Molecule 01 by Escentric Molecules
Molecule 01 (Escentric Molecules)

Molecule 01 is a popular perfume by Escentric Molecules for women and men and was released in 2006. The scent is woody-synthetic. It is still in production.

Geza Schön

ISO-E-Super

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 15.02.2019

Commercially available qualities of Iso-E-Super consist of at least three substances. Apparently, "Molecule 01" contains only one of these substances, Iso-gamma-Super (source: Scent and Chemistry - The Molecular World of Odors).

Bottle 7.0/10 Sillage 6.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 6.5/10
Pure Minimalism
Scentrack:
Kamasi Washington – Street Fighter Mas

At this moment Iso E Super is one of the most popular molecules in modern perfumery. Forums and FB groups are flooded with the mentioning of Iso E Super in various contexts. So, what is Iso E Super after all? According to Scent and Chemistry – The Molecular World of Odors, a beautiful book by Ohloff G, Pickenhagen W and Kraft P (Wiley-VCH, Zurich, 2012), Iso E Super or Isocyclemone E is a transparent woody-amber odor. It was discovered by John B. Hall and James M. Sanders of IFF in 1973. In 1990 was discovered that the main component of the mixture was weak in smell, and the minor component arborone (5%) gives the characteristic woody-ambery sensation. Thus Iso E Super is a mixture, not a single molecule, which minor constituent is responsible for the smell of many modern male compositions nowadays, and several excellent feminine creations like Lancome Tresor by the great Sophia Grojsman or Perles de Lalique (one of my girlfriend’s favorites) by hyper creative Nathalie Lorson.
To my nose Iso E Super is a shady and woodsy cedar-like odor with some pale powdery, musky and sweet nuances. In my opinion the main strengths of Iso E Super are persistent, moderate odor strength and the great characteristic to break the monotony of many woody compositions by giving the magic sparkling touch.
In 2006 Geza Schoen decided to launch an anti-fragrance – Molecule 01. A 100% of Iso E Super, packed in a slick bottle. A minimalistic dedication to urban landscape and modern world. It seems like this release won the hearts of many perfume lovers. I personally admire Geza Schoen to launch such a minimalist creation. I see the beauty, but have no emotions towards this creation. It smells like pure Iso E Super and loses that beautiful transparent and sparkling effect that possesses in combinations with other materials like Ormonde Jayne Ormonde Man, Lalique Encre Noire, Lalique Pour Homme Equus or Comme des Garcons Jaisalmer. In my country there is a fabric softener based on Iso E Super which I really like, so I do not want to smell like my shirts. Molecule 01 is an interesting concept which I highly respect, but still wish to wear something more human.
Bottle 4.0/10 Sillage 4.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 3.5/10
Black or white?
I saw Molecule for the first time at a distance of 50 meters in a hotel. I was hypnotized, I had never smelled anything so good. When I located the lady who was wearing it, I couldn't get out of the swarm. I had to have this special scent as soon as possible. I couldn't have missed this day, I was addicted right away! Unfortunately the procurement in classical perfumeries turned out to be rather difficult to impossible, so that I had to fall back on the online trade. 3 days and nights I had to wait now always the mailbox in the view and then it was there! Excitedly, I ripped open the packaging and could immediately perceive a slight note. On the spot I took three splashes on my naked neck and décolleté, less than 10 seconds later I was horrified to find out that this scent does not trigger me at all as with the lady in the hotel. The opposite was the case, with every movement a biting smell of engine oil rose to my nose.

My conclusion this fragrance unfortunately does not suit everyone...and so I had to say goodbye to the illusion of having found the "dream fragrance".
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 7.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
...unfortunately horny...
What can we say about this?
Either it is the simplest, simplest, simplest wash ever on the market or simply the most ingenious. This is where the spirits quarrel.

But one thing is for sure: Mr. Schön has made so much money with this thing that he feels like he could sit down for the next 100 years and create the best, most unique and most incredible fragrance of all time, so I guess. - or has he already done so?

Even with discount campaigns the scents fall out with him, always the same price, even more expensive, the cheeky badger, they become. The "little ones" for the travel bottles already cost over 80€, if I remember correctly and in it are 30ml?

The fragrance seems to have a similar effect as in the film "THE PARFUM". People are literally ripping themselves off. They don't know what they smell, they don't know if they smell anything at all, they don't even know if what they smell is a fragrance, they just know that it's beautiful... and that it moves something in them and inspires them, even they are perceived.
I too have granted myself here against always. It seemed too expensive, too much like: " I don't smell anything"

But when a 1,90 m 1% rocker approached me and I thought my weekend had run, I became also victim of this fascination, which constitutes this smell. Carefully and friendly he asked, what is this then please Geiles seih. I asked him what else he meant, because I didn't smell anything anymore and had already forgotten that I wore it. He just said he didn't know.

This scent goes away like sliced bread. You spray it on and your favourite scent still over it. You can combine it with anything you can.

Also the bottle: For me unfortunately cool. simple, simple, clean but high quality.

Thank you Mr. Beautiful
Bottle 7.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 9.5/10
Is it a scent or isn't it?
I would say it is a chemical that develops into a fragrance when combined with the skin.
What I can't understand are statements of "car repair shop smell" or something like that. I don't smell that.

For me he just smells really nice warm/fresh and totally unobtrusive.
I'd say you don't take a permanent scent was sodern rather single "waves".
Present and not permanently annoying/ intrusive.

To create this fragrance surely required courage and was one of Geza Schön's most beautiful creations.
Revolutionary? Yes! This fragrance rightly has its fan community and will always have it, as will its "Hater".

Especially on hot days where you don't really feel like applying something, this "scent" (I just call it a scent now) is especially suitable.

Finally to a very controversial topic: LAYERN!
I do it with some fragrances to improve the volume and shelf life a bit...and what can I say! It's working! (Aventus works great, you perceive the actual scent and sometimes "Molecule-01 waves")

This fragrance is not for sure for everyone, but everyone should test it at least once, because it is something very special in the perfume world!

By the way, you don't have to let the UVP of 120€ wander over the counter for a long time to be able to hold the scent in your hands. The net offers with respectable salesmen the super molecule already for scarcely 60€ per 100ml.

I personally think that's fair, and as you can read clearly: I'm MAG YOU.
A request for possibly following reply comments: Please stay objective!

LG TOM
Bottle 1.0/10 Sillage 1.0/10 Longevity 1.0/10 Scent 1.0/10
Absolutely LAYERN!!
With hello 01 "Eau de Waschsalon"!

Yes, read correctly, because Iso-gamma-Super, the only substance that contains this scent, therefore also Molecule 1(!), can only really unfold its power and react when three-legged iso-molecule-compounds, e.g. H01, meet and dock with each other
The reaction behaves the same, or at least similar, as if you put a conventional toilet cleaner, say 00 with chlorine (base) and a citrus cleaner (acid) together. First you think, hey, acid and base cancel each other out, but far from it! Ammonia can be produced and chlorine gases will evaporate, so that it just bangs. And ants explode internally like popcorn when they serve you a baking powder/sugar mixture for dinner, but that's really a completely different subject now.

Anyway, I probably won't need to tell you long and wide: 3 substances smell more than 1.
And with my layering tip, you'd have four substances!!!!! Think about it!!!!

H01.
Now again in the well sorted trade, or order directly with me.
Friendliest,
Your Count Number
Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 9.5/10
Black/blue or white/gold?
Most people will remember the Internet phenomenon of February 2015: A very poorly exposed photo of a dress was posted on Tumblr and the Internet could not agree on the colour combination of this dress. A good 60% were firmly convinced that the dress was white/gold. The other 40% swore it was black/blue. Some even - myself included - saw the dress on the exact same photo with the same brightness and contrast sometimes so and then again so, without having any influence on it. The brain did its own thing.

This phenomenon seems to be repeating itself. In the main role: Molecule 01, more precisely the ISO E Super contained therein. And the debate about colours is the debate about whether this fragrance exists at all, whether it literally "smells" or is less than a hint of nothing. Some commentators here feel betrayed, as if they are spraying bare water onto the skin. They are sure that this is just a placebo, globules, a fantasy, esoteric fuss and imagination. The dress was white/gold and anyone who claimed otherwise was obviously thrown into the air three times as a child, but only caught twice. "The Emperor's New Clothes" can be heard in this context, often with a mischievous "gg" or "lol", with the message: You're all so stupid, running around naked out there and thinking in your vanity, others would see (smell) something that isn't there at all. Only I am so k-l-u-k and see through the game of this cheater Geza Schön immediately. Give me the medal, you wizards!

But why (roughly overturned) half here perceive the scent and the other half not, has been tried below several times to explain (including further links). For my part I had to get myself a bottle of this fragrance (thanks to Kitho!), what I read here seemed much too interesting. Those who can smell the ISO E Super report here in a very differentiated way: For some, it is the most beautiful fragrance they have ever perceived. Some of them don't smell it at all, but they get lots of compliments from their environment - while others don't get them. Many report that this fragrance "comes and goes", is absolutely unpredictable and that this is the beauty of it. Some believe that the scent enhances the smell of their own skin, others say the smell of the environment. Still others smell the scent, but are disappointed.

Now the scent arrived a few days ago and I sprayed it immediately on my wrist, without any expectation. I knew I wouldn't smell anything with a 50% probability (at least after the alcoholic second start reported here). Nevertheless, I wanted to show it to other people to see how they would react to it.

And the result was, I smelled him. Clearly and unambiguously. And that for hours! I cannot speak of a "coming and going" as many here describe it. The scent is there from minute 1 and remains for several hours. Every time I smell my wrist, it's there. However, the durability is not as long with me as with others. After about 6-7 hours it is gone. On my skin average. Also the Sillage is not particularly, whereby many report, one cannot (more) perceive it oneself, for others however it is room-filling. I won't be able to judge that until I have the time.

The scent itself is very pleasant and clearly smells of cedar wood, albeit slightly synthetic. In any case, I cannot share the view that the scent would intensify the scent of one's own skin or perform other "miracles". It smells the same on skin as on handkerchief as on clothes. On the latter, by the way, I noticed him wearing the T-shirt today, although I sprayed it on there two days ago (and haven't worn the T-shirt since). I had even forgotten that he was on there until I had him in my nose when I dressed him. Hence the impulse for this review. While I was still undecided on day 1, whether I like it or not, I like it better from day to day (currently day 3) and have the best prospects for signature scent status. The girlfriend I met on the said (first) day didn't smell anything at all. Not on my skin and not on the T-shirt. The latter simply smelled "like freshly washed", saying that at the place where the scent was not sprayed on (no wonder, the shirt came out of the closet). Her mother in turn, who showed her the scent on a handkerchief in the evening, smelled it. So a pluralistic picture, just like here in the comments.

Well, what remains to be said in conclusion: both camps are right. I absolutely believe those who do not perceive the scent or the ISO E Super. Just as I believe those who say that the scent would "come and go" with them, even though I can't tell the same thing about myself. For my part, I seem to have an absolute "ISO E Super" nose. Since I usually classify my nose as inferior to the other noses here (since I'm not that good at sniffing out individual scents of a complex perfume), I don't think it has anything to do with sensitivity or even practice (I read here or elsewhere that it's just something for "highly trained"/"sensitized" noses). I think it's simply a coincidence, as some people write with their left or right hand or some people don't perceive the smell of asparagus a second time (in a different form) after some time (I don't need details, but should be clear). The photo of the dress, which in reality was black-blue by the way, simply allowed both possibilities due to the miserable exposure and associated processes in the brain, without one could describe one side as "absurd" or "quite obviously incorrect". So I would wish it for myself also from some here: the acceptance that the smell - only because one does not smell it oneself - does not testify under any circumstances to imagination or are simply "new clothes of the emperor". Many of those here, by the way, who cannot perceive it, deliberately do without an evaluation. I think that's absolutely fair. Because it shouldn't be about the general existence of the fragrance itself (which exists), but about the quality/pleasure of it - for which one has to perceive it. For me, this fragrance will find its way into the collection simply because it is such a mystery, such a "gamble", as far as perception by third parties is concerned, and thus quite different in nature from anything I have known before.

PS: Those who can't perceive it, by the way, are comforted by the fact that it is intended for them to perceive/experience other scents (much) better than many an ISO E Super nose - without being presented in the clarity as with ISO E Super. Each nose is unique and sometimes perceives scents quite differently than the person to the left or right of you. I am sure that the "ISO E Super Deficit" will be compensated elsewhere. So pet your nose and continue to enjoy your own subjective world in all its fragrant and stinking facets! :-)
Bottle 6.0/10 Sillage 6.0/10 Longevity 6.0/10 Scent 5.5/10
The Emperor's New Clothes...
Molecule 01 is an interesting one, on so many levels. The fact that this is only one note throughout is quite a slap in the face to modern perfumery, to an extent that this exposes one of the perfumers little secrets and makes it the star of the show.

Iso-E-Super is not a one-dimensional note. It fact it changes ans morphs over time. It has facets of cedarwood, sandalwood and even hints of pepper. I do like it, but I don't find it groundbreaking.

I think this summarises the case of "Emperors New Clothes Syndrome". In the sense that this fragrance is more important in how it makes people feel than how it makes others feel. If you know that the fragrance you are wearing makes you feel good about yourself, you will get compliments. End of story. With this fragrance, I feel that this is part of the appeal.

For me, ultimately I did not receive compliments even after a few days use. I do appreciate it very much, but that's where it ends for me. As a side note, you can buy Iso-E-Super direct and still have your magic ingredient (without the packaging and "concept art"). Not a bad fragrance by any means, but you need to play around with it a little to get results.
ISO E Super..
Recently I bought a 20% solution of Iso E Super, I figured it would be the same as Molecule 01. Today I smelled Molecule 01 for the first time and my solution is much stronger. So strong even, that I can pick it up perfectly throughout the entire day. Molecule 01 however is much, MUCH more subtle. It surfaces and disappears at random, but a few hours after application on just my wrist, my father clearly picked up on it. Apparantly this stuff radiates like crazy, but I could barely smell it.

I thought I had some insight into the mystery of Iso E Super with my 'home' made solution, but Molecule 01 really is a mysterious fragrance. It acts like an enhanced skinscent I suppose, clearly detectable by those around me. If this is the case with a 10% solution of Iso E Super, I wonder how others perceive my 20% solution? Every time I wear it, people ask me what it is, it gets compliments like crazy.

Today I layered Molecule 01 with Escentric 01 and I was quite amazed actually. I like it, but it's a pity they're marketed to be bought as a pair.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
When less IS more
I love this stuff.
Granted, it's a great big con considering it only contains Iso-E-Super, which you can get for next to nothing on the net, but if you can get a bottle for cheap (or not, depending on your means), get it.

It smells delicious ... I almost fancy myself when I wear it.

It is one of the nicest and truly unisex fragrances I have smelt. It's musky, slightly peppery, a touch woody, and behaves in a peculiar way, playing hide and seek all day long.

Unfortunately, for some, it only plays hide. Depends on the old skin chemistry I guess. To my nose, it's perfect.
Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
Iso E Super, truly superb
Molecule 01 is basically 100% Iso E Super (diluted with alcohol), the chemical/molecule that has been used in many well-known perfumes in the past as a base note. So it is a very familiar, comfortable smell.

When I tried it on for the first time, for the first few seconds, it smelled very synthetic and "chemicaley", but after a few minutes, Iso E Super developed on my as skin as this warm, soft-edged sweet woody scent. The smell is very intimate- it's not overwhelming at all because it's such a warm and "round" scent, but it does radiate around the wearer. So people will notice it, but never in an aggressive way. To be precise it is slightly sweet, slightly spicy, very woody, pretty soft, and a little musky too. It smells like sweet and warm cedarwood and sandalwood. If this scent could be characterized as colors, I would attribute a velvet/dark burgundy tint to it.

If you ever try it on you will notice that at times you won't be able to smell it anymore, thinking it has disappeared, but all of a sudden you'll catch a glimpse of it; the smell will come to you in waves.

A lot of people have criticized it because of a few reasons: it's not a perfume at all, it's just a chemical. And it's absolutely ridiculous to buy a $135 bottle for just a single-note scent- that you can create yourself for approx. 20$ (with about 85% perfumer's alcohol and 15% Iso E Super). And then still call it as "Molecule 01" whereas it should just be called Iso E Super.

But I have to say that I'm addicted to it, and I'm thankful that Geza Schoen has thought of trying the Iso E Super molecule on its own.

Of course, if you don't feel like making your own Iso E Super concoction, then go ahead and get a bottle of Molecule 01 because the effect that it has is truly uncomparable to any other perfume. I love it, and it makes a great signature scent because the longevity is quite remarkable. It stays on your skin for about 5-10 hours (depending on your pH balance) but even if by the end you think the scent has gone, other people will still be able to smell it on you.

It definitely has a velvety-woody feel to it, and if Iso E Super works for you, it will provide you with an amazing aura and emanation.
Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 5.0/10
Iso E Super in a Niche Bottle
I scoffed when I learned of these one-note aromachemical wonders being sold as niche perfumes, but I must say that I am pleasantly surprised at how this one smells. I was motivated to finally give my sample of MOLECULE 01 a trial run by my discovery last night at Aedes that this is actually their #8 seller!

MOLECULE 01 reminds very much of many fine vetiver fragrances, the explanation for which, apparently, is that this chemical is so often incorporated in such compositions. Honestly this smells so familiar that I feel that I have worn it before—and it seems that I have: many times! Here the scent is uncluttered by anything else and offers no more and no less than a pleasant woodiness. Now I finally understand why the perfumer came up with the idea of bottling iso-E-super as a niche: it fits in perfectly with the trend of inoffensive, friendly, clean and gentle office-ready colognes being sold today.

Although I would never purchase any single aromachemical in a bottle marked up to niche prices, I am happy to have had the opportunity to try this one and hopefully will be able to recognize the presence of iso-E-super—the now not-so-secret ingredient—in more complex perfumes in the future.

KingPin 33 hours ago
An enigma. Varies between nothing, petrol and cedar several times during the day. Really like it haha!
Bottle 5.0
Sillage 5.0
Longevity 5.0
Scent 8.5
Rocendroll 102 days ago
[Raczej nie] Nie wiem o co chodzi bo nie pamiętam zapachu gdy używałem, ale zapach po otwarciu pustej fiolki pachnie a raczej śmierdzi.
Sillage 6.0
Longevity 5.0
Scent 4.5
Yos 8 months ago
I was excited to try it, but it's nowhere near as good as I expected. Just smells like a set of wooden draws and extremely weak projection.+2
Bottle 4.0
Sillage 3.0
Longevity 6.0
Scent 4.0
Cym 17 months ago
Dusty wood and plastic - like an old desktop computer that has been sitting in a closet for several years gathering dust.+2
Farouha 3 years ago
Terrible scent. Totally masculine and very low projection and longevity. Waste of money.+1
Hermesh 4 years ago
Whether olfactory suprematism or avant-garde art of perfume: smells like a thuja for me!
Bottle 7.5