White Diamonds (1991) Eau de Toilette

White Diamonds (Eau de Toilette) by Elizabeth Taylor
Bottle Design: Susan Wacker

White Diamonds (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Elizabeth Taylor for women and was released in 1991. The scent is floral-powdery. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Revlon.

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Amazon lily, Neroli
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Iris, Jasmine, Narcissus, Tuberose, Turkish rose
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Patchouli, Sandalwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 29.08.2019

SorceressSorceress 6 years ago

„White Diamonds - More Complex Than One Thinks”

ScentFanScentFan 6 years ago

„Lily Gone Wrong”

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Whiff
Ice cold bouquet of flowers
I first owned White Diamonds at the age of 20 and my mother gave it to me for my birthday. She already knew then how much I liked perfume. ;-)
I really liked it then and the bottle knocked me out. Especially the lid with the stones or the diamond replica.

The first seconds after the spraying shot immediately flowery round, possibly mixed with a slight bitterness. The warmth of the skin absorbs this fragrance immediately and transforms it into a total work of art within a few minutes. After about 5 minutes I don't smell anything of the initial bitter anymore, it's more as if this note was necessary to make the flowers look cold. I don't know exactly, but it could be bitter orange.

Cool and fragrant we continue into the 2nd section after about 20 minutes. It doesn't take long for him to develop into a heart. There is a bouquet of all the flowers mentioned in the air and slowly I notice that the rose is approaching.

The shelf life is so good that it lasts loosely 8-10 hours.

I wonder how they managed to mix the coolness with the flowers.
Normally, the cold makes odours freeze.
Chemically, however, things are quite different here.

This perfume is so beautifully different, especially and despite the abundance of the many flowers so beautifully unsweet, full-bodied and characteristic. I'd recognize it among millions of other perfumes.

Until recently, I didn't know at all that there was an eau de parfum in the similar bottle.
I had bought it cheaply on the Internet and was very curious about the difference.

The concentration in the EDP is definitely warmer. Here the typical cool effect is missing, but there is a concentrated load of flowers inside and overall it looks a bit stronger. The strength is not related to the shelf life, because they both hold loosely a whole day, - it is more the intensity of the bouquet and possibly a slight honey note, which could be present in the EDP.

The end of the EDT is still cool, but mossier and earthier, the EDP more woody and balsamic.

I love both of them and hope that they will remain with us for a long time to come.
7.0 8.0 8.0 8.5/10

Diamonds in Yellow
At least a year ago I was lucky enough to buy an older bottle of White Diamonds from a private source. I can't find any batch code, but the thick tube tells me that my bottle could still be from the nineties. Nowadays, the tubes in the bottles are all very thin.
The colour of the Eau de Toilettes is a deep honey orange. As dark as on Irini´s Photos or as on Extrait. So it should have "matured" a few years ago.

I liked White Diamonds from the first spray. He's got everything a woman needs. No harmless sugar water is that!
It starts with an appropriate dose of aldehydes, but they do not have a hairspray effect. Blumig we continue immediately with the lily, which doesn't get too asig here and combines beautifully with a round of unsweet jasmine. The aldehydes seem to tame the power flower duo a bit. Very pleasant the whole thing. Intensively perceptible and yet not too wummsig (for me anyway). Tuberose is also well perceptible and fits well here. The other flowers don't show up to me like this or are spun in discreetly.
The base is very substantial. But I only take oakmoss very delicately here but instead I could swear that there is a good portion of civet in here, I really like that! But in the pyramid there is nothing about Zibet.
The Sillage is not from bad parents, at least my cats blink when I spray it on me at a distance of two meters. The durability is also very good.
I think I'll have to get a spare bottle of this. A great fragrance is this.

I liked White Diamonds from the beginning. A fragrance to my taste. A rich, classic fragrance for real women who are in the middle of life and know what they want. For women who don't care about the opinions of others and live their lives.

WildGardener
All but by her hand so fair
It was told to me in all sincerity, dear reader, by the antiquarian book dealer who sold to me this priceless jewel, that the manuscript I present before you today is a genuine translation of a copy taken by an assistant at the alchemical laboratory of Montpellier.
He furthermore led me to know that the perfume in question was conceived of by order of none other personage than the last Phaeroh and renown Queen of Egypt Cleopatra, when she tired of the unguent her priests would bring to her.
It is believed, she would complain that the Khyfu as they called it, was a viscous brew that smelled darkly of honey, spices, wine, myrrh and other balsams, and that she could not remove the stuff from her hair for many days after having been anointed with it.
The great Queen therefore ordered the noted perfumer Ben Ayim to create for her a perfume unique to her, and seemly to her status as the most beautiful, famous and beloved of women of her age.
The manuscript which I faithfully copy out for you now is confirmed to be the authentic product of a most exigent collaboration between the Queen and her Mage.

MANUSCRIPT
Take ye the essence of persic and candelwick, flowers of the rose of Turke, jessamin and tubarose of Gresse, rich wood, hotte spyce and sweet roote of orris, white lys and narcisse. Add to them spirits of wine and pass them through ye alembyc. With podds of vannill, resine of ciste and olibanne, & if ye see violetts put them inn. Be sure to find patchouly leaf, moss of oake and ambergries in small proportion by her lady's wishe.

Place in a cool cellar for 9 passages of the moon, cause thy apprentice to turn the closed vessel by the weeke.
To the waters add ye the pressed skin of the orange tree, flr of bittr orange and fine bergames of Sicili. Leave again to turn by ye appr. for sixe months till all hath attained to honeyed balm and by juste proportion made fayre.
Makes of ane very good perfume.

It be reported that the great Cleopatra, her of wide celebritie, did order Maitre Ben Ayim ye alchymist to the makyng of it, and that she did closely tailor the progess thereof, to her bountyous delight and satysfaction.

END OF MANUSCRIPT
1.0/10

Lily Gone Wrong
For me, this is another example of lily gone wrong. First sniff was just putrid. It dried down a tad better, but not much. I had the same reaction to Jovoy's Lys Epona and another scent with lily I can't recall right now, or was it iris? To me, putting the two of them together is utter folly, unless done by a true master. Adding aldehydes? Good grief. I'm surprised my poor nose didn't end up in the emergency room! Fortunately, D&G's Intense for women came in the same package so immediate first aid was available. Many obviously don't have this reaction, but if you're at all sensitive to either lily, iris, or aldehydes beware!

3/11/15 -- It was warm here last year when I first tried White Diamonds. I tried it again this week. The weather's cold. Amazing result. Narcissus, which I found caused the putridity, blends with the rest of the notes now and the result is a luxurious perfume! Here's a forum discussion about it: http://www.parfumo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=31339#31339.
2.0/10

even tiny dogs hate it
TRUE STORY: my batshit crazy grandmother (who is 90, italian, still dyes her hair black and has huge fake boobs) had to go to a retirement condo/villa and her chihuahua wasn't allowed... so she gave the dog to my sister. upon getting the wee fella, my sister bathed the powdery old lady smell off him and let him run about the yard LIKE A DOG SHOULD.

he got dirty, smelly and loved it.

well!

one day my grandmother came to visit him and immediately wrinkle her nose in repulsion informing my sister that "he stunk!" while she SIMULTANEOUSLY pulled out an entire bottle of white diamonds from her pocketbook and proceeded to *squirt squirt squirt* that poor little dog right in front of God and everyone. it... was... the best/worst thing... ever.
5.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

White Diamonds - More Complex Than One Thinks
A multitude of flowers, tempered by creamy Egyptian Tuberose immediately brought to mind a bath of scented oils. White Diamonds reminds me of the strong power fragrances of the '80's-ladies who wore suits with shoulder pads, short skirts, high heels and big hair and weren't afraid to say no, because they knew who they were, what they wanted and where they were going.
I recently met a woman in the fragrance department of a store who told she only wore this perfume and was constantly on the look-out for others to no avail. We had a lively discussion over the old-time perfumes and I suggested some new ones for her to try. We parted happily after our discussion, two mature women, of an era passed, where perfumes were once delicate and feminine, then turned to a heavier insidious oilier vibe-the musks, the patchoulis, the vetivers, then on to the powerhouses of the '80s'. We've enjoyed our true gourmands, our real vanillas, our basics. But now we see the insipid fruity blends. The mixes that are flash-in-pans, the slap their names on and call a designer perfume. And we wonder what will become of this younger generation when they mature? What will be their baseline to cull information from?
Not so with Elizabeth Taylor's White Diamonds. The aldehydes, of course, immediately hit you, but so does the bergamot, taming the bright florals of lily, carnation, jasmine, and ylang-ylang. But you expect this. The citrus of neroli, violety resemblance of orris root, light spices of cinnamon, hints of Turkish Rose, the hypnotic headiness of narcissus are all blended so well it's no wonder this fragrance is becoming a classic. Amber powders the mix well, while the oakmoss and patchouli give it its mysterious undercurrent. A light musk and a bare inkling of sandalwood all combine to make White Diamonds a perfume definitive unlike any you'll smell and one you'll always remember. This is a love/hate relationship perfume. It is for the experienced wearer, for the lover of perfumes that understands and appreciates the correlation of notes as they are applied.
Slapping her sobriquet on a bottle wouldn't have made Liz happy. She needed to make the perfumes work. She was successful in her goals. As with all of her fragrances, sillage is strong, as is the longevity. There is so much going on from start to finish, it is a joy to experience. This is a daytime or nighttime fragrance to wear, one to make you feel and experience strength.
I can understand falling in love with this perfume, and why someone would make it their signature perfume. It is complex. It's warm and surrounding. There are quite a few in the line to sample, and if you have the opportunity, give as many as you can a test. They are fascinating perfumes.

Surprisingly good
I smelled this on a young woman while in the check out line of a grocery store. It was a sweet musky floral fragrance and very noticeable. I was amazed when she told me it was White Diamonds. She said it was her favorite perfume and she wore it all the time. My previous perception of this scent was that it had way too much aldehydes in it for my tastes. But yet, here was this young girl wearing it and it smelled fantastic. I think perhaps this is one of those scents that you really need to have patience for and wait for the die down. Also I think it smells better from the other persons perspective, since they are not right on top of the scent as the wearer is. The fact that you could still smell it it a grocery store says a lot about the strength and sillage.
5.0 7.5 7.5 5.0/10

A pure white diamante
At first I thought aldehydes = I won't like this fragrance, but I managed to convince myself to try this. I sprayed a small amount onto my wrist and was quite surprised. Sure, it was powdery but there was something about it that was slightly appealing. However, a few minutes later the perfume became stronger and the aldehydes started to make me feel nauseous. When I tried to scrub this off my wrist, the task seemed almost impossible because the sillage was so strong.

I can only say that for fans of Chanel No.5, Anais Anais or soft, powdery scent lovers, this may be for you. For haters of aldehydes, stay far away from this one.

Irini ist heute 55 ....jihaa ....*****
Für Fresh
by Irini
Colourful for Fresh21... once again!
by TIA1971