Diamonds and Sapphires 1993Eau de Toilette

Diamonds and Sapphires (Eau de Toilette) by Elizabeth Taylor
Bottle Design Susan Wacker
Diamonds and Sapphires (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Elizabeth Taylor for women and was released in 1993. The scent is floral-green. It was last marketed by Elizabeth Arden.

Top Notes Top NotesFreesia, Lily-of-the-valley
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Rose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Sandalwood

Submitted by Lissy, last update on 21.07.2020.

Elegant "Evergreen"
Even the flacon radiates timeless elegance. The fragrance is a perfect match for the exterior. In the beginning very tangy green, the character changes into a cool elegance of spring flowers. It has a little bit herbaceous in its luggage, but still looks very feminine. Not a Sillage monster, but durable. For me, a perfect "always-on"
16paws
The Taming of the Shrew..
was a film with the wonderful Liz Taylor and my first thought when spraying Diamonds and Sapphires was of him. There is no better way to describe this fragrance, because it is stubborn and brittle. At least on the first impression.

The greeting is cool and detached, but not unfriendly or even arrogant. There are no hugs or "kiss, kiss, kiss" when getting to know each other. D&S has class and does not bend over. Why also?

The prelude is slightly soapy, but only short. The freesia greets with a lot of green and stays in the foreground for a relatively long time before it connects with the other flowers. Despite jasmine and ylang-ylang, the fragrance never becomes sweet or even exhausting.

Amber, musk and sandalwood give D&S depth, but not warmth in the true sense. This is not a scent that cuddles. At most it leans on you and if you are very lucky, it will snuggle up for a short time. To develop its full radiant power D&S needs warmth. I put it on on a cool day and it was not as present and beautiful as at higher temperatures
You can't go wrong with D&S at all if you like unsweet, green scents. I like to wear it during the day, also with jeans and t-shirt and I would not think of any occasion where it would be inappropriate. But I absolutely do not like to call it "evergreen", because that would devalue the scent. But the other way round, it becomes a shoe, as they say, because D&S also enhances everyday banalities. A touch of luxury for days when you don't have anything extraordinary planned. Of course it fits the big entrance just as well, probably even better. With a shelf life of 8 - 10 hours, you can't complain and I have nothing to criticize about the silage either.

But what I consider to be a real mess is the fact that this wonderful fragrance is being sold off like the others from Taylor, because none of them deserve it.

Melon and Lily delight
Another green that I can wear without it turning into a sour sweat smell on my acidic skin.. I normally stay away from green but this is a melon green, not a leaf or grass green..

I mainly get an aquatic melon with lily of valley, ylang ylang and jasmine.. the peach, rose, and sandalwood lay quietly in the background. I get a hint of the rhubarb but I'm not finding spices or vetivier in it.

Sillage is very good and it lasts over 6 hrs which is also very good on me.

I personally do not care that much for the bottles especially since this diamond line all look basically the same.. I painted a strip of nail polish around the 'studded' section in order to tell them apart faster, too bad they didnt put a couple red/green/blue rhinestones there in the first place

Better in Vintage
D&S wears great on paper, not on me. The mix of florals (jasmine, lov, freesia) is headache & asthma inducing. It's very strong for an EDT, even with a light hand. I like it but can only wear it on clothing or scarves. It's a contemporary bottle that looks as pictured.

I've since tested Boucheron Jaipur & Boucheron Jaipur Saphir. To me, ET Diamonds & Sapphires is similar in scent, but not quality, to these 2 Boucherons.

UPDATE: I've acquired a small vintage bottle in EDP formulation, in a solid gold canister with simulated diamonds. What a difference this makes! The vintage version a much more wearable and better quality. It's just enough to change my rating from neutral-minus to neutral-plus.

White Diamonds and Black Pearls are also ET fragrances that are better in vintage.

Lily Of The Valley Bomb.
I saw an interview once with Mrs Taylor in which she explains why she wanted to make perfumes. Apparently, all the perfumes she tried she didn't like, plus a lot of perfumes smelled alike to her and she ended up layering several perfumes to get one scent she would like. Somewhat recognizing this complaint, this story sounded interesting to me. So much so, that when I saw "Diamonds & Rubies" and "Diamonds & Sapphires" for a bargain price I decided to take the risk and -blindly- purchased both.
Well, The bottles are very pretty, they remind me of her jewelry penchant (I think that is the point).
I sniffed "Diamonds & Rubies" and can say: it's a pleasant and warm oriental that I shall be wearing one day; I just haven't found the right mood for it yet.
"Diamonds & Sapphires" is another story, I sniffed it and almost got a headache! Lily of the valley, that is ALL I smell! And not in a small amount either! I guess it's a perfume that one only uses one spray of or walk through the mist after spraying it in the room. Any other form of applying is -for me- too much lily. I have it stored and am undecided about it. But just the other day I saw "Diamonds & Emeralds" for a bargain price (all these are 100ML!) Shall I succumb and purchase? For these bargain priced perfumes they never offer a tester. Hmmm

Darling Elizabeth, I am not afraid of Virginia Woolf, but your Lily is scary! x.x.x

by Caliope
by Vanna
by Arlufkin
by Arlufkin

Popular Elizabeth Taylor

Black Pearls (Eau de Parfum) by Elizabeth Taylor Diamonds and Emeralds (Eau de Toilette) by Elizabeth Taylor Diamonds and Rubies (Eau de Toilette) by Elizabeth Taylor Passion (Eau de Toilette) by Elizabeth Taylor Gardenia by Elizabeth Taylor Violet Eyes by Elizabeth Taylor Brilliant White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor Passion for Men (Cologne) by Elizabeth Taylor White Diamonds (Eau de Toilette) by Elizabeth Taylor Forever Elizabeth by Elizabeth Taylor Sparkling White Diamonds (Eau de Toilette) by Elizabeth Taylor White Diamonds Night by Elizabeth Taylor White Diamonds Lustre (Eau de Toilette) by Elizabeth Taylor White Diamonds (Parfum) by Elizabeth Taylor Passion (Parfum) by Elizabeth Taylor Love & White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor