Estēe (1968)Super Cologne

Version from 1968
Estēe (1968) (Super Cologne) by Estēe Lauder

Estēe (1968) (Super Cologne) is a popular perfume by Estēe Lauder for women and was released in 1968. The scent is floral-chypre. It was last marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Raspberry, Peach, Citrus fruits
Heart Notes Heart NotesLily-of-the-valley, Rose, Jasmine, Carnation, Ylang-ylang, Honey, Iris
Base Notes Base NotesCedarwood, Musk, Sandalwood, Styrax, Moss

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 14.03.2020.

This fragrance was available in the concentrations 'Pure Fragrance'/'Super Perfume' and 'Super Eau de Parfum' (internationally) or 'Super Cologne' (USA). At times this scent is also referred to as Estee Super. However, this is incorrect in so far that Super refers to a concentration designation created by the house of Lauder. The advertisement introduces it as the first "super perfume".

Daisyvision
All around very natural & comforting scent.
If the sound of softly blowing wind chimes could be bottled, this would be it. Aldehydes and floral notes dance together perfectly in its initial feminine, soapy opening. Once that wanes, woods and spices start shining through, as well as a syrupy sweet stickiness. After about an hour, I could faintly detect the fruity notes, which was a nice surprise. All around very natural & comforting scent.

A lot of older aldehydic/chypre perfumes like this get shrugged off as 'old lady' fragrances, but I completely disagree. This one has a definite vintage vibe. It's very '70s chic in my opinion, but not in some old, reserved or stale way. Instead, I picture sunkissed and freckled skin, feathered tresses with flowered hair garlands & floppy hats. Perfect for a carefree boho/hippie vibe.

jtd
A gin martini of a woody floral.
Very few fragrances have such a qualitative difference between a light dose and a drenching. If applied heavily, Estee has the definitive “bug spray accord” that gets discussed in ‘old lady’ perfumes. I don’t deny that, and in fact I enjoy it. For the benefit of those I love, though , I wouldn’t wear Estée at this dosage unless I were home alone, with no plans to see anybody before my next shower. But with a very light hand, and probably at least ½ hour after administration for a cooling down, this is a beautiful dry, aldehydic, woody floral. At this volume, Estée has moderate sillage, excellent endurance and becomes pleasantly soapy. I know some see this as a floral chypre, and they likely have more discriminating noses than I, but I don’t get the moss. I do wonder, though, if it’s there behind the long-lasting aldehyde in Estée and I just can’t see it.

With this quality and concentration (Pure Fragrance Spray, huh? Never understood the EL terminology.) Estée, along with Alliage , Private Collection and Azurée, represent the best-spent money in perfumery. Remarkable that this stuff is so inexpensive.

Clear, Crisp and Clean Floral Aldehyde
Given some of the negative reviews of Estee Lauder ESTEE (not only here, but elsewhere as well...), I had put off testing the bottle I acquired for fear that it would prove to be another reformulated JE REVIENS-type experience. In fact, all my fears were for naught.

ESTEE is another floral aldehyde in the EL line-up, a sibling to WHITE LINEN, not a purely floral perfume. ESTEE also inhabits the same general olfactory neighborhood as CALANDRE, which I tested earlier today and was not really very excited about (though I should say that I may have been sniffing an inferior reformulation... on ne sait jamais ces jours-la!).

On comparing these three fragrances, I find that I actually prefer ESTEE's brightness, clarity, crispness, and general cleanness. However, I should also warn prospective sniffers that the first ten seconds or so are rather sour and off-putting. Fortunately, things improve significantly after that. I can see, though, how some people would be immediately turned off by the opening. I also do not understand how anyone can claim to have tested this perfume if they've never let it mingle with and develop on their skin. ESTEE is an excellent example of how a perfume "on paper" and "on skin" will be two very different things about which very different evaluations are bound to be made, even by the same perfumista, it seems to me.

I definitely recommend ESTEE for those who are mourning the discontinuation of CALANDRE. In fact, I think that ESTEE is better than CALANDRE, except for the first ten seconds. Needless to say, only aldehyde lovers need apply!

by Cincy
by EvaK
by Rosaviola
by Rosaviola

Popular Estēe Lauder

Private Collection (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Azurēe by Estēe Lauder Amber Mystique by Estēe Lauder Knowing (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Youth-Dew (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Cinnabar (1978) (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Lauder for Men (Cologne) by Estēe Lauder Aliage (1972) / Alliage by Estēe Lauder Sensuous Noir by Estēe Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estēe Lauder Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estēe Lauder White Linen (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Beautiful (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Wood Mystique by Estēe Lauder Sensuous (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Azurēe Soleil by Estēe Lauder Bronze Goddess 2008 by Estēe Lauder Azurēe (2015) by Estēe Lauder Sensuous Nude by Estēe Lauder