Blue Grass 1989

Version from 1989
Blue Grass (1989) by Elizabeth Arden
Blue Grass (1989) is a popular perfume by Elizabeth Arden for women and was released in 1989. The scent is floral-green. It is being marketed by Revlon. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesRoseRose
LaurelLaurel
Base Notes Base NotesVirginia cedarVirginia cedar
SandalwoodSandalwood
MuskMusk

Submitted by Cincy, last update on 11.09.2021.

4.5
Beautiful memories...
... 1992, I'm a girl visiting my sick grandma. Before she got sick she was a good looking lady with curly hair dyed black. Now she is gone and I can remember her by the smell. I have no idea what it was but it was this exact scent.... very fresh-soapy, a bit scratchy and classic-vintage beautiful.
So near the sky
Summer 1976: The sun burned mercilessly, the formerly green lawns were dried out and brownish. Watering the garden or washing cars was forbidden due to water shortage. In this long, hot summer I got to know Bluegrass. A light blue box with a small horse printed on the dressing table of my ma...carefully I take out the bottle and spray...a spicy "blue" scent mists my senses. With my almost seven springs I had not smelled anything comparable.

Well, my ma never wore that scent, unfortunately, and most likely gave it away. Many years later I met this scent again, this one slightly changed, but the memory was still there.

Bluegrass is for me the scent of late summer when the sky is deep blue. The sun hangs heavy and golden in the sky and the air is clear. The insects hum sluggishly and melancholy spreads. This melancholy is wonderfully captured in this fragrance.

Bluegrass is a fragrance I will always buy back.
Green-floral-woody
In the last few days I had tested "Blue Grass" from 1934 and found it - despite green - beautiful. Yesterday and today now I wear the current (1989) version of "Blue Grass" and notice similarities and differences.

Common to the old and new version are the basic character "aldehydig-green-floral". While the vintage version then follows a powdery, it remains floral in the 89er. For that I can sniff out two of the flowers, lily and rose, which I can't with the 34, there's (only) a nice floral melange there. Floral-powdery is then the main progression of the vintage version. The 89 version gets a slightly woody note to the florals, and it also gets greener again (vetiver and laurel I think). In both fragrances, the clove plays with me hardly a role.

While the 34 blue grass ends in a cocoa tonka cream, the 89 grass becomes woody-spicy with a slight soapy note at the end.

Both continue to have a medium vibrancy and longevity in common and, not to mention, they have green parts that I like to wear, that doesn't happen that often.

The 34 scent seems more complex to me. But that may be because I can't define the florals apart with it, but I manage to do so to some extent with the 89....

Both are good spring/summer scents that can be worn for any occasion. The 34 scent gets an extra dot from me because I like the powdery and creamy base a bit better than the woody/spicy one - at least in this case.

I thank Serenissmia for the testing opportunity.

A sentimental journey
Blue Grass is the penultimate of my mother's fragrances, which have now moved in with me again.

Actually, all her scents were always a bit idiosyncratic, a bit repellent, distant in any case, sometimes a bit creaky and almost always gently melancholic.

She wore Mitsouko, Je reviens, Soir de Paris, L'air du Temps, Paloma Picasso's Mon Parfum, Jicky and Blue Grass. Jicky falls a little bit out of the line, but also only a little bit, because Jicky isn't really pleasing and catchy either. She wore Jicky only on really festive occasions and he stood her perfectly. It's still too big for me, but who knows, maybe it'll stand up to me someday.

Blue Grass is perhaps the most idiosyncratic and unwelcoming of all. I have never forgotten the scent, although I have not consciously smelled it for decades, because one day you could no longer buy Blue Grass. Just like that. So she used up her leftovers, and that's it. The fact that there was a new edition of Blue Grass at some point passed her (and me too - back then I just wore perfumes without any deeper interest).

Only here on Parfumo did I come across the name again and was able to remember the old scent colour, the sound of the scent, so familiarly that it was soon no longer a question: Should I encounter Blue Grass at any time at good conditions, then I will take it to myself - including the new version
And now it's here, the new version and I'm really surprised: It's so much in line with my scent memory that I'd probably need the direct comparison to spot differences.

The top note is as characteristic as before: very cool, cloudy, with a matt texture. Brittle and distanced lavender dominates, with strong soapiness and something herbaceous. Lily? I might. Rosengeranium? I'm sure it is. If I should assign a face, then it would be that of Greta Garbo, shaded look, flawless marble features, latent sadness.

The heart becomes spicier and softer in slow motion, the vetiver, with which I am not really good at, is perfectly arranged and is able to integrate and complement the spice with a hint of delicate grassy sweetness. A little powder, some soap. Gently. Melancholic.

A sentimental jorney.

I read flowery-green in the perfume description. No, that's not Blue Grass. Flowery-green, that sounds like light-hearted summeriness, like laughter of happy afternoons in nature or in the garden, like youthful freshness.

Blue Grass is ageless, cool, soft grey and gently fogged. And unmistakably quiet.
The Soap Box
Many years ago - I was still a child - an old lady gave me a bar of scented soaps from "Roger & Gallet". The soaps must have been lying in the cupboard for some time, because their scent had gone a bit. Nevertheless, this box was a real treasure of scents for me. Occasionally I opened it, took out every soap, smelled it and enjoyed its scent: rose and other flowers and also sandalwood. I had forgotten this soap box for a long time until I sprayed "Blue Grass" on it today.

A scent from another time. It's not like that anymore. You can't even call it old-fashioned, because nobody still smells like it. Even today's soaps smell different.

The fragrance has something pragmatic and serious. Everyday life is hard and wants to be mastered. First the work, then the pleasure. Perfume is only worn with a good dress on Sundays. And I want it to smell clean.

Nowadays this is almost a niche fragrance. I'm glad I got to experience that!

DorothyGrace
Blue Grass - Older than you think.
Blue Grass

I was given a small glass sample bottle of this as a child, probably in the late '60s but the sample could have been from much earlier. The sample bottle was large by today's standards and lasted me a long time as I only applied little dabs just to catch a whiff.

So was 1989 (as in the description) a big re-launch? I am sure I have read elsewhere that it originated sometime in the 1930s and I certainly had some as a child.

This review is for a bottle from around 2012.

Herbal and spicy, cool green vegetal springtime floral, with a soapy animalic musk.

Yardley used to make some herbal lavendar soaps; lavender and thyme; lavender and rosemary. Bronnley used to make a large wooden gift box of soaps with some herbal mixes. The bay in Blue Grass is quite strong, vegetal, sharp lemon, and soapy - with a feel similar to one of those herbal lavendar soaps.

The dominant florals to me are lavendar and daffodil with a tiny dab of carnation and tuberose along with an undercurrent of sweetness that is almost but not quite rosey.

As it drys it has a musky generic woodiness with a silky soapy sandalwood peeping through - still with the lavendar and crushed bay keeping it bright.

Brought up on highly perfumed herbal soaps means I am very familiar and used to that type of smell so I don't find Blue Grass unusual but I think many people will find it unusual and perhaps strange.

Moderate strength, sillage, projection, longevity.

Bottle purchased around 2012 (Eau de Parfum).
Batch number H2NA comes out as October 2012

by Aggeliki
by Aggeliki
by EvaK
by EvaK
by pudelbonzo
by pudelbonzo

Popular Elizabeth Arden

White Tea by Elizabeth Arden 5th Avenue Royale by Elizabeth Arden Eau Fraiche / Body Basics - Eau Fraiche by Elizabeth Arden 5th Avenue (Eau de Parfum) by Elizabeth Arden Green Tea (Eau Parfumée) by Elizabeth Arden Red Door (Eau de Parfum) by Elizabeth Arden Sunflowers (Eau de Toilette) by Elizabeth Arden Green Tea Lavender by Elizabeth Arden Splendor by Elizabeth Arden Sunflowers Sunlight Kiss by Elizabeth Arden Green Tea Cherry Blossom by Elizabeth Arden Green Tea Lotus by Elizabeth Arden Arden for Men - Sandalwood (Eau de Cologne) by Elizabeth Arden Green Tea Summer by Elizabeth Arden Green Tea Pomegranate by Elizabeth Arden 5th Avenue After Five by Elizabeth Arden Spiced Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden White Tea Ginger Lily by Elizabeth Arden Untold Absolu by Elizabeth Arden Blue Grass (1934) (Perfume) by Elizabeth Arden