Beyond Paradíse (2003)

Beyond Paradíse by Estēe Lauder
Bottle Design: John Fling

Beyond Paradíse is a perfume by Estēe Lauder for women and was released in 2003. The scent is floral-fruity. It is still in production.

Calice Becker

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Blue hyacinth, Jabuticaba, Orange blossom, Philodendron
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Italian honeysuckle, Orchid, Mahonia
Base Notes Base NotesAmbrette seed, Broad-leaved paperbark, Natal plum blossom, Zebrano wood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 08.07.2019

The scent has a few unusual notes listed in its pyramid. A lot of them derive from Eden Project, a botanical garden near Bodelva in Cornwall, England.

9.0/10

Tropical delight
I didn't like this when I tried it at the perfume counter and so I snubbed it despite glowing reviews. There was a synthetic top note that I can't name and it just smelled watery and weak. Last Christmas there was a gift set with 4 fragrance minis and Beyond Paradise was in it. I purchased the set for travel purposes and grudgingly used this fragrance. This really started to grow on me as it changed by the hour. It was like walking through a tropical rain forest where you smell one flower, then another, and then several in combination. I could smell wet tree bark somewhere in the distance...but barely. This is definatley a fragrance that you can't knock until you try it.

Sky
Triffid-juice...or everything but the perfume equivalent of the kitchen sink
Can you pull off Envy with aplomb? Does Eden work well for you? Have you the right chemistry to tame Calyx? If you can work wet-florals or answer "yes" to any of the above then you may enjoy this unusual floral fume.

In all honesty, on my skin, this scent sickens & dies, turning a testing into a stomach-twisting headache. I am not a big, bold floral gal but along with the flowers I also find stagnant water, mildew on sodden earth &, of all things, ashtrays (chemistry & scent-perception is such a strange thing!). That said, I can truly appreciate the concept.

Here is a floral that aims to conjure up the still, heavy, heady moist air of a hot-house full of exotic blooms. Others (say a cool-skinned blonde) may marvel at the intoxicating pervasive perfumes but to my nose these strange flowers, wet woods & over-ripe fruits seem sad & trapped, removed from their natural environment.

The start is green, sappy, peppery a little bitter. This settles to a humid, white floral heart where slighlty sickly fruits & that sour-stem note add to the still, moist, heady throng. It continues to grow & glow on my skin, a dark vine entwined round my wrist, ending in a slick of wet, woody warmth.

BP has the uncanny knack of being unique & yet it reminds me of other fragrances, many of which do not sit easily on my skin. I find the hyacinth from Envy is very present along with the green note of Eden & white florals found in Premier Jour Soleil.

Not for me at all - but cool-skinned floral-lovers should give it a try.

jtd
Not quite 10 years later and it smells very era-specific.
Beyond Paradise is as alien as Mugler’s Angel, if not more. But EL hides its freak in a way that Mugler wouldn’t consider. The chief accord in Angel is synthetic in that it resembles food, but is poisonous. BP gives you a fetching nosegay, but one made of shards of glass, sugar-coated with laundry powder. Angel was a utterly novel concept when it was released, with an accord that leaned on the jarring side of juxtaposition and therefore read as synthetic. BP is so like so many things you’ve smelled before, most of them scented, functional commercial products. But it’s teased together into what some would call an idealized flower. I’d call it a floral least common denominator. Our noses learn over the years of sniffing cleaning products and the like to equate so-called “floral” with flowers. BP relies on this implied language of commercial scent, whispers a translation to us in press-release English and we believe that this scent is based on the Utopia Flower that grows Somewhere or other.

OK, that ‘s the jaded view of corporate perfumery. As to the actual creation of this scent, it is impeccably composed, and I can’t imagine the work that went into it. But again, least common denomiator. BP is a bit like a predictable but popular Broadway show. It speaks in a theatrical language that we’re all guaranteed to understand and doesn’t advance the state of the art an inch. We talk of perfumery as art, and we should. BP is entertainment, but is it art?
7.5 10.0 7.5 8.0/10

Beyond Paradise
I pick up a pervasive amount of Amber
Frangrapani jasmine That all i can smell
i could not pick up the other scents
so these are more dominient. which i'm not a Amber lover. What i think About
Estee Lauder Perfumes that it's a mixed bag you got good ones and you got some
bad ones This one i'll give like a 6.5
a Little above Average Perfume.

And also the drydown is a mixture of Coconut vs Honeysuckle which make me
decide this isn't my favorite Perfume
i don't really care for those scent.
I loved the Rrounded teardroped shaped
Bottle with it's Rainbow Glass Coloring
I'll Recomened for Summer or the beach
7.5 7.5 10.0 4.0/10

Colourful mess
I don't know what was going through my head when I decided that I actually liked this fragrance. Trying it on my wrist today made me change my mind completely.

Sickeningly sweet, synthetic and reminiscent of toilet spray was how I perceived Beyond Paradise. I just couldn't get this perfume off my wrist fast enough.

Definitely long-lasting, it took 3 different types of soaps to get this one off.

by Zora
by Somebody
by Thornyrose
by Thornyrose

Popular Estēe Lauder

Youth-Dew (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Pleasures (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Sensuous Noir by Estēe Lauder Amber Mystique by Estēe Lauder Sensuous (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder White Linen (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Private Collection (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Knowing (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Cinnabar (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Sensuous Nude by Estēe Lauder Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Modern Muse (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Azurēe by Estēe Lauder Beautiful (Eau de Toilette) by Estēe Lauder Beyond Paradíse by Estēe Lauder Wood Mystique by Estēe Lauder Bronze Goddess 2008 by Estēe Lauder Spellbound (1991) (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estēe Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estēe Lauder