Sunflowers (1993) Eau de Toilette

Sunflowers (Eau de Toilette) by Elizabeth Arden

Sunflowers (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Elizabeth Arden for women and was released in 1993. The scent is floral-fresh. It is being marketed by Revlon.

David Apel

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Mandarin, Melon, Orange blossom, Peach, Rosewood, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCyclamen, Orris root, Jasmine, Osmanthus, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Musk, Sandalwood, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 01.04.2019

5.0 7.0 7.0 7.5/10

Scent of optimism
A little preface: maybe I couldn't be so objective while I'm about to write about my mother's signature scent , because this fragrance is a piece of my heart and makes me remember many moments of my Youth and all the summer holidays I lived with her .
Anyway, I'll try to describe paying attention to the sensations that this rich bouquet makes me feel.
If this scent was a song, I think it will be surely "Sunny" by Bobby Hebb.: Yellow, rich, vibrant and having the name of the flower-symbol of summer, it coul be the scent of optimism.
At the opening, the fruity notes are fizzy and arrive to my nose strong and direct.
After a few seconds I smell the star of this composition: the osmanthus, rich and vibrant.
The base notes of oakmoss, cedar and sandalwood last on the skin for a few hours never resulting bitter or heavy. For this reason I think that this scent is perfect mainly in the good season, for its fizzy character , but you can also relight the summer Yellow fire in the cold season because the sillage of this scent is quite strong.
anyway, at an affordable price you can have the summer in a bottle whenever you want.
And now let me say my last words: this sunflowers bouquet is dedicated to you and your optimism, my unforgettable mum, wherever you are. I'll wear this fragrance for you.
7.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

Love after 20 years
1995 fresh after the Abi in the 1. job. I was excited, man. Of course as a newcomer you are shy and try to spy out someone among the pack of gawpers who somehow looks nice and to whom you can confide.

A young lady catches my eye, blond, pretty, busty ... yes, that could be it. In fact, after a short time we were very close together and she became more and more a friend. The only thing I didn't like was how she smelled ... to Sunflowers. She must have had an incredible wear because you could really smell her miles against the wind. At some point it was too much for me and I just couldn't stand this scent. That even went so far that I hated him.

20 years later, looking for a new summer scent, I pass Sunflowers again. Involuntarily I had to think of my colleague and just grabbed the bottle. A small sprayer, very careful.

And suddenly I couldn't take my nose off my wrist. It simply smells of sun, so wonderful, creamy that I can hardly describe it. The next day I took it and found my new summer scent. I'm definitely not going to bathe in it, though. Two sprayers are enough because Sillage and durability are monster-like. It lasts up to ten hours with me. Madness

QuercusAlbus
Is This a Yellow Perfume?
I do think the colour of the bottle and of the juice itself installs an extremely tenacious preconception of a 'fume. I have ^no^ doubt "whatsoever" though that if I tried this blindly I would conceive of it as yellow! The name of it would also of course have to be withheld in this experiment.

This is causing my estimate of the worth of high-end 'fumes to swing back the other way again! (I recently reviewed BtV ~Ambitious~ after it had convinced me afresh that they ^do^ boot.) I am quite frankly astounded at the nectary-muskiness that is right at this moment baptising my eager olfactory nerves. And all the rest: nice flowers & woods & ting-&-ting, all well-balanced & integrated. I read orris in the notes-list: that's no doubt a major factor in my liking this so much - it's never failed except once (Bella Bellissima's ~Orris Florentina~, which I find incorrigably dull; but I think it might avail to give it another run-out sometime).

But it's that musk that does the trick: I can almost ^feel^ it dripping, dripping, making a little olfactory 'plink!' each time. And in a 'fume of this price-brackett too!

... a few minutes later ...
Apologies: just got to come back this soon: this 'fume is ^amazing^! That muskiness is just ... ! How has this stuff y-slippèn beneath my radar all this time!?
5.0 5.0 7.5 8.0/10

Briarthorn
Still making me smile all these years later
I have a difficult time picking out one note. It opens very strong with a bright floral and citrusy sweetness. It's not candy or dessert sweet. Instead, the melon and peach give a sweet dimension to the Cyclamen and Osmanthus. There's also a citrusy kick in the opening.
After the opening fades the citrusy facets go away and the florals are more prominent with the sweetness fading more to the background. I mostly get the cyclamen and osmanthus still, but the rose and white flowers peek out too.
The dry down is woody and musky with oakmoss and a hint of sweet florals, but I can't pick out one floral note. It's just a generic sweet floral.

It lasts 12+ hours on me but becomes a skin scent after about 5 hours. The evolution of this scent is mild and the changes are a bit more subtle than many of my higher end scents. I can see why some people describe it as linear. I personally don't think it's linear (not like D&G Light Blue anyways).

This was one of the first scents I purchased for myself when I was 19. It feels like so long ago. Out of nostalgia I bought a new bottle of it recently. It smells just as I remember so the formula hasn't been tinkered with too much. Tonight, someone standing next to me told me I smelled amazing, seven hours after I put this scent on. A slightly sweet floral, with a woody undertone. He said that my perfume is the reason he'd been standing next to me all night during our inspections and that it was driving him crazy. I was surprised and flattered that this scent still smells so good on me all these years later. I actually think it works better with my chemistry now than it did back then.
10.0/10

Sunshine in a bottle
When Elizabeth Arden came out with this perfume I was intrigued by the name. All I could think of was "Do sunflowers really have a scent?" It didn't matter. I bought some anyway because it was unlike anything I had ever smelled. The following year I planted sunflowers just so I could smell them. They dont have a flowery smell, just a green herbal smell, which I did pick up (bergamont) in this perfume...so if sunflowers had a fragrance this would be it! This is a sweet,floral, fruity, strong fragrance that was truely creative
5.0/10

Awesomeness
Winter is the best time for SUNFLOWERS!
I wore SUNFLOWERS "back in the day," when we were all HAPPY and jumping into COOL WATER for the simple PLEASURES of it all. I even had the matching Kenneth Jay Lane CZ SUNFLOWER necklace!

SUNFLOWERS stands out to me among the 1990s mass-market fragrances. It was one of the strongest, sweetest, and most floral compositions of the time, and not a single sunflower or rancid seed was mamed to produce it. It was all about the impression of a happy, sunny sunflower-like place than about sunflowers themselves. I mean, look at those notes!

In my attempt to buck the trend of heavy orientals and sweet gourmands in cooler months, one of the perfumes I put in rotation for Winter was SUNFLOWERS. It smells as I remember it, and it's immediately recognizable. Quite frankly, white florals and I are not the best of friends, and a light hand and cool weather help considerably. Regardless, in the depths of winter, I now have a BRIGHT, CHEERY, and SUNNY scent, which is the best way to describe Sunflowers.
5.0 7.5 6.0/10

Prozac Perfume
Sunflowers was introduced in the early '90s, a time when fashion consisted of grunge and Prada-influenced minimalism and somber colours. I'm not surprised that it became a hit against this background, because Sunflowers is about as uplifting as perfume gets. While wearing it I never think, "Damn, I smell great," it's more that I simply feel more upbeat for having sprayed some on. Great perfume it is not. The top notes of melon, lemon, peach, etc. contain something piercingly synthetic that never fails to wrinkle my nostrils. Nevertheless, there is a dash of oakmoss and other dusky notes that balance the exuberant fruit and florals, thereby elevating Sunflowers out of the realm of body sprays and into the world of proper perfume. I wore it today to snap out of the kind of dreariness that comes with a week of on and off torrential rain, and it hasn't let me down. Sunflowers is so inexpensive that I would recommend giving it a shot, especially since it has fairly good longevity and sillage. Like me, you may find yourself a cheap little mood lifter.
2.5 7.5 7.5 6.0/10

Classic sunshine
Cheap is not necessarily a bad thing. Sunflowers sets out to prove this, and it does it so well.

Elizabeth Arden has some good, old classics in its repertoire and Sunflowers is no exception. It's a unique little scent, perfectly suitable for bright, sunny weather and women of all ages.

The top notes start off a little watery and strong, perhaps the most uninspiring aspect of this composition. However once the scent has settled on the skin you can appreciate what an interesting fragrance Sunflowers truly is.

Sweet melon and rich, juicy peach are the main stand-outs with a hint of powdery warmth. It's a mature scent, yet I don't mean that in a derogatory sense of the word. It feels strangely glamourous and elegant.

When I smell Sunflowers I think of sunshine, the beach and a glass of French champagne. There's a delicious rosiness in Sunflowers as well that you'd perhaps never expect. The rose is not dominant, but it's certainly there in full bloom.

The sillage and longevity of this bargain scent is truly impressive. I am quite taken aback by how likable Sunflowers is and how it has managed to slip under my radar for so long.
5.0 7.5 7.5 6.0/10

Nostalgia
I used to own this scent when I was much younger. I had an english teacher who was really cool and I loved her signature scent. She was a smoker - and this flowery aquatic scent in combination with cigarrete smoke was even better. I know, this sounds strange.
I wanted this scent. Went to a perfumery and tried some. And when I smelled CK escape I thought I had identified the scent. My parents bought me Escape for christmas (that I don't like any more at all today - too heavy and harsh flowers). But after wearing it a couple of times I wasn't sure any more that this was my teacher's scent.
Later, a couple of years after having left school, my sister got sunflowers as a present. She didn't like it - so she gave it to me and got my Vanderbildt (which I hated and still hate). And it was like a déjà-vu: THIS was my english teacher's scent! At first I liked it a lot. But after having used only half of the 30 ml bottle I was really fed up with it.
Today I still don't like it - but I understand why I used to like it: the sunny flowery notes, some fresh, aquatic notes, a little bit of spice. Very nineties. Can't really describe it in detail. Today my nose thinks that it is unbalanced and cloying, a little bit cheap as well.
Recently I met this scent again, seems to be the new signature scent of a friend of mine. Well, she's pregnant, maybe that ruined her taste ;)
Longevity was ok, as I remember (don't want to try again to find out).
I'll give it a benevolent 60% - just because of my memories. As I said I used to like it. Otherwise I would give it a lower rating.
5.0 5.0 5.0 5.0/10

cheerful pears
I used to wear this back when it first came out (when I only would have one or two scents at a time). Sunflowers actually don't have a scent (their seeds do if roasted, but that is nothing like this perfume), but the perfume captures their cheerful color quite nicely. I'm surprised to see so many notes in it - to me, it has always smelled like ripe Anjou pears with just a hint of something floral. Quite nice for something so inexpensive, although I am thoroughly tired of it & so won't wear it again.

Jazzy76 15 months ago
It was my mother's signature scent on in summer. Rich like her sunny personality.
On my skin I smell mainly the osmanthus notes+1

by Anninii
by Philosykos
by Philosykos

Popular Elizabeth Arden

Sunflowers (Eau de Toilette) by Elizabeth Arden Green Tea (Eau Parfumée) by Elizabeth Arden 5th Avenue (Eau de Parfum) by Elizabeth Arden Red Door (Eau de Toilette) by Elizabeth Arden White Tea by Elizabeth Arden Blue Grass (1934) by Elizabeth Arden Splendor by Elizabeth Arden Green Tea Cherry Blossom by Elizabeth Arden Ardenbeauty by Elizabeth Arden True Love (Eau de Toilette) by Elizabeth Arden Untold by Elizabeth Arden Green Tea Lotus by Elizabeth Arden Green Tea Lavender by Elizabeth Arden Green Tea Tropical by Elizabeth Arden Provocative Woman by Elizabeth Arden Blue Grass (1989) by Elizabeth Arden 5th Avenue After Five by Elizabeth Arden Mediterranean by Elizabeth Arden Green Tea Summer by Elizabeth Arden 5th Avenue Nights by Elizabeth Arden