial
5th Avenue Eau de Parfum was a blind purchase, which I have absolutely not regretted, on the contrary.
He mutates into a perennial favorite. The fragrance just always goes.
Honestly, I had not expected much when I ordered the 15ml bottle with an order simply times. He was on sale and I could not resist.
When I sprayed it on I got probably (according to my husband) immediately glitter in the eyes.
Yes, because simply beautiful nice.
The first 10 sec. it is strongly alcoholic, then it becomes immediately....ja what will it the. It is not easy to describe this fragrance, even to split which components from the rich fragrance pyramid are to smell at all. He smells just wonderful.
In terms of make it is Florabotanica yet quite similar, 5th Avenue smells completely different but somehow it reminds me strongly of him.
Fresh - Floral very slightly spicy but not sweet or slaying.
No, despite the listed floral meadow, this floral scent is not opulent, strong or heavy.
It is upbeat, delicate, creamy fine. Creamy floral fine rather said.
But all those strong flowers like tuberose, lily of the valley, rose or ylang-ylang are not present, don't stand out, stay gently in the background. Delicate fruit flashes but sometimes, timid and barely noticeable.
If I wear it, I feel very well-groomed, fragrant, elegant, not sexy, no wicked it is in any case. He is well-behaved, yes but not naive.
I would say that can wear any age. I with my 40 years feel even younger with him. But he is not a teen fragrance, for that he is too elegant.
Actually a perfect office fragrance. Unobtrusive and yet perceptible. H+S is actually quite good. Holds really long 6-8 h with me and he is one of the few fragrances for which I actually got compliments.
Like and gets a place in my favorite fragrance collection.
Surprise1908
.......trotzdem definitely not a Oma scent!!!
As I was walking my two dogs the other day, I noticed a wonderful fresh clear scent. Linden blossoms, they must be linden blossoms, I said to myself. I liiiiiiiove lime blossom scent. But funny, lime blossom season is long gone, isn't it?
In front of me walked an old granny with her walker. Should the old lady wear this great fragrance?
I have since learned to ask for a perfume that I like :)
So I called after her: you have a good perfume.
She stopped, turned around and we struck up a conversation. Despite her 84 years, she looked easily 10 years younger, she was totally in good spirits. She revealed to me that this fragrance is called 5th Avenue, that it's by Elizabeth Arden, and that it's on sale at the Horse four times a year. :)
I guess she would be a very good "parfuma". :)
She told me that she has been asked about this fragrance many times and has worn this fragrance for over 20 years. And only this one.
Yes, what can I say..... i smell like lime blossom now too. So lovely, so fresh, so pleasant, so bright, so clean, even in 30+ degree weather, you don't get on anyone's nerves with it. And don't worry, it's definitely not granny perfume. It's also certainly not man-killing, room-filling, exotic, headache-sweet, or beguiling. He is simply fresh, always (er)tragbar, simply a good mood maker.
Not to forget, the price-performance ratio is unbeatable.
Oh yes , I almost forgot, it reminds me a bit of Gucci Envy, which is unfortunately no longer available and which I also liked very much.
Spring is here
This fragrance was one of my blind buys. I know, I know, you're not supposed to do that. BUT: the odds were in your favor. The scent was universally reviewed as a sea of florals, and I love floral scents in their purest form. I like lily of the valley, jasmine, rose, and ylang ylang, have only worn J'adore for years.
What can I say, I had yet again a good hand!
So if you are also self-confessed flower ladies - this is also your fragrance. He costs a slim thaler and smells like a bouquet of spring flowers. Since it's been on the market for a while, I was worried not only that it would smell cheap, but also that it might come across a bit musty because of the musk. No need to have those concerns though, it stays nice and clean, floral and fresh even in drydown, not forever, but perfectly fine.
The only drawback would be in my opinion, that he is not good for layering, except perhaps with pure vanilla scents, because otherwise the lily of the valley could smell a bit musty and stale. One must him but also not mix - He is just as beautiful as he is.
The smell of my in-laws
5th Avenue I was allowed to sniff first on 25.12.12. My parents-in-law were looking for a nice gift for me and relied on the reviews of previously satisfied customers. I of course very grateful and friendly, sprayed it to test me on the wrist and was first satisfied. While not overwhelmed, but hey, you can wear it and so the money is not wasted. Well what can I say, the second time I sprayed it on properly Elisabeth Arden had convinced me and quickly this fragrance became an everyday hero. I have bought 5th Avenue at least 4 times and I would do it again and again! Moreover, the perfume also sought and found me, because the compliments to this fragrance are quite common, which I have not experienced with other fragrances. So a high on 5th Avenue, where you can always find the fragrance and let my everyday life end solidly!

A Flowery and Floral Flower
If you happen to be in NYC, Manhattan, and stroll on 5th Avenue, skirting Central Park Uptown to Downtown, you come across architectural beauties. For instance, the Museum of the City of NY, the Guggenheim Museum, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Rockefeller Center, Madison Square Park, the Flat iron Build, up to Washington Square Park. But I almost forgot to mention the Empire State Building, an art deco skyscraper in the city of New York, located in the Midtown district of the Manhattan district, on the corner of Fifth Avenue and West 34th Street. What is so important about this skyline? Well, if you take the cap off the bottle of perfume, and watch closely, you'll notice that its stylised form is precisely that majestic skyscraper, filled with precious golden juice.

First things first, I must say a big thanks to @Anessa, who introduced me to this gorgeous golden oldie and well-known classic through her fairytale described here on Parfumo. Who does not know this scent? Me, I didn't realise it. I have always seen it on the perfumery shelf, often also very bargain, but I don't know why I wasn't curious to try it. I mean, this is not usually the type of fragrance I would seek out to work. Bought this on a semi-blind buy based on Anessa's positive reviews on here... and I am not disappointed! This frag is everything I've read about, which is terrific. 5th Avenue vintage is the first of a series, many other flankers have been released after it, more and more contemporary, for both day, afternoon and night, including After Five, NYC Uptown, and NYC Only to mention a few.
About the scent, it is floral, no question about it. The perfumer behind it is Ann Gottlieb, who gave life to some beautiful perfumes as CK Man and Reveal, CH Chic, and MJ Bang.

There are a plethora of white blossoms, the overture unfolds with a clean and soapy accord from the lightweight citrus fruits, sweet mandarin and powdery bergamot. That soapy aspect soon melts with a bouquet of pungent linden blossom that smells sweet, honey-like, grassy, green and herby, if you ever cross an avenue of lime trees, you know what I'm talking about, the scent is intoxicating. Follows a dewy magnolia that I cherish and I can't resist burying my face directly from the blossoming tree in spring, lilac that smells of roses, milky almonds and green leaves, and finally the fatty muguet. On my skin, the fresh lilac and the candy muguet are the ones that I feel most, and I am glad since lilac is not present in many perfumes. It is like catching the breeze that blows through bushes of lilac with a carpet of muguet underneath. The opening might be a bit too strong, in your face, and you might be tempted to go away from that old-lady redolence, but it calms down quickly and mutes for the best.

The heart notes change into a bouquet of more coloured blossoms. There is a gentle trail of dustiness from violet leaf, the sexual sensation from the jasmine sambac and tuberose, and a hint of carnation, a tinge of fruity peach and some mild spices. These are powdery florals that are sweet but not too sweet, the kind of sweetness that can only come from flowers, the same generosity and nectar that bees use to make honey. Ylang-ylang enters in to stir the heart with a carnation. Nutmeg isn't substantial, and so does the clove, but there's just enough of them to give a slight underlying crisp note. It isn't screechy or too spicy. I also like that the fruity notes are there but done very subtle, the scent of peaches is really noticeable, light a fresh like a just-sliced peach and complements the bright rose with a touch of honey.

When the dry-down came within an hour, 5th Avenue changes to a barely clean, light floral that smells like my skin were rubbed with soft smelling flowers. I get some kind of scarcely woody musk with a hint of coumarin. The overall scent turns out as powdery and musky, not all too sweet and gourmand vanillic. The florals are dominant but at the same time expertly blended with creamy sandalwood and a little musk, amber accord and hints of vanilla to give it an overall sincere softness.

5th Avenue is not outdated even if it is nowadays a vintage, a bit floriental, as sweet as a caress. The floral character makes me reach for it during chilly Spring days and the whole Fall season, perhaps the latter more than the former. The sillage and longevity, based on my 2019/2020 production batch, are moderate making it a very flexible fragrance. It can be worn anytime and anyplace. There is a sweet creamy undertone to this fragrance that makes it feel comforting, but it is definitely not sickly sweet or gourmand. It is a highly wearable scent that exudes elegance, I would say the kind of grace that Americans think of French. Let's say, it smells like French perfume in the American version if it makes sense. There's almost a soapy overtone to the whole fragrance, but it's very subtle and lovely. Subtle is probably the best adjective I can think of to describe 5th Avenue - it's unobtrusive, gentle, delicate, tenuous, and polite, maybe even demure.

This review is based upon a 75ml bottle I own.

Stay well; stay healthy.

-Elysium
DonJuanDeCat
Too... many... flowers... !!!
Hello you enthusiastic snoopers! I'm back again and today I come to a fragrance that was probably dedicated to the most expensive street in the world (especially in terms of renting shops): 5th Avenue by Elizabeth Arden. I don't know if everybody knows the scent, but most people should know the street in New York, after all, there are all kinds of shops of the most famous brands and of course much more. And it's supposed to be quite expensive there, but I can't say anything about that for the time being, as I've never been to the USA, although I'd love to go to New York.

As for the scent here, I was once again begged by a perfuma,... uh, I meant of course, to test it. Well, it took a while until I got to the scent, because first I was in Turkey before, then came the current crisis with the corona virus and so on, but then I got a sample of another dear perfuma, so that I could test the scent in peace and above all in safety (both from the virus and from the women, he he) extensively.

Well, what can I say: It is a very nice scent, even if I didn't find it so spectacular! But that's not because the fragrance contains an extremely large number of floral notes and I, as a botanical expert, can only identify a few of the fragrances with detailed fragrance lists, but because these many floral notes are simply too many,... well... flowers... :D

The smell:
The beginning smells of lime trees and general green notes. There are also floral scents, especially from plants with white flowers. Sweet notes come from jasmine and lily-of-the-valley, and I also smell ylang-ylang, which will probably become even stronger and which already gives the fragrance a classically mature aura. The lime trees are quickly fading. In the background there are light, fruity scents, these are the peaches, but without looking in the fragrance list I almost didn't notice them. The scent becomes more and more flowery and there my problems to distinguish all these scents start :D
Due to the powdery aura I would guess violets and iris, a little bit roses, maybe even tuberoses, but a little later I would hardly be able to distinguish the few things I just recognize, because after ten minutes the fragrance now seems to mix all the floral scents together too much. However, it also smells quite beautiful and feminine, and the stuffy, as so many flowers can sometimes smell together, I smell for the time being only from the background, i.e. quite faint.
A little later, especially the weakly radiating flowers mix so much that I only perceive them as a whole. The Ylang-Ylang is still quite intense, which I can still recognize well. As for the sweet notes, I continue to tip for a mix of jasmine and lily of the valley, the powdery one should still come from the violets and iris.
Also at the end it smells mainly of Ylang-Ylang, only then the other already mentioned flowers come. The fragrance is generally gentle and not really heavy, even if ylang-ylang should have a sultry aura as always, but I would have liked it better if the fragrance had no ylang in it at all. But this is only my opinion, because I don't like ylang ylang in general. Otherwise a nice scent that you can test.

The Sillage and the durability:
The sillage isn't that strong in itself, but because of some slightly opulent looking scents like ylang-ylang you don't have to get that close. Nevertheless, it quickly weakens again, which also has an effect on the durability, as after five or at most six hours you hardly notice the scent on your skin anymore. At least this was the case with me.

The bottle! The bottle is rectangular, tall and has a solid, gold-plated neck on which the spray head sits. The cap is gold-plated and reminiscent of Tom Ford's columnar caps, while the lower part of the cap is milky transparent. Everything may seem a bit simple at first glance, but there is also something noble about it. All in all, the bottle is therefore quite nice.

Conclusion:
Soo, now what can I say about this scent? In contrast to the expensive-sounding scent name (i.e. 5th Avenue), I don't think that the scent smells expensive or very noble. It's just very flowery, of course it smells quite nice, so that especially flower lovers could be very fond of this scent, as it is not very heavy despite scents like ylang-ylang and leaves more of a spring-like impression. So it is a fragrance that one could wear very well right now.

Because of its gentle sweetness, it is actually suitable for going out, even if I would recommend it more for the day. In general the scent is quite nice, you ladies will probably like it even more than I do, but it is just that this is my personal opinion that the scent is not so spectacular. It lacks a little bit of recognizable features, although this is very difficult, especially nowadays (no, I don't mean the corona crisis, but the oversaturation of the market with at least 1 million different scents) and meanwhile every scent smells very similar to many other scents. Surely this was still a little different in 1996 when this fragrance appeared, but today it seems to me just as just described. But as mentioned before, I don't want to say that a scent can't be beautiful just because it doesn't look spectacular anymore.

Well, that makes this fragrance worth testing, especially because of its very reasonable price. I'm sure that you ladies might like it, maybe even every "age group"... :DD
Yes, it might sound clichéd if I think that ladies might like flowery scents very much... on the other hand, my cat got fish for dinner today... and not just any cat food with fish in it, no he got some of my dinner. And even though cats and fish sound clichéd, he swallowed everything and licked his plate so empty that it looked like freshly cleaned :DD That means that clichés can be true, so test the scent, you will surely like it :))

Soo, and that's it. Have a nice evening, everybody, and see you!

Drowned in Sweetened Soap
The version of 5th Avenue I was introduced to for the first time was prior to the changes that many classic perfumes had apparently undergone without any announcements. I appreciated it as a more 'modern', casual approach to the conservative style. Fairly balanced so that none of the traits would be prevalent. Prim and proper, yet far from the stiffness of the governess' ironed collars. Unquestionably feminine in its nature, but not the voluptuous type calling for the bees. While centered on the floral, it would be neither romantic nor innocent. Down-to-earth and self-reliant although discreet and tactful; quite recognisable despite the lack of attempts at attention-seeking.
Basically, a mature, composed, clean floral with a grounding woody base. The bottle well-matched, its iconic status owed to its elegant simplicity. I would even go so far as to say that for me, this perfume would have represented the olfactory idea of the early "emancipated woman" (I will not pursue this point to stay on the subject).

Unfortunately, the last edition I acquired turned out to be a personal disappointment after being worn across the four seasons on different occasions. During the coldness of winter, the florals were buried under thick layers of white soap. Spring brought forth the lilac along with the linden blossom and aqueous magnolia. In the blazing summer heat, 5th Avenue proved its tenaciousness with a single application over several hours. There was an oily appearance of aldehydes and bar soap, and I suspected the Ylang-ylang as it might come across to me in this way if it worked unfavourably. However, it did not bother me as long as it was "clean". The powerful base finally broke out in autumn. The unfaltering mixture of musk with amber and vanilla weighed heavily in my lungs while the sharp flowers that popped their pointy heads throughout the stuffiness strained my nerves. The smell seemed faceless and at the same time persisted in being noticed. Kudos to its explosive projection: applying twice on the waist required opening windows, which I had never experienced before.

In conclusion, as much as the flowers may stand out in the pyramid, the base would be most prominent on my warm skin, limiting this fragrance to early spring or the sunny winter. Against my expectations, it was not versatile enough for this kind of perfume to be kept in my collection.
Another fragrance this reminds me of is Sparkling White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor, even though the perceived similarity would be more in the type than the smell. If 5th Avenue were bar soap, SWD would be 'gorgeous' soap powder. Even if I had to dilute it in order to wear it comfortably, I would prefer SWD for being significantly less sweet and having a clearer aftertaste than Arden. Nevertheless, it should be noted that SWD's 'cleanness' is far from fresh, based on bitter neroli and a punch of ambered musk, and because of my personal association with facial or body cream, I cannot really imagine SWD worn other than in private scenes. As a member of the E. Taylor line, SWD possesses longevity and projection that would surpass 5th Avenue. Whether this tickles someone's interest or not, both fragrances may work better for those with lower body temperatures.
An elegant fragrance
5 th Avenue of Elizabeth Arden I got at Christmas 2012 from my former parents-in-law. It's been 7 years since we've been back!
The 75 ml bottle has been used from time to time since then, but I only needed 1/4 of the contents. But not because I don't like it, but because I have so many fragrances that it takes forever for a bottle to empty.

Back to the fragrance. 5 th Avenue is a bright, friendly floral scent with a light clean note.
predominant with all the delicate floweriness is the lilac, which is accompanied by magnolia.
The other scents are rather difficult to smell out, but overall it seems "flowery-lightly powdery", with only little sweetness. A hint of rose can be seen, the peach rather holds itself back. A little violet and iris, I think I can still hear. The fresh lilac remains until the end.

5 th Avenue is an elegant, flowery, clean fragrance for ladies of all ages, suitable for everyday use as well as for going out, e.g. for a good dinner. Here Elizabeth Arden has succeeded in creating a real all-round fragrance. It never gets too intrusive and you always smell fresh and "like a lady".
The durability is quite good and he also has some Sillage. But not so that one suffocates in a powder cloud (which I like however also with smells with many aldehydes e.g.). It is rather delicate powdery with a lot of elegance.

I'm sure I'll put another bottle here and hope it hasn't been damaged too much in the meantime!
Violetta1
The mixture makes the difference
From an action I tested this perfume. I think it smells really noble and classically elegant. I wouldn't have expected that with so many different scents. Now it's one of my favorite scents.

Just bite the Big Apple!
I was 20 years when I saw the first time the advertising on the magazines with a black dressed and very classy Amber Valletta to publicize this scent having the name of one of the most famous and important streets of the Big Apple. It was so charming and I remained impressed by the shape of this fragrance, very similar to a tower or a skyscraper.On my head still echo the famous song "New york, new york" and the Liza Minnelli's voice.
After a few years I bought on sale this scent and finally I could appreciate its sparkling bouquet: bright, radiant and very feminin, it opens with light citrusy notes and White flowers such as magnolia and a quite vibrant lily of the valley. After a few seconds you can smell the warmer heart, where the sensual Jasmine and a smooth tuberose not excessive or intoxicating are made more interesting by the lightly spicy nutmeg touch.
You can smell also a touch of rose and of a vibrant violet , but on your skin will remain for a few hours the base notes : a warm acchord of sandalwood, amber (not bitter or medicinal, but well balanced) and musk. On my skin I don't smell the vanilla, although I see it at the base of the pyramid.
It's a very classy perfume with a quite good sillage for a charming and modern woman , positive, dynamic and social.Perfect in every season mainly as daily scent, I recommend it mainly in springtime for its unmistakable lily.of.the -vally top note , so vibrant, so fresh and bright.
So, this one remains a classic by Elizabeth Arden nowadays too and at many drugstore of my town I often find it on sale! The price, indeed, isn't so high in comparison with the good quality.
After that....are you ready to bite the Big Apple?

ElysiumElysium 1 year ago
It isn't outdated even if it's nowadays a vintage, a bit floriental, as sweet as a caress. There's a soapy overtone, it's subtle and lovely.
AnessaAnessa 2 years ago
My hot skin burns the florals in a sec, the rest is covered clean by a loud&fatty bar soap monster (if you dare taking more than 1 spray).
Jazzy76Jazzy76 4 years ago
Bright, fresh, classy and modern.Very elegant the bottle. I remember the advertisment with a charming Amber Valletta in total black!

by Sunnyiland
by GreenTin
by Vai
by Vai

Popular Elizabeth Arden

White Tea by Elizabeth Arden 5th Avenue Royale by Elizabeth Arden Eau Fraiche / Body Basics - Eau Fraiche by Elizabeth Arden Blue Grass (1989) by Elizabeth Arden Green Tea (Eau Parfumée) by Elizabeth Arden Red Door (Eau de Parfum) by Elizabeth Arden Sunflowers (Eau de Toilette) by Elizabeth Arden Green Tea Lavender by Elizabeth Arden Splendor by Elizabeth Arden Sunflowers Sunlight Kiss by Elizabeth Arden Green Tea Cherry Blossom by Elizabeth Arden Green Tea Lotus by Elizabeth Arden Arden for Men - Sandalwood (Eau de Cologne) by Elizabeth Arden Green Tea Summer by Elizabeth Arden Green Tea Pomegranate by Elizabeth Arden 5th Avenue After Five by Elizabeth Arden Spiced Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden White Tea Ginger Lily by Elizabeth Arden Untold Absolu by Elizabeth Arden Blue Grass (1934) (Perfume) by Elizabeth Arden