Diva (1983) Eau de Toilette

Diva (Eau de Toilette) by Emanuel Ungaro
Bottle Design: Jacques Helleu

Diva (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Emanuel Ungaro for women and was released in 1983. The scent is floral-chypre. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Salvatore Ferragamo Group.

Jacques Polge

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Cardamom, Coriander, Mandarin, Tuberose
Heart Notes Heart NotesOrris root, Jasmine, Narcissus, Carnation, Rose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Honey, Iris, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Vetiver, Civet

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 06.01.2019

7.5 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

R.I.P Diva
I had the pleasure of owning and enjoying a pre-formulated bottle of this Diva. Lush roses wrapped in oak-moss, a lovely carnation (normally a no-no note on me) dipped in honey on a bed of sumptuous amber.

Was she strong? Yes, but in a very good way. Was she 80s style? Yes, but in a classy and beautiful manner. *YUM* But every bottle has a last drop and sooner or later you'll reach it. So, when I saw this in a shop I decided to try it despite that I was told it's reformulated. It's Ungaro...surely he wouldn't murder his leading lady? Right?

Oh dear! I am soo sad! It's like they took an old school Hollywood Diva, stripped her of her designer clothes and banned her from starring in feature films to *star* in day-time soaps. On my skin it's a aldehyde one-note mess of strong perfume that smells a lot like Gloria Vanderbildt (Gloria smells MUCH better though!) Nothing is left to remind me of this unique and beautiful scent.

I must assume that the *reformulation* gang has murdered yet again another innocent and beautiful victim. A true star & Diva....If I can't find a pre-reformulated bottle...I shall miss her.

mea culpa
I owe Diva a bit of an apology. It's a heavy rose chypre, an era-specific genre (70s-80s) that I love. In the past I've noted that I like some of Diva's cohorts more than Diva. (Paloma, Knowing, Scherrer, La Perla.) I've tended to point to what I find 'off' in Diva. Too much honey sweetness, not enough green, a bit soft for a chypre.

Well, on reflection, I was wrong. When I see Diva as a hybrid rose chypre/oriental, it comes beautifully into focus. What I used to see as a simple honey sweetness I now recognize as a wonderfully sweet, waxy-honeycomb scent that connects the heartnotes to the spicy amber drydown in a rather lavishly paced transition. I used to want more brash green with more patchouli and moss in the drydown. What was wrong with me? While there is an identifiably chypric drydown, the amber emphasis is both comfortable and stirring.

A few other bits make Diva's evolution so interesting to keep tuning into. Right from the top there is an identifiable rose, but it is woody rather than green or dewy or brightly 'floral.' It calls to mind both rose and rosewood. And there's a slightly acerbic note that balances the honey and ties it to the dry spiciness that lasts through the entirety of Diva's drydown. Also, while I still hold that Diva is a rose chypre, there is an indolic note that suggests white flowers and keeps the rose from reading as strictly dark as in Scherrer or La Perla.
7.5 8.0/10

Emanuel Ungaro Diva
Impressive just impressive if you want to make an impression this perfume is for you. the aldehydes the cinnamon
and i can pick up some incense and with
it's stately bottle design and bold red
label says it all. an 80's high powered bussiness executive wearing a white italian bussiness suit heavy gold jewelry thick gold round earrings 4 inch bleck stellto heals hair fashioned
like brigette nielson kind of a woman.
this perfume is for women with strong
style sense and Confidence not for the meek.

Die Diva lässt alles um sich herum erstrahlen.
by Hobbit
by Hobbit
Auf dem roten Teppich, berühmt, aber einsam.
by Rosaviola
by BBking
by IndianSummer
by IndianSummer

Popular Emanuel Ungaro

Diva (Eau de Toilette) by Emanuel Ungaro Ungaro pour L'Homme III (Eau de Toilette) by Emanuel Ungaro L'Amour Fou (Eau de Parfum) by Emanuel Ungaro Ungaro pour L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Emanuel Ungaro Ungaro pour L'Homme II (Eau de Toilette) by Emanuel Ungaro Desnuda by Emanuel Ungaro Apparition (Eau de Parfum) by Emanuel Ungaro Senso by Emanuel Ungaro Ungaro (2007) by Emanuel Ungaro Diva Rose by Emanuel Ungaro Ungaro (1977) (Eau de Parfum) by Emanuel Ungaro Diva (Eau de Parfum) by Emanuel Ungaro Ungaro Man (Eau de Toilette) by Emanuel Ungaro Apparition Homme Intense by Emanuel Ungaro Ungaro pour L'Homme III Oud by Emanuel Ungaro L'Amour Fou L'Elixir by Emanuel Ungaro Apparition Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Emanuel Ungaro Ungaro for Her by Emanuel Ungaro Ungaro Party by Emanuel Ungaro Apparition Pink by Emanuel Ungaro