Violet Eyes (2010)

Violet Eyes by Elizabeth Taylor

Violet Eyes is a perfume by Elizabeth Taylor for women and was released in 2010. The scent is floral-fruity. It was last marketed by Elizabeth Arden.

Carlos Benaïm

Top Notes Top NotesWhite peach
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Peony, Cedarwood

Submitted by Medusa00, last update on 05.03.2019

4.0 5.0 5.5/10

Nice enough
This is the best of all of the Elizabeth Taylor fragrances, in my opinion. It's nice and pleasant and perfectly agreeable, though I don't feel it's anything out of the ordinary. It contains no violet, which I feel would have been a no-brainer to include, considering the name (even though it refers to her eyes, which were actually blue.) Go figure.

It went on with a sort of sharp, peppery note. Luckily, that faded fairly quickly. What is left behind wafts around me like fabric softener. I can maybe agree with the peony note, but the others baffle me a bit. Cedar? I don't smell that at all, but maybe a bit of the amber.

I really just can't get past the fact that this smells just like fabric softener. My mother used that on everything she washed growing up, and the smells began to give me headaches. I do not use softeners for this reason. Violet Eyes is not overpowering, nor has it induced a headache, but I do feel that it is pretty synthetic in its scent. I am not sure how often I will reach for this. Maybe only if I'm sticking around the house to chill out. The public deserves better! LOL

The bottle is boring, but I did get this for under $5, so I can't complain too much. And it really is perfectly agreeable, just not interesting enough for me to reach for day after day. Sorry, Liz.
7.5 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

A Pleasant Surprise
I don't know how I've gone my entire life without sniffing a single Elizabeth Taylor perfume, but I have. Must be anti-drugstore prejudice. In any case, I decided to rectify this situation by purchasing a coffret of three fragrances, the first of which I chose to don being VIOLET EYES. What a surprise! This really smells nice!

I would compare VIOLET EYES favorably to CERRUTI 1881 and SHE WOOD. There is a watery, cedarish, slightly sweet floral feeling to all three. I could easily wear this as a "dashing out the door, spritz something on scent" during the summer months to come. That's how I use Ellen Tracy TRACY, and I'm sure that I'll use up my .5oz bottle of VIOLET EYES as well.

I actually ran a bath before spraying this juice on, but I noted that listed among the ingredients was not BHT, which was already a positive sign. This seems to me to be a real perfume, and I would not compare it to most of the other celebrity scents I've tested. The quality of this is much better than HALLE, FANCY, and the Mariah Carey and Celine Dion launches, IMNSHO.

Against all expectations, I like it!
5.0 7.5 5.0/10

Elizabeth Taylor's last fragrance
I had thought that Elizabeth Taylor's brand had stopped making perfume, until 7 years after the release of Gardenia, Violet Eyes appeared on our shelves. Since her passing, Violet Eyes is available pretty much anywhere and everywhere.

I really admired Elizabeth Taylor, not only for her beauty, but for her immense talent as an actor as well. Her most famous release, White Diamonds was quite nice in my opinion, the only downfall being its incompatibility with my skin chemistry. Violet Eyes on the other hand, while not smelling of violets, seemed like a younger, fruitier take on composing a fragrance.

It opened with a strong peachiness, somewhat green in nature and ever so slightly sour. The heart is composed of a creamy bouquet of jasmine, peony and rose. The fruitiness remains throughout the development of this scent, but the floral accords balance out the tartness nicely.

Violet Eyes is quite pretty, feminine and suitable for all ages. I think avid fans of Elizabeth Taylor will enjoy this as well as the younger consumers, who will no doubt wonder who on Earth she was. I'm glad she released one last fragrance before her passing, and I'm glad it was this one, a homage to her famous violet coloured eyes.

Despite my disappointment in there being no violet notes present, this fragrance lasts quite well and is pleasingly subtle and somewhat fresh. I think it captures Elizabeth Taylor and her charm realistically, and although Violet Eyes may never be as popular as White Diamonds, I'm certain it will sell well over these next coming months.

Bcars10 2 years ago