Aliage Alliage 1972

Version from 1972
Aliage (1972) / Alliage by Estēe Lauder
Bottle Design Ira Levy
Aliage (1972) is a popular perfume by Estēe Lauder for women and was released in 1972. The scent is green-chypre. The longevity is above-average. It was last marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Francis Camail

Base Notes Base NotesOakmossOakmoss
MuskMusk
MyrrhMyrrh
VetiverVetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 13.08.2021.

ALLIAGE - THE BEGINNING
June 1992. A big bank. First day in the office. New country, new city, new system, new colleagues.
PURE ANXIETY !!!

Everything is foreign and so unspeakably far from familiar. It doesn't help, I have to go through it, because I have a family to feed. Everything is new, my own office, my own desk and my own PC. I'll never make it - shortness of breath, shaking knees, fluttering heart, nausea.

Then it's off to the stock market. OMG - it's like a movie. A crowd of well-dressed men and few women are gathered, I'm like in a trance. Slippery parquet, ringing, screaming, rattling the
Dax -board above me - it's hell.... What was I thinking - I'll never make it... These numbers, these people, this rush - dear God, help me. Everything is spinning....

But then comes the saving hand, the saving look and the saving words - my boss stands next to me, looks me in the eye and says : " ... everything is only half as bad... They all just want to play... In a few weeks you'll understand everything and everything will be more normal... "
I croak some reply and wish for the final bell of the stock market to ring...

So it was then, and many crazy days followed. One scent has always accompanied and protected me during that time: ALLIAGE - he says : Until here and no further. Keep your distance, this woman must stand her ground - at all times. Hard and yet tender, unapproachable and yet enveloping, woody and yet warm - ALLIAGE unites everything and the feeling of that time, which brought so much growth and change. I have never experienced such an atmosphere of departure again.

Unapproachable green and woody notes, united with peach, pine and musk, conclude a fragrance that ends somewhat bitter-herbaceous and yet endearing. Quite typical understatement for the office. Clear demarcation. Desperation paired with hope and kindness. This scent is contradictory and indicative of my state then. And also today. Never would I want to miss it.

He is unique.

ALLIAGE continues to accompany me. The story is not over yet.
MECK, MECK, MÄH
From Estee Lauder I am used to class and elegance, so I dared as a blind purchase the Aliage Sport. On the sprayer it smells promisingly herbaceous, so here with it immediately and generously on both wrists and temples.

Meck, meck, mäh, I can not believe it ... A buxom hungry goat charges lovingly tended garden, trampling and eating everything indiscriminately: Roses, herbs, grasses, shrubs. Munch, munch, burp, burp, burp ... the show goes on like this for 5 hours, then oversaturation is reached and the goat disappears. The demolished garden smells from now on quite great for about another 4 hours.

The most extreme Animalik causes only incredulous head shaking... why is the scent here largely highly praised?

P.s. By the way, I must mention that my skin chemistry generally lures most even rudimentary animalic notes from the reserve maximum out and an epicenter of the aroma is always on the right more diligent hand... On the paper strip, the goat is well camouflaged, so hardly detectable without warning.

The cost conundrum.
At first glance, Alliage, one of the Estée Lauder line’s inexpensive mainstays might be considered simply ‘cheap and cheerful.’ It reads, “Sport Fragrance Spray” in a functional, rather non-stylized bottle. Not exactly sexy. But cheap and cheerful implies an innocent simplicity whose grinning surface advises not digging any further. On the contrary, I’d argue that Alliage is inexpensive but sophisticated and spectacular. One of the impressive set of perfumes in the stellar-but-cheap sweepstakes.

Everyone seems to talk about Alliage’s notes, and I will as well, but briefly. I don’t get the peach. I don’t get the oakmoss. I do get a heavy green (loads of galbanum accented by vetiver) brightened by citrus rind oils (bitter orange, lime?) and florals. But since the green is already firmly in place, the floral tone is a clean, airy white jasmine bolstered by musk and what smells like rosewood. I’ve heard people lament the loss of a more heavily oakmoss-laden earlier version of Alliage, but I don’t miss Miss Moss. Alliage is wonderfully balanced just the way it is.

The cool white florals seem a dry counterpoint to the sweet galbanum. And galbanum’s lasting chalkiness lines up perfectly with a resinous base that gives depth and a slow-moving quality. Myrrh? Incense? It all feels very languid and heavy-lidded. I don’t need the bitter green that moss might add. Consider Alliage’s sibling Devin by Aramis for that.

Alliage has a cool quality that implies poise as much as temperature. Its cool impression is similar in to the effect given by mint/basil or camphorous components, but without their harshness or muscle-balm feeling. In cooler weather, Alliage feels forest-like, a bit moist. In my dry southern California heat, Alliage keeps its cool longer and more comfortably than any other perfume I’ve tried. It doesn’t blend with the skin. It’s more like a richly colored clothing accessory, like the perfect tie. It works as an accent and draws the nose’s attention. It doesn’t blend. I think this is how Alliage remains cool through drydown.

Clean and green, not so much tart as a bit sharp. This is one of the few fragrances I wear to work as an RN in a hospital. It’s cool but not quite grass-like, not quite floral. It has wonderful endurance, but after the topnotes, mild sillage. I think it just reads as quality grooming products to my patients and colleagues.

Again the price dilemma. In this case a happy one. Why does this cost so little? It sells at the same department stores that flog haphazardly brewed, blaringly marketed perfumes for 3-4 times the price. Alliage is a distinctive fragrance of high quality and name-droppable pedigree (Bernard Chant) that has been typically well maintained over the years by Estée Lauder. I could wear this forever (were I not so perfume-promiscuous, that is.)

The greenest of all
Alliage is the greenest of all perfumes. In a certain way related to classics like Bandit and Cabochard, Alliage is the opposite of sweetness, the epitomy of coolness. I think it would make a fantastic male fragrance, too, it's crisp, uncompromising and - above all - the work of a genius! I hope they'll never discontinue it.

by Schalkerin
by Schalkerin
Sport Perfume
by Ginger
Standhaft am Fuße des Wasserfalls ...
by MadameLegras
Dieser Baum hat seine besten Tage hinter sich ....
by Turandot
by Arlufkin
by Daljit
by Daljit

Popular Estēe Lauder

Private Collection (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Azurēe by Estēe Lauder Youth-Dew (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Amber Mystique by Estēe Lauder Cinnabar (1978) (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Azurēe (2015) by Estēe Lauder Knowing (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Lauder for Men (Cologne) by Estēe Lauder Beautiful (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Youth-Dew (Perfume) by Estēe Lauder Sensuous Noir by Estēe Lauder Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estēe Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estēe Lauder Estēe (1968) (Super Cologne) by Estēe Lauder Bronze Goddess Azur by Estēe Lauder White Linen (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder White Linen (Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Bronze Goddess 2008 by Estēe Lauder Azurēe Soleil by Estēe Lauder