Azurēe by Estēe Lauder

Azurēe is a popular perfume by Estēe Lauder for women and was released in 1969. The scent is chypre-leathery. Projection and longevity are above-average. It was last marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Bernard Chant

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Artemisia, Basil, Gardenia, Jasmine, Citric notes
Heart Notes Heart NotesMugwort, Geranium, Orris root, Rose, Vetiver, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Leather, Moss, Musk, Patchouli

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 01.09.2019

6.0/10

Mossy leather
Very good animalic/woody/leathery perfume. I find a lot of moss, but the flowers don't stand out imo.

I don't find it sunny or summery at all, nor do I see where the Mediterranean inspiration I've read about elsewhere comes from. Maybe it's just me, I never see those things in any perfumes in this group.

It's recommendable and I do like it very much. I wouldn't buy it though because I already have Cabochard and Miss Balmain. If you have one or more of these, you don't need this one much imo.

jtd
Come on, EL. Let Azurée out of the closet.
Chypres in general and leather chypres more specifically seem to be enormously popular perfume genres among perfume fans. I think their complexities and balances of starkness and richness make them make them ripe for the continuing consideration (read: obsession) of perfume fans (I include myself here). Azurée is a perfect fit for this group. I’ve smelled the current Cabochard, and while it doesn’t appeal to me, I can see the strong family resemblance to Azurée. And I really came to Azurée via Aramis, a sororal (fraternal, you choose) twin to Azurée. (Aramis, unlike the current Cabochard is a leather chypre that I love.) The fact that Estée Lauder continues some of these older fragrances apparently in their original, largely unedited form also means that this is our link back to the good old, bad old swaggering fragrances of the mid 20th century. (Thank you, EL.)

Azurée really matches the description of those iconic fragrances---filling a room, conjuring a presence, having dimension and character. It has all the bitterness of a hard, green chypre, all the dryness of the stark leathers, all the complexity of an era of perfume that had little legal restriction on use of ingredients. Which makes it ridiculously funny to see Azurée described in EL press as “light” and a “woody citrus” as if we were talking about the latest meager masculine with a celebrity name slapped on it. Personally, I would want to own up to this fragrance. It is brilliant, gorgeous and needs no apology or subterfuge. Even the mythology of its origin: Mediterranean colors (well, yes, I guess---Mediterranean covers a lot), citrus (yes, but it’s a blasting dose of bergamot), and sunny (huh?) seem to want to hide this beauty. It is stark to the point of harsh, scorchingly dry, and inedible in the way strong leathers are. It is perfect.

It is remarkably similar to Aramis by Aramis (Bernard Chant, same era, same company---I’ll try to juxtapose them when I write about Aramis.) The two fit spectacularly well in the EL feminine-masculine tradition of Aliage-Devin, Cinnabar-JHL, Aromatic Elixir-Aramis 900.

Two other small points. I don’t really care much about perfume packaging and bottles, but this is my favorite bottle in production. Also, I’m happy to point out that this perfume, in its potent concentration (“pure fragrance spray”) is shockingly inexpensive, and possibly the best-spent money in perfumery.
7.5 10.0 10.0 9.0/10

leathery sunshine
Hard to pick out notes in this. It’s like leathery sunshine. Azuree is a strong-minded heiress in her 30s, in California in the late 1960s, who goes around in a crisp white cotton shirt and riding breeches, smoking cigarettes. She seems tough to outsiders, but really is very kind and loves her horses. In other words, this could be called "Eau de Katharine Hepburn." It's not something most women would want to wear every day, but could be handy when one is called upon to show strength and independence.

by Pluto
by Turtle
by Sherapop
by Sherapop

Popular Estēe Lauder

Youth-Dew (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Pleasures (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Sensuous Noir by Estēe Lauder Amber Mystique by Estēe Lauder White Linen (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Sensuous (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Private Collection (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Knowing (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Cinnabar (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Sensuous Nude by Estēe Lauder Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Modern Muse (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Azurēe by Estēe Lauder Beautiful (Eau de Toilette) by Estēe Lauder Beyond Paradíse by Estēe Lauder Wood Mystique by Estēe Lauder Bronze Goddess 2008 by Estēe Lauder Spellbound (1991) (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estēe Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estēe Lauder