Knowing 1988Eau de Parfum

Knowing (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder
Bottle Design Ira Levy
Knowing (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Estēe Lauder for women and was released in 1988. The scent is chypre-floral. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Elie Roger

Top Notes Top NotesMimosa, Plum, Pittosporum, Rose, Tuberose
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Orange blossom, Patchouli
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Vetiver

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 20.01.2021.

MisskMissk 9 years ago

„An enticingly dry floral”

My face is often the look of utter disgust when it comes to sampling Estee Lauder fragrances, with a few exceptions, one being Knowing. I didn't think...
ScentwitchScentwitch 2 months ago

„Too too much”

Too too much
I was super excited to try KNOWING because of the great reviews, however, I lived through the 80s and it reminds me of something I can’t put my finger on. It’s extremely strong and almost nauseating to me. I tried it on my arm and waited and waited and waited to like it and I just can’t. There are so many scents in this perfume that I just can’t decipher any one thing other than a mishmash of funk.

It is extremely strong and heady. I can imagine a supermodel from the 1980s wearing it. It definitely shows strength of character, which apparently I don’t have enough of to wear this one. And the smell doesn’t improve over time. Maybe it’s my body chemistry that doesn’t work with it, but even the test strip I sprayed on made me want to leave the room. My husband likes it on me, but I can’t stand myself wearing Knowing.

I’m guessing that a lot of people who like this scent didn’t live through the 80s and therefore didn’t smell anybody who was wearing it. I bought a huge bottle knowing (no pun intended) for sure that I would love it and I’m sadly disappointed that I just don’t no matter how hard I try to.
The beauty of melancholy
Do you know what it's like to be in the forest?
November.
When dense fog wraps the day in a soft cape.
The leaves yellowed and deprived of all strength,
quietly trickling on her bed of moss,
on rich earthy ground.
Moisture pregnant the breath of the forest.
You hear his melancholic sigh:
It's all good.
Laying down to rest, not to sleep,
just to be with himself.
Until everything wakes up again.
I'm sure it is.
Knowing is a perfume of deep positive melancholy.
A dense cape, protective as of course,
without being hard.
Of pleasant spice, almost liqueurish,
delicious, with a slightly sweet note, the prelude.
Plum is present here, finely woven with a gentle tuberose.
With the first breath begins a pleasure, which will accompany me for many hours.
Flower through woven earthy aromas.
Jasmine and rose are in harmonious balance, protected by dark green patchouli.
Vetiver, with its balsamic earthy power, is calming, like a good friend.
Never intrusive, always self-evident.

The bottle nestles into my hand as a noble piece of jewellery.
A flatterer I hate to put aside.
Its corners and edges as if smoothed by the tides.
Valuable and heavy.
The honey-golden content radiates warmth, with cool elegance.
Quietly I hear his tender whisper:
Do you love me?

Yes... Certainly.

80’s glamour...
Powerful sensual chypre. Just like many others that belong in the same ballpark and share similarities (Paloma, Diva, Eau du Soir..), Knowing goes from executive decisions in the morning to a theater function in the evening, before winding in an underground club. While the others feel more ‘take no prisoners’, Knowing shares the debauchery of La Nuit; they don’t smell alike but they could be sisters. Carnality is the theme du jour!

Honey is majorly present in Knowing, just like in a fragrance 20 years younger and inspired by it; Soir de Lune. And if it’s not, then it must be the pitosporum which does a similar job in Blonde (Versace). Opening with a rush of aldehydes, Knowing feels animalic and honeyed from the very start; melon? Not so much, but plum adds a beautiful juiciness that wraps the whole composition. On some days, I get the florals distinctly but on most the blending is so well made that I just get lost in it. Some days it’s powdery and I think ‘oh, there’s the mimosa and the orris’. Some days the woody facets shine more, or the spicy side, and I sense the patchouli, and the sandalwood, and the spices...always floral, narcotic, and never demure. Oakmoss shines big time from the heart onwards and never fades away.
Civet is a major player from the opening to the drydown, and this erotic dirtiness that never fades away, but engulfs the other notes in unashamed badness is what links it to La Nuit; elegant, well made, classy, but with a dirty side that can’t be hidden. Knowing is a gorgeously sweet chypre, less on the rose side, and more on the oakmoss and white floral one. Gorgeous on both men and women.

Reviewing a first release vintage splash, and comparing with a sample I have from the mid 2000’s, up until then Knowing held pretty well. I don’t know about current bottles but my vintage packs the punch of a lifetime. And it’s all the better for it! One of the best Lauder creations; the woman knew what she was doing!
Aurora borealis
If Knowing would be a color, it would be green for me with a golden shimmer, like the aurora borealis... ethereally beautiful. He does not have the deep green darkness and melancholy that is characteristic of many chypresses.

The fragrance starts with a radiantly beautiful prelude. The tuberose shines and is accompanied by a juicy plum. Mimosa prevents us from drifting away flowery and gives the fragrance a delicate-tart note. This top note lasts for an incredibly long time. And it is precisely the aura of tuberose that makes Knowing a holiday fragrance for me. Gradually the stormy start calms down and gives way to an earthy-warm patchouli. The jasmine is soft and well balanced. Here the silage decreases somewhat, but is still above average. With the grandeur of a stole it lies on my little black.
Only after many hours does the oak wood base surround me like an aura of happiness. The shelf life on my skin is about 10 hours. What a celebration:

You received me, laughing like a child.
You have accompanied me, protecting and warming like a mother.
And you bedded me, lovingly caressing me like a man.

I thank the nice Parfuma for providing the bottling. At the first test I would already be asked about this scent and also my husband and (much more important because the bigger critic...) my son liked Knowing very much.

Knowing the Best
One of the best classic smelling perfume ever. Initiallly, I was couldnt stand its powerful smell on me, so I didn’t like it, and it just hapened one day when my big sister wore Knowing before she went for work. It was truly wonderful on her. I am glad that I still keep my Knowing.

Knowing...for knowing what's sophisticated
"I've always ? perfumes. Perfumes of yesteryear are oakmoss-heavy. Therefore, I've always ? oakmoss."

Suffice it to say that when an oakmoss comes along and is friendly towards me I am delighted. It is a rare occurrence but one which I welcome. I hold dear the scents that have survived my change in body chemistry and the new scents that fly in the face of my dislike. One of the few survivors is Knowing. Knowing was probably one of the last classical chypres created before giving way to ‘fruitchoulies’, otherwise known as modern chypres. She represents a bygone era but I do not doubt she will be the first to usher in a chypre renaissance, where oakmoss will be as revered as whisky during The Prohibition of the last century. As oakmoss faces mandates and enforcements that will lead to its olfactory extinction Knowing will be smuggled through backdoors and displayed covertly on vanity tables throughout the world.

I don’t know exactly what it is about Knowing that is so alluring, so sensual, so boldly feminine—though not to say this would not work splendidly on a man’s chemistry. I can only describe it as a fragrant equivalent to MAC’s iconic red lipstick, Ruby Woo. I don’t know a woman alive who hasn’t tried it on and not felt like the ultimate femme fatale. Maybe it is the intoxicating mixture of voluptuous roses, mysterious oakmoss, and carnal civet.

Yeah, I can see where a new generation of men and women might feel repulsed. As much as I love my gourmands, none can spell out S-E-X like Knowing (or, really, at all). Knowing is deeply romantic and erotically moving. It’s old fashioned and—not to be crude—it’s the reason a new generation came into existence. There are probably a few readers out there who were born in the 1990s who owe their existence to Knowing (sorry, kids, to go there). It was a perfume for seduction. It wasn’t meant to be pretty or fun. Knowing had a job to do and she did it so very well.

Knowing is also a reminder that once long ago oakmoss and I had a history together. Oakmoss was never more zaftig than it is here in Knowing. She's larger than life and certainly intimidating but you'll find no better joyride companion than her.

Guapo
Charm at its purest essence
I remember the premiere of this fantastic scent at the end of the 80s. A unique fragrance, singular, exquisite, which featured women from yuppie generation.
Today it remains a pearl from Estee Lauder, along with other fragrances from that Designer.
I just Love it. A woman who wears this fragrance is very, very charming.

Knowing Will Amp Your Inner Self To New Heights
Eight hours later I could still luxuriate in the fumes of this heavily decadent floral chypre. It's not heavy to those around you, unless you spray more than necessary. A light sprinkling is all that's necessary of this beautiful fragrance.
There are many notes to consider and each individual picks up on different ones. But one thought remains constant. This is not a perfume for the weak and languid. It is vibrant, it is bodacious and unrestrained in the aura it suspends around its wearer.
The longer it sits on your skin the warmer the wood notes become. The rose lingers like an intoxicating first deep whiff you've taken from a bouquet-fresh and sweet but not overpowering. The civet flows through thickly for those of us who love our animalistic scents and the patchouli is darkly obsessional. Think dark nights and wicked thoughts in a good way.
This is a magnificent chypre that will take you back to silk dressing gowns, bakelite cigarette holders with rhinestones, smoky eyes, red lips and the mysterious look of the pencil-eyebrows of the 1930's. Intimidating? Of course. But in a cock of the eyebrow manner. This is not a sinister perfume. I suppose it could be. It is a perfume for the strong. And the strong can do anything.
Knowing is a perfect name for this juice. The poised and the confident need only apply to wear this power-house. Be prepared for the consequences. Knowing will amp your inner Self.

Craving something woody
I bought this because I was craving a woody, earthy chypre type of fragrance. I am not very good at picking out individual notes, however all in all, I find this to be mostly a mossy mimose. I thought, no way am I going to detect any rose in this with all those other notes, but I do. There is this one lone soft powdery rose amongst all those woody(sandalwood), mossy, patchouli notes. The only other floral I am picking up is the mimose, which I believe is stronger than even the rose.
This is a very rich, deep intoxicating scent. But there also is a freshness to it, like a cool breeze blowing through the woods, probably the aldehydes. Normally I am not fond of aldehydes but it works with this one, and it's not over the top. Thankfully I don't smell the civit. This is a sillage monster, so just a couple of sprays and I'm good. I think too much of this would be sickening, but applied lightly it is delightful.

jtd
Biggest example of a genre know for size.
Knowing is a rose chypre. A large category, rose chypres can be dark, fruity, sweet, leathery, day-glo, animalic. It’s a fragrance family that has a large range of tones. Take all the forms a chypre might take and multiply that by all the facets of rose. What distinguishes Knowing is its lack of sweet elements. Ungaro’s Diva has its honey and Paloma Picasso’s Paloma has sweet balsams. Knowing has a dry woodiness that perfectly ties the moss to the spiced rose. The key here is the rose. Not a dewy rose, not a flaming rose. This rose is dry verging on bitter and is in perfect accord with the moss. This is the fragrance I'd recommend when people ask for a rose that a man could wear, which is funny because I'd wear anything I like whether targeted to boys or girls. Also funny because the EL fragrances always seem to have that suggestion of solid, practical American femininity (I guess I'm falling for marketing here.) But you know what? Knowing shares as much (categorically) with the rose chypres as it does (in tone) with men's power fragrances of the 80s. It is huge, woody, has preternatural sillage and a half-life of days. My god, this could be Antaeus.

Jazzy76Jazzy76 1 year ago
The class made scent: perfectly balanced between floral and oriental notes, it keeps its AristocraticAristocratic aplomb with a discrete sillage.Top!
TruckladyTrucklady 2 years ago
Whoa, Black Betty!
GuapoGuapo 5 years ago
Charm at its purest essence.

Ich wünsche allen ein schönes und entspanntes Weihnachtsfest
Zeitlos schön
by DorianG
by DorianG
by ClarasTante
by ClarasTante
The author of The Perfume Zodiac considers this highly suitable for Leo women... I am not a Leo, but love it anyway.
From The Perfume Zodiac. The author recommends Knowing for Leo women in particular.
by Turmfalke
by Sunnyiland
by Schahram
by Schahram

Popular Estēe Lauder

Private Collection (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Azurēe by Estēe Lauder Amber Mystique by Estēe Lauder Youth-Dew (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Beautiful (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Cinnabar (1978) (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Aliage (1972) / Alliage by Estēe Lauder Lauder for Men (Cologne) by Estēe Lauder Sensuous Noir by Estēe Lauder White Linen (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estēe Lauder Azurēe (2015) by Estēe Lauder Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estēe Lauder Estēe (1968) (Super Cologne) by Estēe Lauder Youth-Dew (Perfume) by Estēe Lauder Sensuous (Eau de Parfum) by Estēe Lauder Bronze Goddess 2008 by Estēe Lauder Azurēe Soleil by Estēe Lauder Wood Mystique by Estēe Lauder