Z Zegna Milan (2016)

Z Zegna Milan by Ermenegildo Zegna

Z Zegna Milan is a popular limited perfume by Ermenegildo Zegna for men and was released in 2016. The scent is fruity-green. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies. Limited Edition

Trudi Loren

Top Notes Top NotesFig
Heart Notes Heart NotesClary sage
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood

Submitted by Michael, last update on 23.04.2019

8.0 7.0 7.0 8.5/10

The little coward
To pick up the headline first: For me, the fig is the clear tone here. I was really surprised that so many perfumers here perceive coconut as a fragrance.
I discovered the scent in the late summer of last year rather coincidentally for myself and then made it my holiday scent.
Actually, I was much more interested in Zegna Intenso, which I became aware of through the well-known larger YouTuber. Ermenegildo Zegna was not at all known to me until then. I then clicked my way through the brand's complete range of perfumes and somehow got stuck with the City Line. Also "New York" is a really passable fragrance, but for me it goes too much in the direction of Bentley Intense, which I like even better.
Now to come back to the actual fragrance:
What I perceive is a fruity, not too sweet fig. This note is by no means limited to the top note for me. It runs much more through the complete fragrance pyramid. After the fruity-fresh opening, a woody note (sandalwood) is added relatively quickly, which takes up more space over time.
The shelf life is very good for a spring/summer fragrance with ~6-7 hours and especially during the first hour you pull a considerable fragrance tail behind you with Milan. Then the scent moves a little closer to the body.
All in all, I am very happy to have decided to wear this fragrance a little off the beaten track and will wear it again this spring with joy.
8.0 8.0 8.0 7.5/10

Camey5000
what's the question here?

Fig or not fig ?
Coconut or not coconut?

On the slender sandalwood tree
Fruits with wide smells !

In the middle of the flowery Muskatellersalbeifeld !

Fig or not fig ?
Coconut or not coconut?

Depending on personal feeling:
A land of milk and honey
9.0 7.0 8.0 10.0/10

A Big City Smell in Modern Italy
What do Milan city, fig fruit, and pencil sharpener have in common? Z Zegna Milan is all about those. This is an interesting spin-off and a million miles away from Zegna's original Z fragrance. First of all, Z Zegna Milan belongs to the cities collection limited edition together with New York and Shanghai, this one dedicated to a big and modern Italian city I myself have lived for many years.

It's a very dry woody fig with some smoke and a touch of sweetness. Unusually for a fig fragrance, it is not paired with any sort of coconut, or vanilla, or other fruit. The representation of fig here appears to encompass the whole fig tree, rather than just the fruit and/or leaves. In that respect it is unique, however, on my skin, it does remind me of something that I wish I could recall, but not necessarily another fig fragrance. It starts with fig, ends with fig. Surely you get some santal-woody vibe escorting the fig towards the dry down. Make no mistake, this is an interesting, very well blended all fig-heavy scent. Not your regular mainstream designer generic dull scent. If you ever been to an original Mediterranean city, you'd probably smelled something similar in the air on a warm summer evening, sea breeze mixing with the warmth of fig trees.

That being said, I can hardly believe that Z Milan consists of just those 3 notes... Sincerely, those must be the main notes, yet note the only ones. I clearly get a pencil sharpener note in the middle-end phase, which is a typical result of incense-cedarwood and ISO e Super combination. Incense Cedar is one of the primary woods used in making pencils and has a spicy odor that’s commonly associated with pencils. I adore the smell of freshly sharpened pencils savoring the smell of newly-released aromatic oils and resins previously trapped within the wood. I don’t know about anyone else, but I really love it. Now it seems difficult to find anything other than plastic mechanical pencils, but less than 150 years ago lead pencils were only first being mass produced.

To me, it certainly seems to have additional notes other than just those listed. I can absolutely detect a very specific smoke note that wouldn't ordinarily come from either fig, clary sage, or sandalwood unless you were burning sandalwood incense. I also clearly detect an amberish resinous quality to the drydown that appears to come from either labdanum, benzoin or even myrrh. I guess it could be sandalwood, but not how I would ordinarily recognize it, surely not its creamy aspect.

The drydown is where the titled woods make their appearance and they're very nice. A bit like a pencil, but the nicest pencil you can imagine. Maybe a Hermes pencil to go in your Hermes agenda.

Longevity for is average to moderate at about 6 or 7 hours and projection is fairly soft, yet my colleagues pleasantly commented about the good aura was in there around my office's desk. It just performs enough, to linger around you and attract enough attention. Also, it's not heavy sweet. Somehow it's sweet due to the fig fruit, but not cloying, almost fresh-sweet. It works for all warm seasons, but to me, this is the smell of spring and fall, a sunny and warm day out typical of northern Italy, and good vibes.

Overall, this is a very pleasant and a bit unusual new scent from Zegna and appears to be a bit of a departure from its usual non-Essence line. If like me you are a fig lover, I would suggest getting your hands on a tester to try this out. If however, you don't like fig, I would stay well away.

-Elysium