Black Pearls (1996) Eau de Parfum

Black Pearls (Eau de Parfum) by Elizabeth Taylor
Bottle Design: Elizabeth Taylor

Black Pearls (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Elizabeth Taylor for women and was released in 1996. The scent is floral-powdery. It was last marketed by Elizabeth Arden.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Gardenia, Peach
Heart Notes Heart NotesLotus, Waterlily, White rose
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Sandalwood

Submitted by Lissy, last update on 28.06.2019

5.0 5.0 10.0 10.0/10

Lush, luxuriant and long-lasting
Before spraying this wonder you have to make a clear decision: Will I wear this scent for the next 24 hours? Because that is the deal you make. The lasting power of this marvelous and warm fragrance is beyond belief. I have never experienced anything like it. It does not mean that the fragrance is overwhelming or that you are reeking of it. But it goes on and on. So when you wake up the next morning, after you have worn this since breakfast, you are met by the most lovely, warm waterlilly and sandalwoody smell, which has settled during the night in your pillow. Now, that is what I call a perfume.

It opens up quite strongly. I was actually a bit uncertain the first time, if I had made a wrong purchase. But quickly I was dragged into the smell. It swallowed me and I did not mind. Rose, pear and sandalwood in the most lovely and convincing manner. The whole day it kept hitting my nose in waves, wonderful waves. And the drydown is even better.

Usually I would comment on the flacon, but in this case I am not impressed. The box is common and the bottle is, though it goes well with the name, not a masterpiece. In my opinion it looks cheap. But none of ETs Flacons strike me as beauties. They are what I call standard.

I wear this scent on special occasions. The sillage is good but I have not had any offended comments, so I reckon it is great for social events. If you are new to the world of fragrances this is NOT the place to start! You will be blown away, run off screaming and never make a second go for it. But I cherish this pearl in my collection.
8.0/10

Watery Flowers That Work
As a balsamic, chypre and bash-them-over-the-head-with-a-vase floriental gal, I find there's something about watery flower fragrances that generally makes me want to scrub them. Too timid and ingratiating! For white-necked swans wearing ballerina skirts! Whatever...ET's Black Diamond,however, is a watery floral I can wear. I think it's the sandal-y base, which provides a nice warm balance to the etherial florals, giving the fragrance a nice heft. Like Awesomeness, i have an older, frosted bottle. We have to thank La Taylor for many things she gave us in a long life of acting and histrionics, and I'd definitely list her perfume line among them.
8.0/10

Awesomeness
Look for frosted glass bottle
This is fun to have if you can find a sufficiently old bottle. Don't waste your time & money on the new version, which is in larger, clear glass bottles, such as the one pictured here. Instead, look for a small frosted bottled at estate sales, including the parfum mini, a 10ml EdP, and the 30ml EdP -- all in frosted bottles.

I've managed to pick up a gift set, still in box with a department store price tag from the 1990s, for about $7. I loved it as soon as I tried it and got rid of my modern bottle immediately. As far as I can tell, the frosted bottles are vintage. But to be sure, look for boxed gift sets in black flock with clear covers -- they're the real deal from the past, released to department stores for the Christmas season sales.

Vintage Black Pearls is a powdery, floral amber that wears like a floriental on me. I don't see amber listed as a note, but I get amber in the base, or maybe it's the vanilla & sandalwood giving me the impression of amber. It's not bright floral but not dark one either. Many people report vanilla & sandalwood in the base but I can't pick out those individual notes & accords. It's just very well blended in vintage, and the modern version is harsher by comparison.

Vintage Black Pearls is unique. It's the only ET fragrance that I wear, and I've tried most of the ET range. I'm happy to have it in my collection.

by PontNeuf