Diamonds and Rubies (1993) Eau de Toilette

Diamonds and Rubies (Eau de Toilette) by Elizabeth Taylor

Diamonds and Rubies (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Elizabeth Taylor for women and was released in 1993. The scent is floral-spicy. It was last marketed by Elizabeth Arden.

Sophia Grojsman

Top Notes Top NotesLilac, Peach, Red rose
Heart Notes Heart NotesSpices, Jasmine, Orchid
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Vanilla, Cedar

Submitted by Lissy, last update on 15.03.2019

5.0 7.0 10.0 8.0/10

Rosalie
An olfactory journey through the seasons
Convinced by Santalwaltis commentary, I decided to buy the rubies after the emeralds, and...I have not regretted it. But when I first saw the fragrance pyramid, I thought to myself, "Lilac and spices - does that work???" YES, it works, and how...but first of all one after the other.

Right with the first sprayer, spring greets me in the form of a lilac powdery lilac cloud. I could float on this cloud for a while, I feel it so beautiful. Soft, powdery and gentle...but quickly it passes by, and a shy rose blossoms tenderly under the sun, but only briefly, almost imperceptibly, it quickly makes room. Now there are other "scents" but WHAT could it be? In another fragrance pyramid heliotrope is enumerated, and this could fit, sensually warm something narcotic and summery he comes along. I don't even notice the peach, and also the orchid and the jasmine are rather reserved. It stays that way for a short while, spring still dances in love with the young summer, when the spices are already "pulling in". Now it's cosy and warm and I tune in for autumn. But what might that be? Cinnamon, pimento....I really want to bite into a speculoos, but unfortunately I don't have one...this note stays with me for quite a while now, and every now and then a "flake" of the lilac cloud is added, very delicate and not disturbing, and surprisingly fitting. In the other pyramid, musk, sandalwood and almond also appear. This could explain the smoky "end", a gentle smoke that runs through the cool days of winter and stays on my skin for a very long time.

Never before have I perceived a fragrance so intensely and clearly, and I am thrilled again here. But I would rather arrange this scent to the grenades, warm and deep.

The Sillage is in the middle, pleasant range with me, and I feel the durability as enormous - still on the next day the smell is present on my skin. I could also imagine this scent on a man - if he resists the lilac at the beginning...;o)

A very beautiful, high-quality fragrance, just right for this season, and for the money almost given.
10.0 8.0 8.0 8.5/10

Santalwalti
With you I can reach for the stars
Tomorrow I'm moving for three weeks, not to friends and not to the hotel, but to a clinic. During my upcoming rehab, I'm supposed to relearn how to walk. I am just glad that the many sitting and lying and especially the laborious walking with aids will soon come to an end - after all, I like to move outside in the fresh air as often as possible. Of course, when packing, there is also the question of a few good books, discreet jewellery and matching fragrances for such an occasion. Certainly there are long evenings or other times of idling, which I won't have to spend sweating or swimming in gym and swimming clothes. So I look at my range of fragrances, I decide to buy two rose fragrances, then a few bottlings that are waiting to be tested and that are easy to store. "Then maybe something fresh, neroli", I think, and pack my comforter 'Neroli Amara'. Before I close the drawer, my gaze falls on DIAMONDS AND RUBIES, an eau de toilette in which - how could it be otherwise - a rose also blooms. Only a few days ago I got it surprisingly from a dear perfume friend (thanks, dear gold), but not yet tried.

Even the dark red packaging looks promising..... i pull a slim glass bottle decorated with white pearls out of the box, open the golden cap and spray two or three times on my wrist. And what can I say? I am immediately fascinated, because immediately a sea of spring flowers surrounds me - so fine and elegant and so wonderfully fresh. I sniff deliciously spicy jasmine, wrapped in gentle-aromatic peach skin and smell lilac, lots of lilac in the lightest violet, which is not soapy but rather creamy powdery. Everything fits harmoniously into each other and flatters my nose. I decide to take the bottle with me and take it to the beautiful things that will come with me tomorrow. But my packing comes to a standstill because I am distracted and now devote myself completely to what continues to blossom on my wrist. A shy rose, which seems rather dark and spicy to me, makes itself quietly and only hesitantly louder becoming noticeable. Its slightly opened bud is ruby red and shines on a dry, filigree branch. With its dark green foliage it looks noble, is almost inaccessible. I smell something woody, too...yes, I think that's how scored rosewood smells. In terms of colour, the proud rose in ruby red sets a counterpoint to the light blossom of its predecessors, and yet everything fits together well, feels soft and mild for my nose.

The fragrance remains exciting, because delicious, Christmas-like spices captivate me. I feel like I'm in my father's bakery. Crispy brown cinnamon stars come fresh from the oven, are decorated with wafer-thin icing after cooling, while a new tray with gingerbread disappears into the oven.... Hmm, the typical aromas of anise, pimento, cardamom, fennel and cloves spread rapidly and bewitch me. They scented the whole room so that I feel warm and cuddly. Such a bakery is tempting for every nose. To avoid falling over the pastry right away, I try to distract myself, look around and discover various pots on the work surface: one is filled with forest honey, one with grated nutmeg, another with vanilla pulp and another with ground rose pepper. Wonderful - both the sight of the old earthenware vessels and the wonderful smell that emanates from them! The scent mixture reminiscent of a Christmas bakery, which I could like all year round and which is joined by a very, very delicate touch of smoke, is now setting the tone in DIAMONDS AND RUBIES. Only lilac and jasmine can hold their own and remain, while rose and peach say goodbye as quietly as they have come.

The persistent and intensely fragrant perfume, which is'just' an eau de toilette, sparkles and glistens irresistibly. It's like a fragrant necklace that glows in the dark for hours. The artfully perfumed gemstones used here constantly change colour. Sometimes they glow in light purple, sometimes in dark red, then again in refreshing yellow-orange or in mild green and most of the time they glow in deep golden brown. Depending on how one holds diamond and ruby in the hand, turns and turns them, a different, always new colour nuance appears. With this fragrance I may reach for the stars - and what a miracle - I don't reach into the void, I won't be disappointed. Here I am really given a fascinating fragrance experience, which accompanies me for up to eight hours and brightens my existence from somewhere. It may be a classic winter scent, but I can't do without it even in these late summer days.
5.0 10.0 7.5 9.0/10

Diamonds and Rubies...Release Your Inner Beauty And Sensuality
My immediate first spray was one of distaste. And that distaste lasted all of three seconds. It immediately morphed into a delightful love of this fragrance. Diamonds and Rubies is a woman's scent, a fragrance of responsibility,an all-business perfume, a scent of headiness that tells the wearer and the person that gets a whiff that this is a woman who knows exactly who she is-a confident individual who is aware of her self and not afraid to take the World on around her.
I have become a true fan of Sophia Grojsman's fragrances. At this point, I haven't found one that hasn't matched me. I am now searching for her scents deliberately and truly enjoy them.
The initial spray hit me with peach and lilac and was surprisingly creamy and rich. The middle florals intertwined with a mix of spices and lingered for a good 30 minutes before the final drydown to the base which I find absolutely delightful. On me, it's a mix of musk, benzoin and vanilla. It does turn powdery at the end of its run on me, which is fine, many frags do. Every now and then, a hint of a floral seeps through and reminds me of the flowers in the mix. Diamonds and Rubies is more of a complex perfume than I ever imagined it could be.
I believe it can be used year-round, anywhere, although it's not a go-to-bed snuggly perfume. It reminds me of a woman who enjoys her femininity, her makeup, her sensuality, using her wiles, using her choices. It embodies the essence of a woman. When I think of Diamonds and Rubies, I think of old-time Hollywood stars like Audrey Hepburn, Lauren Bacall and Marilyn Monroe, women who knew who they were and what they did and how they did it. They were comfortable in their own skin. They dressed for themselves because they were comfortable in themselves, and that's what this perfume is about. Being comfortable in your body, in your skin and in yourself.
I just wish the bottle was more reflective of the name. There should be faux Rubies added to the bottle, I think.
If you can, spray some on to try. It's not a fragrance to try on a test strip. You cannot get the full effect on a piece of paper. Once you wear this for a few hours, you'll see how complex and delightful it really can be on your skin. Diamonds and Rubies might just release your inner beauty waiting to come out and shine.
7.5 5.0 7.5 6.0/10

Warm & Spicy
I bought this a while ago and never gave it a proper review, well, today I wore it for the first time and I can say I like it. I don't love it, but perhaps it will grow on me?

The first spray is quite harsh and a bit sharp, then it smells --what I can only describe as-- "boozy". The peach combined with the spice notes give it a smell that reminds me very much of Glühwein, but this only lasts for a little while on me.
Then a lily of the valley note shines through followed by a shy rose and a deep almond wood note that settles its drydown on a base of amber-ish musk with a benzoin vibe.

A comfy warm and spicy scent that in my opinion is best suited for winter. Christmas would be the best time since it has a Christmassy feel about it. Festive red wine and spices, cozy fireplaces and happy people (drunk or otherwise ; ) having a comfy cozy time.

It's not my favourite ET scent. I only have three: Diamonds & Emeralds and Diamonds & Sapphires being the other two, and Diamonds & Emeralds is my favourite. It's a wonderful tuberose/white floral bouquet, similar to Madonnas Truth or Dare, but better.

Back to Diamonds & Rubies: Warm, spicy and sweet without being cloying. Not awesome but also not bad either if you're in the right mood.

Silage is: I am having a good time....come closer and be merry too!" -- Longevity is: "Spicy and loud for about 3+ hours, then it's a closer to the skin amber/almond wood cozy sweater." It's a winter-wonderland scent in a bottle, the price-quality ratio is so good it warrants a try.

Re: The bottle, I have read several opinions about the bottle, some negative. To me the bottle is not ugly, it's a minimalistic yet elegant design that manages to convey Mrs Taylor's penchant for gem stones without that it looks tacky or *girly*. It's actually a 'clean' shaped, classy style bottle design that is quite timeless in my opinion.

Im Dunkeln ist gut Funkeln
by Santalwalti
Sorry, meine Diamanten ruhen gerade im Tresor....  (Rosa Roter Korsar)
noch im November unermüdlich blühend, Rosa Suttersgold