Beautiful (1985) Eau de Toilette

Beautiful (Eau de Toilette) by Estēe Lauder
Bottle Design: Ira Levy, Alan Carré (rectengular version), Pierre Dinand (conus version)

Beautiful (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Estēe Lauder for women and was released in 1985. The scent is floral-woody. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Top Notes Top NotesLily, Mandarin, Pot marigold, Rose, Tuberose
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Orange blossom, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Sandalwood, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 24.07.2019

6.0 8.0 9.0 7.5/10

Minigolf
American power hum with cleanliness factor
"Beautiful" --- translated one to one= wonderful, glorious! And that's what this Lauder fragrance expresses.
And for my nose he is "typically American"... forgive me for this classification... i just feel this cliché...
Beautiful" is a very floral and fresh fragrance right from the start. But in this "freshness" there is a gently admonishing undertone. Beside rose and mandarin a kind of "Good -situated-people impression" creeps in, a little sweeter, a little "bigger" than in comparable scents of flowery type.
Tuberose, subliminal, but very well perceptible.
The composition remains "clean" and "well situated" in the course, despite the indicated, otherwise rather "erotic" flower scents of jasmine, orange blossom and ylang ylang.
Perhaps it is the successful dose of lily of the valley, fresh green, "pastel", that confirms this impression.
It is then a rather "innocent" kind of eroticism, unconsciously, like in a flirt, in which it does not come to the "whole", only a caress, a non-binding kiss...
Due to the woods and the vetiver, which I can see well later, the "Lauder" even becomes almost a "fresh laundry that hangs on the line fragrance".
A splendid, American "force humming", harmoniously set in scene.
"My" fragrance wouldn't be "Beautiful" right now, but I pay respect to the perfumers who created it this way and not differently.
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

To the Special One
The good memories that this scent brings to me. How much I loved and I love this perfume.
This is one of those fragrances that only looks good in some women, with an unique, special, beautiful character.
I miss the 80s, I miss you special one.

Optimistic name.
On a recent day of sniffing some department store staples that I’d never tried, I happened on EL’s Beautiful. I’d never read Tania Sanchez’s review in The Guide , so I laughed out loud once I did. On smelling Beautiful I thought, this is Etat Libre’s Jasmin et Cigarette’s long-lost aunt, Rose et Cigar.

I grew up in a time and place in Connecticut where shade-grown tobacco could be smelled throughout the summer. In Beautiful’s topnotes, I can recall that scent, but in this case the tobacco combines with rose. It’s a gorgeous match, but unfortunately it doesn’t last very long. The tobacco note fades fairly quickly and Beautiful winds down through a few stages of rosy-approximation/not-rose to a semi-sweet, non-descript floral. I reckon any drydown is likely to disappoint me after my topnote trip down memory lane, but I still give Beautiful a glass-half-full thumbs up.
5.0 7.5 7.5 3.0/10

When a Wedding is a Prelude to Divorce...
My perspective on Estée Lauder BEAUTIFUL has always been summed up by a slogan: "BEAUTIFUL is not beautiful," which for years served as a mnemonic device that steered me clear of this fragrance at every turn. Until retesting this creation for the purpose of this review, I never used the purse spray in my collection, and now I remember why.

It's not that BEAUTIFUL is another big bodacious venus flytrap floral typical of this era. It's not that BEAUTIFUL smells "old" or outdated to me. It's not that I have any objection, in principle, to wearing a bouquet comprising every flower on the planet.

No, the reason why BEAUTIFUL is not beautiful to me is only because it includes a synthetic note which to me is the olfactory equivalent of the sight of canned spinach. It just makes me sick. The same note is present in both PLEASURES and INTUITION. In PLEASURES, it is so light that I can tolerate the scent to some extent. In INTUITION, the same note is so strong that it sent me screaming back to the EL counter for an exchange, as the very thought of ever wearing that fragrance again filled me with nausea and, yes, dread.

I am relieved that most perfumes do not contain this mystery note. I had thought that it was only in some of the Estée Lauder creations, but I recently discovered it in a few others as well...

The good news is that understanding the effect that this note has on me helps me to understand people who recoil at the whiff of their own idiosyncratic bête noire. It also serves to explain the strong, polarized reactions that people often have to perfumes with a powerful identity.

So, if you can take this note, you may love BEAUTIFUL. And that's just fine with me!
2.5 10.0 10.0 9.0/10

The ultimate wedding fragrance
The ultimate wedding fragrance. The unification of Man and Woman the notes unifies each others for example
the Woman; Black current Fruity notes
cassia Galbanum Bergamount lemon
mimose magnolia Carnation Tuberose Orange blossom chomormile narcissus
Fresia Lilac jasmine pink violet sage
Neroli marigold Ylang Ylang Lily of the vally Geranium & Narcissus
The Man; Sandalwood Musk Vanilla
Vetiver & Ceder it blends wonderfully
together Like the wedding vows
i give it a 5
5.0 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Wedding bells
This is possibly one of Estee Lauder's best fragrances. I can see why this is such a popular choice for a bride on her wedding day, and unlike most Estee Lauder fragrances, the synthetic notes in this are not as strong.

Mature? Yes, it most definitely requires some maturity, sophistication and class to pull this one off. Old lady scent? Certainly not. Although this may smell like your typical 80's floral, there is something about it that never fails in gaining attention and compliments, especially from men.

This is a soft and romantic fragrance with fantastic lasting strength. One spray goes a very long way in regards to wearing this.

DorothyGrace 4 years ago
Original, fantastic. Echo's version, less quality but nonetheless fantastic. Today's version less quality than Echo's but almost fantastic+2

by Cincy
by Chanelle
by Iris983
by Iris983

Popular Estēe Lauder

Youth-Dew (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Pleasures (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Sensuous Noir by Estēe Lauder White Linen (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Sensuous (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Amber Mystique by Estēe Lauder Private Collection (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Knowing (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Cinnabar (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Sensuous Nude by Estēe Lauder Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Modern Muse (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Azurēe by Estēe Lauder Beautiful (Eau de Toilette) by Estēe Lauder Beyond Paradíse by Estēe Lauder Wood Mystique by Estēe Lauder Bronze Goddess 2008 by Estēe Lauder Spellbound (1991) (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estēe Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estēe Lauder