Acqua di Iris (2017)

Acqua di Iris by Ermenegildo Zegna

Acqua di Iris is a popular perfume by Ermenegildo Zegna for men and was released in 2017. The scent is floral-spicy. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Iris, Bergamot, Violet leaf, Spices, Woods, Labdanum absolute, Musk

Submitted by CPL, last update on 23.05.2019

6.0 6.0 7.0 7.0/10

A not insubstantial all-rounder
At first you can perceive a strong, fresh brightening powdery and very discreet creamy flowery note, which also has a delicate caraway dry aura and is due to the iris.

At the same time, the iris is accompanied by a fine citric and herbaceous note, which ensures that it is still a little more potent and pleasantly lifted into the air and comes from the bergamot
A little later the iris and the bergamot have moved a little into the background without disappearing completely and unite with a beautiful deep flowery note, which carries a certain light spicy twist with it and I have typed on violet instead of violet leaf and the fragrance now has pleasant all-round qualities, but also does not appear completely insubstantial.

In the last 3 hours a very soft balsamic note can be noticed, which reminds me of light blossom honey with a little bit of incense and I didn't come across Labdanum at all
The Labdanum - Absolue is surrounded by a very sweet and slightly powdery note, which I personally don't like so much, because the musk on my skin takes on very delicate old-fashioned feminine traits.

In the background there is a soft wooden creamy breath, which also brings a fine shimmering aura for a pleasant end and I suspect the use of cedar wood, sandalwood and grey pepper.

In total, the fragrance lasts 7.5 hours on my skin.

The Sillage is conceived from the outset in such a way that one is perceived well at a half arm length and this is maintained also 2.5 hours in such a way, before it is reduced in leisurely steps up to the conclusion of the smell.

I would like to express my sincere thanks to our perfume "Jkbonheur" for the rehearsal.
9.0 8.0 10.0 9.5/10

The Maserati among the Italians
Ermenegildo Zegna stands for merciless perfectionism in fashion. The men's collections stand for exorbitant cloths and elegance. Zegna is gentleman, Zegna is understatement, Zegna is special, Zegna is expensive. And that's good.

With the perfumes it is not different (apart from Zegna Uomo).
Zegna already secured the harvest of the Calabrian bergamot (which dominates the top note in every Zegna scent) of a particular slope for the next three years. Zegna is mercilessly special.

Acqua die Iris is one of three light eau de toilettes of this (Acqua) series and compared to the Essence series available at moderate (i.e. normal prices) prices.

Since the iris is also available in the Essence variation, I compare these two a little, but Acqua:
is evaluated
Top note:
Like a Wrigley's Doublemint that you shove into your mouth and do the first three bites - just for the nose. A stroke of genius for me. Wonderfully intense - the iris is fully powdered and is beautifully refreshed by the Calabrian bergamot. Acqua di Iris always has a discreet powdery effect. If you want it a bit more powerful, dashing and sharper, you need Essence Florentine Iris for about 220,- EUR. In this case the top note is a V8.
The top note is addictive for both - 10 points.

Heart note:
Here at the Acqua the woods come to light. And it gets a little spicier around the nose. The spices that make the difference are not revealed, but I strongly recommend cardamom and a little rosemary mixed with sage. It remains purdrig with the Acqua. With the Essence it stays with the clear V8 announcement.
I catch myself always leading my wrist to my nose - I can't help it.
The heart note gradually fades away (or did I simply inhale it?) and a little too quickly for me (in Acqua). The V8 Florentine, on the other hand, roars fully through - 8.5 points (Acqua!).

Base note:
It's hard to believe. It stays with the powdery iris. The bergamot has long been blown away by the wind and has been replaced by the Labdanum honey. Now it's getting gourmandig and warmer (musk). The base comes across as noble and reserved. It is just there and forms a perfect symbiosis with the pH value of my skin. The clou is that the base is eternal. Even the next morning you can still see them clearly. The same applies of course to the V8 of Florentine, which also has a more pithy and sharp-edged base, i.e. less powdery, warm and soft.
I am thrilled - 10 points.

Shelf life:
eeeewig - 10 points

Sillage:
Very present. of course much more discreet with the Acqua than with the lusty V8-Florentine. The latter is a bit of a sillage scooter, Acqua is much more reticent - 9 points.

Flacon:
Yes, beautiful! A pretty little piece of Bauhaus in the bathroom. Extremely powerful with its cubic and minimalist form.
Sweet - 9 points.
The lid on Florentine-V8 is also magnetic and is virtually torn out of your hand when you sit on it. Of course, the merciless propulsion pulls at the axle and at the steering wheel and at the cover...

I love Italy and I love this perfume - under my TOP10.
Good thing Zegna isn't available in every Douglas. After all, tailor-made suits are not available in every department store and Maserati - well, you know...

by eBOSS