Passion (1987) Eau de Toilette

Passion (Eau de Toilette) by Elizabeth Taylor
Bottle Design: Simon Jeruchim

Passion (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Elizabeth Taylor for women and was released in 1987. The scent is spicy-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. It was last marketed by Elizabeth Arden.

Top Notes Top NotesJasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Ylang-ylang
Heart Notes Heart NotesSpices, Musk
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood, Frankincense, Cedarwood

Submitted by Bergamotte, last update on 13.10.2019

SorceressSorceress 6 years ago

„Passion-Sashay Yourself Into Stunning, Confident, Deliciousness”

OrianeOriane 8 months ago

„No Passion for Passion”

5.0 4.0 4.0 3.0/10

No Passion for Passion
Passion is the second Elizabeth Taylor fragrance I have purchased. The first was Diamonds and Rubies in either an EdT or an EdP formulation. I do not recall exactly. It was a new bottle, and given the notes, I expected it to be a love or at least a strong like, but sadly, I must tell you dear readers that it smelt like hairspray to me and not good hairspray either.

I decided I might find a vintage Elizabeth Taylor fragrance a lot more appealing, though. This time I opted for Passion in the EdT formulation. I purchased two vintage bottles from the first production run. The first bottle was simply unwearable. Whatever was left of the fragrance smelt more like old cardboard than a voluptuous Oriental. The second, smaller bottle was wearable, but I did not like it as much as I hoped again based on the listed notes. I cannot identify it as an Oriental at all. I am not sure how I would categorise it to be honest.

I cannot pick out any of the wonderful notes listed in the pyramid. It smells like a very generic sort of fragrance. I find it neither spicy nor animalic. It is not particularly floral either. I am disappointed. Ms. Taylor was anything but ordinary; unfortunately, I cannot say the same for her fragrances, and I doubt I will try any more of them. They seem to be very low quality compared to a lot of other chemist shop scents. For example, Revlon Ciara is a very affordable fragrance, yet it is so much better than the Taylor fragrances. Passion's longevity is reasonable, but sillage and projection are very low.

As for the bottles, they are a bit kitschy, but I like them nonetheless. However, Passion's bottle feels so cheaply made that it could crack apart in my hand if I squeezed it too tightly, but I still like it.

I am so sorry to give a thumbs down to this fragrance. I wanted to be able to rate it neutral at least, but it would be less than honest of me to rate it neutral. Perhaps if I had smelt it whence it was first introduced, I would have liked it more. It has not aged well at all. By the way, the liquid does seem to be coloured purple, so be careful of it around your clothing if you decide to try it.

Fragrance: 2/10

Projection: 2/10

Sillage: 2/10

Longevity: 5/10
6.0 9.0 10.0 9.0/10

Those purple eyes...
Passion comes from a time when putting your name on a perfume bottle wasn't just marketing or cashing in, or following trends. It comes from an era when a famous person would sign a perfume that they would actually wear and take pride for creating. A perfume with Elizabeth Taylor's name was a major happening back in the day, and smelling my vintage bottle I have no doubt that a) Liz was definitely a perfume lover and user, b) she must have participated actively in its conception and c) she was determined to put Passion up there with Coco, Mystère, Poison and the other expensive best sellers. This ain't a cheapo, though it's price might make you think so.

Having no idea how the current formula fares, Passion smells expensive, glamorous. Ingredients wise, they are of good quality, perfectly blended to compliment a fur coat, a diamond necklace, a beautiful dress. A soirée, a gala, and why not, ladies who lunch; perfect occasions to wear Passion.

On my skin the perfume feels more like a floral chypre rather than oriental. The flowers are blended so that not one stands out, apart from maybe the creamy tuberose but mostly gardenia. The incense comes and goes, making the florals smoky and with the honey it gives of a beeswax sweetness. The heliotrope with its powdery beauty is highly present on my skin, making the whole feel decadent, narcotic. The drydown is predominantly strong oakmoss with a hint of vetiver and patchouli, and the sandalwood feels very creamy and buttery. Mysore? Why not?
All of this, the creamy languorous florals, the green oakmoss, the buttery sandalwood, heliotrope, comes wrapped in an exquisite leather that is drenched in civet, giving of an irresistible animality to the entire composition that feels rough and strong, romantic and gentle at the same time. Just like Liz.
Amazing sillage and longevity, easily fills a room making the wearer the center of attention, something that I personally love. Smelling it blind I would never have thought of it as a celebrity or drugstore fragrance; instead it is in the same quality ballpark as any designer scent from the decade.
If you enjoy drama powerhouses and are ok with just a bit too much animalics, this is for you. Highly unisex today, this belongs in all vintage collections, especially chypre lovers and anyone who enjoys the golden decade, baroque scents and a good perfume in general.

Review based on edt bottles, from 1987 and 1990; first formula with purple stone cap and yellow pattern on bottle with no reform between them.

Sexy Purple Civet.
Just bought it, seems like it will be a perfect, bold note and breath of passion. It has all marks of a great, bold perfume, the civet, the incense, the leather, the musk, the white flowers, the spices and green notes. I'm surprised men do not buy this more. Besides Kuoros not many perfumes have three sexy notes as leather, civet and musk together.
Straight away I get the sandalwood, incense and leather, and that civet too.
Its musky, leathery, and dreamy, it should be considered a unisex fragrance and not just female. Images of Liz Taylor quickly came to mind, her elegant, chic lifestyle, makeup, and handbags, but mostly the sexy, wild, men she must have had. It's very European, very masculine, like a vintage collectible, I love it. It smells like a sexy man in a leather jacket, it is not a girly, woman perfume at all..it screams I sleep with many men and I am drenched in their musk. It is very masculine...
But I also felt a nasty, disgusting, pungent dog thing going on, must be the civet and spices, oh my, I need to sleep on it.

Its disgusting and I think I like it....its sexy, dirty, animal musk. Perfect for sexual fantasies, animal desires, men, leather, sex. It's absolutely perfect for layering with flower notes. I don't sense more than the incense, the sandalwood, the musk, the leather. This could very well be a male fragrance, for certain. Don't overspray, be careful, I can still smell it after a cold bath, it's strong stuff.
I'm surprised it's not considered to be unisex, surprised it's not in the animalic, leather group before anything. Love this potent, animal sex musk, this leathery, raunchy,sex- musk. It's no wonder its called ''Passion''.
The incense and sandalwood draw in the spiritual side to this sexual fantasy.
This perfume is very much pheromone-like, as I'm learning, like a mating, I'm in heat, come here and mate with me, vibe, it's from the civet, I suppose, first time I've experienced this.
Song- Madonna, ''Erotica''
10.0 7.5 10.0 9.0/10

Passion-Sashay Yourself Into Stunning, Confident, Deliciousness
Pow! First spray...what an animal Liz Taylor created with this juice. Passions, animals on the prey, musk and incense all attack the senses. It must be the civet that I adore and smile about, but smile inside it makes me do. I keep sniffing my wrists and saying, "So beautiful." I love this fragrance.
Passion settles down into a woman's sensual scent, promising what's yet to be. A high-heeled, black-stockings, bat your lashes, use your fingernails, arch your eyebrow, Baby I know who I am and what I've got fragrance. It's not a user beware, it's the opposite. Your date, SO, whatever is in trouble.
Drydown to a sweet, musky, powdery incense, making Passion a wonderful Oriental that's ignored because of it's price. Don't be fooled by the name and the politics. Don't let yourself be swayed by commercialism and hype and pay exorbitant prices to cover the costs of commercials and tv. Close your eyes and let your nose tell you what's wonderful.
One spritz lasts for hours and hours and sillage is about an arms length. This is sexy, yes, but also cozy and warm in it's own way.
The African Amethyst color of the art deco glass bottle is elegant. The gold cap could be replaced, I'll agree, but if that was the decision, I'll live with it.
There are so many different flavors to this delicious scent, one try isn't enough to benefit from it's full potentials. At times, spices mix into the brew of decadence, while leather, smoke and incense dance around the flames of desire that the creator of this frag intended to concoct a potion so intense she was willing to chance it all as her very first fragrance on the market. Passion is just so delicious!
Why has this ET fragrance been ignored or shunted? By far, it is the richest of them all. It is an eye-opener, a knock-your-socks-off with the aldehydes at the top. But the sandalwood, patchouli, coconut and vanilla all bring it down in the base to a scent of incredible strength. Think 1940's Hollywood and strong women such as Greta Garbo, Joan Crawford, Betty Davis.
Some call this a drugstore perfume, because Elizabeth Taylor wanted all women to be able to appreciate her scents. Ironically, her perfumes are also sold in department stores such as Macys. So they must appeal to women of various backgrounds. It's both department and drugstore.
I also love Diamonds and Rubies by ET. I've since purchased Diamonds and Emeralds. I'm searching for Black Pearls, another I believe will fit my fragrance nose. The popularity of her line should tell consumers that her perfumes will become classics just as the inimitable Elizabeth Taylor has become in history. I am delighted to own, wear and display these.
I recently watched the great actress Joan Crawford making her exit at the end of an episode of Route 66, sashaying her skirts with her hands, her back ramrod straight, her high heels clicking the pavement, never looking back at the cast of characters. But their eyes were all pinned on her as she walked down the street. I imagine her wearing a perfume such as Passion, leaving the beautiful fragrance in the wake of her stunning exit, and that's why she always left such a memorable impression of confidence. A perfume such as this one does that to you.
Passion is amazing with all its notes. Not an everyday perfume,not at all. But when you want to feel special, sexy, powerful inside, go for this bottle. It will transform you.

Passion = Poison Noir
I followed FruitDiet's advice and picked up a mini in parfum concentration for a couple bucks on ebay, plus shipping. I've worn Passion parfum twice now, and I swear - Passion wears like Poison on me, or I should say Poison Noir.

Other than being 1980s fragrances in purple bottles with purple juice, why are Passion & Poison so similar to me? One reason is the shared white florals. Although Passion doesn't have as much tuberose, my skin amplifies the shared white floral notes. The other reason is the shared honey & incense notes, which wear similar on me. The top is different because Poison has the plumy-grape thing going on. Plus, Poison is light & brighter and holds the tuberose longer. And, Passion is incredibly unisex by today's standard's while Poison remains a femme. However, I just can't shake the association: Passion wears like a deeper, darker Poison, which was once my signature scent and still one of my favorites.

Like Poison but not the price tag, or want a Poison that's less femme? Try Poison Noir ... I mean, Passion.

PS - Seek out the smaller bottles that were part of gift sets for the best juice and best value. I've also obtained EdT in a 25ml rectangular bottle with gold top. $1 + shipping. It's glorious and makes a great masculine!

by Irini
by Irini
by Pluto
Auch eine Diva braucht mal frische Luft ...
by Ginger
Spotlights on for:  Elizabeth Taylor - Passion (1987)
by Jocka